2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Just now, MrBig said:

The GOP will never get past MAGA unless Trump is dead. If they couldn’t drop him after J6 AND 34 FELONIES, they aren’t dropping him after 2 losses in a row. 

They are going to try and go back to McCain/Romney-style "compassionate conservatism" and courting Latino voters the way they used to, by toning way down the racism. It won't work but I think thats what their overpaid advisors will try

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

They are going to try and go back to McCain/Romney-style "compassionate conservatism" and courting Latino voters the way they used to, by toning way down the racism. It won't work but I think thats what their overpaid advisors will try

Yep. They’ll try to moderate with Haley/Rubio types and try to win back suburban moderates, which will Completely alienate the MAGATs

• Hook 'Em 2

Gee, imagine that

https://www.mediaite.com/online/its-now-impossible-to-search-old-trump-tweets-on-x/

It’s a common practice whenever former President Donald Trump makes a comment on a topic to check and see what he said about it before, but if you want to check his old tweets, that’s no longer possible on The Platform Formerly Known as Twitter, rebranded as X after Elon Musk’s tumultuous takeover.

Normally, if you conduct a search on X, either using the “search” window on the upper right of the web-based version or the “Explore” tab that’s on both the web and app version, you can refine your search several ways, including just including tweets by a specific user, restrict which dates to search, and search for certain words or phrases.

One way to access this is by typing in the search window “from:[username without the “@” symbol]” and then whatever terms you wish to find. For example, if I wanted to search for tweets by President Joe Biden about ice cream, I can search for “from:joebiden ice cream,” or I can find my own tweets about my orange tabby cat, Queso, by searching “from:rumpfshaker #quesothecat.” It’s pretty simple and you can customize it by searching for hashtags or by using quotation marks to search exact phrases, and so on.

You can also access user-based searches through the “Advanced Search” function available at https://x.com/search-advanced, where you can search for specific words, phrases, or hashtags, sent to or from specific accounts.

Neither of these options work for Trump’s old tweets.

This reporter first noticed the inability to search Trump’s tweets while researching his past comments about the stock market for an article on Monday (the tweets I included in that article were not found on Twitter, but by Googling for old articles that mentioned Trump tweets).

Searching for any past mention of the words “stock,” “stocks,” or “stock market” by @realdonaldtrump through the Advanced Search function brings back zero results.

stockmarket-search.jpg

Oddly, searching with the search window using “from:realdonaldtrump” and then looking for words like “stock,” “stocks,” or “stock market” brings back a chronologically-out-of-order selection of old Trump tweets that do not contain those search terms.

quick-search-stocks.jpg

Spoiler

Trump’s account was suspended in the wake of the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol, but was later reinstated by Musk. He has not posted anything new since regaining his account except for one tweet about his mugshot on Aug. 24, 2023, but the old tweets do remain up and publicly viewable.

Searching for tweets by other accounts known to have been suspended and not reinstated, like “Stop the Steal” organizer Ali Alexander (also known as Ali Akbar), account @ali, brings up zero results. Akbar was suspended after shocking allegations that he solicited nude photos from teenagers.

The account for conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, @realalexjones, who was suspended and then reinstated, is fully searchable. For example, here are the search results for tweets by Jones that mention “Sandy Hook,” “Nick Fuentes,” and frogs.

Note that Vice President Kamala Harris’ tweets remain searchable as usual. Here are her tweets mentioning “Trump” or “Biden,” for example.

Mediaite spoke by telephone to a software engineer who specializes in query algorithms about what was going on with the search function, and why Trump’s old tweets might no longer be searchable. He asked to remain anonymous in order to talk about a political candidate without professional repercussions.

According to the software engineer, Twitter/X has long used GraphQL as the data query language to manage searches on the social media platform. He was able to replicate the same issue I had with searches for old Trump tweets coming up either with zero results or with a seemingly random collection of non-responsive results, and noted that for other previously suspended accounts, when the account was restored, “their index reappears as well,” making the old tweets once again searchable.

“So, Trump’s stuff should be there?” I asked.

“Yes,” he replied. “This was deliberate.”

He explained that X must have either made the decision to not restore a searchable tweet index for restored accounts and then made an exception for Jones (despite the offensive content of many of his past tweets), or they do restore the searchable index of tweets for unsuspended accounts “but then purged Trump.”

