2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Trump has to be fucking livid right now. I imagine him trying to frantically reach Putin to whine about giving Joe and Kamala a resounding victory, while Putin ignores the call and laughs as he rips a line with his hitman he just got back. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trump doesn't like dogs. One of his go to curses for people he doesn't like is to call them a dog.

This author says he hates them.

Trump observed that Republican senator Marco Rubio was “sweating like a dog” at a 2016 debate. He compared former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman to a dog when she published her book Unhinged: An Insider’s Account Of The Trump White House. Trump noted that Republican nominee Mitt Romney “choked like a dog” against Obama in the 2012 election. At various times, NBC’s David Gregory, Fox News’ Glenn Beck and Ted Cruz’s communications directors were all, Trump leered, “fired like a dog”.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/politics/article/donald-trump-dogs#:~:text=“Donald was not a dog,understood Trump's hostility to dogs.

Of course he had something to say about Noem shooting her dog.

“Couple of rough stories, there’s no question about it,” the former president said. “Until this week, she was doing incredibly well. And she got hit hard and sometimes you do books and you have some guy writing a book and you maybe don’t read it as carefully, you know. You have ghost writers do it, they help you, and they, in this case, didn’t help too much.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/14/politics/kristi-noem-trump-dog-killing/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

It's a take. 

It fails to address that Trump only lost in 2020 by 40,000 votes.

It's true that most Americans don't like the policies w/out the show. I'll give you that.

But a considerable amount of people do like the clown show. 

His celebrity, 'wealth', vitriol, racism, xenophobia, grievance, and victimhood speak to a considerable swath of the American electorate.

Packaged in any other way it doesn't really work.

But slap some wierd hair and orange bronzer on it and people eat it up.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, chainsaw said:

She can win Florida and compete in Texas if the Democratic base turnout is high. The honeymoon period will end by the convention. A substantial part of the base will regress to apathy if the policies and messaging are right-wing. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but that doesn't make it false.

Win in Florida?!   Have you seen the schedule!

I get it, you don't know much about Florida, especially if you think the Dems can win here, never mind without kissing Israel's ring (and not the one on their finger)

Tin Foil hat time: 

Spoiler

I suspect Putin kicked off the attach in Israel (via Hamas/Iran) precisely to drive a wedge into the Democrats/US politics, putting his Orange Idiot back in the white house.  It threatens arms and support for Ukraine, puts stress on western munitions supplies, and causes discord in the Democratic party over support for Israel.    So don't be Putin's little bitch about this, MMMK?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol just heard my MAGA landlord (I know I know but I’d pay rent to Hitler for $1900/mo dog allowed in Maui post fire) getting out of the car bitching to his wife about Kamala claiming Indian on her college scholarship applications. like that makes any fucking sense. They scared. 

That’s so dumb. Her father was a professor at Stanford. She likely could have gotten admittance (and reduced tuition!) to one of the best universities based on that alone, but chose to go to an HBCU! 

Just now, South Austin said:

She better love it, because an illegal from Guatemala is about to take it.

Holding auditions on top of the border wall. Need to leave some poles on the southern side to let our new 2028 pole vaulters get some practice 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Hell, Trump pressured the Afghan government to release 5,000 Taliban prisoners as an incentive to get the Taliban to the negotiating table. (Negotiations to which the Afghan government itself wasn’t invited.) Trump will claim he didn’t release the prisoners, the Taliban did. But that’s a distinction with no difference. He made them do it. And a bunch of jihadists returned to the battlefield.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

56 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Meanwhile.

Translation: he reached out to the Trump campaign to get paid in some capacity or otherwise get in on the grift, and they told him to go get his shine box. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Trump doesn't like dogs. One of his go to curses for people he doesn't like is to call them a dog.

This author says he hates them.

Trump observed that Republican senator Marco Rubio was “sweating like a dog” at a 2016 debate. He compared former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman to a dog when she published her book Unhinged: An Insider’s Account Of The Trump White House. Trump noted that Republican nominee Mitt Romney “choked like a dog” against Obama in the 2012 election. At various times, NBC’s David Gregory, Fox News’ Glenn Beck and Ted Cruz’s communications directors were all, Trump leered, “fired like a dog”.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/politics/article/donald-trump-dogs#:~:text=“Donald was not a dog,understood Trump's hostility to dogs.

