2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

We need a new thread title now that it's clear who the 2 candidate are. I was going to wait until after the DNC, but if the Obama's are in that means it's happening. 

We’re Not Going Back

Also we should probably open about nine new threads on the election.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

We’re Not Going Back

Also we should probably open about nine new threads on the election.

It can't be only one party specific. The we may be fucked thing works for both candidates. The current thread title is neutral as well. 

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think he's stuck with him. 

I bet he doesn't last past the DNC.  He'll replace him w/ a female candidate. 

And I don't wear hats but would absolutely wear a "White Dudes for Harris" tshirt. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 1

Apparently the Vance fucking a couch thing is real and was in his book prior to 2016. There are some screen shots floating around the TikToks. It would be interesting to see a pre2016 copy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I bet he doesn't last past the DNC.  He'll replace him w/ a female candidate. 

And I don't wear hats but would absolutely wear a "White Dudes for Harris" tshirt. 

I’d wear the hat. I’d keep it in my car too for the few times I’ve seen some lame ass MAGA shirt at the gym 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They've found out the plot.  (Why are they so obsessed with Michelle Obama?)

Always happy to see clips of this clown exposed. 

My only concern about the incredible JD Vance storyline is if he gets replaced by this asshole. Hopefully the GOP is too racist and would never let it happen. I think Vivek is a incredibly dangerous person and needs to fuck right off out of the political arena. 

4 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

The rest of America is learning what us Minnesotans have known for a while: he's a damn effective governor. Alongside a DFL Legislature, they are a big fan of competent governance.  Among other things, his administration had the unemployment system ready to roll and fully funded when the COVID shutdowns sent everyone to the unemployment line

Is the Gov Lite ready to succeed him? He’s very young right?

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Well, not technically. While various public opinion research outfits (like Pew) start GenX at 1965 because that’s *clearly* a Gen X cohort and you’re not catching baby boomers at the left tail, most demographers and the social security administration use 1961 because that’s when the birth rate started dropping, thus the baby boom was over. Sociologists are often in the middle, saying that Gen X begins with the vibe shift that followed the Kennedy Assassination. 
For these reasons, it’s pretty accurate to call Kamala Harris a Gen Xer because culturally, she is. 

Fully agree with you on the cultural bit, just ribbing the poster wanting Gen X to rise up.

Although, re the SSA, they also seem to use 1965: https://www.ssa.gov/open/data/EOY-Generational-Data.html

I've never heard the Kennedy assassination thing but I think I like that definition in theory.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Not that I would ever vote for her, but this is what the gop ought to be leading with. She would be a formidable candidate against any democrat. Instead Dotard has taken over the party and the whacko nutjobs are in control. 

Nikki’s words are meaningless. Who gives a fuck what she says?

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure that Trump is capable of having a woman as a running mate. JD was picked because Trump knows that he won't be disloyal in a critical moment for him like Pence was. I don't think there's any way that Trump can feel confident about Nikki Haley protecting him similarly. And what other woman could it possibly be from the the Republicans?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, safe sex said:

I'm not sure that Trump is capable of having a woman as a running mate. JD was picked because Trump knows that he won't be disloyal in a critical moment for him like Pence was. I don't think there's any way that Trump can feel confident about Nikki Haley protecting him similarly. And what other woman could it possibly be from the the Republicans?

Nancy Pelosi Matilda GIF

Stefanik?

1 minute ago, safe sex said:

Kristi Noem says hi. And that's just to start with. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Not that I would ever vote for her, but this is what the gop ought to be leading with. She would be a formidable candidate against any democrat. Instead Dotard has taken over the party and the whacko nutjobs are in control. 

Did he ask her her thoughts on her own PAC abandoning her and endorsing Harris? 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I think what's happened is fascinating and id love to find a study or conduct one. 

My hypothesis is that the American people got tired of the cookie cutter Nikki Haley types who are just empty shells assigned to a party who have no personal ideology or platform and are just doing what they do for power and noteriety. 

They want to believe that people are fully invested in what they want to accomplish which leads to extremist views and conviction with the speaking. The problem is it's hard to take extremist views seriously right now when it involves reversing clear progress that's been made vs progress that we still want to make. 

I don't think the Democratic platform is one filled with extremism, but there are some aspects that are "too progressive" for some. It's just easier for someone like Kamala to come in the scene and seem like she genuinely gives a shit. 

I mean, your hypothesis is a legitimate critique/concern of Harris. I couldn't tell you what the specifics are for her vision of the country because she's never really articulated that.

It just so happens that 1.) Presidential elections are first and foremost personal popularity contests, and 2.) The Democratic party agenda is more popular than Joe Biden was personally - see polling on Senate races and Congressional generic ballot. Her being a relatively personable version of "Generic Democrat" may end up being a strength running against a very unpopular Donald Trump.

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Kristi Noem says hi. And that's just to start with. 

IMHO this is why he can't replace Vance - all of the alternatives that he could stomach have massive amounts of baggage that turns off everyone who isn't in the cult. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Stephanick

Gnome

Graham 

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

IMHO this is why he can't replace Vance - all of the alternatives that he could stomach have massive amounts of baggage that turns off everyone who isn't in the cult. 

