2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I feel like turnip is so worried about getting Georgia back that something weird is going to happen like he wins UGA but loses Ohio State, Nawf Carolina, or Florida.

I don’t think he wins GA. Statewide races have consistently rejected MAGA since 2016. MAGA has largely lost in republican primaries to those pretending to be reasonable republicans and when MAGA makes it to the general election (see Herschel), it loses.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Mole said:

I don’t think he wins GA. Statewide races have consistently rejected MAGA since 2016. MAGA has largely lost in republican primaries to those pretending to be reasonable republicans and when MAGA makes it to the general election (see Herschel), it loses.

The wild card in all this seems to be Kemp and Raffensberger deleting voters from the registered voter rolls pretty routinely (it seems, anyway).  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wasn't paying that much attention to Obama in 2008 (I was flirting with McCain/3rd parties) but I remember he generated a helluva lot of buzz.

With that said, Hillary in 2016 doesn't come close to the excitement of Kamala in 2024.  And 2016 Hillary was only 9 years or so older than Kamala in 2024, but the atmosphere around Kamala feels like that of Obama.

And the problem for Trump (and this was a problem for Hillary) is that people know who he is, or think they know who he is, so he's hit his ceiling, whereas with Kamala, there's plenty of room for growth, and she seems to be getting a lot of people interested, who might not have voted this year.

He has hit the hell out of his ceiling. That’s why he’s given up on attracting new voters and is focused on winning through a rigged local infrastructure and the courts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

You know the Mitt Romneys of the Republican world are hoping Trump loses in November as he drags down the down ballot races cycle after cycle. GOP hoping they keep control of the Senate- muck things up and just go on TV once a week and say Kamala is the worst President of all time no matter what she does. Easy work!

Even with that thought I'm pumped as hell. Go mom and dad!

Edited by Loch Ness Monster
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

TexAgs is predictably handling this all quite well:

Wow it's almost like the strategy of supporting a six-time bankrupt failed businessman was very risky. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

No question Obama's was bigger, but his movement grew in spite of, or probably because of its independence from the Democratic party. This did not help the party post-ACA.

Harris and Walz are not outsiders or newcomers to the Democratic party. The groundswell of support they are attracting should help the party going forward. Although it doesn't feel as unique and powerful as Obama '08 felt to me, this campaign and the administration that should come in 2025 will likely be far more consequential than Obama's. 

Harris also didn't have to win a grueling primary to get the nomination, unlike Obama having to go through Hillary. '08 seemed fun at the time but it really left some real damage in the party, if we are being honest with ourselves.

Not only did the primary, but Organizing for America became the defacto DNC and Obama basically let the actual DNC rot under Debbie Wasserman Schultz.  The party is still recovering from the malfeasance. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

This is me. My whole life up until 2016 I had to not great choices for president when there was no incumbent. Clinton’s and Obama’s 2nd terms were no brainers but nothing that excites me, but as someone in (what used to be) the middle, their first terms didn’t excite me I voted GHWB in 92 and Obama in 2008, but wouldn’t have cared either way 

2016 was ridiculous. Each party picked someone whose unfavorables in national polling was was 67% or worse. I don’t want to hear any bullshit about Hillary: 2/3 of our country doesn’t like her and that’s what the dems gave us. 

2020 gave us a dude who could beat Trump thank God, but I can’t say engendered any excitement. 

Harris is much bigger than Obama for me for a few reasons:

she is appealing to the middle unapologetically. Are some of these republican and former republican leaders just trying to root trump and the MAGATs out of their party? Of course, but I really believe, when it comes to the voters, many of the independents who reflexively have voted republican since Reagan are looking at her and Walz as not the lesser of two evils but a new way forward. 

As a corollary she really has women fired up to the extent you would expect a female candidate would. Maybe it’s just Roe being overturned, but I think she is incredibly relatable to women in a way that Hillary for whatever reason wasn’t. 

Last is her appeal to the youth. One of my kids is 20 and the others are going to miss being able to vote by a couple of weeks, but they and their peers are fired up about this election like nothing I can recall. They see their rights being stripped from them in real time, and social media has allowed them to organize in real time like nothing in history 

I posted right after Biden announced he was stepping down and endorsing Harris that Florida was now in play and that take was ridiculed. Now we see not only is Florida in play but Ohio

TL/DR LFG!!!

Yup, this me

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I remember thinking how cool and smart it was for his campaign to use Facebook to reach voters.  Oops. 

