2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I am not sure how late in the cycle one can change their residency.  Trump would have to, as both DeSantis and Rubio are elected officials for the state of Florida. 

Cheney changed his late July 2000.  

That's what I thought when Lil Marco was mentioned as a top candidate, but never heard about it then.

• Hook 'Em 1

This election should not be close and it would not be if not for the EC, which literally brings out the worst in us. Instead of trying to unite the country, political calculations rely on keeping your base and threading the needle of swing state voters, many of which respond to the fear tactics and hateful rhetoric and chaos pushed by the right at the rest of our expense. Imagine how different campaigns would be if the president was elected by popular vote. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, shakahorn said:

That's what I thought when Lil Marco was mentioned as a top candidate, but never heard about it then.

I would imagine if Trump tried to change his residency weeks after the RNC to pick DeSantis or Rubio, the Democrats would and should sue. He’s officially the GOP nominee from the state of Florida. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How to Damage Control:

Everyone calm down. Senator Vance was just saying that childless women are miserable in their own lives and want to make everyone else miserable, too. He didn’t mean to bring cats into it and is grateful to Megyn Kelly for the opportunity to clarify his views. 

JFC, this dude is an idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I bet he doesn't last past the DNC.  He'll replace him w/ a female candidate. 

And I don't wear hats but would absolutely wear a "White Dudes for Harris" tshirt. 

When I'm wearing any tshirt, the "White Dude for" part is pretty obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

How she could bend the knee to a man who said all those things about her father just shows how gutless so called conservatives are. This is exactly who you are since 2008, Meghan. 

I thought she was vehemently anti-Trump (setting aside her other issues).  Did I miss something?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I thought she was vehemently anti-Trump (setting aside her other issues).  Did I miss something?

Go look at her Twitter feed. She's as big a shitbag as any of the other MAGA people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

How she could bend the knee to a man who said all those things about her father just shows how gutless so called conservatives are. This is exactly who you are since 2008, Meghan. 

I think she meant other conservative women friends who support Trump are now reconsidering, not that she was voting for Trump, in the manner of 

“not that he lives in Oklahoma freakshow and I am the idoit.”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So it appears Tucker is mostly to blame, err thank, for dipshit’s selection of JD Vance as VP.

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/trump-has-tucker-carlson-to-blame-for-the-abject-disaster-of-selecting-jd-vance-as-his-running-mate/

the same guy who texted "I hate him (Trump) passionately."?

the same guy who texted in regards to Trump's presidency : “We’re all pretending we’ve got a lot to show for it, because admitting what a disaster it’s been is too tough to digest; But come on. There isn’t really an upside to Trump.”?

the same guy who texted : "We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights. I truly can’t wait."?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think she meant other conservative women friends who support Trump are now reconsidering, not that she was voting for Trump, in the manner of 

“not that he lives in Oklahoma freakshow and I am the idoit.”

Yet she reposts every meme about Biden and Kamala. She's just trying to get Vance off the ticket. She's still voting for Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

"Caused real pain"?  "Innately unchristian"?  Bitch, that's EXACTLY who they are. 

In fairness to Meghan, its not unchristian in MAGA world to say that most immigrants are rapists and criminals. White women feeling personally attacked is unchristian though!

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yep.

And also....look, do I like Meghan McCain?  No.  I do not.  She is plenty piece of shitty, aligned with many of the shittiest of conservative ideas.

BUT....does she have some epic thundercats, and am I distracted by that?  Yes. 

meghan_mccain_1485598032.jpg

I am a simple man, and I should probably be ashamed of that, but I'm too simple to be ashamed.  Quite the internal conundrum.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Walz ...

He served 24 years in the Army reserves and became a Command Sergeant Major.

Gotdamn. He'd have Maga low-crawlin across HIS parking lot cleanin it with toothbrushes.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's fucking incredible. My dad is an IBEW California hippie who you couldn't pay to say anything nice about a Republican, but even he respects John McCain more than his own daughter. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that's literally how the tax system already works.  guess he's never bothered working through his own 1040 before. or he's too dumb to understand some of the most simple things about personal income taxes.

Was about to say, don't we have a child tax CREDIT.  Now I think it is kind of dumb it is at its least valuable when a kid tends to get the most expensive but I get the whole 18, technically adult, no "requirement to go to college" thing so that's a discussion for another thread BUT yea people who have kids do get a tax benefit over an equally positioned person without kids.  What a moron.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TexEx15 said:

Man, after Sunday (1 full week), I need a full accounting of what Dems raised in a week.  Might be close to $300m in small donor money, if not more.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I am not sure how late in the cycle one can change their residency.  Trump would have to, as both DeSantis and Rubio are elected officials for the state of Florida. 

Cheney changed his late July 2000.  

DeSantis could camp out at Tuberville's empty house in Alabama.

2 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I am super glad that some white women, even a lot of white women, have their shit together.  Way to go ladies.

But...you're still not welcome to bring your shitty potato salad to the potluck.  Some things are more important than politics.

YouGov fav/unfav (no topline yet)

Harris 44/48 (-4)
Trump 43/53 (-10)
Biden 36/59 (-23) - woof, I hope this rebounds the longer he is out of the race, he's too good of a POTUS for that
Vance 34/43 (-9)

That is a huge bounce back in favorable for Harris, who was kind of languishing in the mid-to-upper 30s as VP.  Outrunning Biden's numbers by 17 points - he made the right call, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

But...you're still not welcome to bring your shitty potato salad to the potluck.  Some things are more important than politics.

Who among us has not hovered over that potato salad after several beers?

44 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How to Damage Control:

Everyone calm down. Senator Vance was just saying that childless women are miserable in their own lives and want to make everyone else miserable, too. He didn’t mean to bring cats into it and is grateful to Megyn Kelly for the opportunity to clarify his views. 

"JD Vance doesn't know what sarcasm is." 

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Not that I would ever vote for her, but this is what the gop ought to be leading with. She would be a formidable candidate against any democrat. Instead Dotard has taken over the party and the whacko nutjobs are in control. 

She sounds politically smart, but she cleaves to the tired old songs that used to rouse the hate and disdain. 

Kamala's progressive. We're moving ahead and we're not going back. Good.

Kamala failed on the border. Trump failed on the border and managed to fail on the border when he wasn't even in office.

Kamala is against drilling and fracking. We're going to face the climate crisis. Good. Looking ahead.

Kamala's more progressive than Joe Biden. True! The Republicans are regressive and how is that working? Good.

It finally feels like someone smarter than me is running the campaign. It also feels like people smarter than me and better speakers are beginning to steal the show. 

It also feels like there may be a Democratic rebirth to pull the country out of this hideous spiral to fascism.

Yes, we can! We're not going back! Obamala changes the country. Biden held off the barbarians maybe just long enough.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Who among us has not hovered over that potato salad after several beers?

No. I'm usually hovering around the pit snaking small pieces of BBQ until I eventually consume more than my share before everyone has a chance to get some.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My kid turns 18 a week before election day.  Yesterday she sent me a calendar appointment to register her to vote 60 days before her birthday.  

I have 3 kids in college in 3 states.  I told all 3 that I will sponsor a pizza party on election night for all of their friends/classmates that vote (but don’t invite maga)

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

What in the fuck if she doing???  I fucking swear if Hope kills her dad before election day I am gonna be very pissed!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4