2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Lulz at Trump dropping out.  This is all he has in life.  If not for doing the "Jerking Off Two Guys" dance at rallies, what does he have left?

Not to mention the staying out of prison part

Just now, WBT said:

Not to mention the staying out of prison part

“Well look what happens for the Dems when Biden dropped out. If I do the same, Vance will win and pardon me”

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, babysdaddy said:

Current 538 polling has Harris up 2.2 nationally.  On 8/8/2020 Biden was up 7.8.  Momentum is in Harris favor obviously but as the great Winston Wolf once said, let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet.

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Fuck off Steph. We all remember you willingly lying for that orange piece of shit. You own a part of the idiocy that is trump/maga. I hope she gets run over by a garbage truck. Cunt. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Current 538 polling has Harris up 2.2 nationally.  On 8/8/2020 Biden was up 7.8.  Momentum is in Harris favor obviously but as the great Winston Wolf once said, let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet.

She's been the presumed candidate for 17 days.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

What does this mean exactly?

Seems like I've seen that "she won't answer questions" or something. No idea what they're talking about. They've been kinda busy, lol.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

She needs to do sit down interviews and press conferences, I guess. 

Like said above, she's been kind of busy getting a campaign off the ground in 17 days, introducing herself to voters and picking a running mate. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It means Benjy has a hard time expressing himself, and randomly strings words together that dont say anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Js1 said:

Like said above, she's been kind of busy getting a campaign off the ground in 17 days, introducing herself to voters and picking a running mate. 

Seems dumb to bitch about right now. Given she has basically 3 months to get this thing going she's making the right move campaigning now. There will be a time to sit down and do an interview come September.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

In all fairness, he might sell out Kyle.

100,000 people didn't even vote in Brazos County in 2020. 

They'll all be driving over from Montgomery County I guess.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Benjy, I'm sure Harris and Walz will be happy to stuff you in a locker.

Benjy asked Vance some real hard hitting stuff the other day about Magic the Gathering and Ohio State football.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Traveling around with a bunch of reporters on her plane. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh here we go

It takes a special kind of human to witness the essentially unprecedented campaign transformation that Kamala has provided over the last few weeks and think "if she wants to win, she should do what I want her to do."

• Hook 'Em 6

30 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

For a milquetoast politician, Biden really did a number on these people.

They're still spending an amazing amount of time and energy talking about Joe Biden and not Kamala or Walz. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Kamala needs to do whatever she wants,  keep quiet and doing rallies while Trump and JV keep opening their mouths and looking like morons.

Exactly. Don’t let their bullshit influence your actions. They don’t know any other way because their actions are often dictated by bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He rose defiant from the bullet graze of an attempted assassination, hoisting his fist in the air with a unified party at his back, a growing lead in the polls, dissolving criminal prosecutions

image.gif.5478e54a9b9212e9b110b571c78e9c2b.gif

All of it, but especially the bolded. Hmm, what happened there?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Gee, what a shame Part 2

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/how-harris-surge-scrambled-trumps-battle-plan-2024-08-08/

How the Harris surge scrambled Trump's battle plan

Reveal hidden contents

"It's clear to everyone she could win," said one senior Trump adviser, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to more freely discuss internal deliberations.
When asked about the prospects of a shrinking battleground map, the Trump team said its strategy hadn't changed since Harris became the Democratic candidate.

"Team Trump has ads in every battleground state, we have expanded the political map to include traditional 'blue states' like Minnesota and Virginia with staff on the ground," Republican Party spokesperson Anna Kelly said.

Ammar Moussa, a Harris campaign spokesman, said Trump and Vance were taking the country backwards, while Harris was taking the country forwards. He did not address the electoral map.

The Trump sources Reuters spoke to pointed to three issues: delays in rolling out attack ads against Harris, which are seen as key for pointing out an opponent's perceived weaknesses; doubts among some Republican leaders and donors over the selection of Senator JD Vance as running mate; and concerns over Trump himself as he tramples over his advisers' efforts to define Harris based on her policy positions.

