2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Kelly, Shapiro, Buttigieg...all of a sudden that democratic bench is getting real fucking deep for the future. 

It wasn't all of a sudden.  The bench has been there for years.  It's why the whole argument that only Biden could beat Trump was simply wrong.  There are any number of them that can.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

I don't imagine that list to be very long.

Unlike my Johnson. [/Slider]

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

It will be Kelly.

Mark it down.

So here's the thing about astronauts--kinda nobody idolizes astronauts anymore.  At least not like we did in the Mercury and Apollo days.

Except in Florida.  

Astronaut-worship is still a thing in Florida--particularly in that triangle between Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Vero Beach (Dodgertown!).  And I don't know how many votes that gets you.  Maybe none.  But I do think it means that there is a penalty in Florida for going hard after Kelly in a way that there wouldn't be for going hard against, for example, Andy Basheer.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't imagine that list to be very long.

Unlike my Johnson. [/Slider]

So here's the thing about astronauts--kinda nobody idolizes astronauts anymore.  At least not like we did in the Mercury and Apollo days.

Except in Florida.  

Astronaut-worship is still a thing in Florida--particularly in that triangle between Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Vero Beach (Dodgertown!).  And I don't know how many votes that gets you.  Maybe none.  But I do think it means that there is a penalty in Florida for going hard after Kelly in a way that there wouldn't be for going hard against, for example, Andy Basheer.  

Except for a lot of casual voters will remember that they remember him and his brother from years ago.   Same with his wife.  They'll be like "Yeah, I vaguely remember them.  That was a good story."

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

According to familysearch, Kamala actually has early American ancestors…going back to 1630’s Massachusetts.  You see what happened was one of the descendants had a kid with that no good white trash Irish slaver Hamilton Brown and they never left Jamaica. 

It's not really all that rare to have ancestors from the Mayflower...  Something like 35m people. So 1/10 Americans

Back to the fact that as soon as Kamala was named as the likely nominee, the GQP IMMEDIATELY went to the racist and misogynist playbook: "DEI," speaking to a "colored" sorority, she's a ho/blowjobs/slept her way to the top, all of that shit.

That's because 1) the GQP genuinely didn't have a plan developed for the eventuality of Biden withdrawing and Kamala stepping up (a huge failing in strategic thinking, by the way - that failure alone is disqualifying; why on EARTH would you put a bunch of idiots in charge who hadn't even war-gamed the very war they had spent months begging for?), and 2) when it doesn't have a plan/somebody calling strategic thoughts, the "GQP dead-man switch" is activated.  The GQP just executes its default program.  Which is lazy fucking racism and misogyny.  Not even creative racism and misogyny.

And a side note on that....what exactly does that get the GQP?  They've already GOT the racist and misogynist vote locked up.  No new voters are gonna say "wait a minute, Kamala IS a darkie!  I'm gonna vote for Trump!"  All of those people were already voting for Trump.  Every.  Single.  One of them.  They also aren't going to be particularly inspired to turn out at a higher rate.  Racism is one of their foundational motivations and worldviews, it's not like they just discovered it and wanna go out and celebrate the new thing. 

But do you wanna know who IS inspired by racism?  Young voters.  On the other side.  There's a not insubstantial number of 18-30 yr old people who were maybe disgusted by politics in general, weren't motivated to vote for either old white guy who doesn't give a shit about them....but now that one party has come out and is calling half (or more) of their friend group inferior, they're fucking pissed.  This is just a hypothesis, I'm basing it on the young folks I know (largely my kids and their friends), but they get fucking PISSED at assholish racism and sexism.  Like, voices raised, all that shit.  So the GQP plan of "let's just be obvious racist pieces of shit" 1) doesn't get them any new voters, 2) doesn't really fire up their base any more than they already were fired up, and 3) DOES fire up the youth vote on the other side (to say nothing of minorities themselves....if you want the black vote to go 95% to Kamala, and at record turnout percentages, this is how you do it).

So, keep being you, GQP.  Please.  Drink some gatorade, take some vitamins, and re-double your efforts to be giant racist pieces of shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I hope they realize that shit like this makes it much more likely for the Dems to think they need someone like Shapiro on the ticket.

Yep.

And if the end result is that the Muslims in Michigan get Trump elected, then I hope they enjoy being deported to Palestine.  I mean, for the few minutes they'll have to enjoy it before Israel fucking levels the place.

I mean, Jesus--what a bunch of absolute fucking dolts.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Yup he said it.  It was likely a Freudian slip, and you can hear him catch himself mid word and try to slur it a bit, but that it what he said.

I quibbled earler, but fuck these guys and their constant distortions and outright lies.

I clearly heard him say colored. Prove me wrong.

Neither here nor there, but I copied this from above:

image.png.6fa0e2b4b212b80b52c58f3b514e6706.png

Can there be a more insecure notion than that of a man card? 

