2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

48 minutes ago, The Dog said:

https://www.threads.net/@tomwellborn3/post/C-pueYPurdN/?xmt=AQGzIZq3e3QTfxPKqsu1_FUvM5XaeNnnf9piw1uxavL1Ng

Convicted felon Trump’s Arizona rallies are shrinking due to unpaid invoices and drained PAC funds. Once filling massive venues, he’s now confined to small spaces like Dream City Church, funded by others. While Harris fills stadiums, Trump’s financial mismanagement leaves him begging for scraps. 

he should start booking doubleheaders with the midget rasslin'

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I posted this because I have absolutely been, in my professional career, the victim of both sexism/misogyny and the fucking glass ceiling.

It doesn't help when for years, people have used phrases like, "Cry like a girl" or "Throw like a girl" or "Hit like a girl" to insult male children. Honestly, enough is enough. Men have been in power for 200+ years here in the US. We have a country that is more than 50% female, and yet the makeup of Congress doesn't reflect that. Time to let us be in charge. 

I'm here for it. Y'all got this. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

This is fucking infuriating. How the fuck do they get away with this shit. 
EDIT: Completely unacceptable for Biden to sit back and watch this happen. Cut off the damn money or set Bibi straight. FUCK.

They weren’t discussing Gaza. They were talking about whatever mob bosses talk about when they get together.
  • Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He says “this is the greatest commercial they’ve ever had”, then proceeds to disparage the fuck out of the company/product by holding it up as the example of the negative impact of inflation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

Harris should offer him an Ambassador to Chad. That’s the final and best offer.

Dangling Chad.

45 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Looks like a Matlock or Murder She Wrote watch party.
That should do it.

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

48 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I posted this because I have absolutely been, in my professional career, the victim of both sexism/misogyny and the fucking glass ceiling.

It doesn't help when for years, people have used phrases like, "Cry like a girl" or "Throw like a girl" or "Hit like a girl" to insult male children. Honestly, enough is enough. Men have been in power for 200+ years here in the US. We have a country that is more than 50% female, and yet the makeup of Congress doesn't reflect that. Time to let us be in charge. 

This.  A billion times this.

I believe America will be better off with women in places requiring strong, ethical leadership.  Especially in national level political elected positions.  Progress is far too slow, but if we can stave off this GQP fever, I have hope that a tsunami will hit soon enough.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Project 2025 was going to be their agenda, until the whole "Weird" thing came along, people started reading about it, it polled horribly and they stopped talking about it and had the publisher delay the book's publishing. In its place they rushed out that one-pager.

Media Matters obtained an advance copy of Kevin Roberts’ book.

https://www.mediamatters.org/kevin-roberts/everything-you-need-know-about-kevin-roberts-delayed-book-dawns-early-light

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s going to be milked for a month. Also good there’s not herding

That's statistical bias. It'd be great if you would ask her about non-response bias and how she thinks that impacts the +/- of a poll. I'm not on twitter or I would. My understanding is it basically doubles the range of error: + or - 5 turns into = or minus 10. Non-response bias stems from the difficulty of getting a representative sample of people to answer a phone call or respond to a letter, i.e. to get 800 registered voters to respond we had to attempt to poll 1 million registered voters.  This is a recent academic study:  

https://www.gesis.org/fileadmin/admin/Dateikatalog/pdf/guidelines/nonresponse_bias_analysis_felderer_2024.pdf

I agree the vibe is with Harris. But I don't trust the polls.  

2 hours ago, Woland said:

They weren’t discussing Gaza. They were talking about whatever mob bosses talk about when they get together.

Peace is definitely not in either Drumpf's or Netanyahu's interest. You're right, that was 2 desperate criminals, scheming together.

edit to add: "the call took place a day before a crucial round of negotiations in Doha"

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

I know it's foolish, but part of me likes to pretend that a person with a decent shot at becoming the next president might have a person or two on his team at least going through some of the normal motions of running a presidential campaign.

Trump's campaign could have put together some amazing research material on Harris or Walz, they could come up with a beautiful speech with some feisty one-liners.

But then Trump walks up to the podium and everything his campaign has done to prepare him for that night goes out the window as he starts rambling about electricity, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, how much dictators love him, and all the other greatest hits.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

46 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

This.  A billion times this.