Must be bad if you have so much baggage you can't replace a known couch fucker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I mean, being in the GOP at this point categorically means full loyalty to Donald Trump. Look at Haley. Made a lot, a lot of noise in the primary and ultimately offered a whole-hearted endorsement. Trump is the platform, Trump is the party. Any female with an R by their name would ultimately pass this test.

It's legitimately more likely he doesn't think any of them are hot enough.

So if this couch thing can take off, I think there should be a grass roots effort purporting to come from "inside the house" suggesting Trump resign, it's best for the party, etc.  He would never do it, of course, and his followers won't buy it, but I think if it got enough traction, it would fuck with his head tremendously.  Hell you can start with -- "Project 2025 architects pleased with JD Vance pick given his support for the plan, but extremely unhappy with Trump's unwillingness to back agenda . . . considering withholding funding until he supports and our steps aside for JD Vance."  Wishful thinking, but there needs to be some "from inside the house" casting doubts on Trump's age, cognitive ability, and loyalty to conservative values...  It's not going to change votes, but it will unhinge Trump.

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzbQUT4tlf9VZbZ0MobO9

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Walz has a daughter that just graduated college and a son in high school. There are no grandpa vibes. More like your favorite uncle. People will get over him looking older quickly.

He served 24 years in the Army reserves and became a Command Sergeant Major. He taught HS Geography and coached HS football for 20 years. It's probably why he's so good at attacking Vance and Trump. If there's anyone who has seen/heard stupid bullshit and knows how to call it out, it's someone with his professional background. I think he's got great instincts on how to connect with younger people, considering he's been around them his whole life.  

Tim Walz doesn't have time for this MAGA nonsense. What a refreshing approach. 

People don't care about age. They care about vibes. Trump is just as old as Biden but sounds the same as he did 8 years ago. Walz definitely does not sound or come across like a pitter pattering old.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Walz has a daughter that just graduated college and a son in high school. There are no grandpa vibes. More like your favorite uncle. People will get over him looking older quickly.

He served 24 years in the Army reserves and became a Command Sergeant Major. He taught HS Geography and coached HS football for 20 years. It's probably why he's so good at attacking Vance and Trump. If there's anyone who has seen/heard stupid bullshit and knows how to call it out, it's someone with his professional background. I think he's got great instincts on how to connect with younger people, considering he's been around them his whole life.  

Tim Walz doesn't have time for this MAGA nonsense. What a refreshing approach. 

Walz would be America's uncle.  Doug would be America's dad. 

We just kicked America's grandpa to the curb so he could enjoy retirement. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

RE: Trump trying to counter with a female VP.  This year, it just isn't going to work. Any female associated with Trump is a female associated with the Supremes, removing abortion access, everything.  They are saddled with that no matter what they say. 

The only positive a female brings Trump in 2024 is the fact they probably haven't known any couches or other furniture biblically.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is the Gov Lite ready to succeed him? He’s very young right?

Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan would succeed him, and she was a mover and shaker in the aforementioned Legislature prior to being named Gov. Walz's running mate.

I believe she would also be the first Native American governor in the US.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Soup Gazpacho GIF by GIPHY NewsPresident Biden Smh GIF by PBS NewsHourRepublican National Convention Hair GIF by Election 2016bristol palin sarah GIFNorth Korea Noem GIF by GIPHY News

More of the labor unions like Walz

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

JD Vance isnt going to resign. 

Well, not on his own volition he won’t but it’s not up to him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

JD Vance isnt going to resign. Losing ruins his political career but resigning makes it over immediately with no possibility of winning. 

He'll continue to be a Senator for another 4 years, minimum, and it's fucking Ohio - he has that seat as long as he wants it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He will do whatever they tell him to do. 

I don't agree. I think barring serious legal issues you can't coerce him to resign as it's a completely no win situation for him and he's a vindictive piece of shit. 

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Fully agree with you on the cultural bit, just ribbing the poster wanting Gen X to rise up.

Although, re the SSA, they also seem to use 1965: https://www.ssa.gov/open/data/EOY-Generational-Data.html

I've never heard the Kennedy assassination thing but I think I like that definition in theory.

My mistake thanks. I could have sworn they did. 

When I was knee deep in this stuff professionally in the mid 2000’s because we were trying to figure out millennials the 61 vs 65 thing was a topic, because it related to whether millennials started at 77 or 80. The school of thought that I aligned to was that defining a generational cohort from a marketing standpoint is about the number of people that hold a loose common set of attitudes, assumptions, behaviors etc. For that reason I liked 64-80, coinciding with the Kennedy being shot and the election of Reagan.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The only positive a female brings Trump in 2024 is the fact they probably haven't known any couches or other furniture biblically.

Then again...

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't agree. I think barring serious legal issues you can't coerce him to resign as it's a completely no win situation for him and he's a vindictive piece of shit. 

A no-win situation is completely torpedoing Trump's campaign. People smell blood and they will continue to effectively attack. He's on a path of ending his political career as we speak. 

I hope you're right though and they stick with him. 

• Hook 'Em 1