2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My god, I love this dude. 

reminds me of the Netflix documentary, which i thoroughly enjoyed watching during the COVID shutdown:

Film_DFWC_P_002.jpg

cat people don't play.  insulting them and insulting Swifties isn't such a great idea (i'm sure the Venn diagram shows significant overlap).

the thing i like about Walz (besides his bulldog nature) is that i don't see him as necessarily aspiring to be POTUS one day.  maybe in the back of his mind he might, but i think he'd be just fine serving as Kamala's attack dog.  he knows his role and would relish it.  that might be appealing to Kamala because she wouldn't be seen as anointing her successor (assuming she wins and serves her 8 years).

after 8 years, let Pete, Gretchen, Kelly, Shapiro, etc. duke it out on even terms.  Walz just doesn't strike me as a potential POTUS.  but he could be a helluva VP.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I have to imagine that there is a segment of the gay population that will be even further energized by Pete, as well. Some people won't vote for their own rights, but if there's a bandwagon for their team going to the polls they will join the crew and vote. 

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Ummmm, yeah, one little problem about that. 

Dig him up, I don't give a fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I get it, but after you hear him talk for 10 seconds, the age issue goes out the window. He's energetic, sharp, and thinks quickly. 

Also the dude coached HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL for 20+ years. If there's anyone that can get through to the pudding-brained Al Bundy Republican meatheads, it's this dude. 

With that on his resume, we need to watch out.  Trump may steal him and make him Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have to imagine that there is a segment of the gay population that will be even further energized by Pete, as well. Some people won't vote for their own rights, but if there's a bandwagon for their team going to the polls they will join the crew and vote. 

Dig him up, I don't give a fuck. 

I would have gone with cross him off then, but I'll allow it.

51 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Can't speak to what female teenagers are specifically thinking (can anyone?) but my teenage son keeps talking about everyone being excited about Kamala.  Granted, they're not able to vote but there's a lot of enthusiasm among the younger generations.  That will pay off.  None of that was happening with Biden and I'm positive it wasn't with Trump (maybe in backwoods Mississippi, though)

To go along with this.  My 13 year old daughter who has never spoken about politics before sent me this yesterday:

Olivia Rodrigo endorsed Kamala Harris for President! : r/OliviaRodrigo

Olivia Rodrigo is huge in her age group.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

NYT poll has Trump +1, which is a 5 point swing towards Harris since their last one with Biden 

Harris +1 with RFK only at 5%

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ok, what the fuck is going on with Hannibal Lector? He talks about him all the time now. Going back months ago. Does he think Anthony Hopkins died recently or something?

He doesn’t understand the difference between political asylum seekers and a fictional insane asylum escaped by a fictional serial killer in a fictional movie. 

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Edited by Constant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Zonahorn said:

The polling numbers

Yeah, the top image....I can't make heads or tails of it, can't tell what number changed to what (and I don't know what agedep is).  And Harris LOSING support from black voters....also makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, Plorant said:

To go along with this.  My 13 year old daughter who has never spoken about politics before sent me this yesterday:

Olivia Rodrigo endorsed Kamala Harris for President! : r/OliviaRodrigo

Olivia Rodrigo is huge in her age group.  

Sadly that demographic mostly isn't old enough to vote, but yeah. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, the top image....I can't make heads or tails of it, can't tell what number changed to what (and I don't know what agedep is).  And Harris LOSING support from black voters....also makes no sense.

I dunno. I can see a world where black men don't want to vote for ANY woman, black or white. Of course I'm a fucking white man, so what the shit do I know? (nothing).

Just now, Brisketexan said:

It has to be black men, but the crosstabs have been really bad with black and younger voters. I’d like to see another org do another big poll of just black voters with a huge sample.

the thing about small sample crosstabs is they’re so small, that 4-5 people can swing it 10-15% in one direction 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The tweet I posted has the numbers that changed, TLDR is good for Kamala. Agedep is the polling that had 18-29 voters going for Trump and 65+ going to Biden this year. That’s complete horseshit, no answer aside from NYT being trash.

7 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Da fuq?

People are weird / polling still broken.

1) In no way do I believe Kamala Harris has less black voter support than Biden.

And B. Latinos #’s look borked.

Ain’t no way Kamala es muy bueno y Biden es muy malo to that extent.

And thirdly, dumb whites have far more racism to offer than this poll indicates.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, immamac said:

Did you watch that easily accessible video where 4 different people say her name and she says her own name at the end? 

