2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Serious question. Has their been a Republican Prez or VP nominee who was Jewish ever in modern times?  Know the Ds had Liebermann. 

Unless you Founding Father deists and other quiet atheists/agnostics, I think Lieberman was the first and only non-Christian to ever be on any ticket. 

Serious question. Has there been a Republican Prez or VP nominee who was Jewish ever in modern times?  Know the Ds had Liebermann. 

Neither party has a Jewish person on the ticket. Advantage: GOP.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I'm clearly not part of the majority here but this feels like an unforced error.  While I don't really think VP picks matter, she 100% has to win Pennsylvania to win and instead of picking the very popular governor she went with a guy from a state that was never in doubt.  I think Shapiro would've locked down PA and don't think picking him would've impacted Minnesota or Michigan. It can be framed pretty easily that she didn't pick Shapiro due to him being Jewish (even though that isn't true).  The honeymoon bump is over and now its about to be a race.  

You are correct that the most superficial and naïve analysis would lead to this conclusion. The problem is that the assumptions are all wrong. Here are some of the completely incorrect assumptions you're basing this on. 

1. Shapiro VP with Walz as a campaign surrogate helps win Pennsylvania more than Walz VP with Shapiro as a campaign surrogate. 

2. The Jewish angle will have any traction beyond internet morons.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Now I know she made the right call since throwing the antisemitism thing out there is just a MAGA talking point

The Republican Party has no right to lecture anyone on antisemitism 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

So as a party you’ve never nominated a Jew but that’s gonna be a line of attack on the party who has at least once historically and the top of that ticket is married to one. 

got it. 

just the fucking dumbest people pandering to the dumbest people. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Unless you Founding Father deists and other quiet atheists/agnostics, I think Lieberman was the first and only non-Christian to ever be on any ticket. 

It's pretty clear with the benefit of historical hindsight that Jefferson was a mutt of Deist/Agnostic/Atheist.  Other than some church appearances in a public capacity, really no record of him exist as a Christian of any ilk.  

That's about as close as we have had in this country.  Trump is not a Christian but he tries to play one on TV.  Since compulsory chapel at Penn, guy spends 50 years in New York, home to 4000 Christian houses of worship.  No record of him belonging to any of them at any point between college and running for President.  Other than weddings and funerals, nobody ever once saw him in a house of worship at any time over a half-century.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's pretty clear with the benefit of historical hindsight that Jefferson was a mutt of Deist/Agnostic/Atheist.  Other than some church appearances in a public capacity, really no record of him exist as a Christian of any ilk.  

Didn’t Jefferson rewrite the Bible or something where he took all the magic out of it.  Like no Virgin Mary, no miracle working, no resurrection 

• Hook 'Em 3

Yes, in part.  That was his "Deism" footprint he left behind as a lesson to the nation he helped build.  Flawed as he was, he knew how things could go sideways in a hurry with this experiment still in its infancy.  

Just drove through Philly where I saw 3 big Trump billboards along I-95, the best being something like "Trump - Will Unite America".  Bro can't even unite his own party.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I doubt he tweeted that on Aug 60th though. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Putt, if it says Parody anywhere on the screen, it's a fake. You're the Prong Horn of leftists. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

it’s humor 😂😂

Well, it's humorous that you thought Tim_Balz was his offical twitter account, sure. 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You are correct that the most superficial and naïve analysis would lead to this conclusion. The penitent is that the assumptions are all wrong. Here are some of the completely incorrect assumptions you're basing this on. 

1. Shapiro VP with Walz as a campaign surrogate helps win Pennsylvania more than Walz VP with Shapiro as a campaign surrogate. 

Hope that helps.

Lil Yachty Drake GIF - Lil Yachty Drake Oprahs Bank Account - Discover &  Share GIFs

Is it me or do you guys feel that the writers of 2024 are going to throw another curve ball that swings the pendulum back towards Trump and the republicans?! 

IDk. This good news stuff has got me worried. 

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Is it me or do you guys feel that the writers of 2024 are going to throw another curve ball that swings the pendulum back towards Trump and the republicans?! 

Kinda feels like right before Obama was elected in his 1st term to me.

At least the vibes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

HalfGoldenGiantschnauzer-max-1mb.gif.35dbc702db300c1c41111c534182693a.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

I'm clearly not part of the majority here but this feels like an unforced error.  While I don't really think VP picks matter, she 100% has to win Pennsylvania to win and instead of picking the very popular governor she went with a guy from a state that was never in doubt.  I think Shapiro would've locked down PA and don't think picking him would've impacted Minnesota or Michigan. It can be framed pretty easily that she didn't pick Shapiro due to him being Jewish (even though that isn't true).  The honeymoon bump is over and now its about to be a race.  

Shapiro would've been the safe choice to try to lock down a key electoral state. Walz is the choice to go balls to the wall and try to beat the hell out of the fascist fucks all across the heartland.

42 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

The news media will try to turn the story into "Harris did this or said that" horrible thing, because they want clicks and controversy. They're currently stymied because she was THE story for so long due to momentum. Now the story is her VP choice, and next (13 days) it will be more momentum, the Convention and the post-Convention bounce. However, for sure, the media will try as hard as possible to find a wedge story about a split in the Democratic party about something controversial, like the border or Palestine.

Edited by Chopper
gramma
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

@Brisketexan, please pick up the burnt orange courtesy phone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Shapiro would've been the safe choice to try to lock down a key electoral state. Walz is the choice to go balls to the wall and try beat the hell out of the fascist fucks all across the heartland.

And Shapiro would have blunted momentum - labor unions are meh on him, he doesn’t excite progressive or young voters and he has a lot of things he’d be on defense about. Walz was the pick. If Harris isn’t winning PA by herself, she isn’t winning the election elsewhere 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, G650 said:

They are posting through it I see

its the fucktarded "patriot" version of the band on the titantic

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sad that this is what passes for politics these days. 

