2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

"According to Tim Alberta, speaking about his reporting on Ezra Klein's podcast, Trump told his campaign that he himself will be the GOTV effort for the campaign, so there's no need for organized efforts. This removes a big traditional boost to downballot Republicans who now have to do it themselves."

Good.  GOOD.  More of this.  Fuck the party.  The whole party, from top to bottom.  You created the beast, you pumped him full of steroids.  Now....let him consume you, as he was always going to do.

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'm sure GOTV is expensive, so he'd rather just siphon off the money for himself.

Fuck yes, it's just that simple.  There's zero complex thought here.  Just lizard brained "gobble up everything I can as fast as I can."

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

DEPORT EM ALL...even though a lot of them have been here and been upstanding citizens who keep their heads down and put money into the local economy. 

Give me the top half of all of the undocumented immigrants in the US....and put them up against the top half of the MAGAsphere....and we could improve the FUCK out of this country by immediately deporting one of those groups, and it sure as shit won't be the immigrants.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, bolverk said:

Word count: 86

Word count: 134

Yeah, but those were lawyer words, so they're better.  Just ask around here.  The 79% of us who are lawyers will agree with me, I'm sure of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

What the fuck are these people doing? Are they trying to see how much they can horrify half the country and still make an election close?

I swear, we'd be in real trouble if any of these monsters were capable of dialing it back by about 20%.

Trump is dialing it back by distancing himself from Project 2025 even though he's clearly behind it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My god, I love this dude. 

It's hilarious watching everyone dunk of JDV.  Beshear was AGAIN on TV today saying that Vance has no convictions, but his running mate has 34 of them

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My god, I love this dude. 

His age will probably disqualify him, but I love this guy. He has that bulldog in him. Get him out front with Pete and Ted. 

• Hook 'Em 8

A rosy NYTimes article about the economy thanks to admin policy, declining inflation and interest rates, and how whoever is elected will reap the political winds:

2025 Could Be a Great Time to Be President, Economically Speaking
Trends already underway make for a sunny outlook over the next few years. The question is who will get to take credit.

https://archive.is/i9kJg

(Dropped my subscription but this Archive link worked for me)

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Constant said:

I think the morons on the couch picked up on it and were trying to get him off the phone as quickly as possible. 

They needed to get off the couch ASAP. JD was pacing off to the side of the set.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Stephanie Ruhle makes me feel funny -- like when I climb the rope in gym class.

A burning sensation in your dick is never good, so you might wanna get that checked out by a doctor.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

Anecdotal perhaps, but I have a disproportionate number of interactions with illegal immigrants, and I’d say 9 out of 10 of them get here and work their asses off for everything they have. They are loyal to their families, they put in honest hard work in occupations you couldn’t force some people to do, and they get nothing in return except to be villainized by half the country. More often than not, they are the victims of crime, not the perpetrators. That may not be represented in statistics because they typically don’t call for help out of fear for their citizenship status. They are constantly mistreated and victimized, and all they do in return is get up and go to work.

Man outside who works for me, his name is Mariano.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Well he looks old, and she doesn’t. I guess i’m talking about the perception.

I get it, but after you hear him talk for 10 seconds, the age issue goes out the window. He's energetic, sharp, and thinks quickly. 

Also the dude coached HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL for 20+ years. If there's anyone that can get through to the pudding-brained Al Bundy Republican meatheads, it's this dude. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

Anecdotal perhaps, but I have a disproportionate number of interactions with illegal immigrants, and I’d say 9 out of 10 of them get here and work their asses off for everything they have. They are loyal to their families, they put in honest hard work in occupations you couldn’t force some people to do, and they get nothing in return except to be villainized by half the country. More often than not, they are the victims of crime, not the perpetrators. That may not be represented in statistics because they typically don’t call for help out of fear for their citizenship status. They are constantly mistreated and victimized, and all they do in return is get up and go to work.

If Trump/MAGA/GOP were smart, these are the very folks they would adopt, welcome with open arms and enact policies to help.  They are the very embodiment of what it "means" to be on the right these days---hard work, families, loyalty, pull up by bootstraps, whatever label you want to apply.  But brown skin and the border wins out, so there you go.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Also we don't really have that big of a migrant issue at the moment. It's kind of like this boogie man that doesn't have any data supporting it. 

John Oliver did basically his whole show on Sunday about this.  

Wanna hear something funny?  Texas is the only state that tracks crime by immigration status.  Native born citizens commit 45% more crime, on average, than immigrants do.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I still have a hard time reconciling this. Have we ever seen split polling like this before? Maybe we have and I just don't remember, but no way that many people are going to split ticket, right?

No, they're not.

