2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I listened to about 10 seconds just to hear his voice. WTF was that? He doesn't normally talk like that. 

#DonnyDentures

Sounded like he didn't have his teeth in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yes he does. That's exactly how he talks. 

The content of what he was saying is consistent, but no, he doesn't sound like that usually. Whether it was the microphone, loose dentures, or whatever, he had a heavy, heavy lisp last night.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexasHooch said:

The content of what he was saying is consistent, but no, he doesn't sound like that usually. Whether it was the microphone, loose dentures, or whatever, he had a heavy, heavy lisp last night.

weird, I didn't notice it, but I may have been too high to care he sounded the same as usual to me, but maybe I also have him half tuned out.

I know that Vance isn't a great replacement, but just from a procedural standpoint, can the GOP remove Trump from the ticket after he's been nominated?

IE if he is deemed to have severe cognitive decline since the convention?

Not asking if it would, or should happen, just trying to understand if it's even possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well they're gonna try to argue that Harris isn't eligible. It would be funny to watch them make that argument, pre-convention, and then replace Trump post-convention.

"No no that's totally cool though, because reasons."

My conspiracy theory is that they are riding Trump's pull with MAGA to get the win then they'll use the 25th amendment to replace him with Vance after the inauguration. 

Then Vance can implement Project 2025.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I know that Vance isn't a great replacement, but just from a procedural standpoint, can the GOP remove Trump from the ticket after he's been nominated?

Not asking if it would, or should happen, just trying to understand if it's even possible.

It's complicated.

https://ballotpedia.org/State_laws_and_party_rules_on_replacing_a_presidential_nominee,_2024

Democratic Party rules governing vacancies

Under Article 2 of The Bylaws of the Democratic Party, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) has the responsibility to fill vacancies in presidential and vice presidential nominations between national conventions.[8]

In the event of a vacancy on the national ticket, the chairperson would call a special meeting. Under Article 2 § 8(d), questions before the DNC, with some exceptions otherwise outlined in the charter and bylaws, are determined by a majority vote of the DNC members who are present and voting by proxy. The bylaws also state that voting to fill a vacancy on the national ticket must proceed in accordance with procedural rules adopted by the Rules and Bylaws Committee and approved by the DNC.[8]

Republican Party rules governing vacancies

Rule 9 of The Rules of the Republican Party provides guidance on how to fill presidential and vice presidential vacancies.[9]

It says that the Republican National Committee (RNC) is authorized to select a new candidate by majority vote or by reconvening the national convention to fill the vacancy. In the former process, the three RNC members from each state—comprised of a state chair, a national committeeman, and a national committeewoman—would be able to cast the same number of votes as the entire delegation from that state to the convention.[9] Under Rule 9(c), if the three RNC members did not all support the same candidate, their votes would be proportionately distributed.[9] For example, each RNC member would cast 13 of Kansas' 39 delegate votes.

Ballot access and vacancies for presidential candidates

States require political parties to submit names of presidential and vice presidential nominees and presidential electors in order to certify them for the general election ballot. Deadlines vary by state and are dependent on the election calendar, including early voting, voting by mail, and absentee voting considerations.

Nearly half of the states have a deadline in August, and most require certification or identification of a candidate to fill a vacancy no later than September 6. Replacing a candidate's name on the ballot in September, therefore, becomes increasingly difficult as many states will have already printed ballots or begun to allow voters to cast ballots.

It is possible for parties and election authorities to change or work around these deadlines. For instance, in 2020, the Republican National Convention took place after the deadlines in Alabama and Ohio. In Ohio, the state legislature passed a law to change the deadline that cycle so it took place after the Republican National Convention, and in Alabama, the state's election authority accepted a placeholder letter from the RNC that said the party would certify a nominee once the official nomination took place.[10]

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Who is gonna stop them from doing it?

MAGA.  They would see it as a sign of The Deep State.  If they show up to vote at all, it’ll be for RFK, or possibly even Harris as a fuck you to the GOP.

Hell, they will just write him in.

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Who is gonna stop them from doing it?

It's mainly a question of getting on the ballot in 50+ different voting authorities.  

I think the cleanest path would be to ask people to vote for Trump/Vance with the understanding that Trump would step down the day after the inauguration.  Which he would never agree to.  There is no way to force Trump out now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

You must have been a special kind of high. Congrats!

dude maybe there's something wrong with me but that's just how I think spaces sound on twitter. The audio processing is just different it's why musks voice sounds strange too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

dude maybe there's something wrong with me but that's just how I think spaces sound on twitter. The audio processing is just different it's why musks voice sounds strange too.

there was a separate audio from someone in the room with trump and he sounded like that. so it wasn't xitter spaces.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

It definitely has an effect, I noticed the pitch of his voice was higher. I don't know if that goes for the lisp too though.  And even if that is the explanation, the fact remains that he sounded different from what we are accustomed too.  But here's video of him in the room.  Judge for yourself.  

I hear "tho many millions of people"

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

My conspiracy theory is that they are riding Trump's pull with MAGA to get the win then they'll use the 25th amendment to replace him with Vance after the inauguration. 

Then Vance can implement Project 2025.

I don't think this will work.  Vance will probably play along, but his cabinet will be filled with Trump yes men who won't invoke it.