Of course he had something to say about Noem shooting her dog.

“Couple of rough stories, there’s no question about it,” the former president said. “Until this week, she was doing incredibly well. And she got hit hard and sometimes you do books and you have some guy writing a book and you maybe don’t read it as carefully, you know. You have ghost writers do it, they help you, and they, in this case, didn’t help too much.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/14/politics/kristi-noem-trump-dog-killing/index.html

This should tell people all they need to know.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Trump has to be fucking livid right now. I imagine him trying to frantically reach Putin to whine about giving Joe and Kamala a resounding victory, while Putin ignores the call and laughs as he rips a line with his hitman he just got back. 

Yeah, yeah your family is around here somewhere.  We just need this photo op 1st.

Edited by WBT
  • Fuck You 7

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/02/trump-nabj-fact-checking-black-journalists

Moments before former President Trump took the stage at the National Association of Black Journalists annual convention in Chicago on Wednesday, the organization's president was called back to address an issue.

Why it matters: Trump did not want to be fact-checked live and was refusing to go on stage, NABJ president Ken Lemon told Axios.

"[Trump's team] said, 'Well, can you not fact check? He's not going to take the stage if you fact-check,'" Lemon said.

The intrigue: The Q&A with the GOP presidential nominee was delayed more than an hour before he eventually joined a panel of Black journalists, including ABC News correspondent Rachel Scott, Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner and Semafor reporter Kadia Goba.

At the time, President Trump blamed the delay on audio problems.
Lemon told Axios, "There were audio problems, but they were resolved very quickly."
"The bigger problem was his threat not to take the stage when he had agreed to go on. He did not want to be fact-checked, but we could not let him on the stage without fact-checking," Lemon said.

The stalemate was so prolonged that NABJ leaders were prepared to explain to the audience of nearly 2,000 people why Trump would not appear.

"I was prepared to go on stage to craft a statement, saying he decided not to go on stage because of fact-checking... we couldn't compromise on that.
As Lemon was preparing that statement, Trump walked onto the stage.
The other side: The Trump campaign disputes NABJ's account. Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung told Axios on Friday that they waited "for close to 40 minutes while audio/technical issues were fixed by NABJ."

Spoiler

Zoom in: Lemon says Trump's team eventually asked NABJ not to post the fact-checking on its social media platforms or allow the moderator to disclose that there would be fact-checking.

ABC's Rachel Scott discussed the fact-checking on stage, and NABJ publicized ahead of the event that there would be fact-checking."
Catch up quick: Earlier this week, NABJ announced that Trump would be in Chicago to conduct the in-person interview, creating a divide among members who didn't think the organization should provide him with the platform.

Lemon and other leaders have noted that NABJ has traditionally invited both candidates to the convention every election cycle. He said he understands the disappointment.
Zoom out: Members began lining up three hours ahead of the event to get a seat in the more than 2,000-seat auditorium, making their way through a line that snaked through the hallway.

Once everyone was seated, they waited patiently for the interview to begin, having been told the program would begin "momentarily."
Ultimately, the program that was supposed to begin at noon central time did not begin until more than an hour later.
Between the lines: In the aftermath, members remain divided on whether it was right for NABJ to extend the invitation and give a platform to Trump. Some said it was embarrassing; others praised the interviewers for their tough questioning.

Brittany Cummings, a communications professional, was among the members who didn't think the organization should have extended the invitation to Trump.
"I'm not sure that any group of journalists has the 'secret sauce' to make him tell the truth and speak as a normal candidate would," she said. "He's not a normal candidate, so we can't treat him as such."
"During the actual discussion, he was disrespectful, and I don't think there was anything new to learn."
The bottom line: Lemon said it is important for people to know that NABJ did not let anything slide. They said "no" several times to ensure the event was put together correctly and to protect the women conducting the interviews.

"Our whole team stood our ground."

• Hook 'Em 4

In a YouGov poll conducted between July 25-29, 59 percent of Republicans surveyed said they would prefer a president under the age of 75. Trump celebrated his 78th birthday in June. Forty percent said they had no preference, and just two percent said they would prefer a president over the age of 75.

Well have I got news for them!

