2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

From where? The internets?

Bolton was on CNN last night and he thinks Vance won’t get replaced. I 

It would be hilarious but he won’t do it. He would look weak, he needs Vance’s connection to Thiel and SV money and Vance is taking the headlines off Trump and the shit he says 

Funny enough, Harris needs an attack dog type VP. Trump just needs someone to keep the headlines off him. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

From where? The internets?

Bolton was on CNN last night and he thinks Vance won’t get replaced. I 

Newsweek, but on closer reading it just “a lot of people are saying that.”

22CAD5FD-AA92-4D37-A494-1F6E2C6CBF4B.jpeg

Edited by Bullneck

The Republicans have been throwing a hissy fit over Biden stepping out pre-convention.   How would they spin Trump shoving Vance aside post-convention?  Yes, Biden went through the primaries as the presumptive candidate.  But naming a VP and then kicking them out post-convention isn't going to happen.   Trump can't admit he was wrong at this point, both due to his hubris and the effective political fall out.  It would be quite spectacular.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Newsweek, but on closer reading it just “a lot of people are saying that.”

22CAD5FD-AA92-4D37-A494-1F6E2C6CBF4B.jpeg

Stupid question, but if Vance doesn’t quit can they just do that?

32 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So Trump told them they won't have to vote.  The only damage control spin I can even possibly imagine (even though his whole "we will fix it" part makes even this real tough) is "oh he just meant that he won't be able to run again".  To which the obvious response would be "oh so a former President who wants the job again doesn't really give a shit about what happens to the country when it doesn't involve him?"

It's all bullshit, he meant exactly what he said,  but that's what I can see coming and it will be up to folks to be critical thinkers enough to come to that second conclusion. The media isn't going to be helpful and I won't hold my breath.

The only way that makes any sense at all is how he meant it. And of course the crowd cheers like crazy. I'm convinced at this point he could stand up there and say "After this is over, we're going to round all of you up and cut off your heads" and they'd cheer.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

The Republicans have been throwing a hissy fit over Biden stepping out pre-convention.   How would they spin Trump shoving Vance aside post-convention?  Yes, Biden went through the primaries as the presumptive candidate.  But naming a VP and then kicking them out post-convention isn't going to happen.   Trump can't admit he was wrong at this point, both due to his hubris and the effective political fall out.  It would be quite spectacular.

It would also just reiterate the critique of Trump's awful decision-making wrt hiring subordinates.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If it's those three, it should be Kelly.  Although, I didn't know who Walz was before this week and I find him to be likable and hilarious.

Team Walz or Kelly 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If it's those three, it should be Kelly.  Although, I didn't know who Walz was before this week and I find him to be likable and hilarious.

No way, he's too milquetoast as a running mate and is more needed in that Senate seat. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Just now, Gourmand said:

No way, he's too milquetoast as a running mate and is more needed in that Senate seat. 

Great candidate.  Even Cindy McCain speaks very highly of him and says he'd bring AZ.  Also a good personal story and a lot of voters will be reminded of his wife being shot.

Every name being thrown around is solid but Kelly is prolly the best.  Impressive person, too.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The only way that makes any sense at all is how he meant it. And of course the crowd cheers like crazy. I'm convinced at this point he could stand up there and say "After this is over, we're going to round all of you up and cut off your heads" and they'd cheer.

I would absolutely cheer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Great candidate.  Even Cindy McCain speaks very highly of him and says he'd bring AZ.  Also a good personal story and a lot of voters will be reminded of his wife being shot.

Every name being thrown around is solid but Kelly is prolly the best.  Impressive person, too.

I really like Kelly, but he just doesn't have the juice of someone like Walz

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Agreed he is a great candidate and at least his appointee would be selected by a Democratic governor, but is it worth the risk of losing his Senate seat in a 2026 special election when his term is supposed to expire in 2028?

14 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Agreed he is a great candidate and at least his appointee would be selected by a Democratic governor, but is it worth the risk of losing his Senate seat in a 2026 special election when his term is supposed to expire in 2028?

Who gives a fuck what the Senate composition is if it’s the end of democracy?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Not to mention that 2026 senate map is very favorable to Dems regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had to return to my desk to work and missed that part. I expected the Lady Gaga number to be a drag show prior to us seeing any faces. It would have been great. Gaga was great, anyway.
[mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] was the first I heard saying "cruelty is our brand." We know whom he meant. Outraged intolerance also fits in there.
I usually don't watch opening ceremonies because they're slow with walking athletes and annoying with the constant drone of announcers spewing needless facts and detail.
My beloved coaxed me to watch with her at lunchtime. Using the river was a fabulous idea to start with. Add all the spectacle and nice mix of new and old, my jaw dropped about every 4 minutes when Coke was sponsoring commercial free. Celine singing from the tower at the end was so very powerful, and she is basically never on my radar.
The French set a very high mark. I'm not surprised, they do so many things well that we often scorn just because it's French. 

