2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t see how it could be bullshit. Yeah he won’t win young people by 20 points but I could definitely see 10 or so. That picture sealed everything for him because people are dumb and easily swayed. 

You could see Trump winning young people by 10 or more?  You really are a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t see how it could be bullshit. Yeah he won’t win young people by 20 points but I could definitely see 10 or so.

Even in Collie Station, Trump will not win young people by 10 points or more.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

That picture is already old news. Politics moves fast and Americans are always ready to move to the next story. Is anyone even talking about that anymore?

I think the assassination attempt probably brought back a small amount of staying home Republican apathetic voters, and pulled a few "libertarians" off the RFK train. But, yeah, not a single person voting for Trump because of that picture was EVER going to vote for Biden or Harris. 

My because concern remaining is how many of RFKjr's ~8% come home to Trump if (once) he drops out and endorses Donald vs. how many stick to their guns and still vote 3rd party out of protest.

I think worrying about the single issue “Free Palestine” voters is a mistake. Many if not most will eventually vote dem considering the alternative, and if not, there is no changing their mind because no American politician can win a national election with a “Free Palestine” position. Biden has criticized Netanyahu and called for a cease fire. Pretty sure Harris will continue that position. Shapiro has criticized Netanyahu and if he hasn’t been pro cease fire yet he’ll either support Harris’ position, or at least won’t contradict her on the campaign trail. PA is a must win and if he gets it, it’s a good pick. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Is the argument against Pete for VP that too many people won't go for a black woman and a gay man? Are there any others? 

That's pretty much it. But sadly, it's a valid argument. Pete was born about 25 years too early. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

42 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I guess you have to admire the commitment to the bit, as weird as it is. Like did he wake up one morning and go "I want my internet persona to be known for being wrong all the time." 

I don’t know who has the worse bit—him or Icono

• Haha 1

Just now, NorthLoop said:

That's pretty much it. But sadly, it's a valid argument. Pete was born about 25 years too early. 

He’s young. I’m not worried 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Is the argument against Pete for VP that too many people won't go for a black woman and a gay man? Are there any others? 

This is 99% of it.  Blacks won’t turn out nearly as much for a ticket with a gay white dude on it.  But also, Pete (who I think is potentially a legit genius, and at minimum the most gifted communicator I have ever seen) lacks the kind of governing experience typical of a POTUS/VP candidate.  He’s never served in congress, he’s never been a governor, and he doesn’t have experience in an executive authority role in a large organization; being in the cabinet made it MUCH more reasonable to justify him on the ticket, but it would be loads better if he had been a governor or senator by now.  But yeah, it’s the gay thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Pete only appeals to a very narrow slice of the electorate 

Is this true though? I'd think he has pretty broad appeal. Doesn't he even have the begrudging respect of Fox viewers, for his years of slicing and dicing idiots on there?

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think that's most of the reason.  But if we're looking solely at the electorate map, I guess you can also argue that Indiana really isn't in play, so a VP candidate from another crucial swing state that is winnable for the Dems, like PA, is more important.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Pete only appeals to a very narrow slice of the electorate and they're already guaranteed to vote for the ticket regardless of who is on it.

This

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Pete only appeals to a very narrow slice of the electorate and they're already guaranteed to vote for the ticket regardless of who is on it.

Well, that's not true. There are independents and classic Republicans and small town people that like him. The dude won IOWA as a nobody. 

That said, he's better suited as a surrogate in this election. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Is this true though? I'd think he has pretty broad appeal. Doesn't he even have the begrudging respect of Fox viewers, for his years of slicing and dicing idiots on there?

No, man.  Why would their viewership respect him for telling them what they don't want to hear? They just forget what he said and remember that they hate the gay guy.

Pete appeals to literally two types of people: (1) grandmas who love what a nice respectful and high achiever boy he is and who want to pinch his cheeks, and (2) liberal political perverts who love to watch him dunk on bad Republican arguments.  The second happens to be most of the posters on this board, but we're very fucking far from the average undecided American voter.   

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

* poll of men standing around at Hoffpauir’s in Lampasas at 230pm on a Monday afternoon. 

If this is in any way accurate then Trump wins in a landslide of historic proportions.

Here's how that group (listed as 18-29; don't know why Quinnipac used 18-34) voted in the recent elections:

2012: Obama +23

2016: Hillabeast +30 (that demo only represented 13% of the electorate; the 50+ age groups represented 56% of the electorate and Trump won that demo handily).

