2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

25 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Drove by this Trump merch side of the road tent an hour ago here in the reddest county in Alabama (Gulf Shores, etc.).  Ther was NO ONE there except the dude in the truck who was manning the tent.  Those assholes can’t suffer enough.

image.thumb.jpeg.46a80a39649863923a96c0738437ac9d.jpeg

My wife and I laughed about that exact same man last week on our trip there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

@immamac - given how concerned you were about making sure VP talk moved to another thread on Monday, can you go ahead and ban pimphand from the CR? He's come in several times over the last few weeks (last night the worst) and does nothing except spew diarrheic over the thread and cause pages of stupid bickering. It's almost, dare I say, toxic behavior. If he has ever had even a single non-trolling post in the CR then I would give benefit of the doubt but it's clear he just likes to stir shit up.

Fucking let him spew his ignorance.

Just more proof of Republican bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Drove by this Trump merch side of the road tent an hour ago here in the reddest county in Alabama (Gulf Shores, etc.).  Ther was NO ONE there except the dude in the truck who was manning the tent.  Those assholes can’t suffer enough.

image.thumb.jpeg.46a80a39649863923a96c0738437ac9d.jpeg

Did a drive across the south a few weeks ago. Every trunp store I saw had anywhere from 0-3 cars in it. 

I’m not sure how those idiots are still making money.

Wait…yes, I know how—Russia 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Well being a never trumper I kind of see your point. However it is really a never maga situation.  Unfortunately may take awhile. Until then I will vote straight dem.  

That's where I'm at.  Probably a left of center moderate pre Trump, I'm now a straight ticket Dem for every office and will be until there's widespread condemnation of maga by the Rs.... Which is likely at least another 10 years away. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Covri said:

I actually wasted brain cells on this earlier and concluded that even tho each main character has faults, they all have some redeeming qualities that JV has none of. Drama was the first thought because he’s a pathetic has been never was hanger on, but it’s not his fault his brother overshadowed him. Turtle liked being a hanger on, but then decided to make something of himself using all the connections he had, which at least shows some self awareness and ambition. E always tried to be a partner not a hanger on, but was still a hanger on so he’s probably closer to JV than the others, but he could pull some tail for a littler person and we know JD repulses woman/people in general.

He’s definitely not Vincent Chase.

Thank you for coming to my Entourage Ted Talk.

Keep Johnny Drama's name out yo M'fn mouth 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Getting blown out by Obama in 08 made them abandon the notion of running on policies, and they switched to a full on strategy of spreading negativity and misery and trying to blame the Dems. How will they react to getting blown out again 16 years later?

Bingo. How dare the American people have the audacity to elect a negro. That caused the beginning of the tea party which morphed into the MAGAtards

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What if "death by lizard enslavement" is a sexual fantasy of yours?

The lizard-dildo of consequences rarely comes lubed, and it wouldn't matter if it did.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Pancho said:

Wait—again, hold the fucking phone.

If you would have told me 1 month ago that in a few weeks, Biden will step down and Harris will take over, Dems will reclaim camo hats, bring back old white guys from the rust belt and souf (tbd), sell out arenas, airport hangars, and Wisconsin dairy farms that people drove 4+ hours for, and flip the polling to Kamala fucking Harris up and even getting republican pollsters and analysts saying she’s in the driver’s seat now to win, I would have slapped you silly then made you buy the first round. 

This really feels crazy, even more crazy than 2008. 

Been a great fucking 2.5 weeks brother. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

The problem with this kind of fuckery is the SCOTUS decision to grant absolute immunity to POTUS

Imagine fuckery screws Harris.

Biden resigns as a lame duck.  

President Harris leans into SCOTUS opinion and undoes the fuckery and puts them all in prison.  

Profit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Trump STILL owes El Paso 569 thousand dollars.  He owes money to 11 other cities, too. Billings, Montana is waiting on 46 thousand dollars for his 2018 visit. Green Bay is waiting on 42,000 dollars.  If I'm Kamala, I take some of the money that is pouring in, go to those cities, and pay it for him. Then I say "Trump claims to be a billionaire. He claims to love America. Well apparently either he's not a billionaire or doesn't love America or both, because these cities have been waiting for six years for the money he owes them."  Then I have each rally start with a chant of "Pay your bills, Donald, Pay your bills!"

This is something that's easy enough to understand that even the most hardcore MAGA would have to admit that it's a good point.  He's rich. "We have to pay our bills. Why doesn't he?"

