2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

I personally liked the caravan to stop the migrants and then then arriving and realizing there wasn't an issue and it wasn't a big deal. Facing reality in interviews and openly admitting that they were confused because they thought people were just running free into our country like the copa stadium getting overrun. Hahahahahaha 

We need a huge push on dotard’s social network saying the biggest, baddest caravan of all time is arriving at the border on November 5. Every true patriot, MAGA needs to clear their schedule and be at the border that day to defend our beautiful country. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That’s the most frustrating thing about a candidate that doesn’t believe in elections.

We are headed for another easily preventable catastrophe regardless of the election outcome.  Hate to be Debbie downer because the vibes are great right and we need them but the right wing coup is ongoing until Trump is in custody or better. 

Screen-Shot-2016-06-01-at-2.30.31-PM.png

Let those asses fuck around

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2021-01-06-at-7.22.49-PM.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

You're right, I don't know what you do outside Surly, but I've seen your photo, which tells me you're probably not giving many board presentations.

Ummm ok, but we're gonna need a time machine.

Y’all gotta stop fighting. Make Up Love GIF by Bounce

• Haha 6

43 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If Trump/MAGA/GOP were smart, these are the very folks they would adopt, welcome with open arms and enact policies to help.  They are the very embodiment of what it "means" to be on the right these days---hard work, families, loyalty, pull up by bootstraps, whatever label you want to apply.  But brown skin and the border wins out, so there you go.

That's exactly what Turd Blossom and the research they funded in 2012 told them. 

Stop hating on brown people and welcome them. They are hard-working, family oriented, and churchy. They ought to be in the fold and not cast as enemies.

But, no. They ran him off and trashed the study. Embraced hate and fear instead.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I hear from someone in a position to know that Manchin is extremely unhappy with Kamala’s swift consolidation of delegates and ascent to the nomination. He genuinely believes she can’t win, doesn’t like her politics, and we can speculate that he actually thought he had a chance to win the nomination or at least play kingmaker. 

There’s also a rumor circulating that Obama is furious about Kamala locking it up so quickly because he wanted Kelly. 

TLDR: DEMS IN DISARRAY 

Meh

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

If the AZ splits come to fruition, I have no clue what will happen with the rest of the country.  I would believe Texas going blue before I believe there are a ton of Gallego/Trump voters.

No way that happens.  Lake is exactly like Trump.  Every Trumpkin will vote for her

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Manchin: “turn those machines back on.”

if a potential candidate wasn’t preparing, they weren’t a viable candidate. It’s like a former boss taught me that if you wait to declare interest, for a newly open promotion, you’re already late. It’s not like Biden’s action was out of the blue. I don’t care what he said the day before.

if manchin wanted to be kingmaker he should have had the balls to pressure Biden to drop out like Pelosi. Kamala would have owed him if he had helped to produce her ascent to candidate. Manchin was always just a legislator and contrarian “leader.” He never seemed to have the courage to risk his safe position. History will forget him.

Manchin was on Tapper on Sunday, and said clearly it's time for a younger generation of leaders to come forward.  He mentioned Shapiro

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Also we don't really have that big of a migrant issue at the moment. It's kind of like this boogie man that doesn't have any data supporting it. 

The main gripe is the burden they place on the social welfare system without paying in, but I'm not sure the data is there to really support that theory from what I've looked at. 

The economy is a strange thing globally right now, everyone printed a different amount of money during COVID so the supply chains have normalized and the new reality of less complete reliance on China exclusively for manufacturing is working it's self through the system adjusting prices and the new taxes etc. The next phase is figuring out what to jubilee globally and how you reconcile the different central bank strategies to provide liquidity during the global pandemic crisis. 

That's not to say growth numbers aren't good right now in the US, it's just to say it's hard to really understand what that means in terms of real growth vs the natural rate vs a spread of liquidity or currency exchange. 

"Maybe" Jose the landscaper works for cash and doesn't pay income taxes.  But he still pays sales taxes, gas taxes, vehicle registration fees, property taxes (via rent), etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

John Oliver did basically his whole show on Sunday about this.  

Wanna hear something funny?  Texas is the only state that tracks crime by immigration status.  Native born citizens commit 45% more crime, on average, than immigrants do.

A random article where one undocumented immigrant did something horrific is like crack cocaine to MAGA world. Overall statistics just go over their head.

