2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

They don't have incumbancy this time. It will be an enormous burden of proof necessary to prove that they won the election, not that there is some technical process for them to force a candidate into office. 

I agree that they need to be prepared for the legal challenges, but this is fear mongering horseshit. We have incredible infrastructure around election integrity and auditable results all over the place. If they just decide because of legalese they aren't going to respect the vote then the country has completely failed and we aren't worried about President Trump, we are worried about a significant conflict that will happen within the military and then if that survives what will happen in the general population.

To chalk this up to "lol they are just gonna rig it legally and ignore the votes be scared!" is ridiculous fearmongering. 

They didn't have incumbency in 2000 either.

Edit: And my point isn't to just tell people it's all doomed. It's to get them fucking talking about the risk with people they know.  Because ultimately what will make Trump judges back down is the fear of what will happen to them if they don't, and making sure they feel that fear requires that shitloads of people start talking about this and it gets covered in the media.  

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 1

Those of you who don't think there's any serious danger posed by the GOP's plans to contest the election because they failed last time don't actually remember what happened last time. Last time, Trump simply assumed that because Republican officials were involved in administering elections in swing states, they would rig the election for him. They had no legal strategy to speak of and had to scramble with Rudy and Sidney Powell and Lin Wood to try to come up with some shit they could throw at the wall after-the-fact. That is not what will happen this time
This time, they're much better prepared and have quite literally replaced all of those people who didn't rig the election for Trump last time with people they trust to do so this time. That doesn't mean they can definitely rig it (see Js1's post noting the differences between 2020 and 2024), but the legal arguments they will make will have a much greater appearance of legitimacy and may give Trump judges enough pretext to fuck with the election and try to prevent the timely certification of the correct electors and throw it to the House. It's very much within the realm of possibility that they could fabricate enough smoke for this SCOTUS to issue an order enjoining the governors of say, Arizona and Pennsylvania from submitting electors.  Just because SCOTUS refused to accept the harebrained insanity that was filed late and often in the wrong fucking courts by Trump's dipshit crew last time doesn't mean they won't try to steal the election when they think they have a more acceptable pretext for doing so. And their recent behavior makes it clear that they're more desperate to install a permanent Republican dictator now than they were in 2020, so if anything their bar for what is an acceptable pretext is likely lower this year than it was in 2020.
Dems need to not just sit around and wait for this to happen. They need to go on the offensive, both in terms of a public PR campaign making clear what the GOP intends to do and in terms of FBI investigations. Because an election official refusing to certify an election without a valid basis for doing so is almost certainly a federal crime and it needs to be made very fucking clear that anyone who does not faithfully carry out their duties will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  And Democratic elected officials at the state and federal level need to speak out in a unified voice that SCOTUS doesn't have the last or only say on this.

So much this. Get ready for the monkey wrench of all monkey wrenches to be thrown into the gears. Stall. Harass. Delay. Recount. Court. Whatever it takes.

Don’t be stupid. Be ready.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

They really sent him on Fox news with the talking points of Kamala being a ding dong and a California democrat from the loon part of the democratic party? That's the talking points? 

Don't forget the "they want abortions up to the minute of conception" trope. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Come on, the question was obvious, "I'm not familiar with the dingdong poll, can you direct me to the subpolling that asked whether voters considered her a dingdong?"

If the polling was calling her a dingbat, we would at least know who they were polling.

image.jpeg.80f099679dcb18217c644fefb7178d9a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

Don't forget the "they want abortions up to the minute of conception" trope. 

I know the answer, but does it even make fucking sense for a woman to go through 9  months of pregnancy, the morning sickness and other maladies, putting together a nursery, probably choosing a name, all that just to get to the point the healthy baby is about to be born to say, you know what, I’m just not vibing with this. Go ahead and abort it.

Does that make any fucking sense at all?

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I know the answer, but does it even make fucking sense for a woman to go through 9  months of pregnancy, the morning sickness and other maladies, putting together a nursery, probably choosing a name, all that just to get to the point the healthy baby is about to be born to say, you know what, I’m just not vibing with this. Go ahead and abort it.

Does that make any fucking sense at all?

It’s called a Caesarean 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

They didn't have incumbency in 2000 either.

It's not really an apt comparison and there was evidence to support "both" results and the supreme court intervened and it was a shitty decision related to the recount. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida Gore also lost the original vote and the recount was to try to win because the margin was so small. Look I get it it should have gone to a full recount and yadda yadda, but this isn't the same thing as what you are saying, it's not even really the same sport. 

If we are 271 EV to 267 then yeah it's gonna be pretty fucky. 

2020 was 306 to 232.

7 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

. Every single one of them has to be 18 to get into the apprenticeship program.

that is the whole point.

IMPO there is a group of people who would be better served getting on with their lives and careers in their late teens.  2 years of idleness for later teens is prime time to get set on the wrong path.

Just now, immamac said:

It's not really an apt comparison and there was evidence to support "both" results and the supreme court intervened and it was a shitty decision related to the recount. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida Gore also lost the original vote and the recount was to try to win because the margin was so small. Look I get it it should have gone to a full recount and yadda yadda, but this isn't the same thing as what you are saying, it's not even really the same sport

If we are 271 EV to 267 then yeah it's gonna be pretty fucky. 

2020 was 306 to 232.

