2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

16 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Lots of explanations about the Hannibal Lecter thing, and I think the "asylum" explanation seems likely, but as to why he tags the "late great Hannibal" bit, I think somewhere in the corners of his stupid brain he is pulling Hannibal the Great, the Carthaginian general.

No fucking way it is that Hannibal.

Hannibal lost. Like a dog.

To somebody named Africanus

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Tik Tok pivot is a nice move. My Mom is a Boomer and she’s on Tik Tok a lot because Facebook got all crazy and Trump ruined everybody for her. It’s not just Gen Z on Tik Tok, it’s a lot of older people too who don’t like all the Facebook bullshit.

I’d like to know if candidates can ask Tik Tok to place targeted ads geared towards a specific group of voters in a certain area. Like if a Democrat is against school vouchers they could target rural counties who typically vote R (but voters are against school vouchers) by telling Tik Tok to blast a specific commercial there talking about how anti voucher the candidate is. Does political advertising in social media work like this? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Texas is gerrymandered but is also full of dumbass rubes.  NC and WIS are gerrymandered as bad if not worse than TX yet have Dem governors.  It ain't gerrymandering keeping TX governorship red, it's a shitty electorate.

27 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I think the deep motivation underneath it all is a belief they are voting for their interest.  If you're a left-behind uneducated white person, its rational to believe that voting for a racist system will provide fewer opportunities to black people, which means more opportunities to you.

This is the main problem in Texas. The data below show the actual number of votes that were cast in 2020 in comparison to each state's 18+ age (voter-aged) population, according to the 2020 Census.

Less than half of our "adults" voted. As Js1 has stated repeatedly, we don't vote at nearly the same rate as other states. Why is that?

Years and years of gerrymandering and voter suppression have led to a whole swath of folks being too discouraged to vote. I can't tell you how many times I've heard (and even thought myself): "It doesn't matter how I vote -- I live in Texas."

image.png.93344ae4e0c88ac94fb361c81abd6e80.png

Edited to add North Carolina and Wisconsin. Yes, they were gerrymandered, but they haven't been trained over decades to acquire the same sense of learned helplessness. This is what 30 years of one-party rule does to the public.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

7 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

No fucking way it is that Hannibal.

Hannibal lost. Like a dog.

To somebody named Africanus

Loop Trump GIF

No way a great general like the late, great Hannibal Lector would lose to a black guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, MissingInAction said:

Texas turned to piss. It's up to us to change it.

Tarrant county went to Biden last cycle. I feel like that would be unheard of going back a long way. These gains are possible, but it’s a hell of an uphill battle. I’m in Ellis Co where my vote is worth less than a blade of grass on my lawn, but it’s up to us to be a part of that change.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I think the deep motivation underneath it all is a belief they are voting for their interest.  If you're a left-behind uneducated white person, its rational to believe that voting for a racist system will provide fewer opportunities to black people, which means more opportunities to you.

ding ding ding.  They think the meskins and bleks are taking theirs.  Welfare buh gawd. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Texas turned to piss. It's up to us to change it.

the only hope are the Whole Foods counties, and try to snipe some of the adjacent counties 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Texas is gerrymandered but is also full of dumbass rubes.  NC and WIS are gerrymandered as bad if not worse than TX yet have Dem governors.  It ain't gerrymandering keeping TX governorship red, it's a shitty electorate.

You would think having such large cities would push us at least more purple. But Dallas and Houston (and Austin and San Antonio to a smaller degree) are completely surrounded by large populations of magats

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Hopefully there are more like him. 

"Former" (with no possibility of ever winning public office again) is the key word in front of Mr. Duncan. 

There aren't more coming from anyone with skin in the game.

28 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I guess this goes here:

Trying to think what drugs he can be on. Cocaine is the obvious one, but it's gotta be more than that. I'm guessing drunk/heavily buzzed as well.  I'm not that familiar with pills. 

• Like 1

Just now, mdmost said:

Countdown to the right calling her anti-semitic. She being married to a Jewish man and possibly selecting a Jewish running mate.

Trump did yesterday:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-claims-kamala-harris-is-totally-against-the-jewish-people-which-may-come-as-news-to-her-husband/

Former President Donald Trump repeatedly attacked Vice President Kamala Harris during a rally on Wednesday, telling the crowd, “She’s totally against the Jewish people.”

The baseless claim would come as news to Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff, who is Jewish.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Countdown to the right calling her anti-semitic. She being married to a Jewish man and possibly selecting a Jewish running mate.

Countdown?  Trump said yesterday that Harris "is totally against the Jewish people".

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trying to think what drugs he can be on. Cocaine is the obvious one, but it's gotta be more than that. I'm guessing drunk/heavily buzzed as well.  I'm not that familiar with pills. 

Probably a couple lines of coke and snorted 40mgs of adderall. 

• Hook 'Em 4