If by some chance they do, Trump will refuse and return to office for 4 days.  The cabinet can invoke it again and the House and Senate will need to vote 2/3rd's each to permanently remove him.  While not impossible, I don't see that as particularly possible.  There will be enough Trumpists in the House that even with full Democratic support (unknown) it will fail.  The Senate, maybe, but they'd need both.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I'm pretty confident that Trump could voluntarily step down if he wanted to. But I don't think there is a way for the party to make him do that at this point.

1 minute ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I don't think this will work.  Vance will probably play along, but his cabinet will be filled with Trump yes men who won't invoke it.

If by some chance they do, Trump will refuse and return to office for 4 days.  The cabinet can invoke it again and the House and Senate will need to vote 2/3rd's each to permanently remove him.  While not impossible, I don't see that as particularly possible.  There will be enough Trumpists in the House that even with full Democratic support (unknown) it will fail.  The Senate, maybe, but they'd need both.

Trump yes men see Trump as a means to an end. They're not wedded to him personally. If they see Vance as a much younger, more focused, more energetic way to get what they want. they'll dump Trump in a heartbeat.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Trump yes men see Trump as a means to an end. They're not wedded to him personally. If they see Vance as a much younger, more focused, more energetic way to get what they want. they'll dump Trump in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but Trump voters see him as Dear Leader. If the party removes him, they will lose the only people still voting for them.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

He's not picking his cabinet - Theil and Musk will. They already forced him to pick Vance via Eric and Junior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It's mainly a question of getting on the ballot in 50+ different voting authorities.  

They can completely ignore dozens of States. There's no point in trying to change the ballot in California, for example.

But I agree it isn't happening. 

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They can completely ignore dozens of States. There's no point in trying to change the ballot in California, for example.

But I agree it isn't happening. 

Ohio is one of them with a tight schedule.  Here is an old article talking about doing a roll-call vote ahead of the convention to avoid any issue with getting on the ballot in Ohio.  They needed to get it in by Aug 7 to avoid having to force it in the courts.  Fun fact: Walz headed up the convention rules committee which pushed up the roll call vote.  

Edit: I assume the GOP has already sent out the ballot information to Ohio and other states.  Changing it now would be much more difficult.  

Edited by Tuco

17 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This would require significant, if not total, Democratic cooperation for removal.  They cannot do it alone.  And if I'm a Democratic rep or Senator, there's a pretty good case to be made to leave Trump in office as opposed to elevating Vance.  Two absolutely horrid choices, but one would result in a spectacular GQP civil war, the other a focused, systemic dismantling of American democracy.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

53-47 in Texas per ActiVote poll

It’s a weird looking poll. I’m more curious about the YouGov one that’s coming this week 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Trump would burn everything to the ground if they replace him.

Now, if they do a deal where he is the candidate and wins, then steps aside to let JD take the presidency with the promise of a full presidential pardon, maybe, just maybe he'd walk away at that point. Oh wait, no he wouldn't. He renege on the deal. (And the pardon doesn't get him off in Georgia or perhaps Arizona if he winds up in that mess.)

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

there's something not clicking in my brain. I just don't hear a difference from his normal talking, maybe he's always had a lisp to me? anyway done with my derail it's me it's not you.

Yeah, the clip above doesn't sound that weird. There's a weird lispy thing at the very beginning but he hits his hard "S" just like he always does on the back end. I am a fan, however, of Denture Don and would like to see that catch on.

There's a transcript so you don't have to listen. Many, many baffling, wtf moments. https://singjupost.com/full-transcript-elon-musk-interviews-donald-trump/?singlepage=1

You know, Russia defeated Germany with us and they defeated Napoleon.

"And by the way, you think Biden could do this interview? Do you think that Kamala could do this interview? They would take a pass. No, they could not. They don’t need Elon. They don’t need Elon screaming out questions."

and Elmo

image.png.25d004a3041713e4c897920fab3d3d5d.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/breathtaking-hypocrisy-nbc-news-reports-on-trump-campaign-asking-media-not-to-publish-hacked-material/

NBC News justice and intelligence correspondent Ken Dilanian:

But now the Trump campaign is urging news organizations not to use any documents stolen by a foreign government in what some see as breathtaking hypocrisy. And so far, you know, news organizations do not appear to have published any internal Trump documents. But nothing is stopping the hackers from posting them on the web somewhere, which will create a real dilemma for the media if the documents are newsworthy. I mean, nobody wants to help a foreign government influence the election, but if secret documents are leaked onto the internet, lots of people are going to see them regardless of what the media does on them.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Red Five said:

WTF does that mean? Drop all charges against the felon, just to do him a nice favor?

The asks that they put on democrats while doing whatever the fuck they want never ceases to amaze me.

Yes. It's our fault for not letting Donald Trump get away with all of his crimes (just most of them), thus forcing him to run for President to escape consequences. 

It makes perfect sense after you hit yourself over the head with a hammer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

WTF does that mean? Drop all charges against the felon, just to do him a nice favor?

The asks that they put on democrats while doing whatever the fuck they want never ceases to amaze me.

It means he already in the early stages of dementia and as long as he thinks he's president, he'll just pretend.

They did the same thing with his father who had, wait for it, dementia.