2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

45 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The best and most accurate one I heard is that the GOP is the party of evil, and the Democrats are the party of bullshit. 

I once saw a standup who said something like "Democrats are the party of bad ideas, Republicans are the party of no ideas." 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

None of them were going to vote Trump.  They weren't going to vote.  I'm telling you, a 20-year-old kid, no matter how high their IQ, they just don't process everything like people with less tread on the tires.

Good judgment comes from experience 

Experience comes from bad judgment 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Am I understanding correctly that Trump has not said anything positive about the Americans who have been imprisoned being returned to the US and instead of congratulating the families he congratulated Putin?

I'm convinced that anyone voting for trump is a deluded person. The only ones I've met and talked to are deep into conspiracy theories and resemble the people in all those interviews people do at Trump rallies there's something really wrong with people who can't identify or come to terms with a truth at odds with what they want. 

58 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't see how my post is at odds with that it directly supports it. I have friends who are voting for trump and I talk to them about why and their answers are based in some alternate reality that they believe to be real. 

I have someone in my life who I've just recently decided to have to cut out completely. I've tried many, many times to reason with them and show them the truth they're not seeing. At some point it's to your own detriment to keep trying. That's where I am at. If you haven't figured out that guy is a demonic Creamsicle by now, I can't help you. At some point it becomes about self preservation and sanity. Maybe they'll see the way eventually, but I ain't got time for that shit anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't disagree, and I've tried similar tactics.  I think the concept of an increasingly authoritarian government can ring hollow with someone who was trying to make top 6%, score booze and get laid when Trump left office.  Most were sheltered by well-meaning parents.  The fragility of democracy is slowly absorbed over years, decades even, and not every kid is going to understand the parameters or certainly the history beyond the basics.

Oh sure, but the last part is key - their privilege. If you tell them they won't suffer the consequences they'll argue the point. That only leads one place. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I don't see how my post is at odds with that it directly supports it. I have friends who are voting for trump and I talk to them about why and their answers are based in some alternate reality that they believe to be real. 

One of my wife’s friends from HS is absolutely convinced there are anywhere from 3 to 5 Biden body doubles that make all his public appearances. Like believes down to the bone the govt can

a) find 3-5 dudes in their 70s to 80s that look and sound enough Biden to fool millions of people 

b) keep that fact a secret in this day and age

How do you have any type of meaningful discussion with someone like that?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

A black guy at the bar last night told me "Yeah Trump is racist but Republicans are better with the economy. Trump cut my taxes and gave me some money during covid. Democrats want to send all my money to Ukraine....Also did you see they let that man beat up a woman in boxing? I can't support Democrats thinking men should beat up women."

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

A black guy at the bar last night told me "Yeah Trump is racist but Republicans are better with the economy. Trump cut my taxes and gave me some money during covid. Democrats want to send all my money to Ukraine....Also did you see they let that man beat up a woman in boxing? I can't support Democrats thinking men should beat up women."

I would’ve told him I hope he gets to be a house slave instead of a field slave once Trump becomes dictator.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

he sounds pissed ... royally pissed. 

16 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

One of my wife’s friends from HS is absolutely convinced there are anywhere from 3 to 5 Biden body doubles that make all his public appearances. Like believes down to the bone the govt can

a) find 3-5 dudes in their 70s to 80s that look and sound enough Biden to fool millions of people 

You don't because they're being disingenuous and inventing ways to dislike him.  Their same logic often doesn't apply to the other candidate.  That's youth though.  I was one of the Nader kids that thought I was taking the higher road between two evils. I also voted for Perot because he funded his own election.  I was a problem voter, not a solution, and finally saw that I was really only getting the worst evil elected, so to hell with that. 

Ask them questions like how hard would it be to keep a book and movie deal covered up, along with the promises of instant fame, money and celebrity were certain?  And in a world where everything is surveilled, especially one of the the highest positions in the world, how would that play out? And then start asking them when did they begin having these concerns and why, with nothing pointing that they were indeed accurate, since it's not been revealed.  Isn't that the meaning of faith based?  Where do they get their information, which can be debunked pretty quickly since everything is connected somewhere.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The closer it is the more eyeballs they get. 

Those swing state numbers are not actual polls. They are statistical estimates based upon the national poll.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, linux said:

I keep saying that if our only avenue to survival is the fickle nature of kids then we are playing with fire, that they have to be dangled candy in order to vote against end of the world fascism, this is NOT sustainable. 

Who are we calling kids here? Seriously. Twenty to early thirties? Collegians? I will presume to take up their perspective.

I think when they say "too old" that they're saying more than "it's time for the young generation to take over."

Two geriatrics where one is a criminal lunatic who manages to get elected and the other is well-meaning but is stuck in the past of political discourse and literally difficult to understand, present more than an aesthetic objection.

I'm guessing that many view the world governments including the US as Greta Thunberg does. The short-sighted profit/growth driven economies and governments are doing very little to address issues that deal with their future. The olds still see the world as having a future similar to when they themselves were young. The olds are fucking way off.

Climate cataclysm is the easiest example, and it indeed exemplifies what the young must be seeing in any number of contexts. They just really don't give a fuck, and there's nothing I can do about it.

They see BLM and Me Too dismissed or even villified in the case of the former. They see 60s style police crackdowns on non-violent demonstrations on campus. They see a criminal system of justice unable to even jail the leader of an insurrection they saw on TV.

There has been a cold-blooded collaboration between banks, governments, and colleges to strap them with high five to six digit debt the day they leave school to embark on their young lives. That is unconscionable, shameless, and mandatory. The college loans are unironically presented as providing "opportunity" while severely limiting same. Horrifying.

