2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m fine with this. Honestly the biggest mistake Democrats made in the 2000’s was alienating rural Democrats by requiring them to memorize and recite a urban coastal catechism preoccupied with coastal, big-city issues rather than focusing on representing their communities.

This.  Wanting a better future and better opportunities for yourself and your kids is 100% a viable foundation to connect with rural Americans on.  Even things like guns -- back before the full-on NRA nutbattery, you'd even have gotten agreement from most rurals on common-sense gun laws and such.  Shit, listen to Walz (governor of a state with a lot of guns and rural folks), who is a gun-owner, hunter, and veteran...and a Dem.  He can connect there.  It's one of many reasons I want him as the VP pick.

As I've informed many a strutting, GQP'er talking about 2nd amendment this and that, and how they're ready to fight.....their arrogant miscalculation is the assumption that Dems in Texas aren't armed and don't know how to shoot.  No, we just don't fetishize our weapons and define ourselves by Punisher bumper stickers and tactical underpants and such.  But rest assured that we have plenty of weapons, plenty of ammo, and we know how to use them all very, very well.  By the same token, most of us would be happy to see tighter gun regulations to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them, limit mag size, stuff like that.  The national Dem party would be wise to make sure that folks like us have a legit place at the table.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

Please don't reference fucking Reddit when having discussions regarding anything that takes the slightest modicum of social intelligence btw. Those maladjusted losers make the Vance's of the world look positively normal as fuck.

Counterpoint: there's lotsa boobs on Reddit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well, they are mutually exclusive .

No, they're not, is the thing. My last sentence is explaining that any complex human mind is capable of holding multiple, conflicting emotions at the same time.

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Please don't reference fucking Reddit when having discussions regarding anything that takes the slightest modicum of social intelligence btw. Those maladjusted losers make the Vance's of the world look positively normal as fuck.

You're mighty defensive. I could have just as easily said Twitter/ X. The only point in referencing Reddit was that it's a large community that offers anonymity to whatever degree people want it (because they feel incapable of talking about these emotions/ thoughts otherwise). I thought that point was obvious, but I guess not. 

Edited by LTbear

I think we should start a conspiracy theory that JD Vance is still a never-Trumper and this is all just a deep state plot to derail a second Trump presidency.  Trumpsters and Trump have believed dumber shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

damn, i'd hoped to log in this morning to see that my injection of the french lit threadjack would have caught a jd vance fucks couches wave and that people would be threatening each others' livelihoods over whether or not samuel beckett should be considered under the umbrella but alas, a discussion over the meaningfulness and validation of people's life choices/circumstances vis-a-vis having offspring and whether that choice/circumstance makes life more or less valuable will always win out.

wait, has anyone here ever read "les enfants terribles" by cocteau or "chéri" by colette?

Edited by sidis
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, LTbear said:

No, they're not, is the thing. My last sentence is explaining that any complex human mind is capable of holding multiple, conflicting emotions at the same time.

"Do I contradict myself?  Very well then, I contradict myself.  I am large and contain multitudes."  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

I think we should start a conspiracy theory that JD Vance is still a never-Trumper and this is all just a deep state plot to derail a second Trump presidency.  Trumpsters and Trump have believed dumber shit.  

That's good.  They'll easily take that bait.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Pedophile Trump ….

Thanks for posting this. I started it then thought it might be too long. I skipped to about minute 10 and couldn't stop watching it. I expected to feel rage, but instead feel profoundly sad and sympathetic. Don't get me wrong, the perpetrators belong under the jail or at a whipping post and I could order either in cold blood.

I can't have cold blood thinking about the bullying depravity of procuring girls (the victim says maybe one of the girls at these orgies was 16 and most were under 15) for the rich to excercise their predatory prerogatives. It's sad what men are capable of. I'm saddened by how thin the veneer of civilization usually is. Women are schooled in this on a regular basis. Preying on the physically weaker is the antithesis of being civilzed.

Of course, the sympathy is for the woman on camera requires little explanation. She's articulate even though, apparently, her education stopped early due to this trauma. She is not histrionic which I admire. She seems to be a woman of beauty. Any enjoyment of those traits is attenuated by ongoing terror of Trump and the shameless, heartless damage done to her done as a girl of 13. She was already afraid of Trump who turned a fantasy rape agreement into the real thing. Now she fears retribution. Even so, she came forth to warn her country. I believe every word I heard from her.

At this moment, it's more sad than outrageous that tens of millions of Americans basically worship the rapist even in the knowledge that all of this evidence exists. We Americans are not the people we like to think that we are. Right now, I feel like the good cop who won't be moved to do more to stop the bad cop. I wish I could have magically appeared at the moment Trump crosses the line. But heroism or just action is never so simple.

• Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Dear Democrats: Many Americans (myself included) will be voting Democrat for the first time in our lives this November. We’re not doing this because we agree with Democrats on policy; we’re doing it because we understand the need to stop Trump from destroying our Constitution. If you see us non-Democrat Kamala supporters on Twitter espousing beliefs you disagree with, like on taxes or guns or whatever, try to let it go. Don’t be jerks. Don’t disparage and argue, expecting us to toe the Democrat line, because we won’t. We’re not Democrats. Being hostile to us will backfire and endanger our alliance. We’ve made common cause with you in this election because our democracy faces an existential threat. We agree Trump is dangerous and we want to work with you to defeat him. Let’s be grateful for this mutual cooperation. We can go back to arguing and being opponents after November. Until then, we have a country to save.

27 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m fine with this. Honestly the biggest mistake Democrats made in the 2000’s was alienating rural Democrats by requiring them to memorize and recite a urban coastal catechism preoccupied with coastal, big-city issues rather than focusing on representing their communities.

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes it's fine, but it avoids the reality that decades of the policies they think are good is what led their party to where it is now. Announcing that it took the glaring and unrepentant shittiness of Donald Trump AFTER his time in office to realize that the Republican Party didn't actually stand for true conservative (i.e., classic liberalism) ideals isn't nearly as worthy of the self-congratulatory tweet as he thinks it is. 

I mean sure, if they're talking to democrat politicians, they will be what they mostly are, attacking the republican candidates, and to some extent, the extremist wing of their cult followers. If they're talking to xhitter and reddit users, good luck, lol, if they offend you and you go back to trump, you never cared about the constitution anyway. And this block is so small that I don't really see it registering in any meaningful way in the polls. 

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I hear you and definitely understand the sentiment. I just don’t fully agree with you. If churches want to mix religion and politics they can pay taxes. With more than 13k members and a campus larger than the Moody Center, your sister’s church has plenty of cash to pay property taxes.

Churches should be fucking taxed, period. You want to send every dollar out the door to the poor and charitable works and deduct that, have at it. You want to build a fucking starbucks and sports complex on your grounds? Pay your fucking taxes. 

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

systematic changes are wonderful the day after the election

They've got to happen sometime. Call it IRS reform, go after the billionaires who don't pay taxes, and then look at reform for chruches. IT's pretty easy to start, look up all their public statements and social media videos, and tell them if they see any indication of that again, in a sermon, or on a billboard or twitter account, they're losing their fucking tax exemption. 1 strike. 

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

This is a terrible idea. It might work, and then they actually dump Vance. Is that what you want?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 27-25 said:

"Christians don't vote?"  WTF?

With some quick research, we find that roughly 67% of American adults are Christians.  Approximately 78% of Americans are "adults" (over 18).  That implies ~ 260M American adults.  If the Christians all avoided voting, that would leave 87M voters, and yet some 155M Americans voted in 2020.  This would seem to be a pretty good argument that many Christians do indeed vote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Sorry but Blacks are tired of listening to what trunp and the radical right keep saying about Black people. It’s demeaning, anti American, and we’re tired of always having to be the nice ones when we’re being attacked. 

Calling us DEI hires? Yeah I’m fine with a Black preacher fighting back in this case.

By doing so, they think they're being either very polite or very clever. 

DEI so much better than the N-word! We care!

Hee hee, it's such a subtle way to subliminally remind people of Kamala's race!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As I've informed many a strutting, GQP'er talking about 2nd amendment this and that, and how they're ready to fight.....their arrogant miscalculation is the assumption that Dems in Texas aren't armed and don't know how to shoot.  No, we just don't fetishize our weapons and define ourselves by Punisher bumper stickers and tactical underpants and such.  But rest assured that we have plenty of weapons, plenty of ammo, and we know how to use them all very, very well.  By the same token, most of us would be happy to see tighter gun regulations to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them, limit mag size, stuff like that.  The national Dem party would be wise to make sure that folks like us have a legit place at the table.

Exactly.

Do I think magazines with a capacity of more than 20 or so should be controlled? Yep!
Do I own 50 round magazines and a large number of green tips to fill them with? You bet your ass. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, sidis said:

damn, i'd hoped to log in this morning to see that my injection of the french lit threadjack would have caught a jd vance fucks couches wave and that people would be threatening each others' livelihoods over whether or not samuel beckett should be considered under the umbrella but alas, a discussion over the meaningfulness and validation of people's life choices/circumstances vis-a-vis having offspring and whether that choice/circumstance makes life more or less valuable will always win out.

wait, has anyone here ever read "les enfants terribles" by cocteau or "chéri" by colette?

image.jpeg.9de0e9f8ca98c61fb7975f0490b04082.jpeg

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, LTbear said:

My last sentence is explaining that any complex human mind is capable of holding multiple, conflicting emotions at the same time.

