2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

I'm digging the variety of these acts.  I'm not a big fan of Beyonce, but holy shit she has some reach.  Isbell can pull some rural undecideds.  If Taylor Swift makes an appearance, it could practically double the 18-35 female vote.

• Hook 'Em 1

If Taylor Swift plays "Only The Young" at either of her remaining shows tonight or tomorrow, that's your sign that she's in and that will be what she offers the campaign to use. That's the song she wrote about young people needing to vote in 2018. It's also a good song to contrast Kamala versus feeble old Trump. I base this on her giving NBC a live version of one of the songs she did at her show for the Olympics. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

No. She's still in London tomorrow on the final night of her international leg of the Eras Tour. I don't think she'll do anything but she may have taped something for the campaign to use, similar to what she did for the Olympics. She has a long lay off until the rest of her US dates pick back up in October. So she has plenty of time to get something ready for Kamala. 

I think Trump really fucked himself by doing that stupid AI shit using her. If there's one thing Taylor Swift does not like, it's a man using her fame for their own personal gain like Kanye West did. So she will respond in her own time. She has to now. I just don't feel she's going to do anything while she's overseas. 

Finishing in London tomorrow gives her plenty of time to be in Chicago, and rested, for Thursday night. Don't know if she will, but can you imagine her and Beyonce on stage together?

• Hook 'Em 1

If the Ds wanted to crash social media, they'd have Taylor ready to go and then 45 minutes before she's going to speak/sing/perform, she posts to insta/x/whatever "see ya at the DNC in 45 minutes.  Don't miss me."

That would cause a stir.

• Hook 'Em 3

I find Isbell insteresting becuase he's on tour with Zach Bryan right now, looks like they have tonight off. So becuase this is important to him, he busted his ass to be there and be back in MO for a show tomorrow, OR Bryan, who is on the liberal side of country from what I can tell, let him take a day or two off becuase it was important to Isbell. Either way, interesting stuff.

I'm not sure Isbell moves the needles with rurals anymore though, I think his reputuation has been thoroughly drug through the conservative mud.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Not to pile on but I too don't get why Hillary is a featured speaker. Have any other failed candidates ever spoken? Adlai Stevenson?  Mondale?  Gore? All of them had bonafides comparable to Hillary.  Does she bring any votes to the table? What value does she add?

• Hook 'Em 1

Split Ticket opinion piece - bluer than 2020, less blue than 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/08/19/kamala-harris-polls-democrats-washington-primary/

Opinion 

Washington’s ‘jungle primary’ points to Democratic victories

The state’s voting often mirrors national trends. Harris should hope this year is no different.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Clintons, the Obamas, the Bidens raise a lot of money for the party. Also the convention itself is for people extremely into politics. The trick is to balance things out for the folks at home because there's a ton of external enthusiasm. But if you think you may be upset about who's on the list for the Democratic Convention, pretend you're a republican for a minute and go look at the roster of speakers they had for theirs. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Every time a Republican opens their mouth these days I think about the “You are not serious people” line from Succession.

Yeah, I think about that line a lot.  It describes a huge swath of our country.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Anyone who says, oh Hillary is speaking at the dnc, that settles it I'm not voting for kamala, it's looking for an excuse not to vote for her to begin with. Let Hillary have one last moment. She'll say good things about Harris, and will trash Dotard. If anyone even remembers what she actually says, it'll be because she blew it out of the water. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Not to pile on but I too don't get why Hillary is a featured speaker.

My assumption is that voters that the Dems could still pull in likely hate HRC more than they like a political party being loyal to older politicians.

I'd have her roaming the convention.

Like Tom Cruise roamed the Olympics.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Not to pile on but I too don't get why Hillary is a featured speaker. Have any other failed candidates ever spoken? Adlai Stevenson?  Mondale?  Gore? All of them had bonafides comparable to Hillary.  Does she bring any votes to the table? What value does she add?

If she didn't get a spot, that would be the big story of the convention. It would be beyond awkward.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If she didn't get a spot, that would be the big story of the convention. It would be beyond awkward.

It’s a god damn speech on night 1. Who cares. Night 1 may as well be called “sending the geezers to the home”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Who gives a fuck, honestly?

Hillary still brings in a shit ton of money, and yes, they are “Hillary voters” who are mostly Whites (women, men, and gays) who, for some, might be in on Kamala but not in on funding. Hillary can still influence a lot of people. 

Her speaking on the first night will be forgotten by Wednesday 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Her coverage will send Trump into saying/tweeting a bunch of things he shouldn't.  Any chance to show him more unhinged, vindictive, bitter the better.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I find Isbell insteresting becuase he's on tour with Zach Bryan right now, looks like they have tonight off. So becuase this is important to him, he busted his ass to be there and be back in MO for a show tomorrow, OR Bryan, who is on the liberal side of country from what I can tell, let him take a day or two off becuase it was important to Isbell. Either way, interesting stuff.

I'm not sure Isbell moves the needles with rurals anymore though, I think his reputuation has been thoroughly drug through the conservative mud.

Bryan seems to be rotating opening acts fairly often. Don't know if Isbell asked for breaks or what, but Isbell opened for him in Houston a couple weeks ago , but not San Antonio a few nights later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

Bryan seems to be rotating opening acts fairly often. Don't know if Isbell asked for breaks or what, but Isbell opened for him in Houston a couple weeks ago , but not San Antonio a few nights later. 

That was a great show. 

• Hook 'Em 1