2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

You know, I've always said that the Immaculate Contraception was my favorite contraception.  Maybe the best contraception of all time.  I used to read Corinthians 2: Electric Boogaloo to Ivanka while she sat on my lap, and it tells you all about it.  I love Jesus, really, I do.  Man, Jesus, lamp, person.  Covfefe.

You're getting a little too good at this.  Gotta admit, I'm a fan. 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Good God, is it even possible for Trump to lose NewsMax?  I think the media that traditionally panders to the R is beginning to realize an angry non-President Trump is better for their bottom line vs dictator trump actually at the helm.  I mean, wtf else explains some of the pot shots they're taking at dotard? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Js1 said:

4 years of a black woman as POTUS will have Fox News/News Max/OAN like: 

season 11 episode 22 GIF

It's true.  The folks running those networks are not the dumb rubes watching those networks.  Have to step back and remember that sometimes... The people running it are the truly evil POS out there but maybe, just maybe, in this one instance we can take a W from the assholes. 

1 minute ago, TexasHooch said:

Totally normal political discourse.

image.png.f22f2760fb7208943e0c02720393e585.png

I'm sure he would, if he could ever dig his tiny penis out of his fat folds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

When do Kamala/Biden/AG start coming out with warnings to all the maga local election boards and others that plan to hold up certifications and other ways to challenge election results that fuckery is illegal, you won’t have an immunity option because you aren’t POTUS, and we will put you all in jail - if you fuck around with our election you will absolutely find out.

Seems like that oughta be a clear message that’s sent. A lot.

Because you absolutely know plans for fuckery are in the works.

There’s this. Michael Luttig and Jeh Johnson appeared on Deadline White House yesterday to talk about it. I’m not filled with confidence by it, just reporting what I saw.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/01/us/politics/american-bar-association-democracy.html

Bipartisan Legal Group Urges Lawyers to Defend Against ‘Rising Authoritarianism’

An American Bar Association task force of prominent legal thinkers gestures at former President Trump without naming him.

By Charlie Savage

Aug. 1, 2024

A bipartisan American Bar Association task force is calling on lawyers across the country to do more to help protect democracy ahead of the 2024 election, warning in a statement to be delivered Friday at the group’s annual meeting in Chicago that the nation faces a serious threat in “rising authoritarianism.”

The statement by a panel of prominent legal thinkers and other public figures — led by J. Michael Luttig, a conservative former federal appeals court judge appointed by President George Bush, and Jeh C. Johnson, a Homeland Security secretary during the Obama administration — does not mention by name former President Donald J. Trump.

But in raising alarms, the panel appeared to be clearly referencing Mr. Trump’s attempt to subvert his loss of the 2020 election, which included attacks on election workers who were falsely accused by Mr. Trump and his supporters of rigging votes and culminated in the violent attack on the Capitol by his supporters on Jan. 6, 2021.

“For the first time in our history, we did not have a peaceful transition of power in our last presidential election,” says the lengthy statement, an advance copy of which was obtained by The New York Times.

Mr. Trump told The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in May that he would not commit to accepting the results of the 2024 election.

“If everything’s honest, I’ll gladly accept the results. I don’t change on that,” Mr. Trump said. “If it’s not, you have to fight for the right of the country.”

In a joint interview, Judge Luttig and Mr. Johnson said their panel, called the Task Force for American Democracy, has been working for the past year, including meeting with election officials around the country, and developed what they described as a 90-page report proposing structural changes to strengthen elections on matters like the Electoral College and state voting systems.

But after the attempted assassination of Mr. Trump last month, they said it was too volatile a time to unveil that broader work. Instead, they decided to save it until 2025 and make a shorter statement at the annual meeting of the A.B.A. about what matters most for democracy in the next three months.

Mr. Johnson said the statement does not mention Mr. Trump by name because protecting democracy should be a bipartisan effort.

Judge Luttig — who has harshly criticized Mr. Trump, including in testimony before the House committee that investigated the Jan. 6 riot — said concerns about the state of American democracy stemmed from the actions of Mr. Trump and “his Republicans,” but that it was important “not to paint all Republicans with the brush of Donald Trump.” 

