2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

58 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is the shit I’ll never understand about rich old people who won’t let go…why? Why the fuck do you want to work still? I’m in my mid 40s and I’d retire tomorrow if I won the lottery. Much less when I’m 80, or 90. 

It ain't the money.  And it ain't the work.

quote-power-is-the-ultimate-aphrodisiac-

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sure feels like that would not pass muster. At all. The DNC is a private org and doesn’t have to even hold a primary if they don’t want to. The delegates voted for her. 

Agreed.  There's very little state intervention in the primary process and even less federal. The state secretary of state or similar election official requires the party to put a candidate on the ballot by a certain time for the general election and that's about it. That doesn't mean that this Supreme Court might find a way, but they'll have to discard a lot of existing law to do so.

ETA:  It is somewhat more likely that a state supreme court or similar finds some violation of state law regarding primaries, but even that seems somewhat remote.  But somewhere among the 50 states there might possibly be some problematic law.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

American reporters are pansies. Give me a BBC reporter any day. They don't give a shit how someone feels about being asked a question. 

No shit. Let Roy Kent have a go at a GOP interview or two.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Agreed.  There's very little state intervention in the primary process and even less federal. The state secretary of state or similar election official requires the party to put a candidate on the ballot by a certain time for the general election and that's about it. That doesn't mean that this Supreme Court might find a way, but they'll have to discard a lot of existing law to do so.

Maybe that will be the point we discard SCOTUS decisions. If the Judicial Branch is going to ignore the law, why should the other two branches follow it?
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I was waiting for the warning about night sweats, dizziness, rashes on the perineum. Don't take if medicated for sinus congestion. Call your doctor if your heart stops beating.

Sorta sappy, but sappy sells in this self-congratulatory land.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Maybe I’m just frustrated especially after watching that cnn interview with the Missouri senator who just kept repeating lies and stupid shit with no pushback at all from John berman

They don't dare say what's obvious unless it comes from the lips of someone not a "journalist." 

I didn't see the interview you write about, but I can guess at what was going on in the host's mind. Boy, sure  wish someone was here with the other viewpoint to refute this mis-statements of facts!

A shitstream of lies is not a viewpoint. The word fact shouldn't be in the same sentence with what this is.

Most importantly, the story isn't whatever this guy is lying about. The story is that he is lying as part of a network of liars which can destroy political discourse if presented on equal footing with truth. You know truth, don't you? Accuracy? Remember that? At least you have your own show. Let's bring in the panel! You'd rather opine than report, and you're shit at both.

I can't watch. I'll blow a vein.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, RomaVicta said:

They don't dare say what's obvious unless it comes from the lips of someone not a "journalist." 

I didn't see the interview you write about, but I can guess at what was going on in the host's mind. Boy, sure  wish someone was here with the other viewpoint to refute this mis-statements of facts!

A shitstream of lies is not a viewpoint. The word fact shouldn't be in the same sentence with what this is.

Most importantly, the story isn't whatever this guy is lying about. The story is that he is lying as part of a network of liars which can destroy political discourse if presented on equal footing with truth. You know truth, don't you? Accuracy? Remember that? At least you have your own show. Let's bring in the panel! You'd rather opine than report, and you're shit at both.

I can't watch. I'll blow a vein.

I don't think CNN talent is allowed to push back.  That might piss off TPTB at CNN who want a Trump win. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

30 minutes ago, Woland said:

Maybe that will be the point we discard SCOTUS decisions. If the Judicial Branch is going to ignore the law, why should the other two branches follow it?

I suspect that's what John Robert's keeps telling the hard conservative 3:  At somepoint, a Democratic president is going to tell the court "You enforce your decision, because I won't"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

38 minutes ago, Woland said:

Well any such decision would further destroy their credibility.

Holy shit, it's true! He can't tell Black people apart! I thought he literally just made it up, but he seriously had an incident with a Black politician from California and confused who it was!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

f8ad720e-36a6-4934-be6c-51c8d5cb9184.png

Apparently it came from Roger Stone's personal email account.  To be honest, I am not sure America is ready to see Roger's personal emails. 