I believe America will be better off with women in places requiring strong, ethical leadership.  Especially in national level political elected positions.  Progress is far too slow, but if we can stave off this GQP fever, I have hope that a tsunami will hit soon enough.

Counterpoint: Women Drivers

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If that’s accurate, then most polls are worthless as constantly within the true moe. 

image.png.b6dccdb54163dd67dc86f60ded9d7eb0.png

Yes, I've heard it put that, unless the spread between the candidates is greater than 2x the statistical bias, an individual poll isn't telling you which candidate would win an election at the point in time of the poll.

Per Real Clear Polling, "It is almost definitionally difficult to detect partisan non-response bias, since you can’t talk to people who didn’t respond to polls." They have a brief discussion about non-response bias at the end of this article. https://www.realclearpolling.com/stories/analysis/does-jesse-watters-know-how-polls-work

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Milked for a month? That poll will be forgotten by next week if things keep generally trending for Kamala. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Milked by the Trump campaign. 

How long ago did some nutcase take a shot at Trump?

Trump and Vance are going to say something really fucking stupid, either in the next day or two at whatever shindig Trump has planned, or clips of them saying stupid shit will be surfaced.  Trump and Co. are lurching along from one self-inflicted crisis to the next.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's a good thing tiktok doesn't embed here but I'd allow an exception for this one. Clever 10 second ad for Harris by the Lincoln Project. Worth a click. 

Yeah it doesn’t have download enabled. I was disappointed with that but was too good not to post. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

I know it's foolish, but part of me likes to pretend that a person with a decent shot at becoming the next president might have a person or two on his team at least going through some of the normal motions of running a presidential campaign.

To give you a serious response - somebody at a fairly high level in his campaign, with some sway, is doing something along those lines..

1. He's not doing a bunch of campaign rallies, even though this is a time that he should be - Harris and Walz look positively energetic while he looks like a frail old man. Some have speculated that he's got some health issues, but I think somebody close to him realizes the more campaign rallies he does, the more chances there are of him continuing to say stupid shit and drive moderates away.

2. They are still doing ad buys, even bumping them up in some states.

3. They are trying to get free publicity by having Vance follow Harris/Walz - i.e. the reporters are already at their rallies, so have Couchfucker setup shop nearby and get some media attention.

Compared to 2020, his campaign feels like it's in maintenance mode - doing just enough to keep the MAGA core active and sending him money, but they are being extremely frugal with their spending (he should be able to fill out 5,0000 or 10,000 seat arenas, but they are going with cheaper, smaller venues).

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'll give you the executive, judicial, and legislative. But "throws like  a girl" gotta stay now that we're playing aggy every year.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Trump is going to take credit for a cease fire. 

The word you are looking for is Grease fire

18 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's a good thing tiktok doesn't embed here but I'd allow an exception for this one. Clever 10 second ad for Harris by the Lincoln Project. Worth a click. 

news to me

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You could have posted this at any time from 2016 on and no one would know when you were referring to.

ETA:  God dammit, this is what just kills me.  These people have literally been a clown car of incompetency and dipshittery from day 1, which was almost 8 god damn years ago, and yet we are still sitting here worrying about them regaining power.  70+ million of our fellow VOTERS (let's not even talk about overall citizens) are so god damn fucking stupid that we are still concerned that we might have to deal with this band of grifting, lying, chucklefucks again.  I mean WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

I'd say it's ramped up in the last month, and that maybe why Trump is even battier than normal - because he picked Ole Couchfucker, and now he's stuck with him and can't ditch him and that has to be driving him crazy.

A month ago yesterday, Trump was wounded by shrapnel/glass from a would-be assassin.  He should have been able to ride that to victory in November.  Instead, we've collectively forgotten that, Dems have coalesced around Harris in record time and record numbers, a lot of Republicans are openly bailing on Trump, and he's stuck with a guy who wears eyeliner and used to dress in drag and who is called a couchfucker.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A month ago yesterday, Trump was wounded by shrapnel/glass from a would-be assassin.  He should have been able to ride that to victory in November.

If you are talking about every candidate pre-dotard, sure.  But when you spend 8 years denigrating, insulting, fucking with, and putting almost everyone in harm's way, including your own supporters, I'm not surprised someone taking a pot shot at him didn't rile up the populace.  Pretty much got this reaction and I don't blame anyone with a logical brain for having it:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952zkhqqydg24csi0z4dnr

• Hook 'Em 1