It's shooting fish in a barrel. 

There's so much, you can combine them. "On the other hand, he also owes half a billion to the state of New York for committing fraud, so maybe he's not really even rich?" 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This is something that's easy enough to understand that even the most hardcore MAGA would have to admit that it's a good point.  He's rich. "We have to pay our bills. Why doesn't he?"

You think that is the issue that would make MAGA actually recognize a good point or give a shit? He claimed not paying taxes made him smart...that was before the 2016 election.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Trump STILL owes El Paso 569 thousand dollars.  He owes money to 11 other cities, too. Billings, Montana is waiting on 46 thousand dollars for his 2018 visit. Green Bay is waiting on 42,000 dollars.  If I'm Kamala, I take some of the money that is pouring in, go to those cities, and pay it for him. Then I say "Trump claims to be a billionaire. He claims to love America. Well apparently either he's not a billionaire or doesn't love America or both, because these cities have been waiting for six years for the money he owes them."  Then I have each rally start with a chant of "Pay your bills, Donald, Pay your bills!"

It's shooting fish in a barrel. 

Do a series of rallies in all of the locations that he owes money, and each time pay your bill and his at the same time. 

Do it, and let the English see you do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Not only yes, but fuck yes. The symbolism of going to Green Bay and paying that 43 thousand dollars would be worth far more than that 43 thousand dollars could buy her in TV Ads. 

There is no symbolism because nobody is clamoring for that money. It’s gone, it’s forgotten, and it won’t move the needle 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This guy is a piece of shit.  Yeah, he's Trump's mouthpiece, but he would say these things even if he wasn't

That dude's head shape is wild. I seriously thought it was some mocking photoshop of someone else at first.

image.jpeg.c4269e93f60df0def4c4bd8c66ab7682.jpeg

220px-JabbaTheHutt.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Cap33 said:

About the necklace, yes, both it and her clothes from that shoot could have been on loan to the stylist. And there are many similar-looking necklaces out there that aren't $62K. It's pretty common to see a well-known Tiffany or Cartier design "duped" at a lower price. Just google Kamala's Tiffany necklace for them to appear ready to purchase for the low price of $165.

But I hope (and bet) it's fucking real and hers and that she keeps wearing it. And then I hope some TikTok account runs pictures of Melania carrying various Hermes handbags and talks about their price tags because each runs anywhere between $10K and $75K (or more). 

It's so stupid. Successful grown folks have good shit, and everyone knows that. 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Because he’s low energy 

My wife and I were talking about this today. I think he's either scared and depressed because of the turn of events of the last 2 weeks, has covid, or both.  I would be shocked if he dropped out of the race, but I don't think Scaramucci's speculation is the craziest thing I've heard, particularly given crowds at Harris events. They really don't matter a lot in terms of the elections but they matter a lot to President Trump.  If he's way behind in the polls in 3-4 weeks he's going to start looking for a face-saving option. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

That dude's head shape is wild. I seriously thought it was some mocking photoshop of someone else at first.

image.jpeg.c4269e93f60df0def4c4bd8c66ab7682.jpeg

220px-JabbaTheHutt.jpg

I thought it might be this guy for a moment:

image.jpeg.adcf197cecaf96bc16c27ad4345a8ddf.jpeg

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

https://www.theverge.com/24214575/tim-walz-uber-lyft-driver-pay-veto-vp-minnesota

Last year, when Minnesota’s progressive politicians coalesced around a bill to raise the minimum pay for Uber and Lyft drivers in the state, their ostensibly left-of-center governor surprised them all by pulling a move he had yet to use while in office: he vetoed it. 

Uber and Lyft were threatening to stop operating in Minnesota if the bill was signed into law, and Governor Tim Walz was worried about losing a mode of transportation that many Minnesotans relied on. But he also didn’t want to ostracize his progressive allies, many of whom have been laboring for years to force the multibillion-dollar ridehail companies to cough up a little more for their beleaguered drivers.

Now that he’s been catapulted to the national stage as Vice President Kamala Harris’ running mate, it’s worth reexamining how Walz navigated a tricky situation with two major tech companies and their progressive opponents — and how the ultimate solution left some major issues around the gig economy unaddressed. 

“I think these workers, these drivers in the gig economy — we’re looking at a brand new model of how things are done,” Walz told a local reporter in May 2023 after vetoing the initial legislation. “They’re independent contractors and I think there’s no doubt about it, there’s got to be some protections. There’s gotta be minimum wage, there’s got to be protections on how they get deactivated. So I’m in agreement with them. I don’t believe the vehicle that passed the legislature at the very end was the vehicle to do that.”