I often hold my beloved's purse when it's heavy to give her a break. I've even, gasp!, stood by myself with it in a public place. I've been big and more formidable looking than I likely am for most of my life, so it likely prevented any needle-dick saying anything about my man card. I was ready to drawl, "why don't you just sashay over here and collect yourself?"

I imagine Aggies wearing this notion out all the time. Strange for such men of manly manfulness.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, locodos said:

It's not really all that rare to have ancestors from the Mayflower...  Something like 35m people. So 1/10 Americans

From the Mayflower Ship or moved by Mayflower Trucking?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I love Pete but I will be absolutely terrified if he's the pick.

I just don't know how to read it.

It doesn't matter how Gay Pete plays with the MAGA crowd.  They were never gonna vote for him, and I don't see his presence at feeding their already-fired-up hate enough to boost their turnout.  If there are 75 million MAGA voters out there today, there are 75 million tomorrow after Pete is named the VP pick.

What matters is how he plays with 1) the 5-10% of voters who are genuinely "gettable," and 2) what he does to turnout of the enthusiastic Dem voter groups.  For example, there's a thought that a gay VP candidate will not be well-received by black voters (esp black males).  BUT....the top of the ticket is a black woman, and black female support for her is intense as hell, and black men damned well know it.  So....will they disregard their discomfort with the gayz, and go with "I'm all in on Kamala no matter who her VP is?"  I dunno.  And how will Pete play with the 5-10% of gettable voters?  I see his 33% approval in that poll, but what's his disapproval among independents?  I dunno.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I hope they realize that shit like this makes it much more likely for the Dems to think they need someone like Shapiro on the ticket.

Does it? Or does it make them think they don’t because they don’t want there to be riots in Chicago during the convention?

Pete will get his day. This election is too important to test how far we have truly come with how “the middle” perceives gay people. The fact that the republicans still hammer it tells me it’s still a big problem for lots of people.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I quibbled earler, but fuck these guys and their constant distortions and outright lies.

I clearly heard him say colored. Prove me wrong.

Neither here nor there, but I copied this from above:

image.png.6fa0e2b4b212b80b52c58f3b514e6706.png

Can there be a more insecure notion than that of a man card? 

I often hold my beloved's purse when it's heavy to give her a break. I've even, gasp!, stood by myself with it in a public place. I've been big and more formidable looking than I likely am for most of my life, so it likely prevented any needle-dick saying anything about my man card. I was ready to drawl, "why don't you just sashay over here and collect yourself?"

I imagine Aggies wearing this notion out all the time. Strange for such men of manly manfulness.

Also, the # thing that my "man card" does NOT depend on is the opinion of a born-again-virgin on Twitter with the pathetic handle of "Eagleman."  Seriously, if I were to rank every single thing in the world that has any bearing on my manliness, the opinion of choads like him would be at the bottom of the list.

Scratch that, they'd actually be higher up on the list, because the disapproval of incel losers tells me I'm on the right track: I'm a man of independent thought and confidence who doesn't give a fuck what losers who masturbate to an orange blob think.  That goes in the "yeah, I'm a man" column.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Harriet Tubman, American badass, will be on it in 2030. 

Her likeness should be on the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I was very late learning her story. No one has ever been braver or brave for a better cause.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does it? Or does it make them think they don’t because they don’t want there to be riots in Chicago during the convention?

There will be riots in Chicago regardless.  But these are going to be the images they try and pin to Kamala, and they do NOT play well with the America that lives mostly offline.

12 minutes ago, locodos said:

35m seems kinda low actually.  Richard Warren alone accounts for something like 10 million descendants. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

35m seems kinda low actually.  Richard Warren alone accounts for something like 10 million descendants. 

Thats why the call a rabbit habitat a warren. 

And now you know…the rest of the story. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yup,  He had like 15 kids and they all survived into adulthood.  He's in my family tree.  Which, as it turns out, isn't a big deal.

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Her likeness should be on the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I was very late learning her story. No one has ever been braver or brave for a better cause.

Agreed. Admittedly, "American bad ass" doesn't begin to cover her or her exploits. The MOH comes closer. 

15 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There will be riots in Chicago regardless.  But these are going to be the images they try and pin to Kamala, and they do NOT play well with the America that lives mostly offline.

Does someone want to explain to me how burning a US flag here in America helps these protesters with their cause?  I mean protest all you want but doing that just pisses off way too many Americans who I believe they want on their side.  Not equating the Palestinian struggles with Civil Rights but I think if MLK decided let's burn American Flags at our protests it may have alienated many people that were supporting Civil Rights.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Does someone want to explain to me how burning a US flag here in America helps these protesters with their cause?  I mean protest all you want but doing that just pisses off way too many Americans who I believe they want on their side.  Not equating the Palestinian struggles with Civil Rights but I think if MLK decided let's burn American Flags at our protests it may have alienated many people that were supporting Civil Rights.  

There's also been a shit ton of graffiti on public statues.  Like that's not helping your cause.

I'm guessing, like BLM, there's some bad actors in the crowd