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Go watch her VP debate

Kamala Harris Debate GIF by Election 2020

I just read about it. I rarely watch anything, except UT sports and YouTube videos to understand something I am trying to fix. I end up wasting hours what people write here than watching a recommended show, for instance. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ok, what the fuck is going on with Hannibal Lector? He talks about him all the time now. Going back months ago. Does he think Anthony Hopkins died recently or something?

That social media woman had the best explanation.  He heard from some aide that Venezuela and some Central American countries were pouring out their mental hospitals, jails, and insane asylums to cross Mexico into the U.S.  And on another occasion, he hears many are coming here seeking 'asylum.'  He conflates the two definitions, and asks for a high profile example of somebody dangerous from an asylum., and Hannibal Lecter pops up on the first page.  Without any understanding of political/religious/humanitarian asylum, he just runs with the talking point that everybody kinda nods their head to like, "Yeah, I think I remember that guy."

The other weird thing, besides him constantly pointing out one person to be cannibalized at each really, is he prefaces it with "The Late, Great Hannibal Lecter."  Hannibal doesn't die in the movie.  We know this because we don't see him die, but fade into the crowd in the Bahamas.  And he resurfaces stateside ten years later for another rampage.  Anthony Hopkins, as you point out, is still alive in real life as well.  

First thing they tell you when you're showing dementia/early cognitive decline is to get out of your mental routine.  Don't keep talking to the same people about the same thing over and over and over again.  Just because you keep saying weird shit and it feels comforting, doesn't mean it doesn't accelerate the decline.  You've got to expose yourself to new books, new groups of people, new activities requiring some brain power (puzzles, swimming, gardening, etc.), new shows and movies, new topics of conversation.  It was one thing in 2016 when he was barely 70 because it got his crowd riled up because they craved easily digestible politics.  But now, he's just running a paint-by-numbers thing, gets no pushback, and it's blatantly obvious to even the casual independent that he has no original thoughts anymore. 

He's just on a loop to the bottom.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I hate it when someone posts their analysis of a poll, but doesn't include a link to the poll.  While a poll might have some value in total, when you start getting down to demographic splits, you might be talking 30 people with practically no statistical meaning.  

And, yeah, not posting the row headers makes me question their basic competency. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Fuck that pesky constitution amirite. It’s literally the 1st fucking amendment. It comes before your precious guns you dumb fucks.

What do you plan on doing to those who fly it upside down?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That social media woman had the best explanation.  He heard from some aide that Venezuela and some Central American countries were pouring out their mental hospitals, jails, and insane asylums to cross Mexico into the U.S.  And on another occasion, he hears many are coming here seeking 'asylum.'  He conflates the two definitions, and asks for a high profile example of somebody dangerous from an asylum., and Hannibal Lecter pops up on the first page.  Without any understanding of political/religious/humanitarian asylum, he just runs with the talking point that everybody kinda nods their head to like, "Yeah, I think I remember that guy."

The other weird thing, besides him constantly pointing out one person to be cannibalized at each really, is he prefaces it with "The Late, Great Hannibal Lecter."  Hannibal doesn't die in the movie.  We know this because we don't see him die, but fade into the crowd in the Bahamas.  And he resurfaces stateside ten years later for another rampage.  Anthony Hopkins, as you point out, is still alive in real life as well.  

First thing they tell you when you're showing dementia/early cognitive decline is to get out of your mental routine.  Don't keep talking to the same people about the same thing over and over and over again.  Just because you keep saying weird shit and it feels comforting, doesn't mean it doesn't accelerate the decline.  You've got to expose yourself to new books, new groups of people, new activities requiring some brain power (puzzles, swimming, gardening, etc.), new shows and movies, new topics of conversation.  It was one thing in 2016 when he was barely 70 because it got his crowd riled up because they craved easily digestible politics.  But now, he's just running a paint-by-numbers thing, gets no pushback, and it's blatantly obvious to even the casual independent that he has no original thoughts anymore. 

He's just on a loop to the bottom.

Yeah. We've all seen the fucking intro to Scarface.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

he did the same thing as POTUS when he thought actual coyotes (the animals) were coming over the border because it wasn't secure.  he didn't realize that smugglers are called coyotes.  his brain can't handle when one word has more than one meaning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread is moving too fast to keep up. Everyone needs to take a breath. 

I asked nicely yesterday, and everyone held it to 6 pages from around 9 am to 6 pm or so.  Maybe that's what you need to do.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Keep it up. Make him crack. He's not ready for this heat. 

God, you know he fucking hates this tweet. He’s probably stuffing three double quarter pounders to cope.