Supporters of the bill expressed their disappointment. The Minnesota Uber/Lyft Drivers Association said on X (then Twitter), “It is surprising that [Tim Walz] sides with corporates [sic] over poor drivers who campaigned and voted for him like he would be their savior.”

But their disappointment would be short-lived. A year later, Walz signed a bill into law that would raise pay for drivers by an estimated 20 percent while also providing a new type of insurance for injuries incurred on the job and making it harder for Uber and Lyft to deactivate drivers from their respective platforms.

Spoiler

Walz proved deft at handling the issue, signaling to Uber and Lyft that he was willing to compromise while also keeping progressive groups at the table. He formed a working group that was tasked with gathering data on driver pay and corporate profits, among other elements. To be sure, the new law didn’t raise driver pay as much as the original proposal — $1.28 per mile and 31 cents per minute, versus $1.40 per mile and 51 cents per minute. 

But it seemed to work. Uber and Lyft backed off their threat to leave the state. And Minnesota gained the distinction as only the second state in the US, after Washington state, to regulate rideshare driver pay through legislation. (New York’s attorney general announced minimum pay rates for drivers as part of a settlement with Uber and Lyft last year.)

Walz used the opportunity to tout his commitment to raising standards for working-class people while keeping transportation prices low for regular Minnesotans. “The idea that if you put in a hard day’s work, you get paid a fair wage for it,” he said at the bill signing ceremony on May 28th. “That at work you should be safe, you should be taken care of, and that we’re providing a service that Minnesotans depend on.

The new law also requires Uber and Lyft to provide insurance to drivers that goes beyond what’s already covered by their car insurance. (Drivers wanted insurance to cover injuries from assaults from riders, for example.) It also restricts how Uber and Lyft deactivate drivers from their platforms. 

But there are also some big pieces missing from the bill, such as anything that would require Uber and Lyft to classify its drivers as employees rather than independent contractors. Driver groups and labor organizers have been pushing states to reclassify drivers as employees so they can qualify for certain legal benefits, like minimum wage, overtime pay, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation, and paid sick leave. 

Uber and Lyft are extremely intent on keeping drivers as contractors. And Walz proved unwilling to tackle that particular issue, perhaps realizing that the courts would be the ultimate arbiters. 

Several courts have already weighed in on the debate, most notably in California, but Uber and Lyft have successfully beaten back such efforts through ballot initiatives. President Joe Biden’s Labor Department announced a final rule earlier this year that would make it harder to classify workers as independent contractors, effectively rescinding a Trump-era rule that would have relaxed those rules. But if Trump wins in November, those rules could swing back the other way

In the end, he got his deal, and Uber and Lyft vowed to stick around in Minnesota, mollifying concerns. It’s unclear whether Walz’s involvement in any way played a role in his selection as the vice presidential nominee. After all, the Harris campaign has its own ties to the ridehail industry. Harris’ brother-in-law and top advisor is Tony West, who is also the general counsel at Uber. And the vice president recently hired David Plouffe, a veteran of the Obama administration and a former vice president of strategy at Uber, to help run her presidential campaign. 

The deal won by Walz was not without its critics. Niko LeMieux, cofounder and COO of the Minnesota-based payments startup Easy Labs, criticized Walz for his dismissive attitude toward smaller rideshare companies that wanted to fill the vacuum if Uber and Lyft followed through on their threat to leave the state. Walz called the idea that any new app company could replace the rideshare giants “magical thinking,” but LeMieux argued that he was underselling the state’s entrepreneurial spirit. 

But those criticisms were set aside when Harris announced Walz as her pick. Hours after the announcement, LeMieux posted a photo of himself on X with his arm draped around the governor and a big smile on his face. After all, the past was in the past. And Walz was on his way to bigger things.

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's so stupid. Successful grown folks have good shit, and everyone knows that. 

My wife and I were talking about this today. I think he's either scared and depressed because of the turn of events of the last 2 weeks, has covid, or both.  I would be shocked if he dropped out of the race, but I don't think Scaramucci's speculation is the craziest thing I've heard, particularly given crowds at Harris events. They really don't matter a lot in terms of the elections but they matter a lot to President Trump.  If he's way behind in the polls in 3-4 weeks he's going to start looking for a face-saving option. 

the Trump brand will die with him 

he wasn’t expecting that

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1