2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

38 minutes ago, sidis said:

and also, as our resident francophile, i am sick of french lit being the go-to replacement of lesbian underwater basket weaving for addlepates that want to devalue and diminish the value of a well-rounded society and humanities in education.

why my boys stendhal, balzac, proust, zola, flaubert, camus, hugo, dumas, and gide have to always get dragged into this shit...i will never understand.

if we are being honest though, it would be a better threadjack than burgers in the urban meyer thread or the cheese puns in the cesspool that is the recruiting forum.

Goddamn I love this place.  I can't decide if "addlepate", "proust" or "urban meyer" is my favorite part of this post.  #slowclap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

33 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'd whip this motherfuckers ass from one end of a room to the other until he begged for mercy.  I'll be on the call. 

Careful,  Immasnitch has LE monitoring things around here. 

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Looks like the wingtards are gonna try a new angle. "It's gay to call people weird." Guys, is it gay to call people weird?

image.png.cf4229fa3f00ad3f207d66bbcb207701.png

Ah yes, males have never been know to call others nerds, losers, weird, or freaks, and there certainly isn't a common high school trope of that happening. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Looks like the wingtards are gonna try a new angle. "It's gay to call people weird." Guys, is it gay to call people weird?

Her fivehead is certainly weird.

image.png.f7c86cdf50f47b7c1a072be0c42983fd.png

• Haha 6
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They do not like being called weird one little bit.

Wellll, I have ten letter and twelve letter words that work a lot better, care to see them?

52 minutes ago, sidis said:

and also, as our resident francophile, i am sick of french lit being the go-to replacement of lesbian underwater basket weaving for addlepates that want to devalue and diminish the value of a well-rounded society and humanities in education.

why my boys stendhal, balzac, proust, zola, flaubert, camus, hugo, dumas, and gide have to always get dragged into this shit...i will never understand.

if we are being honest though, it would be a better threadjack than burgers in the urban meyer thread or the cheese puns in the cesspool that is the recruiting forum.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Iran "undermining" Trump's campaign?

2126888881_9a104bf571.jpg

https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/iran-is-working-to-undercut-trump-in-presidential-election-u-s-spy-agencies-say-7f67fad7

WASHINGTON—Iran is seeking to harm Donald Trump’s presidential campaign in covert online influence operations, fearing a return to power by the Republican nominee would inflame relations with Washington, U.S. intelligence officials said Monday.

U.S. spy agencies have “observed Tehran working to influence the presidential election, probably because Iranian leaders want to avoid” increased tensions with the U.S., an official with the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said during a press briefing. 

The assessment of Iran’s election preferences marked a shift from a view shared by American intelligence agencies just a few weeks ago, when they said that Tehran was chiefly focused on acting as a “chaos agent” in the election. 

The officials didn’t assert directly that Tehran was seeking to undermine Trump, but said that its current operations aligned with its goals before the 2020 election, when it sought to harm Trump’s candidacy. “We haven’t observed a shift in Iran’s preferences” since 2020, the intelligence official said.

“Iran does not engage in any objectives or activities intended to influence the U.S. election,” a spokesman for the Iranian mission to the United Nations in New York said in a statement. The spokesman added that the accusations are “psychological operations designed to artificially pep up election campaigns.”

Iran remains primarily focused on fueling distrust in U.S. political institutions and increasing social discord, officials said, especially over the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza.

Tehran is using “vast webs of online personas and propaganda mills to spread disinformation,” but is also engaging in surreptitious online campaigns reflecting a preference for who wins in November, the official said.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei PHOTO: SOBHAN FARAJVAN/ZUMA PRESS

U.S. intelligence officials have held two briefings with reporters this month on foreign attempts to influence the November elections. They reiterated Monday that Russia remained the pre-eminent threat to the election and was most sophisticated in its influence operations.

In the previous briefing on election threats on July 9, officials said the Russian government is engaged in a “whole-of-government” effort to influence the U.S. presidential election and that it favored Trump, paralleling its preferences in the 2016 and 2020 campaigns. 

Moscow’s preferences haven’t changed since President Biden dropped out of the race earlier this month, officials said Monday, adding that Russian President Vladimir Putin’s top goal remained opposing candidates he believed would more likely pursue additional military aid for Ukraine.

Vice President Kamala Harris’s emergence as the presumptive Democratic nominee hadn’t appeared to change Iran or Russia’s calculus about the election, officials said.

Iran’s influence activities included attempts to directly engage Americans, officials said. Some of the covert activity was likely directed by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, a U.S.-designated terrorist organization that operates under Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. 

A statement earlier this month from Avril Haines, the director of national intelligence, said Iran’s activities around the Gaza protests included “posing as activists online, seeking to encourage protests, and even providing financial support to protesters.”

An intelligence report declassified in March 2021 found that Iran tried spear-phishing attempts on government and campaign officials and sent threatening emails to Democratic voters that falsely appeared to be sent by the far-right Proud Boys group. The attempts relied on inexpensive, scalable methods that didn’t require physical access to the U.S., the report found.

During his term in office, former President Trump ratcheted up tensions with Tehran. He withdrew from an international agreement intended to curtail Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief. The administration also killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the Revolutionary Guard’s foreign paramilitary force, in a January 2020 drone strike.

The Biden administration in recent weeks determined there was an increased threat from Iran against Trump that was serious enough to prompt additional security measures for the former president, The Wall Street Journal previously reported. The threat had no apparent connection to this month’s attempted assassination of the former president in Pennsylvania by a gunman identified as Thomas Matthew Crooks, U.S. officials said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Askew said:

or giving more money to big business + rich people,

It most certainly does give more money to the rich. You pay a kid $8 per hour instead of something higher to an adult and who pockets the difference?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Under your plan a high school dropout would be able to stamp bumpers with no health care or retirement benefits for maybe $12 an hour

Thats not at all what I am saying.  I’d like to get more people into those programs and resultant jobs/benefits/opportunities.  

16 year olds can drive a 4000lb truck 85mph down the freeway, but can’t be trusted to operate a bailer.  That really checks out.

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I work with 20,000+ union members in about 10 different trades. None of them are afraid to get their hands dirty. Every single one of them has to be 18 to get into the apprenticeship program. They would have no interest in hiring kids younger than that. 

Good news, because republicans don’t want kids joining any unions. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, sidis said:

Je t'assure que t'es pas seul -- il y en a au moins un autre de nous sur ce bourdelle de site. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Don't forget the "they want abortions up to the minute of conception" trope. 

I prefer my abortions before conception

35 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Translation: he was told he didn’t make the short list. 

Other translation: you can do way more good running for senate in 2026, thanks 

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

No L'Étranger? You must be a Quebecois hick pretending to be French.

Philosophy section.

(also, bonus points for being a first edition in original French)

IMG_7182.thumb.jpeg.1a98c48fc11a7cdfddf11b69f8c668d8.jpeg

IMG_7181.thumb.jpeg.ae80e615afeddeb3401fd1f015ed45ed.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chopper said:

They REALLY hate women and feminism. It’s almost fascist, in a way 🤔 

• Hook 'Em 2