But, that means Roger Stone is still plugged into the Republican Party enough to be part of the VP vetting process.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

We must rush more golf carts to Florida retirement communities!

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

American reporters are pansies. Give me a BBC reporter any day. They don't give a shit how someone feels about being asked a question. 

Where have you gone Mike Wallace, the nation turns it's betrayed eyes to you. Dan Rather too.

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't think CNN talent is allowed to push back.  That might piss off TPTB at CNN who want a Trump win. 

Shame on any journalist who would work under those circumstances. 

15 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Look, as somebody who just spent two wonderful weeks in Europe, and is as prone to anyone to criticizing my country: 

I love America.  I don't know who here wrote it a week or two ago:  we often fail to live up to the American Dream, and yet we keep on striving and hoping and achieving. Every time I come home from international travel, I feel like my American heart grows a little more with pride and wonder.  

This country fucks.

I appreciate that. I don't hate America, but I have grown to find repulsive our violent mythology, brutal history, and denial about real flaws in the way we regard race, sex, and greed. The US has been a great nation at times. Even when the government was training death squads and overthrowing elected governments, American churches and other humane interests were building schools, providing medical help, and performing other well-intended acts.

I find when I travel internationally, which isn't often, I prefer some other countries. They act on big issues like climate cataclysm and live their lives everyday in ways that I admire. I'll feel better about this country if the spirit and intentions of Harris/Walz ascend and reflect a majority philosophy. 

Still, tens of millions of Magas.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 6

Man, it's so delicious that Trump and Elon thought this interview was going to be a boon for both of them. Instead, it just further solidified how big of a buffoon each one is now. WOKE MIND VIRUS!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is the shit I’ll never understand about rich old people who won’t let go…why? Why the fuck do you want to work still? I’m in my mid 40s and I’d retire tomorrow if I won the lottery. Much less when I’m 80, or 90. 

HATE

It's always the miserable MFers

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Apparently it came from Roger Stone's personal email account.  To be honest, I am not sure America is ready to see Roger's personal emails. 

But, that means Roger Stone is still plugged into the Republican Party enough to be part of the VP vetting process.  

Who here wants their Yahoo email accounts hacked, and fake emails purportedly from 20+ years ago involving adultfriendfinder.com or fake emails concerning ads from the back pages of The Austin Chronicle leaked to the general public?

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Edit: we’ve also seen people that were supposedly persona non grata with Trump mysteriously turn out to be still in his inner circle.

Edited by atomheartbevo

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Man, it's so delicious that Trump and Elon thought this interview was going to be a boon for both of them. Instead, it just further solidified how big of a buffoon each one is now. WOKE MIND VIRUS!

There's something else I don't know much about. I was wondering last night if Musk has lost that seemingly huge number of people that sorta worshipped him (overstatement, but you know what I mean). I guess I should say to what extent. I know he's grown unpopular after taking over Twitter. 

What is the status of his large following?

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There's something else I don't know much about. I was wondering last night if Musk has lost that seemingly huge number of people that sorta worshipped him (overstatement, but you know what I mean). I guess I should say to what extent. I know he's grown unpopular after taking over Twitter. 

What is the status of his large following?

Did they worship him or his money?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Who here wants their Yahoo email accounts hacked, and fake emails purportedly from 20+ years ago involving adultfriendfinder.com or fake emails concerning ads from the back pages of The Austin Chronicle leaked to the general public?

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Edit: we’ve also seen people that were supposedly persona non grata with Trump mysteriously turn out to be still in his inner circle.

I'm curious how involved Stone is.  I could see going to him to do opposition research on a VP candidate.  Find those skeletons, twist those facts, etc..  It would be interesting to see the reports on the other potential candidates to know what skeletons they have.  If they brag about killing dogs as kids, what shit are they hiding.  But I am not sure Stone is the guy who would be involved in day-to-day activities.  Not only is he a criminal and creepy, he is also 71.  But maybe he was in some email groups that got more information than he needed.