The statement specifically urges the more than 1.3 million Americans with law degrees to see it as their responsibility to help defend democracy and the rule of law at a time of misinformation, extreme polarization and the “normalization of political violence” including threats against “elected officials, members of the judicial branch and election workers.”

“Too many of us have taken our democracy, our rule of law, our civic norms and our freedoms for granted and have not done the hard work required to keep a free and fair democratic republic. The threats we are facing are real and they are existential,” it says, suggesting steps like volunteering to serve with the Election Official Legal Defense Network.

The A.B.A. describes itself as the largest voluntary association of lawyers in the world. While its democracy task force includes a number of liberals, it also includes conservatives mainly associated with the Republican Party before Mr. Trump transformed it.

Other conservative-associated members include Thomas B. Griffith, a retired federal appeals court judge; Maureen O’Connor, a former Ohio Supreme Court chief justice; Carly Fiorina, a businesswoman who ran in the 2016 G.O.P. primary; Bill Kristol, a commentator and former chief of staff to Vice President Dan Quayle; Larry Thompson, a former deputy attorney general; and Benjamin L. Ginsberg, a Republican election lawyer.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yep, it was a grassroot meme that spread up

This appears to be coming straight from Trump's campaign via Jr

Trump losing the dumbass incel vote would be fatal

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

These juvenile "jokes" seem to me indicate that the core constituency of the Republican Party are self-hating closeted white gay males and the women who lie to themselves about their husbands being straight every day and subjecting themselves to deeply unsatisfying sex on a regular basis.

Both these men and women are becoming more and more hateful every day that passes where they see people dating and marrying whoever the fuck they want and being happy as a result.

"We followed the rules and married someone we didn't love, why can't they."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Cross tabs, grain of salt, whatnot

Harris 49.2, Trump 43.6, RFK 3.9

Amodei only up 4.4 in an R+8 district
Titus up 5.7 in a D+3 district
Lee up 6.1 up in a D+1 district
Horsford up 4.3 in a D+3 district

Seems reasonable to me. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

They are a mess

It has been the total opposite of a shit show. The only controversy with a VP pick worth talking about is Vance writing the forward in Kevin Roberts bullshit book. 

While both pretend to not know what project 2025 is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I want to see more poles!

Things the US Men's Indoor VB team isn't saying after the other day

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

You know, 40 years ago Elizabeth Warren put "Native American" on a form and for the rest of her life she's Pocahontas. Trump stands up there and spews probably hundreds of lies, including a weird made-up story about almost dying in a helicopter crash, and.... well, basically nothing.

"Wow, Trump sure was angry today. Is this good for his campaign to show that kind of fight?" 

Paradox of choice.  Like going to a buffet.  Which wild ass lie/story do you pin him with a nickname for when there are just too many fucking options.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I saw a funny tweet that I can't find now to repost but it was basically, "Kamala looks like a homicide detective rolling up to the uniforms on her 3rd murder call of the day". 

She does have a "I could slide right in as a character on a Law and Order show" quality to her look.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Constant said:

It has been the total opposite of a shit show. The only controversy with a VP pick worth talking about is Vance writing the forward in Kevin Roberts bullshit book. 

Well also Vance's friendship with a holocaust denier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Walz needs to show his closet full of camo. Guaranteed he owns more camo than any GQP politician. 

How could you see it?

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

These juvenile "jokes" seem to me indicate that the core constituency of the Republican Party are self-hating closeted white gay males and the women who lie to themselves about their husbands being straight every day and subjecting themselves to deeply unsatisfying sex on a regular basis.

Both these men and women are becoming more and more hateful every day that passes where they see people dating and marrying whoever the fuck they want and being happy as a result.

That, and every accusation is a confession.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cygnal did a poll for the Carolina Journal (leans right) for North Carolina.  Cygnal is a GOP polling organization, so grain of salt on a partisan poll

Trump 47, Harris 44
Stein 43, Robinson 38

• Hook 'Em 1