2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

e1481ffb-bbca-4489-9113-6c72193ddb40_tex

Doesn't mean that it isn't a perfect allegory for where we late 70s-early 80s kids fit.  Just sit there with your fellow Gen X forgottens and know you at least got to give us great music in the early 90s.  Let us have SOMETHING.

We get to pick and choose our generational affiliations - mostly Gen X with a little bit of the best of what the Millennials offer, just for flavor. 

We're the McDLT Generation. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I want to know what high ranking dem is telling people they only have a 40% chance of winning.  Maybe Manchin would say that.

I hear from someone in a position to know that Manchin is extremely unhappy with Kamala’s swift consolidation of delegates and ascent to the nomination. He genuinely believes she can’t win, doesn’t like her politics, and we can speculate that he actually thought he had a chance to win the nomination or at least play kingmaker. 

There’s also a rumor circulating that Obama is furious about Kamala locking it up so quickly because he wanted Kelly. 

TLDR: DEMS IN DISARRAY 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Nah, too much smiling, laughing, and being positive. /s

You jest, but for a certain section of voters, I actually think this is true.  She will have other ads more directly attacking him and the Rs I'm sure.  There has to be a lot of negativity against them because they are just so horrible.  People have to understand this.  Hope and change (what up Obama) will only get us so far this time.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

I hear from someone in a position to know that Manchin is extremely unhappy with Kamala’s swift consolidation of delegates and ascent to the nomination. He genuinely believes she can’t win, doesn’t like her politics, and we can speculate that he actually thought he had a chance to win the nomination.

Even he can't really be that stupid, can he?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

You jest, but for a certain section of voters, I actually think this is true.  She will have other ads more directly attacking him and the Rs I'm sure.  There has to be a lot of negativity against them because they are just so horrible.  People have to understand this.  Hope and change (what up Obama) will only get us so far this time.

True but you also need to keep yourself better than them. People need to see there's an alternative that aren't a bunch of unhappy shitbags pining for a time where black people, women, and other minorities were 2nd class citizens. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There’s also a rumor circulating that Obama is furious about Kamala locking it up so quickly because he wanted Kelly. 

If it's true that Obama is pissed, I hope he considers the significant number of minority voters who would have been furious if the sitting VP, a multiracial woman, was passed up by another old white dude.

I know I'm preaching to a large choir, but Kelly for President just wouldn't have moved the needle for a block of voters who were previously apathetic when Biden was the nominee.  

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 9

We get to pick and choose our generational affiliations - mostly Gen X with a little bit of the best of what the Millennials offer, just for flavor. 
We're the McDLT Generation. 

I was born in ‘78. To young for the insane 80’s stuff. To young to see the GNR, Metallica show in the dome. We were raised by MTV and Nickelodeon. You Can’t Do That on TV and actual music videos that caused pearl clutching. We went from the end of disco to the beginning of the end of MTV - 1992’s Real World. We can program a VCR and make a .pdf.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

True but you also need to keep yourself better than them. People need to see there's an alternative that aren't a bunch of unhappy shitbags pining for a time where black people, women, and other minorities were 2nd class citizens. 

Her first order of business is to define herself.  Starting out with negative ads is not a good idea - she needs to quickly start making sure voters know who she is and what she stands for first.  

GDP 2Q - 2.8% - above expectations, consumer spending above expectations, jobless claims down (again) - more economic good news for Harris (and Joe)

Emerson / Memerson (with corresponding Senate race)

Arizona Trump +5 (Gallego +4)
Georgia Trump +2
Michigan Trump +1 (Slotkin +5)
Pennsylvania Trump +2 (Casey +4)
Wisconsin Tie (Baldwin +6) 

Harris improved on Joe's numbers by +3 on average against their last polls.  And Trump is still stuck in the 46-48 range.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I hear from someone in a position to know that Manchin is extremely unhappy with Kamala’s swift consolidation of delegates and ascent to the nomination. He genuinely believes she can’t win, doesn’t like her politics, and we can speculate that he actually thought he had a chance to win the nomination or at least play kingmaker. 

Manchin being extremely stupid checks out. I’m sure that rumor is true.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Her first order of business is to define herself.  Starting out with negative ads is not a good idea - she needs to quickly start making sure voters know who she is and what she stands for first.  