Excuse Me What GIF by Biden Inauguration Committee

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Trump +2 a week ago. Trump +5 two weeks ago (against Biden)

It's gonna be a blowout if Trump can't find a foothold. Their campaign is in freefall and their voter enthusiasm is waning while voter enthusiasm for Kamala is surging and not losing momentum. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Hate to even think about it for fear of the jinx, but man I’m still amazed at the sudden burst of enthusiasm to squash the whole right wing conservative movement right now.  I’ve been burned before (electing Biden over Trump II, Jan 6, felony convictions, etc)…but this feels different because of the sheer diversity across the US public that are talking about it / donating / Zoom calls.  

I feared we were going to sleepwalk into Project 2025, Michigan vs App State-style.  Really hope that it’s “Ball State leading Alabama 7-0 start of the second quarter” instead.  

• Hook 'Em 8

Just now, mdmost said:

I think his only remaining play is to bribe RFK Jr to drop out and endorse him. 

I was just about to ask, what is the consensus here? It feels like the majority of RFJ Jr.'s support would go to Dotard, because loonies. But who knows.

He'd lose the diehards who only wanted to vote 3rd party. He'd get the nutbars who are anti-vax since Trump now plays to those people. Hopefully, they would just stay home out of disgust of being sold out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

He'd lose the diehards who only wanted to vote 3rd party. He'd get the nutbars who are anti-vax since Trump now plays to those people. Hopefully, they would just stay home out of disgust of being sold out. 

A lot of the early RFK support were also protest votes by younger left voters. They are obviously coming home 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I was just about to ask, what is the consensus here? It feels like the majority of RFJ Jr.'s support would go to Dotard, because loonies. But who knows.

That’s what they say, and I believe it. It feels like there would be more people that are absolutely no on Democrats but don’t love voting for Trump so they go to RFK. That probably happens more than people that are absolutely no on a black woman so they go to RFK.  Both real, but former seems bigger. 

Also don’t forget RFK has successfully gotten on the ballot in plenty of places. At some point it will be too late for him to remove his name, even if he endorsed Trump

30 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

My guess is dogs don’t like him because they can sniff out dickheads. And because they don’t like him, he don’t like them.

I stared at the comment last night. I could either go on a longcat rant about how this is one of the worst signs of his overall sorriness or nothing at all. Just report it with some detachment. Because if I said anything it would be a screed.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A lot of the early RFK support were also protest votes by younger left voters. They are obviously coming home 

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Aren’t they mostly anti vaxxers?

Yes, and yes. A law school friend and anti-science (or as she puts it "pro-nature") crusader was all in on RFK, Jr. But she's also pro-women, and is now firmly in the Harris camp. She's a nut job, but she votes.

Edited by Cap33
  • Hook 'Em 6

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The thing that pisses me off, possibly the worst save the whole fuck democracy thing, is that while old, it's obvious Biden fucking loves America. And he loves America in a way that is dwindling to the point of not existing anymore. He does hard shit as president, he does shit he doesn't like, but he does it. But in moments like this, you can see his pure, unadulterated joy in bringing Americans home. This is the shit he fucking lives for as President. It's just genuine happiness to be able to bring folks home. This right here is the guy who was best friends with John McCain, right here.

Meanwhile, the other fuck has never fucking laughed in his life and never enjoyed anything about being president other than worship and personal immunity. 

I love Biden. He's a better POTUS today than Kamala or Trump could ever hope to be. He'll be a better POTUS than those two tomorrow, next week, next month and probably until the day age no longer allows it. But the simple fact of the matter is he could no longer win this race -- and he did an amazing thing by stepping aside when he did and how he did it. It's absolutely amazing. My entire outlook on this country turned on an absolute dime on 7/21.

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's gonna be a blowout if Trump can't find a foothold. Their campaign is in freefall and their voter enthusiasm is waning while voter enthusiasm for Kamala is surging and not losing momentum. 

I agree. It will take something along the lines of Biden's debate performance to stop her. Trump and his merry band of miscreants will do a lot of illegal shit trying to steal her rightful win, though.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

Yes, and yes. A law school friend and anti-science (or as she puts it "pro-nature") crusader was all in on RFK, Jr. But she's also pro-women, and is now firmly in the Harris camp. She's a nut job, but she votes.

_F5X1X.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1