2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

I’m voting for good and against evil.

There’s a lot of words in that post, but these are the only ones that matter. Roughly half the country has been brainwashed to believe this is a superhero battle and the other side must be vanquished. Note the subtle differences in how Fox and CNN or MSNBC describe the “other” team. CNN and MSNBC will bash Republicans, sure, but it’s almost always pointed at politicians or people in power. Fox will always use generic terms like “liberals” or “the left.” Their goal is to make it “us vs them” and it fucking works.
It’s why the claims about appealing to most of them are so laughable. None of this is policy-related. The sheep are told WHO to hate and then they adopt whatever policy positions make that happen.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The Republican Facebook propaganda copy and paste, explaining why Trump doesn’t matter. This is the disinformation that is capturing the dipshits. 

From Facebook:

I shake my head sometimes with Trump and Twitter, BUT
To all those who say..."I'd vote for anyone but TRUMP... I can't stand him!!" or "I can't believe you're voting for Trump!" Well folks listen up! This is not a jr. high or high school popularity/personality election!! I'm not just voting for the person, I'm voting for the platform! I'm voting for the second Amendment. I'm voting for the next supreme court justice. I'm voting for the electoral college, and the Republic we live in. I'm voting for the Police, and law and order. I'm voting for the military, and the veterans who fought for and died for this Country. I'm voting for the Flag. I'm voting for the right to speak my opinion and not be censored. I’m voting for secure borders. I’m voting for the right to praise my God without fear. I’m voting for every unborn soul.  I’m voting for freedom and the American Dream. I’m voting for good and against evil. I'm not just voting for one person, I'm voting for the future of my Country and our Constitution which was written based on Biblical values and protects our freedoms under God! What are you voting for? 

God Bless the United States of America

Copy and paste, I did!!!

I can’t believe people are so gullible. 

If they actually believed all of this, they would be turning in a straight ticket Democrat ballot.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Full circle. Democrats sounding like Republicans. Freedom, Rule of Law. Accountability. Sounds Conservative. Suspicious.

Only difference is that the Democrats mean it

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Full circle. Democrats sounding like Republicans. Freedom, Rule of Law. Accountability. Sounds Conservative. Suspicious.

What they're doing is focusing on common values, which SOUND conservative, though it's easy to make the case the Q party no longer believes in them. The Democrats have always believed in "conservative" values but far too often in past campaigns and debates they've focused on how they're going to solve various problems.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Do you not remember the 1990s? Bill Clinton was all about this...at least for others. Somewhere along the way, the Republicans co-opted freedom and the rule of law. Probably after 9/11. 

Edited by mdmost

14 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Scientific American with an interesting perspective about debate style. They say Trump's style -- bullying and rapid lies -- are a form of debate known as the Gish gallop, defined in the para below. They then discuss how to counter it. 

image.thumb.png.1c81d27f12246570b226cf44abb322d2.png

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trumps-weird-debate-strategies-come-from-creationist-tactics/

If that fat fuck starts stalking her around the stage, she should tell him she can smell his overflowing diaper from 6 feet away and to kindly keep his foul smelling ass on his half of the stage. And then refer to him only as poopy pants for the remainder of the debate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Tuco said:

NE-2 [Remington Research Group Aug14-17]

Harris 50

Trump 42

By comparison, the same polling has these numbers for NE-2 Congress: 

Vargas (D): 44

Bacon(R, Incumbent): 46

I really hope Tony can pull it out against Bacon.  

Nebraska Examiner article

I should note that Vance is coming to NE-2 today.  So, I imagine the polling will change up after he holds a packed rally and goes to the Valentinos pizza buffet.  Wait..what's that?  Vance is coming to town for the sole purpose going to a $1000/plate fundraiser with the Ricketts family?  That sounds about right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Keep in mind that most don't know jack shit about this atrocity. If it's already that far under water with Independents then this thing is DOA - which is why the Democrats' smart play is to make the GOP own it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If most people still don't know about it, how do you reach them? It's been blasted repeatedly for at least the last two months.