Might be some more recent charts but I have heard encounters at the border are up? Even though overall undocumented immigrants are nothing out of the ordinary.

Screenshot_20240725_125622_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9c76089fc29bf8a34c7dd1c6f1d9372b.jpgScreenshot_20240725_125748_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8ebd90e91df5ca9afc162bc353e2a167.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, The Dog said:

I dunno what their deal is with Taylor Swift but making enemies of Swifties isn't going to end well for them:

I dunno what that means, but they are making bracelets:

image.png.b212acd8584dfd89f82ef290053338e2.png

image.thumb.png.46daf56bad0fee63ea2d60a64ea68574.png

Can't speak to what female teenagers are specifically thinking (can anyone?) but my teenage son keeps talking about everyone being excited about Kamala.  Granted, they're not able to vote but there's a lot of enthusiasm among the younger generations.  That will pay off.  None of that was happening with Biden and I'm positive it wasn't with Trump (maybe in backwoods Mississippi, though)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Good. Bring out the whole fucking Friends crew. That's a generation of women that are now firmly entrenched in the suburbs and absolutely watch that shit whenever re-runs are on, or stream it the way lots of folks will just perpetually stream The Office or Seinfeld. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Can't speak to what female teenagers are specifically thinking (can anyone?) but my teenage son keeps talking about everyone being excited about Kamala.  Granted, they're not able to vote but there's a lot of enthusiasm among the younger generations.  That will pay off.  None of that was happening with Biden and I'm positive it wasn't with Trump (maybe in backwoods Mississippi, though)

If the power of Swifties is truly released, this is over.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

No, they're not.

You'll see ticket-splitting between a federal and a state election.  Someone might vote for the Republican candidate for president and then the Democratic candidate for governor.  But for two federal offices?  That has never been that common, and it has become downright rare.  The idea that 10% of voters in Arizona are going to split their ticket is downright absurd--I don't care how good or bad the Senate candidates are.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that these are polls of registered voters.  There's no likely-voter screen on these polls.  And so you have a bunch of people saying "Trump" on the presidential election but "I don't know" on the Senate election because they're (1) disengaged and (2) uninterested in the Senate race because they know goddamned well they're not going to vote.

That's just a hypothesis.  But regardless of the reason for it, I don't for a minute believe that the Democrats are going to sweep these Senate seats and then turn around and get swept in the presidential election in those states.  It's just impossible.

The one thing I was hoping for with Biden (prior to the debate) was that there were enough progressive who were pissed at him (Israel, border policy, etc.) that they were going to withhold their support to a pollster, but still show up on Election Day to avoid four years of Trump.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

The upcoming articles written about how Biden actually got a lot accomplished are going to blow your minds. 

But, but, but "worst president ever!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

Pete has the name recognition nationally.  Poll didn't ask that, but I'd guess he's more of a known name as someone who ran for POTUS in 2020 and won in Iowa.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

That's exactly what Turd Blossom and the research they funded in 2012 told them. 

Stop hating on brown people and welcome them. They are hard-working, family oriented, and churchy. They ought to be in the fold and not cast as enemies.

But, no. They ran him off and trashed the study. Embraced hate and fear instead.

Not only do undocumented immigrants commit less crimes than Americans on average, undocumented immigrants are supposed to reduce our federal deficit by like 800 billion over the next 10 years. Not even a drain on our economy like many claim.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Pete has the name recognition nationally.  Poll didn't ask that, but I'd guess he's more of a known name as someone who ran for POTUS in 2020 and won in Iowa.

While Kelly wouldn't be my first choice for VP... I'd rather not lose him as a Senator... imagine all the cool things they could do with a VP who has an identical twin.

• Haha 4

Just now, DixonHur said:

While Kelly wouldn't be my first choice for VP... I'd rather not lose him as a Senator... imagine all the cool things they could do with a VP who has an identical twin.

I still maintain you just have Scott move to Phoenix and then name him interim. He already has the name recognition - Senator Kelly the Astronaut! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Js1 said:

I still maintain you just have Scott move to Phoenix and then name him interim. He already has the name recognition - Senator Kelly the Astronaut! 

It's like that Eddie Murphy movie.  

The name you know.  Jeff Johnson.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/24/politics/democrats-rules-kamala-harris-nomination

CNN — 

Democrats on Wednesday adopted the rules the party will use to choose their presidential nominee, with voting to officially nominate Kamala Harris likely to begin August 1.