Agree.  The Israel/Palestine issue is going to be a thorny little bitch for her, though.  She's going to get hit with it as soon as she starts doing interviews.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If it's true that Obama is pissed, I hope he considers the significant number of minority voters who would have been furious if the sitting VP, a multiracial woman, was passed up by another old white dude.

I know I'm preaching to a large choir, but Kelly for President just wouldn't have moved the needle for block of voters who were previously apathetic when Biden was the nominee.  

But how would voters know or even consider Kelly since Barack "declined to endorse/stayed neutral" Obama didn't say anything?! 

Also yeah, Mark Kelly is cool, would make an awesome VP, but he was not going to move the needle, and in fact, would have been worse than Joe - he's not strong on labor (didn't say yes on the PRO Act until yesterday), he's iffy on the protestors (clapping enthusiastically at Bibi calling them Iran-funded)....

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree.  The Israel/Palestine issue is going to be a thorny little bitch for her, though.  She's going to get hit with it as soon as she starts doing interviews.

“We’ve called for and are working towards a cease fire.” Next question.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

GDP 2Q - 2.8% - above expectations, consumer spending above expectations, jobless claims down (again) - more economic good news for Harris (and Joe)

Emerson / Memerson (with corresponding Senate race)

Arizona Trump +5 (Gallego +4)
Georgia Trump +2
Michigan Trump +1 (Slotkin +5)
Pennsylvania Trump +2 (Casey +4)
Wisconsin Tie (Baldwin +6) 

Harris improved on Joe's numbers by +3 on average against their last polls.  And Trump is still stuck in the 46-48 range.  

I still have a hard time reconciling this. Have we ever seen split polling like this before? Maybe we have and I just don't remember, but no way that many people are going to split ticket, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

"Do you favor a two-state solution?"

"We've said before that a two-state solution is the best way towards a peaceful co-existence for both groups". 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

I still have a hard time reconciling this. Have we ever seen split polling like this before? Maybe we have and I just don't remember, but no way that many people are going to split ticket, right?

Not at this level, no.  This is something you see with Senators with big personal brands (Tester, Manchin, Brown, Collins) but not in every single swing state in a presidential election. 

To me, it means Harris has room to grow.  We know Joe was lagging Senate candidates pretty badly, and we know why.  It was hard to see him recover.  There's still a lot of new-ness to Harris being the nominee and it's been 4 days? 

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Happy warrior

As a veteran of many wars (Call of Duty, Battlefield and as a special operator in the Rainbow Six series), there is not such thing as a happy warrior.  

War is hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Agreed.

I want to see Pete get a shot at Secretary of State.  Smartest guy in the room, speaks 7 languages including Arabic, military service, etc.  He'd crush that role.

I think this is the best role for his future after an 8 year Harris administration.  Being VP would waste his talents.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, DixonHur said:

As a veteran of many wars (Call of Duty, Battlefield and as a special operator in the Rainbow Six series), there is not such thing as a happy warrior.  

War is hell.

The phrase came to mind watching all the smiling faces while she said, "When we fight, we win." I'm sure you realize that she's trying to draw a contrast between Trump's embittered and angry supporters with the normies.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not at this level, no.  This is something you see with Senators with big personal brands (Tester, Manchin, Brown, Collins) but not in every single swing state in a presidential election. 

To me, it means Harris has room to grow.  We know Joe was lagging Senate candidates pretty badly, and we know why.  It was hard to see him recover.  There's still a lot of new-ness to Harris being the nominee and it's been 4 days? 

If the AZ splits come to fruition, I have no clue what will happen with the rest of the country.  I would believe Texas going blue before I believe there are a ton of Gallego/Trump voters.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also if you really want to parse out those Emerson polls at the top, when discussing Harris' room to grow (in these polls): 

• Better net favorability rating than Trump in all 3 Blue Wall states and a double digit better rating than Biden
  • Every state polled had her improving her numbers with young voters compared to Biden
  • All states polled show 10-15% of Dems who want a diff candidate and 5-10% who are unsure.  She has room to grow here as she consolidates more of the Dem base/Dem-leaning voters
  • Harris holds a lead with women in all 5 states, and double digit lead with them in the Blue Wall states.  Trump leads with men (no surprise)
  • Top 2 issues are economy and immigration. 
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The phrase came to mind watching all the smiling faces while she said, "When we fight, we win." I'm sure you realize that she's trying to draw a contrast between Trump's embittered and angry supporters with the normies.