2020: Biden +26

2022 midterms: Democrats +37

So this is either a typo, the worst sampling error of all time, or the greatest demographic shift of all time.. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Well, that's not true. There are independents and classic Republicans and small town people that like him. The dude won IOWA as a nobody. 

That said, he's better suited as a surrogate in this election. 

He didn't win Iowa, he won Iowa's Democratic presidential caucus. This is like saying Bernie is popular in Pennsylvania because he won the primary there in 2016 (but even less accurate, because at least that was a primary).

Edited by wildcat09

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Combined, those figures blow away rocketboi's pledge.  What he actually donates is going to be much lower.

Elon will say anything to get attention.  His words<>his actions.  Oh I'm sure he's just donating advertising on X...  you know $45m worth.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

This is 99% of it.  Blacks won’t turn out nearly as much for a ticket with a gay white dude on it.  But also, Pete (who I think is potentially a legit genius, and at minimum the most gifted communicator I have ever seen) lacks the kind of governing experience typical of a POTUS/VP candidate.  He’s never served in congress, he’s never been a governor, and he doesn’t have experience in an executive authority role in a large organization; being in the cabinet made it MUCH more reasonable to justify him on the ticket, but it would be loads better if he had been a governor or senator by now.  But yeah, it’s the gay thing.

Buy a condo in Scottsdale

Declare Az his home state. 

Have Hobbs appoint him to fill Kelly's Senate seat when he becomes VP

Profit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

If this is in any way accurate then Trump wins in a landslide of historic proportions.

Here's how that group (listed as 18-29; don't know why Quinnipac used 18-34) voted in the recent elections:

2012: Obama +23

2016: Hillabeast +30 (that demo only represented 13% of the electorate; the 50+ age groups represented 56% of the electorate and Trump won that demo handily).

2020: Biden +26

2022 midterms: Democrats +37

So this is either a typo, the worst sampling error of all time, or the greatest demographic shift of all time.. 

It was taken last week, when Kamala as a candidate was merely an idea and not reality.  Bandwagon/vibes effect is real and not shown in these numbers.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It was taken last week, when Kamala as a candidate was merely an idea and not reality.  Bandwagon/vibes effect is real and not shown in these numbers.

It’s going to take a week plus before polling reflects reality. Everyone trying to drop some snap polls 1 or 2 days later 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

Continued opposition to a ceasefire at this point would go against official US foreign policy. If he still holds the same stance today that he did in December, that will be a problem. He is on record as favoring a two-state solution, so that's good and in line with the policy stance we've officially held for at least 30 years.

One thing to consider is that Kamala is married to a Jewish husband. If she were to also choose a Jewish running mate, it could provide her with the cover she would need as president to make some hard calls. Of course, that hypothetical wouldn't help her garner votes from a needed voting bloc in Michigan to get elected before she could even cross that bridge.

Thanks for doing the digging.

I've looked at some of y'all's discussion. I don't see the religion of one's running mate or husband doing anything to sway American voter opinion of whatever she may decide. Y'all are smart guys and you seem to be assuming the electorate will give more than cursory consideration, when they give any at all, to substantive presidential decisions.

They don't. They won't. 

The main factor in any choice for VP should be simply can you find much to hate about him? It likely has to be a "him" because a lot of shitheads in this country can find something to hate about most women. This includes woman doing some of the hating. 

There will be no debate of issues that will sway anybody very much. Find somebody who can survive and even fight well during the hateful shitstorm about to come. Y'all know the candidates way better than I do, but don't overthink it or even think it much at all.

Read the two sentence summary and make your choice.

It's Idiot World, Jake.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

* poll of men standing around at Hoffpauir’s in Lampasas at 230pm on a Monday afternoon. 

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Polls have become like everything else -- meaningless through the deluge of bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Christ, even this one is a doozy. 

Trump pulled 6% of the black vote in his WIN in 2016. He's not going to more than triple that number against a black woman.

• Hook 'Em 2

JD Vance is the perfect antidote to women looking at voting for Trump. He reminds women exactly what Republican men think of them. I love that Trump is stuck with him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Christ, even this one is a doozy. 

Trump pulled 6% of the black vote in his WIN in 2016. He's not going to more than triple that number against a black woman.

It was like 12% in 2020. I don’t see it either. Maybe 15%

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm going to generalize that any woman who votes for trump is either in an abusive relationship or a window licker.
Nobody hates their own like a person that believes they can reap some perceived benefit from it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1