Of course, Twitter/X itself is not the only place to find old Trump tweets. One free and searchable resource is the “Trump Twitter Archive,” which was created by a programmer who identified himself as “Brendan” and contains all old Trump tweets — even some deleted ones. The only exception so far is the Aug. 2023 mugshot tweet, which was posted after Musk changed the platform’s API and blocked that method of automatically scraping tweets.

Rick Wilson, the co-founder of the anti-Trump PAC The Lincoln Project, confirmed to Mediaite that their tech staff had collected Trump’s tweets as well. “We have them,” he said. Undoubtedly many other journalists, investigators, and activists have downloaded and archived the ex-president’s tweets as well.

So why would Musk’s platform block searches of Trump tweets, if they’re already out there and saved by the former president’s foes, plus posted online on other platforms?

One explanation may be connected to Special Counsel Jack Smith’s ongoing criminal prosecutions of the former president. Trump’s tweets — including a now-deleted one from Jan. 6, 2021 at 2:24 pm ET, in the midst of the rioting, in which he infamously wrote that Vice President “Mike Pence didn’t have the courage” to refuse to certify the election — have already been part of the evidence presented by the Jan. 6 House Select Committee and are undoubtedly part of Smith’s investigatory work as well.

Musk endorsed Trump in the aftermath of the assassination attempt and has taken to posting and promoting attacks on Harris, often including false or misleading content. It is not illogical to suspect he would not want to cooperate with any efforts to access Twitter data to prosecute Trump, including both his public tweets and any direct messages he may have sent to other users or communications with anyone at Twitter.

Unfortunately for Musk and his preferred presidential candidate, The New York Times reported a year ago that unsealed hearing transcripts from the case revealed that Smith’s office had indeed obtained “a trove” of Trump’s direct messages and drafts:

In one of the transcripts, a lawyer for Twitter, answering questions from Judge Howell, confirmed that the company had turned over to the special counsel’s office “all direct messages, the DMs” from Mr. Trump’s Twitter account, including those sent, received and “stored in draft form.”

The lawyer for Twitter told Judge Howell that the company had found both “deleted” and “nondeleted” direct messages associated with Mr. Trump’s account…

The court papers unsealed on Tuesday revealed that Mr. Smith’s prosecutors sought “all content, records and other information” related to Mr. Trump’s Twitter account from October 2020 to January 2021, including all tweets “created, drafted, favorited/liked or retweeted” by the account and all direct messages sent from, received by or stored in draft form by the account.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, BrickHorn said:

I’d take it. Although I will never support a right wing party again, it would be great to return to the days when Republican victory did not mean the imminent doom of American democracy.

+1. I'll never vote Republican, but damn what I would do to have Romney or McCain on the other side of the ticket nowadays. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Politico reports that it was sent communications from inside the Trumpcampaign, including Sen. J.D. Vance’s (R-OH) 271-page vetting file, allegedly by an Iranian hacker.

The outlet said that it has been receiving anonymous emails containing internal communications from the Trump campaign. The campaign acknowledged the authenticity of the communications on Saturday, accusing “foreign sources hostile to the United States,” for leaking 

“But his emails!!!

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2024 at 1:33 PM, Constant said:

Longing for his beautiful sofa they had to move for the press conference. 

On 8/8/2024 at 1:34 PM, tx ind said:

sofa!

Goddammit, you guys... stop

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How would anyone know the difference 

Yeah, this.  In past two weeks, he’s played golf, posted on Truth a lot, held a singular bizarre press conference, and then flew around montAna in circles to avoid paying for fuel which reminds me of when my mom got older and would spend like $4 in fuel to get two counties over to save 3cents/gallon.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

The Trump presidency will be like the confederacy.  It only lasted four years but it'll take some people generations to get over.

Think of all the high schools in Alabama and Mississippi that will be named after Donald Trump over the next 30 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The Trump presidency will be like the confederacy.  It only lasted four years but it'll take some people generations to get over.

30 years from now, there will be folks in their mid-60's wearing their maga shit with pride.  

• Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

My guess is this is not happening at Trump “rallies”

Campaign reports surge of volunteer sign-ups

People attending Friday’s Harris-Walz campaign rally didn’t just show up, cheer and go home.

The campaign reported that 3,000 volunteer shifts were filled by attendees as they left Desert Diamond Arena, a sign of momentum, said Jacques Petit, communications director for the Harris campaign in Arizona.

“This rate of sign-ups is higher than we’d expect for attendees at a rally, as opposed to a canvass kickoff or a local organizing event,” Petit said.

