2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Nailed it ….

Trump is a symptom of the failed reconstruction of the south.  He's not a new thing or a unique thing, he's just an idiot whisperer who glommed onto a loose set of causes that gives him the things he treasures most... attention, power, and money.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is fucking perfect, and I would like to broadcast it from the ledge. We have good signal coverage up there. We even have a VPN so you can get info from certain…content providers.
Seriously, each society gets exactly one election where they get to choose authoritarianism. After that…any change is by bullets, not ballots.

KMVZZZGGP4BTSZUHMH43NGZHTE.jpg

This is fucking perfect, and I would like to broadcast it from the ledge. We have good signal coverage up there. We even have a VPN so you can get info from certain…content providers.
Seriously, each society gets exactly one election where they get to choose authoritarianism. After that…any change is by bullets, not ballots.

And chances are you won’t get that chance. It’ll be your grandkids or great grandkids. Just look at Venezuela if you want a current example. There are plenty of older ones.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

KMVZZZGGP4BTSZUHMH43NGZHTE.jpg

He stands out because he lived.

I’m sure the Soviets, Nazis and their ilk killed a lot of would be Ghandis. Putin would’ve put a bullet right between his peace loving eyes if he didn’t throw him out a window first.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

He stands out because he lived.

I’m sure the Soviets, Nazis and their ilk killed a lot of would be Ghandis. Putin would’ve put a bullet right between his peace loving eyes if he didn’t throw him out a window first.

Also worth mentioning that there were plenty of bullets and bloodshed. Just not from Gandhi.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I know dozens (100+?) of CEO’s that also are Pro Trump. They are conditioned to think in simple black and white stereotypes of a) Republicans good for business, b) Democrats bad for business. 

While this is a gross misleading oversimplification, it’s the environment they are in so they are just blind to facts. It’s why I respect the heck out of CEO’s, like Sydney here, and others who’ve deprogrammed themselves. I got out of that mindset in the mid-2000’s. But in the early 1990’s I was listening to Rush Limbaugh bs. 

Pfffft. I created Tik tok videos for them. 

It was around 1959 when I asked my dad about the difference between Republicans and Democrats.  His exact words were "Republicans are for the rich, Democrats are for everyone else."  I think about that now when I drive around and notice which properties have Republican campaign signs.  Exceptions?  Sure, but very damn few.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

It was around 1959 when I asked my dad about the difference between Republicans and Democrats.  His exact words were "Republicans are for the rich, Democrats are for everyone else."  I think about that now when I drive around and notice which properties have Republican campaign signs.  Exceptions?  Sure, but very damn few.

Not the strategy any more.  Bimodal distribution imo 

I keep saying that if our only avenue to survival is the fickle nature of kids then we are playing with fire, that they have to be dangled candy in order to vote against end of the world fascism, this is NOT sustainable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I warned about discussions I've had with multiple UT kids a few months back.  I wasn't lying.  They collectively had a big problem with Biden because they felt he didn't do enough to quell Israel's aggressiveness against Palestine.  Hopefully they don't now hold that against Harris.  I pointed out RvW, P2025, and a couple other greatest hits -- they paled in perceived importance to Israel/Palestine.

We can rail against them for being naïve and idealistic or we can continue to try to open eyes.  

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

ha. my mom once said 'Democrats want to take my money and give it to everyone else, at least Republicans just want to keep it for themselves!' 

giphy(14).gif.74355a8182a854fae7aa250c7ae28a29.gif

she failed to explain how that was any better.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They collectively had a big problem with Biden because they felt he didn't do enough to quell Israel's aggressiveness against Palestine

And they believe Trump would do so?  Can they not take the next step in that line of thinking?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

my mom once said 'Democrats want to take my money and give it to everyone else, at least Republicans just want to keep it for themselves!' 

This one sentence has been winning Republicans elections for 50 years.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

My guess is that's all performative. If Trump loses again or if he dies all of that will go with him and nothing will become of any of it.

MAGA is going to linger like a cancer in American politics and society for the rest of my life. The power vacuum post-Trump may cause them to fracture and cede control of the GOP something resembling what we'd historically think of as the establishment or never Trumpers; but the ideas, the hate, the radicalization will all still be out there. At a minimum I expect a long term, low grade outburst of violence if/when MAGA no longer wields the controls of a major political party.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It won’t happen in Georgia (because they know some nutso MAGA type is waiting to attack them) but in the late 80s when it was clear Texas was flipping, Democrats were switching to the GOP left and right - Phil Gramm and Rick Perry were some of the best examples, but it happened a lot.

Would be hilarious if this happened with Republicans in Georgia who decided they wanted to stay in office.

When you think about the attacks on Republicans at his rally and on social media against Kemp and Raffensperger, and his comments this morning about purging the GOP of anybody who didn’t 100% support him, it’s clear something is up. If he splits the GOP, he loses a lot more bigly.