Here is that same choad when he was younger: 

image.png.1fcac8b92406ac86b5789a361c11e7d4.png

https://www.reverbnation.com/joeymannarino

This fucking loser tried to be an R&B act, lulz. But no talent = no money in the "influencer" world. these people are desperate for online clout, and magtards will give it, so he's trafficking in hate for those clicks. Just another in a long line of grifters will ride this Trump shitshow into their  grave. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I give you George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, both non-Christians. and I know you said deists, But their flavor of deist was pointedly non-Christian.

George Washington’s pastor said that he was not a Christian, and that George refused to take communion.   When the pastor mildly rebuked him by saying they were important personages who were not taking communion, Washington walked out of church and never went back.    

If non-Christian is the litmus test then he passes it.  And we all know about Jefferson cutting out the superstitious parts of the Bible, leaving only the philosophical sayings of Jesus.

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

You are correct that the most superficial and naïve analysis would lead to this conclusion. The problem is that the assumptions are all wrong. Here are some of the completely incorrect assumptions you're basing this on. 

Hope that helps.

I THINK he was doing a chainsaw impression….or he’s just dumb.

On 8/2/2024 at 11:03 PM, Dahobbs said:

Good steaks don't require ketchup. Mediocre steaks don't require ketchup. Bad steaks aren't steaks. In short, you don't eat steaks with ketchup god damn it. 

I thought the sarcasm would be obvious. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

This? This is what they think is going to help them with the suburbs? 

Bwahaha!

There are 40 "sub-denominations" of Lutheranism.  Including "The Big 3" here in the U.S.  LCMS, WELS, and ELCA.  Having my father's side of my family deeply involved in the Lutheran Church over the past century (my great aunt was the first woman to graduate Harvard Divinity School and went on to become one of the first ordained ministers in the church after the the AALC/Synod shakeup/breakoff.  My paternal grandfather was a Church Elder in the LCMS for decades in both Illinois, North Carolina, and Florida.  There are a number of churches with plaques dedicated to him and his service.  All that to say, to this day, there is a lot of political infighting among Lutherans in the U.S. and Europe, and has been for centuries.  Such is the price you pay for being the first Protestant movement.  First guy through the wall always gets bloodied.  

But I'd like to give a friendly pro-tip to Lyman Stone and MAGA nation...85% of the U.S. is not Lutheran nor do they give fuck one about the differences within our protestant faith.  I'd add at least 1/3rd of Lutherans aren't active in the church and another 1/3rd don't really care about the divisiveness within the 'Big 3' sects.  So that means about 5% of all U.S. adults will actually take serious Walz's outlook on the Augsburg Confession.  

A country that elected a guy who clearly didn't even know the difference the two biblical testaments and thinks the Imperial Diet of the Holy Roman Empire is when an American Dictator gets all the ketchup on his pasta he wants.  Is suddenly gonna get wise on the 28 articles and hold it against a guy from Minnesota who is just happy to be with his family in a congregation of acceptance and faith and love on Sundays?  

You got a better shot at grabbing America's attention with the couch fucking thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

There are 40 "sub-denominations" of Lutheranism.  Including "The Big 3" here in the U.S.  LCMS, WELS, and ELCA.  Having my father's side of my family deeply involved in the Lutheran Church over the past century (my great aunt was the first woman to graduate Harvard Divinity School and went on to become one of the first ordained ministers in the church after the the AALC/Synod shakeup/breakoff.  My paternal grandfather was a Church Elder in the LCMS for decades in both Illinois, North Carolina, and Florida.  There are a number of churches with plaques dedicated to him and his service.  All that to say, to this day, there is a lot of political infighting among Lutherans in the U.S. and Europe, and has been for centuries.  Such is the price you pay for being the first Protestant movement.  First guy through the wall always gets bloodied.  

But I'd like to give a friendly pro-tip to Lyman Stone and MAGA nation...85% of the U.S. is not Lutheran nor do they give fuck one about the differences within our protestant faith.  I'd add at least 1/3rd of Lutherans aren't active in the church and another 1/3rd don't really care about the divisiveness within the 'Big 3' sects.  So that means about 5% of all U.S. adults will actually take serious Walz's outlook on the Augsburg Confession.  

A country that elected a guy who clearly didn't even know the difference the two biblical testaments and thinks the Imperial Diet of the Holy Roman Empire is when an American Dictator gets all the ketchup on his pasta he wants.  Is suddenly gonna get wise on the 28 articles and hold it against a guy from Minnesota who is just happy to be with his family in a congregation of acceptance and faith and love on Sundays?  

You got a better shot at grabbing America's attention with the couch fucking thing.  

Especially since Walz is ELCA, and the default response to any rant about the differences is going to be a shrug of the shoulders, and to hand you a dessert bar or a scoop of some sort of salad. Also might open the door for a Rick Steves endorsement too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The bullshit about antisemitism is hilarious. Conservatives vigorously decry people playing the race card the instant something negatively affects a minority, but they have no qualms doing the same bullshit to serve their ends. Exhibit eleventy billion that these people have no principles at all. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I feel like I should note on an ELCA note too, that we are the ones funding a lot of the refugee resettlement in the Midwest that people get pissy about. As our Pastor told us one Sunday, "If you complain about refugees, I don't know why you're here because that's what we are spending your offering on"

• Hook 'Em 9

18 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Just in case we men need a reminder.

Just saying 

i am reminded of the surly genius who remarked 'women use, what, like two or three tampons a day on their period? what's the big deal about the cost?' 

giphy (1) (19).gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4