I know, that's what I am saying. You and the people who's experience you are relating are not using correct nomenclature is the point. It's an extremely important thing to be clear about, precision in language is critical. This isn't a "listen to what I mean, not what I say" situation.

If the R's tried to replace JD Palin on the ballot once Harris's nomination is confirmed by the Convention, they'd fail. Unless he dies or is incapacitated. They're stuck with that weird, loony fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I know, that's what I am saying. You and the people who's experience you are relating are not using correct nomenclature is the point. It's an extremely important thing to be clear about, precision in language is critical. This isn't a "listen to what I mean, not what I say" situation.

No, I am being completely precise and clear. People can feel multiple, conflicting emotions at once. You seem incapable of understanding that. That's not the experience of 99.9% of humanity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, sidis said:

I think Beckett qualifies. I haven't read any Cocteau or Colette that I recall -- though I know the names, but it's been 30 years. One that still sticks with me, however, is Rhinocéros by Ionesco.

Edit: I take back the Cocteau remark -- we read La Machine Infernale.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, locodos said:

My father didn't grow up in the Sticks per se...  but in high school he and a few of his friends drove the school buses.  He said that lasted for several years till the school figured out that the kids had removed the governors.

That had to be a great time...  but wtf were they thinking?

My dad grew up in Refugio county and his family owned the funeral home there. Due to WWII he was pressed into service as the ambulance driver at age 12 accompanied by his 9 year old younger brother. 

This was not an ambulance in the modern sense.  They would drive to auto fatalities and take care of collecting the deceased and other less gruesome duties.

Dad didn't elaborate much on the blood and guts, but I was forbidden from having a motorcycle due to the decapitations he saw when the motorcyclists encountered the barbed wire fences down there.

Pretty salty work for a 12 year old.

Also, as a side note, one of their favorite things to do in the summer was to sneak into the oil drilling sites and swim in the discharge pits.

Dad was almost 90 when he died last summer...and not from cancer. Go figure.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Just now, LTbear said:

No, I am being completely precise and clear. People can feel multiple, conflicting emotions at once. You seem incapable of understanding that. That's not the experience of 99.9% of humanity. 

I mean, never mind man. You are willfully misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I specifically mentioned several post ago this is always devolves into strawman, and here we are, because I am not saying anything different than what you just wrote.

43 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think some (not all) of this is a consequence of gerrymandering. Take the old Tx31 for example. That district went from the North Austin WilCo neighborhoods all the way up to Ft Hood and parts of Milam county. The Democratic part of that district was heavily weighted to N Austin, CP, and Round Rock, so in a D primary "Jim" the Pediatrician or Lawyer or whatever from Bertram would get trounced by "Mary" the tech worker from Cedar Park...even though "Jim" had a better message to appeal to the rest of the district. I saw it happen time and time again.

Now, I guess you could put some of that on the TDP for not suggesting to Mary she would get more party support  if she ran for a county commissioners court seat or school board or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, G650 said:

I mean, never mind man. You are willfully misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I specifically mentioned several post ago this is always devolves into strawman, and here we are, because I am not saying anything different than what you just wrote.

You have been literally misinterpreting and misrepresenting my point since the beginning, so now you're throwing up your hands when you begin to realize you're wrong. That's fine by me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

If the R's tried to replace JD Palin on the ballot once Harris's nomination is confirmed by the Convention, they'd fail. Unless he dies or is incapacitated. They're stuck with that weird, loony fuck.

yeah, they can't.  you can't ever say the other side just made a good point point.  that's what a switch would be.  i 1000% energy killer.

VP pick should be this week and he and Kamala will tour next week.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/harris-her-vp-pick-will-tour-battleground-states-next-week-sources-2024-07-30/

Harris will announce her vice presidential pick before next week's tour of states that could swing to Republicans or Democrats in November, one of the sources said.

The short list of candidates under consideration include Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, U.S. Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz and Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Here. Let me just put it another way: there are quite a few parents in this world who view and experience things differently than you do. I don't really care to continue this argument though. I never intended to ruffle anyone up that much and I am not (just so we're clear) saying anything against being a parent or trying to insult parents, having kids, etc. 

Edited by LTbear

Just now, LTbear said:

Here. Let me just put it another way: there are quite a few parents in this world who view and experience things differently than you do. 

Man, I'm not remotely trying to pick a fight with you. I 100% agree with this statement and have never argued otherwise. Can we get back to calling Vance weird.