Brian Kemp is still a guy that signed a 6-week abortion ban. Most Trump antagonistic Republicans are still with the party for a specific reason. Higher profile officials like Kemp can just win on personal brand. Maybe it'll happen with no name state legislators or something but I think "former Trump-era Republican" would be pretty damning in a Democratic primary in all but the most purple of districts.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Am I understanding correctly that Trump has not said anything positive about the Americans who have been imprisoned being returned to the US and instead of congratulating the families he congratulated Putin?

I'm convinced that anyone voting for trump is a deluded person. The only ones I've met and talked to are deep into conspiracy theories and resemble the people in all those interviews people do at Trump rallies there's something really wrong with people who can't identify or come to terms with a truth at odds with what they want. 

Don't know what he has or hasn't said on the prisoners, but he absolutely congratulated Putin. I believe the angle he was taking was sarcastically congratulating Putin for getting the better of Biden; you know, since bringing those folks home was such a low value achievement and all.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, linux said:

I keep saying that if our only avenue to survival is the fickle nature of kids then we are playing with fire, that they have to be dangled candy in order to vote against end of the world fascism, this is NOT sustainable. 

Well, schools don’t seem to teach WW2 anymore and something like 10% or more don’t believe in the holocaust, so it’s hard to be surprised they have little concern. 

Edit:

sorry it is 20%
https://www.economist.com/united-states/2023/12/07/one-in-five-young-americans-thinks-the-holocaust-is-a-myth

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Rage+1 3

12 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So as of right now, Walz, Shapiro and Mark Kelly are scheduled to meet with Kamala in D.C. tomorrow for VP interviews.

Buttigieg met with Kamala yesterday I believe, and he was out fundraising for her in NH today. Pritzker had a Zoom with Kamala already. Pritzker's definitely out of the running, probably Pete as well. 

Haven't seen any updates yet regarding Beshear.

Come on, man. Take it easy on my governor.  😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Our CEO loves Trump.  

The weird thing is he's pretty sharp and insightful about a lot of things, and more so than most of his division presidents.  It's a complete head scratcher.

Let me guess…

White man?

Boom Mic Drop GIF by Face The Truth

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It should have pissed me off, but it surprised me instead. The kids are smart and politically aware. 

But it made me realize that a lot of young people don’t really understand how serious of a situation the country faces. I don’t talk politics with my kids. I’ve always assumed they are smart enough to see through the bullshit, but now I’m not so sure. I’m going to have a conversation with them and send them a write up of my thoughts. 

Just save it for the Airing of Grievances during Festivus.

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And they believe Trump would do so?  Can they not take the next step in that line of thinking?

None of them were going to vote Trump.  They weren't going to vote.  I'm telling you, a 20-year-old kid, no matter how high their IQ, they just don't process everything like people with less tread on the tires.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Am I understanding correctly that Trump has not said anything positive about the Americans who have been imprisoned being returned to the US and instead of congratulating the families he congratulated Putin?

I'm convinced that anyone voting for trump is a deluded person. The only ones I've met and talked to are deep into conspiracy theories and resemble the people in all those interviews people do at Trump rallies there's something really wrong with people who can't identify or come to terms with a truth at odds with what they want. 

As much as I agree with the fact that people voting for Trump are “deluded” it is hard for me to reconcile this notion when it is associated with people and things that I love.

These “deluded” people are our families, parents, brothers and sisters, neighbors, church leaders, coworkers, and even players representing the University of Texas on the field. 

Family, work, church, and football are NOT politics and I will never turn my back on people for supporting Donald Trump, but I do privately question the values and morals of people who choose to support a man that is a disgusting, disrespectful, racist human being. 

I’ll always support my family and Texas football, it’s just sad that an asshole like Trump has me rethinking where I should be sitting at the dinner table or what jerseys I want to spend money on. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, MrBig said:

As much as I agree with the fact that people voting for Trump are “deluded” it is hard for me to reconcile this notion when it is associated with people and things that I love.

These “deluded” people are our families, parents, brothers and sisters, neighbors, church leaders, coworkers, and even players representing the University of Texas on the field. 

Family, work, church, and football are NOT politics and I will never turn my back on people for supporting Donald Trump, but I do privately question the values and morals of people who choose to support a man that is a disgusting, disrespectful, racist human being. 

I’ll always support my family and Texas football, it’s just sad that an asshole like Trump has me rethinking where I should be sitting at the dinner table or what jerseys I want to spend money on. 