Ha.  Yeah, I also thought after 08 and 12, the Dem online/twitter game was so far ahead of the Reps that it would be impossible for the Reps to catch up within 2 or 3 POTUS election cycles.  Ooops. 

Fact-checking Trump’s Mar-a-Lago festival of falsehoods. More than 2 per minute. It would’ve been easier to count the things he said that were true.

162 lies and distortions in a news conference. NPR fact checks former President Trump

There were a host of false things that Donald Trump said during his hour-long news conference Thursday that have gotten attention.

A glaring example is his helicopter emergency landing story, which has not stood up to scrutiny.

But there was so much more. A team of NPR reporters and editors reviewed the transcript of his news conference and found at least 162 misstatements, exaggerations and outright lies in 64 minutes. That’s more than two a minute. It’s a stunning number for anyone – and even more problematic for a person running to lead the free world.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/11/nx-s1-5070566/trump-news-conference

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Keep in mind this is the Financial Times so there may be a bias at work here.

Shit man,the FT is tying themselves in knots to find anyway to avoid Kamala and Walz. The upper middle chattering class is more threatened by these guys than Trump

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

That's about one volunteer for every 200 - 300 voters in the LV metro area. That's A LOT of phone calls and door knocks between now and November.

Hopefully they don't annoy potential voters so much that they stay home.

48 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fact-checking Trump’s Mar-a-Lago festival of falsehoods. More than 2 per minute. It would’ve been easier to count the things he said that were true.

162 lies and distortions in a news conference. NPR fact checks former President Trump

There were a host of false things that Donald Trump said during his hour-long news conference Thursday that have gotten attention.

A glaring example is his helicopter emergency landing story, which has not stood up to scrutiny.

But there was so much more. A team of NPR reporters and editors reviewed the transcript of his news conference and found at least 162 misstatements, exaggerations and outright lies in 64 minutes. That’s more than two a minute. It’s a stunning number for anyone – and even more problematic for a person running to lead the free world.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/11/nx-s1-5070566/trump-news-conference

And not a single limp dicked / dried up pussy journo in attendance called him on any of it.  Good job, assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Simon Rosenberg, a Dem political strategist who runs the Hopium Chronicles, confirms he also has seen private polling of NC being a tied race 

That's not exactly "wowza" levels.  Wowza would be Harris leading by +5 or more.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The most amazing thing in that post was him saying the democrats are good at politics. 

To a man, all of MAGA believes this. Democrats are the ruthless, organized ones who will do anything to win and don't allow dissension within the party. Republicans are splintered and "too nice" to do what's necessary.

Of all the batshit crazy things that those idiots believe, this one may take the cake. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

To a man, all of MAGA believes this. Democrats are the ruthless, organized ones who will do anything to win and don't allow dissension within the party. Republicans are splintered and "too nice" to do what's necessary.

Of all the batshit crazy things that those idiots believe, this one may take the cake. 

I'm guessing the belief is that it is impossible for a Democrat to win any race, so when one happens to, it's either because A) they are from some liberal hellhole or B) the Democratic party is just that organized, ruthless, etc.   It can't be because the GOP puts up some truly horrendous candidates  people in some races.  

Self reflection really  isn't a strong point with the right these days.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Not only did the primary, but Organizing for America became the defacto DNC and Obama basically let the actual DNC rot under Debbie Wasserman Schultz.  The party is still recovering from the malfeasance. 

A lesson Trump and the RNC has taken to heart!

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

twospidermenpointing.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I gotta say man, it’s gotta be a perpetual gut punch to you considering your college affiliation. I know how horribly I feel, and embarrassed, the way I see far right shit taking root in the UT administration. I think at some point I’ll probably have to justify to my kid why/how I still cheer for UT football 20 years from now. But I imagine sometimes you just have to look around at most of your peers in complete  bafflement, like being the only democrat in a vast family of MAGA. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Democrats, so good at politics, they let a Bernie/Hillary battle fracture the party and lose to Trump

5D chess

• Rage+1 2

The right-wing accounts are doubling down on this ridiculous thought that everyone was paid to attend Kamala's Phoenix rally, by posting a Craigslist ad screenshot as evidence. The small problem is, it's an ad for hiring talent for a commercial...

Full ad (https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tlg/d/dallas-happy-democrats-brand-paid-now/7771809292.html):

image.png.d8a42e30de31c6dcd8b3010761092178.png

Someone should community notes that bitch again.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2