Just wait until 2028 L.A. Trump will be God Emperor and we get:

Lee Greenwood
Kid Rock
Forgiato Blow
Tom Macdonald (Featuring Ben Shapiro)

Rosanne Barr will recreate her stunning 1990 rendition of The National Anthem..
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Walz also sort of looks like a guy who would otherwise be making videos in the drivers seat of his truck. And was a former football coach. So maybe, I don’t know, confuse some people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

What an incredible superpower. You can say whatever batshit crazy thought enters your head, and tens of millions of people will still vote for you. For president. 

Contrast that to Biden. The second that debate was over, virtually the entire democratic party was like "holy shit, we've got to get this dude off the ticket." 

Nah, the second the first words were out of Joe’s mouth.  We dems live in reality 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Walz also sort of looks like a guy who would otherwise be making videos in the drivers seat of his truck. And was a former football coach. So maybe, I don’t know, confuse some people.

My kids live in St Paul, Walz is a hello a pick.  What a wiseacre, remember that word?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Because I don't think picking Mark Kelly is any more determinative of that than Josh Shapiro or Tim Walz? I do know, however, that seat will be up for a special election in 2026 if Harris beats Trump and picks Mark Kelly as her veep and Dems need EVERY SENATE SEAT POSSIBLE in a Harris administration. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Honestly it's fear of backlash. Which means we're already not a nation of laws. We're a nation of fee fees. This election is not to keep us on the right track, it's to give us hope of getting back to it. 

The Logan Act was enacted in 1799.  As with many things from those days (Second Amendment I'm looking at you), it is not a marvel of clear draftsmanship.  

There are concerns that, as a criminal statute, it is unconstitutionally vague and violative of the First Amendment.

It has never been successfully enforced, and only two prosecutions have ever been brought, so this is not a new development.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Lots of drag queens (and I mean A LOT of drag queens), which I thought was cool. 

They are really upset at the drag queens acting out the last supper. That put it over the edge for them. 

Was there no potato salad?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It would be hilarious but he won’t do it. He would look weak, he needs Vance’s connection to Thiel and SV money and Vance is taking the headlines off Trump and the shit he says 

But, it's not like it'd be the first time Trump has thrown a hand-selected appointee under the bus.  It's kind of his go-to move.  AG, cheifs of staffs, sec of defense.. A Scaramouch is now a measurement of time.  He nearly got his last VP executed.  It's never a sign of weakness.  It's never a mistake on his part.  It's always "I gave him an opportunity...tried to save him from being a complete loser..and he failed me."  And the cultists don't blink an eye.  

I have no idea what will happen in this election cycle.  The simulation has gone berserk.  But I wouldn't cite Trump admitting a mistake as part of the reasoning, because no matter what he will never admit a mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Because I don't think picking Mark Kelly is any more determinative of that than Josh Shapiro or Tim Walz?

I don’t think I’m at the point where I believe it is a given Harris will win no matter who her VP pick is.   Given that we are potentially talking about hundreds of thousands of votes in key battleground states deciding the election - I tend to feel that a less than perfect VP choice could have dramatic and disastrous electoral college consequences.

The Harris campaign has all the demographics and numbers and stats, and hopefully the expertise to make that best VP pick. But whoever that VP is, I want him or her selected because of their ability to get Harris elected - and not because we assume she will be elected and want a stronger Senate chance.

Every four year period a Democratic president with Veto Power is in office means we prevented the end of democracy in our country, insures Russia will not dictate which borderlands it occupies, and allows four more years of old Trump voters to die and four more years of newly registered young people to hopefully oppose the racist misogynist homophobic nativist tendencies of Maga. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Why is  everyone concerned w walz’s age? That’s what a 60 yo man who doesn’t shave his head or get plugs/dye his hair,  and use Botox / fillers looks like. 

Don't tell that to the TRT boys in the midlife crisis thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Just for funsies

Little bit of a bone to pick with this -

I’m not sure how you can say Beshear (elected in 2019 as governor) is not ready for prime time but Shapiro seemingly is (governor since 2022)? I think both should be “high risk/high reward - ready for prime time?”

Walz and Beshear have both been governors since 2019. Walz was in the House of Reps before that.

Walz and Kelly are the two with the most national experience (Senate and Rep). Walz, Beshear and Cooper have the most executive experience (6.5 years as governor, 5.5 years as governor, 8.5 years as governor, respectively)

Shapiro and Pete (god love him) are probably the least experienced for the position - 2 years as governor and mayor/cabinet secretary (not one of the big ones) 

Walz gives you national legislative experience, executive experience, military background, he was a teacher and he’s backed up the talk with the walk. Like someone said, he looks like your favorite Uncle, and not in a Tim Kaine way, but a comfortable way. 

The other thing is that if media appearances have been any bit of an audition, Walz, Pete and Beshear have knocked it out of the park. Haven’t seen much from Cooper or Kelly on TV. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1