It doesn't bother me that news agencies haven't published anything yet.  The internet is big and the bad actors will find a place to post this shit.  I'm cool with it being in September or October.  I am curious if the Harris campaign received a copy and has a plan of attack once they are published.  I don't think Stone's lifestyle will be a big issue.  I don't think there will be much directly from the campaign.  But, you know Stone is saying racist shit.  You know he is shit talking about interest groups and public figures (Republican and Democrats) in ways that would be embarrassing.   

For the Podesta hack, there really wasn't much there that was interesting. The right wing media had to really twist and pull shit out of context.  I have a vague recollection to a reference to Bill Richardson and Latino voting blocks that may have been indelicate.  I think it got conflated with Hillary's State emails (which were never hacked as far as we know) and so it added to the cloud of confusion and caused additional damage. (And of course the Pizza-gaters found all sorts of pasta-related hidden codes.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF

This isn't that crazy of a number from an impressions perspective. 

Let's say 20M people heard or saw parts. That's only 50 impressions per person, I'd say everyone in this thread has been exposed and counts for at least 2-3k impressions on it since yesterday. Anyone paying attention to it will see 50 pieces of content related to it via news, posts, mentions or actual tweets. 

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

This isn't that crazy of a number from an impressions perspective. 

Yeah, that motherfucker is counting every impression, every comment, every slight view. We'd be better off if a billion people on this planet had listened to that shit. 

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-murdochs-wall-street-journal-about-to-dump-trump?ref=home

Reveal hidden contents

When combined, the pieces seemingly represent Murdoch’s frustration with how the Trump campaign has floundered recent weeks, from its pick of Sen. JD Vance as his running mate against his wishes to Trump’s continued belligerent complaints to his inability to land on a clear message to combat against her ascendant campaign.

As Trump has spent weeks defining Harris’ presidential candidacy through racist attacks and baseless crowd conspiracies, it has been left to the two newspapers to vocalize what Murdoch and his editors see as the policy and personality contrasts between the two that the billionaire media mogul would dearly love Trump to major on beyond his relentless, vicious, mad-sounding attacks. If Fox News has, for now at least, stayed fully signed up to the Trump train, the two leading Murdoch newspaper titles in the U.S. are sounding their own passenger alarms.

“Trump Meets Half the Moment in His RNC Speech,” read the headline on a Journal editorial board piece hours after the speech.

Since then, The Journal’s editorial board has published almost daily pieces on various policy positions of Harris’, almost crafting talking point memos for the GOP to seize on. One on Sunday attacked her reversal on single-payer healthcare, while a Thursday editorial questioned her bona fides as a potential commander-in-chief. Others have also targeted her running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz.

“Donald Trump often shoots from the hip on these subjects, and his favorable comments about dictators are witless,” read Thursday’s Harris piece. “But his first-term record, especially on Iran and the Middle East, is far stronger than the Biden-Harris performance. Americans shouldn’t have to read tea leaves to figure out if Ms. Harris would keep the country safe in a treacherous world.” (The Daily Beast has reached out to the Journal and New York Post for comment.)

The Journal maintains on its masthead page that its opinion page operates independently from its news division, and its opinion editor Paul Gigot reports to Dow Jones CEO Almar Latour.

At the Post, editor-in-chief Keith Poole is responsible for both op-eds and news coverage. He was a guest at Murdoch’s most recent wedding, the 93-year-old’s fifth.

The commentary in both papers reflects how Murdoch has operated his papers and exercised his political muscle in the past, both in the U.S. and abroad. Murdoch is infamous for calling his editors almost daily, and when he vehemently opposed Trump’s pick of Vance last month, he reportedlydispatched Post columnists and executives to meet with Trump and urge him to consider someone else. But Trump stood firm, and Vance got the job.