It's exactly the same sport: SCOTUS calvinball.  The Dems need to make sure this SCOTUS understands that the American people won't let them get away with it again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I realize in your world nothing of value is created without sniffing the farts of fellow French Lit degree holders.

You would be surprised how many people make a good living actually getting their hands dirty. 

What does that have to do with having age restrictions for potentially dangerous work? And yes, any large hydraulic press is potentially very dangerous. Not letting children operate those things isn't a bad thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

It's exactly the same sport: SCOTUS calvinball.  The Dems need to make sure this SCOTUS understands that the American people won't let them get away with it again.  

dude, come on. 

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_1403.jpeg

Almost as good as the Indians for Harris that came up with

In Hindi, Kamala means LOTUS

In the U.S., Kamala means POTUS

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

If you think the current far right wing justices give a fuck …

Comedy Central Lol GIF

hell, I’ll even guess Thomas is giving the maga army of lawyers tips on how to word all their pre election lawsuits 

And it's remarkable how effective "stop being so weird" is as a rebuttal to almost any of their dumb ideas.  There's no legitimate counter that doesn't make them sound insanely defensive.  It's genius.

I expect them to counter with the always effective “I’m rubber you’re glue” defense.
  • Hook 'Em 1

that is the whole point.
IMPO there is a group of people who would be better served getting on with their lives and careers in their late teens.  2 years of idleness for later teens is prime time to get set on the wrong path.

Won’t someone other than incredulity think of the children!?! Woe is me!
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

that is the whole point.

So that whole "stay in school" mantra never really resonated with you, huh? Also, you do realize that tech schools usually offer programs to high schoolers to learn trades, including relatively dangerous trades, in an age appropriate environment, right? There's been a pretty broad movement to do away with the "tech" or "trade" school stigma for kids who want to go that direction in high school. At my high school the trade programs were in a hallway with red flooring and being "sent" to the "red hall" was considered derogatory. I'm pretty sure that doesn't really fly anymore. There are also lots of jobs that high schoolers can do for part time cash. You seem to be on a really bizarre soapbox today. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

So our first dedicated right winger to crawl out of the woodwork, jumps into this thread to champion…*checks notes*…teenagers working dangerous jobs.  

Allowing child labor is actually on of the few republican policy points that doesn't involve controlling women, being racist, or giving more money to big business + rich people, so it is pretty near and dear to their hearts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

sure thing, Pierre.

How many children do you believe this regulation actually negatively affects? Is it seriously your position that we should be encouraging children to drop out of high school to operate hydraulic presses? What the fuck is wrong with you? 

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

that is the whole point.

while i was just messing with you above and i don't disagree that getting people into a vocational training system to start their trade careers is a good idea, i think you are doing that thing here where you interpret the regulation through the lens of right wing twisting/amplification of a misinterpretation of the black letter of the regulation itself...conveying it as something more oppressive than it actually is. when giving it a plain read, i think you will find it doesn't lack sensibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What does that have to do with having age restrictions for potentially dangerous work? And yes, any large hydraulic press is potentially very dangerous. Not letting children operate those things isn't a bad thing. 

well lookee here at Mr. Fancy Pants french lit

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

How many children do you believe this regulation actually negatively affects? Is it seriously your position that we should be encouraging children to drop out of high school to operate hydraulic presses? What the fuck is wrong with you? 

Um, he’s weird

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

while i was just messing with you above and i don't disagree that getting people into a vocational training system to start their trade careers is a good idea, i think you are doing that thing here where you interpret the regulation through the lens of right wing twisting/amplification of a misinterpretation of the black letter of the regulation itself...conveying it as something more oppressive than it actually is. when giving it a plain read, i think you will find it doesn't lack sensibility.

No, I am looking at it from personal experience where I have seen plenty of kids who are done(figuratively) with high school about the time they can drive but are restricted on pursuing certain career paths due to age. I don’t agree that hydraulic presses are to dangerous for late teens, that’s absurdly infantilizing. Some of them stick around school and make life miserable for kids actually trying to learn. Yup anecdotes to be certain.

• Like 1

It's not infantilizing to point out that teens prefrontal cortexes aren't fully developed to the point they should be allowed to use life threatening devices.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

No, I am looking at it from personal experience where I have seen plenty of kids who are done(figuratively) with high school about the time they can drive but are restricted on pursuing certain career paths due to age. I don’t agree that hydraulic presses are to dangerous for late teens, that’s absurdly infantilizing. Some of them stick around school and make life miserable for kids actually trying to learn. Yup anecdotes to be certain.

???? They are dangerous to ANYONE, not just teens. See below. Also, I love how you're shifting to "late teens" when the regulation you're complaining about only affects "mid teens" (i.e., 16-17). No one is saying you can't have age appropriate learning opportunities for different trades. The regulation just says that some jobs within those trades can't be performed by children. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/popular-engineer-crushed-death-under-26808019

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/investigations/face/facts/docs/baling.pdf

https://nebraskaexaminer.com/briefs/grand-island-employer-penalized-after-worker-gets-stuck-in-industrial-baler-and-later-dies/

https://feldmanshepherd.com/results/7-9-million-recovery-for-arm-crush-injuries-caused-by-cardboard-box-baling-machine/

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5016a2.htm

https://moovmor.com/baler/why-safety-matters-when-baling-cardboard/

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CCDPHP/DEODC/OHB/FACE/CDPH Document Library/09CA005.pdf

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3