• Hook 'Em 2

so...who here is quickly reminded of another eugène ionesco play "la cantatrice chauve" when reading this back and forth between ltbear and g650??

(last one i promise)

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Just now, G650 said:

Man, I'm not remotely trying to pick a fight with you. I 100% agree with this statement and have never argued otherwise. Can we get back to calling Vance weird.

100%. I edited that post to say pretty much the same. 

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I think some (not all) of this is a consequence of gerrymandering. Take the old Tx31 for example. That district went from the North Austin WilCo neighborhoods all the way up to Ft Hood and parts of Milam county. The Democratic part of that district was heavily weighted to N Austin, CP, and Round Rock, so in a D primary "Jim" the Pediatrician or Lawyer or whatever from Bertram would get trounced by "Mary" the tech worker from Cedar Park...even though "Jim" had a better message to appeal to the rest of the district. I saw it happen time and time again.

Now, I guess you could put some of that on the TDP for not suggesting to Mary she would get more party support  if she ran for a county commissioners court seat or school board or something. 

You're right, and I do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

so...who here is quickly reminded of another eugène ionesco's play "la cantatrice chauve" when reading this back and forth between ltbear and g650??

(last one i promise)

Au contraire, mon frere. La Comédie humaine clearly.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, sidis said:

Is this where Brisket talks about how much he digs the French, especially French women?  Because I really would enjoy that threadjack tangent.....

Not a fan of preaching politics from the pulpit. We criticize it when guys like Jeffress and Young do it so we should hold the other side to the same standard. Keep politics out of religion and keep religion out of politics.

Can I get an Amen?!?
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Vance looks and sounds like a vice presidential candidate of some political party started on line from somebody's basement.

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

preach. i've said it here before... having children is a special experience for the parent. but there's nothing exceptional about it... it's literally been done billions and billions of times. congratulations. 😐

Hear hear. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes it's fine, but it avoids the reality that decades of the policies they think are good is what led their party to where it is now. Announcing that it took the glaring and unrepentant shittiness of Donald Trump AFTER his time in office to realize that the Republican Party didn't actually stand for true conservative (i.e., classic liberalism) ideals isn't nearly as worthy of the self-congratulatory tweet as he thinks it is. 

I disagree.

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This thread isn't the place to debate it, but I strongly disagree that normie Republican policy orthodoxy on taxes and guns (insofar as I find the former ridiculous and the latter hypocritical and amoral in the extreme) is what brought their party to this point. What led their party to this point is decades of pandering to people they used to reject in order to acquire and consolidate power, and a shocking lack of personal integrity among elected Republicans once they did. 

I agree, but I would add that they stopped running on policy during the Reagan years. Their policies were shit when it came to controlling spending and reducing the size of government. They started running purely on hate for the illusory liberals determined to destroy Holy America. It was surely part pandering, but the emotion that drove the votes was hate. The gun thing fits in with the hate fear that you won't be able to protect yourself from the lib government that will move against you.

Their policies for what they say they stand for never work. They run on hate, and, when elected, claim they were elected for love of policies that serve only the rich and their own will to power. Their voters never caught on about the poicy and were addicted to the hate anyway.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Is this where Brisket talks about how much he digs the French, especially French women?  Because I really would enjoy that threadjack tangent.....

You're one horny motherfucker these days, my friend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Dear Democrats: Many Americans (myself included) will be voting Democrat for the first time in our lives this November. We’re not doing this because we agree with Democrats on policy; we’re doing it because we understand the need to stop Trump from destroying our Constitution. If you see us non-Democrat Kamala supporters on Twitter espousing beliefs you disagree with, like on taxes or guns or whatever, try to let it go. Don’t be jerks. Don’t disparage and argue, expecting us to toe the Democrat line, because we won’t. We’re not Democrats. Being hostile to us will backfire and endanger our alliance. We’ve made common cause with you in this election because our democracy faces an existential threat. We agree Trump is dangerous and we want to work with you to defeat him. Let’s be grateful for this mutual cooperation. We can go back to arguing and being opponents after November. Until then, we have a country to save.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

I’m pretty sure there are a whole bunch of people who have finally and maybe reluctantly come to the conclusion that Trump is a jackass and is not good for the county but still deep down believe that the “liberal left agenda” is not good for the country either. Seems to me these people are the key to the election. They are there for taking if she comes out and leans moderate vs just trying to lean harder left.

I’ve never understood why the parties seem to decided leaning harder to the extremes is the way to go. Maga certainly sees it that way - see project 2025 or whatever it’s called.

The hardcores are going to vote Trump or Harris no matter what. The first group that figures there are a bunch of people in the middle and how to speak to them wins in a big way imo. I hope it’s her.
  • Hook 'Em 4