One source said the anti-Harris ads had been slow to air in part because the material had to be run by focus groups first.

The campaign also wanted to see who Harris would pick as her running mate, according to the source briefed on the plans.

Harris this week announced Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, a plain-speaking midwesterner, as her vice presidential candidate.

MAY MEMO
By late May, the Trump campaign had started gaming out the possibility that Harris or another Democrat could replace Biden at the top of the ticket, according to an internal memo from campaign staffer Austin McCubbin shared with senior advisers.

The 12-page memo, which was reviewed by Reuters, outlined the Democratic Party's rules for replacing a presidential candidate and possible scenarios, including Biden stepping down voluntarily and an "insider rebellion."

The memo did not detail how to respond to a Harris candidacy.

Tony Fabrizio, a Trump campaign pollster, predicted in a memo released to the press last month that Harris would enjoy a short-term polling boost, but that the race would then settle down. "Harris' 'honeymoon' will end and voters will refocus on her role as Biden's partner and co-pilot," he wrote in the memo.

In the lead-up to Biden's exit, the Trump-aligned MAGA Inc super PAC readied a TV ad accusing Harris of covering up Biden's infirmity. It began airing in four swing states on July 21, the day Biden announced that he was ending his reelection campaign.

At the same time, the campaign found itself on the defensive over Trump's selection of Vance as his running mate.

Vance has faced a wave of negative press over past comments referring to some Democrats, including Harris, as "a bunch of childless cat ladies," an insult seen as misogynistic and dismissive of people without children.

The Republican National Committee and the campaign have been fielding calls from some donors who fear Vance has become a distraction and is dragging the ticket down, according to two sources aware of the calls.

As the campaign focuses on a smaller map, Vance is expected to spend more time in relatively conservative and rural places, particularly in Rust Belt states, like Michigan and Pennsylvania, where his rural roots and concerns about industrial decay are more likely to resonate with voters, according to four sources close to the campaign or vice presidential candidate.

This week, Vance has held press conferences near Harris-Walz campaign events in Wisconsin and Michigan.

TRUMP ATTACKS HARRIS - AND HIS ALLIES
And then there is Trump's resort to name-calling instead of focusing on Harris' policy positions. Trump has cycled furiously through a series of personal insults against Harris. Those efforts have generated negative headlines - about Trump, rather than Harris.

At an event for the National Association of Black Journalists last week, Trump questioned whether Harris - whose mother was born in India and whose father was born in Jamaica - was actually Black. That left donors and aides baffled and alarmed, according to a Republican donor, an operative at a pro-Trump super PAC spending group, and a Trump-supporting union leader.

Three days later, Trump attacked Georgia's Republican governor, Brian Kemp, at a rally, possibly alienating a popular figure in a battleground state where Trump could need help mobilizing voters to the polls.

Trump has also been firing off multiple, convoluted missives on his Truth Social app, including one on Tuesday in which he mused about Biden returning to the top of the ticket.

In the spring and earlier this summer, as public opinion polls showed Trump expanding his lead over Biden in battleground states, the former president did events in what had been considered safe Democratic areas – Minnesota, Virginia, even New York City – in a bid to expand the electoral map.

By last Saturday, Trump was back to basics: campaigning in Georgia, where polls showed the race had tightened after Harris' entry.

The state is going to be fiercely competitive, with Trump clinging to a slight edge thanks to support from some Black voters, said Mark Rountree, a Georgia pollster who is not affiliated with either campaign.

And Trump is getting outspent on campaign ads in battleground states, according to AdImpact, a firm that tracks campaign ad spending.

Harris and affiliated committees have outspent Trump and his allies $112 million to $70.1 million on ads since July 22, according to AdImpact data, although Trump has matched Harris' outlays in Pennsylvania, perhaps the most crucial state for each side.

In terms of future reservations of TV air time, Harris and her allies are swamping Trump $172.4 million to $71.8 million as of this week, the firm said, although those figures are likely to change in the coming weeks.

