2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I really feel like it's a changing of the guard. The boomers aren't even being thought about. Who gives a fuck what Manchin, Pelosi, Obama, etc thinks. 

We thought our generation was going to be passed over but nope.

All of a sudden, the forgotten generation...Gen X arrives late to the party...like a fucking Mack truck.  We bring our love of brutal honestly, distrust of authority, sarcasm, casual sex, binge drinking, and weed and give no fucks about appeasing the other side. Roll over boomers, a reckoning is here.

Kamala Harris is a boomer, technically. Born October 1964. 

Nancy Pelosi was integral to getting Biden to step aside, though she is actually not a boomer because she's too old lol. Born 1940. She and Biden are Silent Generation.

13 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Sounds like he's planting the seeds of doubt early this year so he can claim election fraud.

That is exactly what is going on. I feel okay given key positions won by Democrats in the 2022 Midterms and Biden's relatively robust judicial appointment volume, but I am sure the ratfuckery will be stronger than 2020 in the event of a GOP loss.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

This is the main problem in Texas. The data below show the actual number of votes that were cast in 2020 in comparison to each state's 18+ age (voter-aged) population, according to the 2020 Census.

Less than half of our "adults" voted. As Js1 has stated repeatedly, we don't vote at nearly the same rate as other states. Why is that?

Years and years of gerrymandering and voter suppression have led to a whole swath of folks being too discouraged to vote. I can't tell you how many times I've heard (and even thought myself): "It doesn't matter how I vote -- I live in Texas."

image.png.93344ae4e0c88ac94fb361c81abd6e80.png

Edited to add North Carolina and Wisconsin. Yes, they were gerrymandered, but they haven't been trained over decades to acquire the same sense of learned helplessness. This is what 30 years of one-party rule does to the public.

This is a little misleading because the foreign born population (best easily accessible proxy for noncitizens) of Wisconsin and NC are minimal compared to TX, and Florida has a hugely disproportionate amount of old white people.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

He can quit. He can’t be fired from the ticket. But don’t worry, Ohio and Alabama will suddenly carve out an exception 

Or Putin's goons could push him out a window

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Let’s hope not. He’s one of the Dem’s best weapons. In all seriousness, who would they replace him with? What talent does the GQP have ready to go from a swing state?

Talent is not a consideration. Loyalty to Trump is the sole criterion by which all candidates will be judged. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Kamala Harris is a boomer, technically. Born October 1964. 

Well, not technically. While various public opinion research outfits (like Pew) start GenX at 1965 because that’s *clearly* a Gen X cohort and you’re not catching baby boomers at the left tail, most demographers and the social security administration use 1961 because that’s when the birth rate started dropping, thus the baby boom was over. Sociologists are often in the middle, saying that Gen X begins with the vibe shift that followed the Kennedy Assassination. 
For these reasons, it’s pretty accurate to call Kamala Harris a Gen Xer because culturally, she is. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

58 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So the debate is back on?

It will just be a new excuse. 

• Not debating on whatever network
  • Doesn't like the moderators
  • The moon is in a weird phase
  • He's too busy getting all the couches at MAL reupholstered after JD Vance was there
  • Barron is graduating high school again and he has to go
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not that I would ever vote for her, but this is what the gop ought to be leading with. She would be a formidable candidate against any democrat. Instead Dotard has taken over the party and the whacko nutjobs are in control. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

She can kinda get fucked though. She bent the knee fully. She's an opportunist. 

She’s a clown and wouldn’t be a formidable candidate at all. She’s doesn’t have any actual policy ideas other than what the heritage foundation wants.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Keeping herself front and center if there’s a VP opening 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It will just be a new excuse. 

• Not debating on whatever network
  • Doesn't like the moderators
  • The moon is in a weird phase
  • He's too busy getting all the couches at MAL reupholstered after JD Vance was there
  • Barron is graduating high school again and he has to go

Will insist Hannibal Lecter moderate it. 

17 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Not that I would ever vote for her, but this is what the gop ought to be leading with. She would be a formidable candidate against any democrat. Instead Dotard has taken over the party and the whacko nutjobs are in control. 

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

At least she's not guzzling the Trump kool-aid bleach like the rest of MAGA, and openly admits that the party that nominates someone other than the old fading white guy is getting an edge.  She goes on to say why Kamala would be a terrible president, which is no different than any other Republican, whether MAGA or pre-MAGA.  But she understands that attacking or even commenting on her gender or race is a bad move.  Too bad (or good) that her party won't listen to her.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think what's happened is fascinating and id love to find a study or conduct one. 

My hypothesis is that the American people got tired of the cookie cutter Nikki Haley types who are just empty shells assigned to a party who have no personal ideology or platform and are just doing what they do for power and noteriety. 

They want to believe that people are fully invested in what they want to accomplish which leads to extremist views and conviction with the speaking. The problem is it's hard to take extremist views seriously right now when it involves reversing clear progress that's been made vs progress that we still want to make. 

I don't think the Democratic platform is one filled with extremism, but there are some aspects that are "too progressive" for some. It's just easier for someone like Kamala to come in the scene and seem like she genuinely gives a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

At least she's not guzzling the Trump kool-aid bleach like the rest of MAGA, and openly admits that the party that nominates someone other than the old fading white guy is getting an edge.  She goes on to say why Kamala would be a terrible president, which is no different than any other Republican, whether MAGA or pre-MAGA.  But she understands that attacking or even commenting on her gender or race is a bad move.  Too bad (or good) that her party won't listen to her.

Also Tapper was so bad in that interview. Just sat there and let her spew bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Also Tapper was so bad in that interview. Just sat there and let her spew bullshit.

I don't know what the fuck is up with Tapper.  When in studio he's shown the ability to call bullshit on MAGA, but when he's in an in-person interview, or during the June presidential debate, he turns into a giant pussy who's happy to give a platform for bullshit fucking lies without saying a peep.

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

This is the main problem in Texas. The data below show the actual number of votes that were cast in 2020 in comparison to each state's 18+ age (voter-aged) population, according to the 2020 Census.

Less than half of our "adults" voted. As Js1 has stated repeatedly, we don't vote at nearly the same rate as other states. Why is that?

Years and years of gerrymandering and voter suppression have led to a whole swath of folks being too discouraged to vote. I can't tell you how many times I've heard (and even thought myself): "It doesn't matter how I vote -- I live in Texas."

image.png.93344ae4e0c88ac94fb361c81abd6e80.png

Edited to add North Carolina and Wisconsin. Yes, they were gerrymandered, but they haven't been trained over decades to acquire the same sense of learned helplessness. This is what 30 years of one-party rule does to the public.

Yes the poor performance of the TX Democrat party has made all of us, including Republicans, understand that our votes don’t matter for statewide elections. I normally vote Democrat and I seriously do not know who runs the state party and whether there even is a statewide party. It wouldn’t surprise me if the same person(s) have been in charge of it for 20 years. Earning a nice paycheck while consistently failing. 

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'm at the point where I think Tapper is secretly full-on maga. 

I’m not there yet but do think CNN leadership lets them editorialize, but not push back/fact check interviews for fear of Republicans not coming on the network. Because Collins was just awful on Sunday letting the Republican she had claim Biden was dead 

• Hook 'Em 2