Murdoch’s U.K. tabloid The Sun was also notorious for making or breaking British governments, for years a staunch supporter of Margaret Thatcher, even gleefully admitting in a front-page headline it aided in the 1992 election victory of the Tories. (Murdoch later claimed he found the headline “tasteless.”) The paper's backing of Labour leader Tony Blair in 1997 after a 20-year streak of supporting the Tories was therefore seen as hugely significant; the paper endorsed him through the 2005 election before reverting back to the Conservative Party. 

The paper eventually, and perhaps not surprisingly given the widespread unpopularity of Rishi Sunak's Tories, endorsed Labour's Keir Starmer in last month’s election, which Starmer won—as with Blair, Murdoch likes to be on side with the winning team.

The conservative-leaning Journal editorial board has never appeared eager to anoint Trump, with its November 2022 editorial titled “Trump Is the Republican Party’s Biggest Loser,” following Republicans’ razor-thin midterm wins that cycle, serving as a prime example of its frustration toward his temperament. Yet the paper has still oscillated between defending (and advising) Trump and attacking President Joe Biden.

It’s a reflection of Murdoch’s own views on the former president, a man he regarded in emails revealed by the Fox-Dominion case as going “increasingly mad” over his 2020 election loss and who Murdoch predicted would become “irrelevant” following the 2020 election. The Fox-Dominion case only ever arose because Murdoch’s TV mouthpiece, Fox News, regurgitated the former president’s claims of a stolen election, costing the network $787 million.

Author Michael Wolff reported in his book last year, The Fall: The End of Fox News and the Murdoch Dynasty, that Murdoch even and often wished Trump were dead.

“Trump’s death became a Murdoch theme: ‘We would all be better off …?’ ‘This would all be solved if …’ ‘How could he still be alive, how could he?’ ‘Have you seen him? Have you seen what he looks like? What he eats?’” according to the book.

Still, the two appeared to have mended their post-election hostilities. Trump told podcast hosts Clay Travis and Buck Sexton that he and Murdoch speak “a lot,” and Murdoch made a rare appearance at the Republican National Convention last month.

“He’s 100 percent sharp—he’s as sharp as a tack,” Trump told the hosts.

Murdoch likely hopes Trump means those words, if the advice his Journal editorial board has offered Trump and Republicans is any indication: “The former President will have to make a case on policy, rather than personal insults, and that isn’t his strength,” read a July 24 editorial. “The economic and security fundamentals still favor Mr. Trump, but this is now a competitive race.”

Whether Trump heeds it, however, is another matter. On Saturday, new New York Times polls showed Harris leading Trump in multiple swing states. On Saturday, Trump called Harris a “RADICAL LEFT LUNATIC.”

If Trump carries on like this, who knows—Murdoch may feel, as the campaign enters its dying days, to do what he did in Britain, and turn his back on the leading right-wing candidate and support Harris. That stated support written in either or both outlets—one totemic for the business community, the other for New York—would not only represent an emphatic rejection of Trump by two communities whose approval Trump so desires, it would be from a mogul whose audiences he has courted so ferociously and effectively. 

Perhaps Trump—in his pick of Vance, despite Murdoch’s antipathy—has made his own calculations about what he does and does not need from Murdoch. Certainly Murdoch’s influence in British politics, while still undoubtedly strong, has waned in recent years as people source their media from less-traditional sources. Regardless, this presidential election is not just the battle of Harris and Trump, but a reckoning for two powerful men who find themselves yoked together—the best of frenemies.

image.png.646385554e2eede995cece45b669868b.png

and how does the Drumpf of today sound to medical professionals, you might wonder. This article was published just a few days ago by STAT News, an online publication for medical professionals owned by the Boston Globe. I don't know that any of it was picked up by any of the major news publications, unless you count New Republic.

image.png.ea048128a00504c8bf7a5eef72ae3271.png

image.thumb.png.2747dae31b0462d0a3487b8fb46c6be4.png

image.thumb.png.4b673872ccb191b9ef3ddf3b5b8570f0.png

image.png.3e3871ae2fa1a129383d58d99d7640cf.png

here's the full article, paywall avoided https://archive.ph/dX2YK  one of the experts is Social Psychologist prof at UT

• Hook 'Em 6