2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Celine: I did not authorize the Trump campaign to use my song. This song has already been used as the soundtrack for one major American catastrophe and I do not wish to lend it to another. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

And, that is at least the second time they hit a Mexican restaurant in Arizona, taking pictures with the Latino staff.  It's a great way to reframe the discussion on immigrants.  It also doesn't hurt in Nevada and the importance on the hospitality sector.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tuco said:

And, that is at least the second time they hit a Mexican restaurant in Arizona, taking pictures with the Latino staff.  It's a great way to reframe the discussion on immigrants.  It also doesn't hurt in Nevada and the importance on the hospitality sector.  

They got the culinary union endorsement already. One of the biggest orgs in Nevada that does door knocking. They have always been key to wins by running up margins in Vegas for Dems 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

My hope is that when he comes unhinged, he starts naming judges that personally owe him first, and second, that he calls out Congress critters similarly.   

What about this timeline has convinced you that this will make any difference--or lead to any consequences--whatsoever?

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

If a song is in the public domain, how can you stop someone from playing it?

I mean I’m sure it came off someone’s Spotify account.

It's not in the public domain.  I think Celine needs to be dead for like 50 years before the copyright expires. (She only looks like she's been dead for a while.)  But, to your point, assuming the rally wasn't charging fees, I don't think there is much an artist can do about controlling where it gets played.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm just imagining the phishing email subject lines lmao 

I’m sure the MTG DICK AND VAGINA PICS is the one that got the most clicks

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It's not in the public domain.  I think Celine needs to be dead for like 50 years before the copyright expires. (She only looks like she's been dead for a while.)  But, to your point, assuming the rally wasn't charging fees, I don't think there is much an artist can do about controlling where it gets played.  

I think TwiceHorn is ultimately a copywrite guy and I know just enough to know there is a whole "fair use" thing that comes into play that makes this all a gray area.  I know in the past one of the arguments musicians have made is that just having their work associated with a particular politician damages the market, and future revenue potential of that work but I'm way out over my skis in anything beyond what I have read here and there when this issue has come up in the past.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Anyone else seeing anything on this?

Trump hacked?

The campaign blamed “foreign sources hostile to the United States,” citing a Microsoft report on Friday that Iranian hackers “sent a spear phishing email in June to a high-ranking official on a presidential campaign.” Microsoft did not identify the campaign targeted by the email and declined to comment Saturday. POLITICO has not independently verified the identity of the hacker or their motivation, and a Trump campaign spokesperson, Steven Cheung, declined to say if they had further information substantiating the campaigns’ suggestion that it was targeted by Iran.

Pre-emptive “But his emails!!”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

Every Trump ad is trying to portray Kamala as weak on the border. In Pennsylvania…

The last one was an ER nurse claiming that illegals are clogging up the ERs decreasing the quality of care and driving up cost. And it’s all Kamala’s fault. 

She’s the most powerful VP in history. More powerful than Dick Cheney. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

That turnip golf cart video is about a month old yet people are posting it today as if it just happened. 

Please be more like Bill in Sinton when it comes to this race 

It feels gross to those of us who aren't pieces of shit. But flooding the zone with misleading bullshit actually helps. The last decade should have proven that to anyone. The only job is to win.

Once we reset the nation to not quite as shitty then winning the right way can be a thing to worry about again. But when the alternative is what it is right now, fuck the right way. Like Snoop Dogg said "Al Davis said it best just win, baby, win."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, but he's been flailing and unhinged the whole time.  He definitely spiraling on a personal level, but I don't think that means he can't win.  He's still capable of pressing the right buttons on camera, as we saw in the debate.

I guess my main concern is this: I've said all along that I believe Trump still has a silent voting bloc that does not show up in the polls, but will show up on election day, again.  And I just don't trust young liberals to show up at the same level.  I think this election may be as simple as voter turnout, and there are things Republicans can and will do to interfere with that, compounding the natural laxness of a couple of generations behind us.

This should be a W.  But I just can't feel too good about it yet.  Trump is cagey and willing to fight dirty, and Democrats have blown layups before.

Did you watch his tirade about Biden announcing at the DNC he wants back in  the race so he can debate Trump? And trump basically grunting the word Iowa? That crowd is what’s left of his die hards and they were dumbfounded 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What about this timeline has convinced you that this will make any difference--or lead to any consequences--whatsoever?

I want him to name names.  Regardless of consequences, the light needs to shine on these cockroaches. I want them to defend their decisions against democracy publicly.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

I want him to name names.  Regardless of consequences, the light needs to shine on these cockroaches. I want them to defend their decisions against democracy publicly.  

Whether they face any consequences themselves, I want everyone in power that allowed Trump to trample all over democracy to be exposed so that at the very least they are forever recorded in history books.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

MAGA dies when enough Republicans decide it's dead.  At some point, non-MAGA Republicans need to take over the party, despite losing MAGAts.  If they lose badly enough, then the damage from keeping MAGA will prove to be more than the damage from rejecting MAGA.  That is my hope, one that seemed impossible a month ago.   

The question is can the currently constructed modern Republican Party hold itself together if it loses 2 elections in a row after a miracle win 8 years ago and 4 potential losses in the last 16 years to the first black president, grandpa Biden and the first female president who is also black 

If the GOP apparatus decides to dump Trumpism, Trump will walk away and take his MAGA followers with him. What does the 2025 Republican Party look like? Just more Trumpism or do what’s left of the sane ones grab control?

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The question is can the currently constructed modern Republican Party hold itself together if it loses 2 elections in a row after a miracle win 8 years ago and 4 potential losses in the last 16 years to the first black president, grandpa Biden and the first female president who is also black 

If the GOP apparatus decides to dump Trumpism, Trump will walk away and take his MAGA followers with him. What does the 2025 Republican Party look like? Just more Trumpism or do what’s left of the sane ones grab control?

I say no

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Will Politico publish them?  I assume Hillary's [the DNC's] went to Wikileaks because most news agencies wouldn't publish them, unless someone else does.  

they went to wikileaks because assange was a russian mouthpiece.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I say no

I don’t think it survives as is. The infighting is going to be special. Unless things are bad for 4 years, like a recession or new war, no way the GOP gets itself together by 2028

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think it survives as is. The infighting is going to be special. Unless things are bad for 4 years, like a recession or new war, no way the GOP gets itself together by 2028

The GOP will never get past MAGA unless Trump is dead. If they couldn’t drop him after J6 AND 34 FELONIES, they aren’t dropping him after 2 losses in a row. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1