Under the rules approved by the Democratic National Convention’s rules panel, presidential hopefuls have until Saturday evening to formally declare their candidacies and until Tuesday, July 30, to submit signatures from at least 300 delegates, with not more than 50 from a single state counting toward the threshold.

Voting will be conducted by electronic ballots sent to convention delegates. If only one candidate meets the petition requirements, which is likely considering how quickly the party has coalesced around Harris, voting is expected to begin on August 1, although it will be up to party leaders to set the times for voting to begin and end. If more than one candidate were to meet the requirements, party leaders can set a period of no more than five days for candidates to make their case to delegates. Delegates will have 36 hours’ notice before voting begins.

The party has said its goal is to nominate its presidential and vice presidential candidates by August 7 to avoid the possibility of litigation over ballot access in Ohio. While the state has pushed its deadline for political parties to submit their official nominees to September 1, the new law won’t take effect until the end of August.

Harris currently has 3,284 delegates pledged to her with only 39 uncommitted. Alabama and Washington are the only states whose delegates haven't met yet.  So there's not even 300 up for grabs unless they defect from Harris.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.ad023b5b2cc412f31554acc70edaec01.png

image.thumb.png.9bcbed3f5f2ac70668b6084d5e14b5bc.png

Well, unless you think that she hired a bunch of new prosecutors who were much better courtroom advocates--a possibility, I concede--the only way to accomplish that is by dismissing a bunch of cases that didn't have the evidence to support a conviction.  And isn't that something everyone should approve of?

I mean, I don't do crimes . . . just go with me on this one for a minute . . . so wouldn't I want a DA who I knew wouldn't proceed with a prosecution that doesn't have the evidence to support a conviction?  And wouldn't that be doubly true if I were a member of a minority group that is disproportionately targeted by law enforcement?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.b68d01c7b91ceb537c0f8fa2202be255.png

My wife's area is almost all white collar professional women ages from mid 20's to mid 50's.  Most lean a little to the right but are somewhat moderate.  Some of them liked the Vance pick at first and now they all actively hate him.  Like fucking hate him.  

So, there's that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

My wife's area is almost all white collar professional women ages from mid 20's to mid 50's.  Most lean a little to the right but are somewhat moderate.  Some of them liked the Vance pick at first and now they all actively hate him.  Like fucking hate him.  

So, there's that.

Palin'd

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good. Bring out the whole fucking Friends crew. That's a generation of women that are now firmly entrenched in the suburbs and absolutely watch that shit whenever re-runs are on, or stream it the way lots of folks will just perpetually stream The Office or Seinfeld. 

Ummmm, yeah, one little problem about that. 

• Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

and they mow our lawns, build our houses, repair our houses, repair our cars, grow and harvest our food, help cook and serve our food at restaurants. and some actually do pay into the SS system but won't be able to get benefits. if there ever was a justification for a humane, well thought out worker program for non-citizens, non-residents, this is it.

But.....and this is really important....they're all murderers and rapists.

And being a rapist is bad.  It is VERY, VERY, VERY BAD.  

Unless, of course, you're running for POTUS as a Republican.  In that case, being a rapist is

cool-b99.gif

Did you not get the memo?  Coulda sworn you were on the routing sheet.  We delivered it by....CARAVAN!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

We’re back

Do you think they show Trump these polls or they just keep recycling the ones showing him up 5-6 on Biden? 

"Well sir, the election is next week and you're still up 6 points on Biden"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Fuck that pesky constitution amirite. It’s literally the 1st fucking amendment. It comes before your precious guns you dumb fucks.

But using the American flag to beat the fuck out of a cop trying to protect the Capitol and the congressmen inside performing their constitutional duty?

230724-capitol-riot-stager-mn-1540-8c681

Well, that's American patriotism, and that guy is a "political prisoner" who should be pardoned!

Fuck that fucking fuck right in his saggy old man ass.  With that flag.  After it's been dipped in habanero sauce.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.ad023b5b2cc412f31554acc70edaec01.png

lulz at every possible implication of this.  it gotta watch this section (n.b.: i absolutely will not) to see if it really says this.  black people very much love lower conviction rates because they like innocent people being tried.  or maybe it is black people want more criminals to get off.  or maybe it is black people like prosecutors that overcharge.  it's something like this.

• Hook 'Em 1