More than 20,000 volunteers have signed up in Arizona since July 21, when President Biden announced he would not seek reelection, Petit said.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

"I'm here to understand. Please explain why you're a piece of shit moron."

Yeah after 10 years of their bullshit and attempts to end democracy, they can eat a dick. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The question is can the currently constructed modern Republican Party hold itself together if it loses 2 elections in a row after a miracle win 8 years ago and 4 potential losses in the last 16 years to the first black president, grandpa Biden and the first female president who is also black 
If the GOP apparatus decides to dump Trumpism, Trump will walk away and take his MAGA followers with him. What does the 2025 Republican Party look like? Just more Trumpism or do what’s left of the sane ones grab control?

What will happen is they will go fetal and lick their wounds and wait until Democrats ultimately fuck this up. Everybody is in line right now and I’m here for it. But…..

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

What will happen is they will go fetal and lick their wounds and wait until Democrats ultimately fuck this up. Everybody is in line right now and I’m here for it. But…..

You really think Trump, Marge, Boobert, Cruz, Tuberville, etc. will just go quiet under a Harris admin? It’s going to get ugly 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

What does senate and house elections look like? What's projected?

Dem House most likely, toss up senate. Senate depends on Montana/Ohio or flipping TX or FL to make up for one or both 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Don't worry guys!! They're going to rally!!!

image.thumb.png.e84b12cc4055b912fe02fd1874eea0f2.png

Dry run attempt of over throwing the government and beating more people to death? Fix some errors that occurred last time.  

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I was a MAGA activist and pundit, and left MAGA, in 2022, after 7 years in it. If The Atlantic might consider a personal piece from me, Peter, let me know, please. What MAGA Americans need to see is others like them—who support(ed) Trump and MAGA for what they thought were the right reasons—who made the decision to leave MAGA; and, the reasons why they left. MAGA Americans remain in MAGA because it is a community. For those with friends and family in MAGA, you’ve probably made appeals based on facts, citing reputable sources, etc., and you’ve found they have not had any success. MAGA Americans will not leave unless they have a new community to go to; our Leaving MAGA org./team is actively building such a community. Soon, we will publish testimonials of some who, like me, were MAGA true believers, and left. For those in the thrall of MAGA, facts, policies, etc., will, almost never, have any successful effect. If you want to re-engage your friends and family who are in MAGA, make a sincere effort to try and understand their perspectives, which are likely shaped by many of the everyday concerns and worries most Americans share. If you’ve already done this, do it again—this time, however, ask if they’d be willing to hear my story, and introduce them to our Leaving MAGA org. You will be pleasantly surprised by how many are willing to take a look at my own journey in, and out of, MAGA, as well as our org. At the upcoming Democratic convention, a brief video of my story will air. I am also co-chairing the Republicans for Harris FL team, because I need to make amends for my past decisions and rhetoric—all of which I take complete responsibility for. Yes, MAGA will remain, but we must mercy-kill the GOP, electorally, and begin to move on from Trump—someone I helped get elected. A national reconciliation is possible. Thank you.

What a shock, it reads exactly like the steps of having to deprogram oneself from a fucking cult.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What does senate and house elections look like? What's projected?

Close AF. Honestly it will take a massive massive beating of Trump to drag the senate blue downballot this time around. The map is not favorable. 

https://www.270towin.com/2024-senate-election/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

Dry run attempt of over throwing the government and beating more people to death? Fix some errors that occurred last time.  

If they are serious about running a Trump train, they should make sure MTG attends. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Tuco said:

Will Politico publish them?  I assume Hillary's [the DNC's] went to Wikileaks because most news agencies wouldn't publish them, unless someone else does.  

My recollection is this: Russia hacked, strategically altered, and then gave the documents to Wikileaks, which posted them on the internet. Various media outlets accessed the documents and then spent weeks reporting on them even though they were unable to verify their authenticity. 

34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

trump is taking 2 weeks off ?

He did a quick fundraiser in Aspen today on the way back to his FL shithole from MT.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dem House most likely, toss up senate. Senate depends on Montana/Ohio or flipping TX or FL to make up for one or both 

That's a very generous perspective. The map sucks.  Tester is a clear underdog, and in the contested GOP seats it's tough to see a flip. God how can the Texas Democratic Party be so bad at their jobs. The Allred campaign is pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Senate's definitely a GOP lean. Would not be shocked to see Dems eek out a 50-50 senate if Kamala wins, either through Tester holding on or picking off Rick Scott. Allred is unfortunately dead in the water.

• Hook 'Em 2