The young already exist in a de facto fascist-authoritariam society in which their interests don't matter unless they conform to the rapine ways that got us here. Get the job to pay the loan to live the future your grandpa did which doesn't exist anymore. 

I won't promote what is essentially "we didn't include them, so why don't they feel included." Their world will go to shit and they will rightfully hate all of us as selfish materialists. 

So, yeah, I don't see myself having an easy time sidling up to a "kid" and offering to set them straight on how to run things.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, schools don’t seem to teach WW2 anymore and something like 10% or more don’t believe in the holocaust, so it’s hard to be surprised they have little concern. 

Edit:

sorry it is 20%
https://www.economist.com/united-states/2023/12/07/one-in-five-young-americans-thinks-the-holocaust-is-a-myth

And, here in Idiot World, they'll blame teachers instead of the dickheads interfering with curricula from above.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's not that kids can't or don't have smarts.  Kids lack wisdowm

We've got tons to share. How do you think we got ourselves and the world to where it is today?

My friends, there is a rich fountain of absurdity or absurdism going around. Wisdom is in short supply and always has been. Age does not automatically confer it.

44 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The best and most accurate one I heard is that the GOP is the party of evil, and the Democrats are the party of bullshit. 

Close to my take. The GOPs are evil and the Dems are weak. Maybe the Dems are bucking up.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

And then he asked you for 3.50?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

The problem is they’re young.  Without reflection, I instantly remember what happened when the Nader gave the country to Bush.    You know what happens when Stein or Nader upsets the chess game or you don’t.  Reading about what happened before they were born is less impact than having yet be a part of your political experience.    

I’ve had the discussion with my son numerous times, but he’s so sick of everything he probably would have voted for Biden, but he wouldn’t tell his friends about it.

Nader didn't give the country to W., the Supreme Court did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Yeah, my sister went on a similar rant recently about Biden's earlobes and sent me this. It's difficult to find common ground.

joe_biden.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

thought this was a good take

For a second I thought he was gonna say Shapiro was “building bridges” to unite people with his “open beaches” of ideas. But, you know. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I warned about discussions I've had with multiple UT kids a few months back.  I wasn't lying.  They collectively had a big problem with Biden because they felt he didn't do enough to quell Israel's aggressiveness against Palestine.  Hopefully they don't now hold that against Harris.  I pointed out RvW, P2025, and a couple other greatest hits -- they paled in perceived importance to Israel/Palestine.

We can rail against them for being naïve and idealistic or we can continue to try to open eyes.  

Ask them why they are attending school in Occupied Mexico.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Who are we calling kids here? Seriously. Twenty to early thirties? Collegians? I will presume to take up their perspective.

I think when they say "too old" that they're saying more than "it's time for the young generation to take over."

Two geriatrics where one is a criminal lunatic who manages to get elected and the other is well-meaning but is stuck in the past of political discourse and literally difficult to understand, present more than an aesthetic objection.

I'm guessing that many view the world governments including the US as Greta Thunberg does. The short-sighted profit/growth driven economies and governments are doing very little to address issues that deal with their future. The olds still see the world as having a future similar to when they themselves were young. The olds are fucking way off.

Climate cataclysm is the easiest example, and it indeed exemplifies what the young must be seeing in any number of contexts. They just really don't give a fuck, and there's nothing I can do about it.

They see BLM and Me Too dismissed or even villified in the case of the former. They see 60s style police crackdowns on non-violent demonstrations on campus. They see a criminal system of justice unable to even jail the leader of an insurrection they saw on TV.

There has been a cold-blooded collaboration between banks, governments, and colleges to strap them with high five to six digit debt the day they leave school to embark on their young lives. That is unconscionable, shameless, and mandatory. The college loans are unironically presented as providing "opportunity" while severely limiting same. Horrifying.

The young already exist in a de facto fascist-authoritariam society in which their interests don't matter unless they conform to the rapine ways that got us here. Get the job to pay the loan to live the future your grandpa did which doesn't exist anymore. 

I won't promote what is essentially "we didn't include them, so why don't they feel included." Their world will go to shit and they will rightfully hate all of us as selfish materialists. 

So, yeah, I don't see myself having an easy time sidling up to a "kid" and offering to set them straight on how to run things.

Dude I AGREE with all of them, hell I am more to the left than all of them, but the time for that shit was before the primaries, it was before Oct 7, it was literally on day 1 of the Biden administration, then is where they should have organized and put heat on the democrats, instead what did we get? just polls around July 2021 that had Biden underwater... because he is too old. This is NOT sustainable, this leads to shitty primary candidates (Hillary) they then blame the DNC as a conspiracy theory, and we get a divided huge tent electorate.

I thought they learned that lesson in 2020 but it surfaced again today, because grandpa was too old... there is no plan nor reason nor logic, just blind blind luck that Biden wanted a snap 2 day transition, without that level of selflessness and execution we would have probably been doomed. 

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

since this is a Trump theme, I just assumed that you were a Popeye's guy.  I seem to recall that you turned black quite a while ago. 

Bojangle's. keep it on script.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 3

19 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Man there were some good stories on shaggy of that fuel.

Who was the guy who got arrested in his front yard speaking in tongues? It was also the guy who somehow got one of the "water nymphs" friends to come to a happy hour at Oslo either to meet the gang or sort of a date. Either way, she was about as disappointed as you would expect. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

You should have asked him who his two senators are and watch the blank stare on his face.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1