I know.  I threw out a stinker of a joke that didn't land.

I was making fun of the GOP gravy seals, who talk a big game online but would shit themselves in actual combat.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If the AZ splits come to fruition, I have no clue what will happen with the rest of the country.  I would believe Texas going blue before I believe there are a ton of Gallego/Trump voters.

A big thing for her, which she already did in Wisconsin, is campaign with the Senate candidates and get tied to them. They didn’t want to be seen with Joe after the debates.

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

War is hell.

I fought the Japanese, Germans, and (shamefully) Indians across the lawns of Dallas and Houston. I died many times. My arm was shot many times. We didn't do it for medals or praise or some lame, "thank you for your service." We were soldiers and men (even the girls). We did what we had to do.

I sometimes wake up at night shouting, "Duck, Imaginary Man! Duck!"

• Haha 8

36 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Manchin: “turn those machines back on.”

if a potential candidate wasn’t preparing, they weren’t a viable candidate. It’s like a former boss taught me that if you wait to declare interest, for a newly open promotion, you’re already late. It’s not like Biden’s action was out of the blue. I don’t care what he said the day before.

if manchin wanted to be kingmaker he should have had the balls to pressure Biden to drop out like Pelosi. Kamala would have owed him if he had helped to produce her ascent to candidate. Manchin was always just a legislator and contrarian “leader.” He never seemed to have the courage to risk his safe position. History will forget him.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I fought the Japanese, Germans, and (shamefully) Indians across the lawns of Dallas and Houston. I died many times. My arm was shot many times. We didn't do it for medals or praise or some lame, "thank you for your service." We were soldiers and men (even the girls). We did what we had to do.

What are we made of? Our fathers came across the prairies, fought Indians, fought drought, fought locusts, fought Dicks . . . remember when Richard Dicks came in here and tried to take over this town? Well, we didn't give up then, and by gum, we're not going to give up now!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I sometimes wake up at night shouting, "Duck, Imaginary Man! Duck!"

I was a highwayman, along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his life blood on my blade
The bastards hung me in the spring of '25
But I am still alive

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would too, but it’s not required to play out that way. Basically some Trump voters would only vote for Trump, and some Gallego voters would have to vote for RFKJ, Stein, Cornell West etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

I would too, but it’s not required to play out that way. Basically some Trump voters would only vote for Trump, and some Gallego voters would have to vote for RFKJ, Stein, Cornell West etc.

I have a little bit of a fear that it’s hard to move people this late in the race. Once you’ve opened your mind to voting for somebody, you start considering their good points and maybe playing defense for their positions. Changing this late feels to some like an admission that they were wrong. No one wants to do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

My MAGA family talking points so far:

1. Nancy Pelosi and/or George Soros pulled off a coup! Nobody voted for Kamala. The evil Dems don't care about democracy. Also Kamala was involved in a cover up about Bidens health. When did she know?!?

2. Kamala invited all the illegal immigrants to come on over because they vote Dem. The MS-13 members are committing violent acts and also taking all the great jobs. 

3. She will turn America into a San Francisco hellscape. They are aborting babies, heroin needles everywhere and becoming trans or homeless.

4. She was only picked because she's black. Wait is she really even black? I heard she was Indian and Jamaican.

5. Did you hear about Kamala's sexual past?

Most frustrating part is their research or gotchas are Facebook posts or some random YouTube nut with 1000 views.

Have you considered a new family?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The Obama rumor is just silliness

Yep. As soon as Kamala accepts the nomination, she’ll have Obama’s full-throated endorsement. He’s just waiting until it’s official. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Eisenhower had the temerity to use a man servant to help him get dressed each day, including underwear.  Can you imagine what the GOP would think of that....today?

Perhaps there is something we don’t know about putting on Nazi killin’ undies that makes it a two man job…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1