You'll see ticket-splitting between a federal and a state election.  Someone might vote for the Republican candidate for president and then the Democratic candidate for governor.  But for two federal offices?  That has never been that common, and it has become downright rare.  The idea that 10% of voters in Arizona are going to split their ticket is downright absurd--I don't care how good or bad the Senate candidates are.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that these are polls of registered voters.  There's no likely-voter screen on these polls.  And so you have a bunch of people saying "Trump" on the presidential election but "I don't know" on the Senate election because they're (1) disengaged and (2) uninterested in the Senate race because they know goddamned well they're not going to vote.

That's just a hypothesis.  But regardless of the reason for it, I don't for a minute believe that the Democrats are going to sweep these Senate seats and then turn around and get swept in the presidential election in those states.  It's just impossible.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

To me, this is a "vibes" election. Voter psychology is more important than ever. And I think Tim Walz has found a rhetoric that will be EXTREMELY effective. 

If he's not VP, he needs to continue TV hits and others need to adopt is language/POV. Goddamn, it's refreshing. 

ALL elections are "vibes" elections.  Always have been.  Varying degrees of vibes in certain elections -- this one sure is gonna be on the high end, it seems.

But create the vibe you want, amp it up, and ride it.  That's key.  As my daughter, a member of two key demos (young, female) said after Kamala was endorsed, "Honestly the sudden burst of energy gives me hope.  Feels like the whole vibe has changed."

That.  We need lots of that feeling, and we need to keep it going.  Give people a standard-bearer for how they feel, and they'll follow her to the gates of Hell.

• Hook 'Em 3

Wanna hear something funny?  Texas is the only state that tracks crime by immigration status.  Native born citizens commit 45% more crime, on average, than immigrants do.

“Immigrant crime wave! Hundreds of thousands dead!”
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Today’s Morning Consult poll:

Harris 46, Trump 45

The previous one was Trump +4 over Biden 

Both Whitmer and Shapiro will campaign with Harris on Monday in PA 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Harris 46, Trump 45

That seems kind of bad for the Cheetoh, is that bad? Is Donald Trump ok? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I personally liked the caravan to stop the migrants and then then arriving and realizing there wasn't an issue and it wasn't a big deal. Facing reality in interviews and openly admitting that they were confused because they thought people were just running free into our country like the copa stadium getting overrun. Hahahahahaha 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Constant said:

Every bit of this. I live in a majority immigrant part of Austin. The food is incredible and everyone is extremely polite. Plus I get to practice Espanol every day.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Sounds like he's planting the seeds of doubt early this year so he can claim election fraud.

That’s the most frustrating thing about a candidate that doesn’t believe in elections.

We are headed for another easily preventable catastrophe regardless of the election outcome.  Hate to be Debbie downer because the vibes are great right and we need them but the right wing coup is ongoing until Trump is in custody or better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I’m not certain how accurate any state tracking numbers would be. 

When I complete a UUMV report for Jose from Honduras, my identifying factors I would have to select on the report would be, “Race- White. Ethnicity- Hispanic”. Same for Jose born in Dallas.

The citizenship box is not necessary for a report validation. I usually leave it empty. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Every bit of this. I live in a majority immigrant part of Austin. The food is incredible and everyone is extremely polite. Plus I get to practice Espanol every day.

I know real estate agents are crazy these days, but it's still a stretch to call San Antonio "a majority immigrant part of Austin."

• Haha 6
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

I personally liked the caravan to stop the migrants and then then arriving and realizing there wasn't an issue and it wasn't a big deal. Facing reality in interviews and openly admitting that they were confused because they thought people were just running free into our country like the copa stadium getting overrun. Hahahahahaha 

Yes, but they story didn’t exactly take off. 

1 minute ago, Constant said:

I’m not certain how accurate any state tracking numbers would be. 

When I complete a UUMV report for Jose from Honduras, my identifying factors I would have to select on the report would be, “Race- White. Ethnicity- Hispanic”. Same for Jose born in Dallas.

The citizenship box is not necessary for a report validation. I usually leave it empty. 

Sounds like the 45% comes from the state's own statistics.  Whether they are accurate I couldn't tell you.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Sounds like the 45% comes from the state's own statistics.  Whether they are accurate I couldn't tell you.

Yeah, I don’t know where they would derive that number from. My gut would say it should even be larger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Harris 46, Trump 45

Vibe check

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I get it, but after you hear him talk for 10 seconds, the age issue goes out the window. He's energetic, sharp, and thinks quickly. 

Also the dude coached HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL for 20+ years. If there's anyone that can get through to the pudding-brained Al Bundy Republican meatheads, it's this dude. 

Walz was a Butte Wildcat, and if there's anything you can rely on is dudes from there love to go out and hit something. 

• Hook 'Em 1