I don't see how my post is at odds with that it directly supports it. I have friends who are voting for trump and I talk to them about why and their answers are based in some alternate reality that they believe to be real. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrBig said:

There are two things in play.  There are the people that support Trump because they truly are the same type of scum and villainy that he is.  Then there are people who support Trump because they are so wrapped up in his team (Republican vs Democrat) that it doesn't matter about the person they just want their team to win.  It's like that with anything.  Not every Penn State fan is into diddling kids. They were just so into Penn State they couldn't separate themselves from that identity that had been built for them.  The examples of this problem are endless.  People who are so wrapped up in team identity that all logic etc falls to the side.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't see how my post is at odds with that it directly supports it. I have friends who are voting for trump and I talk to them about why and their answers are based in some alternate reality that they believe to be real. 

Imma’s friends:  we talk to imma about why he’s voting for Harris and his answers are based on some alternate reality that he believes to be real. 

Not being able to agree on basic facts as basic facts is kind of a big issue. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

The best and most accurate one I heard is that the GOP is the party of evil, and the Democrats are the party of bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The bolded really, really pisses me off.  Stupid bastards were going to throw away democracy as a protest.  Fucking enraging. 

The problem is they’re young.  Without reflection, I instantly remember what happened when the Nader gave the country to Bush.    You know what happens when Stein or Nader upsets the chess game or you don’t.  Reading about what happened before they were born is less impact than having yet be a part of your political experience.    

I’ve had the discussion with my son numerous times, but he’s so sick of everything he probably would have voted for Biden, but he wouldn’t tell his friends about it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Imma’s friends:  we talk to imma about why he’s voting for Harris and his answers are based on some alternate reality that he believes to be real. 

Not being able to agree on basic facts as basic facts is kind of a big issue. 

I don't think that's the impression I give off. There's plenty of common ground, but there's a lot of information available, but the sources have now become untrustworthy across the board. 

People keep trying to think there is some complexity to explaining things and the simple answer is generally what happened. 

There isn't as much meaning behind things happening as people want there to be. It's why people invented gods as a concept. That's not to say there isn't an ultimately simple answer to creation being a higher power etc etc, but the entire faith based argument of religion being replaced by a bunch of faith based arguments in conspiracy and MAGA is starting to look like the simple answer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The most succesful tack I've tried in those conversations is to
a) Point out that it's fallacy to think of the United States as a major protagonist of events in the Palestine/Israel conflict. When I do this, they agree, and argue that what they really seek is disinvestment and the use of American soft power as leverage to curb Israeli policy, and will generally concede that Trump is unlikely to do that. Then I 
b) point out that as college students at an elite institution they are privileged to feel far less of an impact if Trump is elected. When I do this, they will reflexively argue that they will be impacted, drastically, in terms of civil rights, Democracy and the imact of climate change on themselves and their children. This usually leads to them grudgingly conceding that they will probably vote for Biden/Harris.

I just ask them why they care so much and then point out how much shit they have to worry about that isn't that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don’t disagree with your sentiment that people who vote for Trump are “deluded” and making choices that are not based in reality.

I’m just venting that it sucks ass that these deluded people are all around us intertwined in our lives and it’s really fucking with my perception of the things that I love. 

I think less of my sister who supports Trump and I try not to sit next to her during holiday dinners because I don’t want to hear much of anything she has to say. I think less of Quinn Ewers for supporting Trump and don’t want to buy one of his jerseys even though I support the entire team. I will never actively root against my sister or Quinn Ewers based on their support for Trump, but I do have a tendency to unfairly question their decision making skills when shit doesn’t go as planned for them just because they are Trump supporters (which, ironically, is a deluded way of thinking). 

I don’t want to think like this because it’s just generalization that has nothing to do with supporting Trump, but unfortunately that’s the way my mind works. The level of delusion exhibited by Trump has caused me to view his supporters in the same way because it is incomprehensible that anyone could support him. And it’s sad because that’s the type of thinking that Trump supporters have about us from their side of the aisle. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

If you’re debating policy issues with kids, you’re going to lose imo.  They’re are reasonable policy thoughts either direction.  Trump’s danger is his existential threat to democracy, asking Georgia to falsify results, using the White House as a money maker etc. 

they’re are?

20 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The most succesful tack I've tried in those conversations is to
a) Point out that it's fallacy to think of the United States as a major protagonist of events in the Palestine/Israel conflict. When I do this, they agree, and argue that what they really seek is disinvestment and the use of American soft power as leverage to curb Israeli policy, and will generally concede that Trump is unlikely to do that. Then I 
b) point out that as college students at an elite institution they are privileged to feel far less of an impact if Trump is elected. When I do this, they will reflexively argue that they will be impacted, drastically, in terms of civil rights, Democracy and the imact of climate change on themselves and their children. This usually leads to them grudgingly conceding that they will probably vote for Biden/Harris.

I don't disagree, and I've tried similar tactics.  I think the concept of an increasingly authoritarian government can ring hollow with someone who was trying to make top 6%, score booze and get laid when Trump left office.  Most were sheltered by well-meaning parents.  The fragility of democracy is slowly absorbed over years, decades even, and not every kid is going to understand the parameters or certainly the history beyond the basics.

• Hook 'Em 1