Perhaps most telling was the Trump campaign's significant new ad buy in North Carolina, which had looked likely to remain Republican until Harris' ascension energized Black and young voters.

"They're putting money in there now in the hope she decides to leave it alone," said Justin Sayfie, a Republican lobbyist and Trump fundraiser.

However, the Harris campaign is already up on the air in the state.

image.gif.3d9709d16d8af71bdb33d2b65208208a.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Kamala needs to do whatever she wants,  keep quiet and doing rallies while Trump and JV keep opening their mouths and looking like morons.

How often do Vice Presidents hold press conferences? Candidate Harris is campaigning. She’s got a pretty full plate right now. But if a lull happens to present itself then VP Harris should probably take the advantage of using some official press briefings as de facto campaign appearances. Get some fee exposure. Just do it on her terms and ignore the sniping coming from the Trump campaign. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Kind of like the comment about watching Coach Dale Brown across the basketball court and knowing that even if you’re behind by 30, you got a shot!  Elmo venturing in politics is just like that.  

So while Trump will never back out, he might get a war with Elmo if both narcissists are in the same room together long enough. 

This is quite the 80s/90s basketball deep cut. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Walz then gave up alcohol and passed the Clean Slate Act in MN to help those with records have them sealed to they can get jobs and shit.

See, I keep reading shit like this and just love the guy more.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

White Surly folks—I need this energy for all of you:

This here white surly folk isn't on twitter.  But I am in the ear of some of my less enlightened friends all the time.  Pretty sure I've flipped at least one and gotten a few to view their trusted media sources with a more critical eye.  Doesn't matter because Florida.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Cheney had 2.  GWB had 1

Walz then gave up alcohol and passed the Clean Slate Act in MN to help those with records have them sealed to they can get jobs and shit.

Laura Bush killed someone with a car. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I need to rewatch Veep.

I heard this via some in the weeds election podcast at some point in the last couple months, so no link, but evidently there is some research that indicates that outside of specific circumstances - mainly, holding rallies in competitive/purple areas - there actually isn't much polling/electoral performance impact.

But in general I agree with you. MAGA is melting down. Rallies are far from glorious at this point and Trump has had a lot more time to sit around think about the attempt on his life than when he had to turn right around into the convention.

Good, if they don't show up for his rallies, maybe they won't show up to the polls.  I'm hoping Trump's lack of campaigning really cuts into their enthusiasm to vote. 

Reminds me of a saying--you keep knocking on the devil's door long enough, and sooner or later someone's going to answer you.  A lunatic answered the door and Trump's orange ass got shot at.  Let's see how bright he is and if he keeps knocking.    

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Who was the guy on here who said Kamala needed to be softer with her immigration rhetoric?  lmao

I was the guy who said she needs to be careful with immigration, that it is a wedge issue, and therefore adopting Biden's "toughest" policy as the centerpiece of her campaign would be a mistake. It makes sense that she was addressing the issue with targeted internet ads rather than widespread TV buys.  

But, holy shit, a tech bro put numbers, and colors, and noticed it was an effective attack on the Dems. I take back everything I said. She should really do everything she can to make sure this wedge issue is what the election is decided on.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I was the guy who said she needs to be careful with immigration, that it is a wedge issue, and therefore adopting Biden's "toughest" policy as the centerpiece of her campaign would be a mistake. It makes sense that she was addressing the issue with targeted internet ads rather than widespread TV buys.  

But, holy shit, a tech bro put numbers, and colors, and noticed it was an effective attack on the Dems. I take back everything I said. She should really do everything she can to make sure this wedge issue is what the election is decided on.  

Just talk about what’s in the bipartisan border bill that Trump killed.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Just talk about what’s in the bipartisan border bill that Trump killed.

Yep.  Chainsaw will throw a tantrum, but the polling had everything in that bill very popular with Americans. 

19c085b0-e22c-11ee-affe-3d426c81a1e9

• Hook 'Em 6