Talk about it at the fucking debate, and at the DNC, so people can tune in and see it, and google for themselves. Becuase I guarantee you there are a fuck ton of curious people watching harris and walz right now, and will watch the debates, looking for reasons to vote D. 

• Hook 'Em 7

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If most people still don't know about it, how do you reach them? It's been blasted repeatedly for at least the last two months.

only for those of us wonks who get into this stuff. 

What I'd do:

1. Highlight the worst parts of it that they are most likely to implement;

2. Attach Trump to it (his name is ALL over that document in spite of him lying about not knowing anything about it) - he's also on record as saying he was going to do many of the things documented in it;

3. Blast that all over media until election day. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

Or sounds normal? Not bat shit crazy like the shit you're hearing for the past 10 years from the other side? It's not Project 2025, ya know the new conservative views? They're playing to the exact crowd they need to play to in order to win the election and to win the house and senate moving forward so that things can actually get fucking done. That crowd being the moderate conservative and undecideds.....

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Whenever Project 2025 is mentioned, it needs to be said as "Trump's Project 2025".  Attach his name to it every fucking time. 

Just like the Trump Abortion Bans 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Is conservative.  Not "sounds."  Is.

I'm still pretty damned conservative.  I favor free trade and the international financial order that has made the United States of America the dominant financial and mercantile power in the world.  I don't want to repeal our free-trade agreements, rethink the monetary policies that have made the Dollar the world's reserve currency, or entertain the idea of defaulting on our debts.

I favor adhering to our international obligations, from Europe to East Asia.  NATO is the strongest mutual-defense organization in the history of the world, and has preserved the peace in Europe for nearly 80 years, which is the longest that continent has gone without a major war since . . . ever.  And in East Asia, our defense treaties with Japan and South Korea have fostered an economic environment that has led to an economic expansion throughout Asia while enriching Americans.

I favor preserving freedom of thought and expression.  Of ensuring Americans are free to make their own decisions about their property, their religion, and their bodies.

At the same time, I favor preserving the social safety net that we have built up over the past 90 years.  And where there are holes in that safety net, either in its original construction or because new economic developments have torn holes in it, it should be repaired.

All of these are conservative values.  These are the values that would be supported by any conservative party.

But the GQP today is not a conservative party.  It is a reactionary party.  And reactionism is not "conservativism."

Don't.  People know they don't like it even if they don't know precisely what it is.  "Project 2025" has just become a buzzword for "scary shit that Trumpublicans are going to do if they get back into power."

Use that.  Feed it.  Say "Project 2025" over and over again with ominous and foreboding music in the background.

Just please, for the love of god, don't go into a discussion of Schedule F trying to reach people who you think don't know enough about Project 2025.

All of this.

If you actually get a moment to maybe influence a low information swing voter, do it quickly, do it simply, and don't do it in a way that you could be dismissed as Chicken Little. Anyone who doesn't already know what P25 is doesn't have the capacity and/or the willingness to listen to anything that sounds partisan or wonkish. Walz gave the the template. Something something, weird something. Use it, and drop the subject. That's how you get the uninformed on board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Or sounds normal? Not bat shit crazy like the shit you're hearing for the past 10 years from the other side? It's not Project 2025, ya know the new conservative views? They're playing to the exact crowd they need to play to in order to win the election and to win the house and senate moving forward so that things can actually get fucking done. That crowd being the moderate conservative and undecideds.....

As LBJ observed, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

The meaning of "conservative" began disappearing from the gop's values in the days of Nixon. Reagan and the "moral majority" began the evisceration of the remainder. Once Newt took control it all became about power and control, solely, for that party.

Edited by Chopper
clarify
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

The "Election Rumor Research" team (at the UW Center for an Informed Public) just set up a new Substack to help communicate rapid analyses of rumors related to election administration and election integrity: https://uwcip.substack.com/p/the-center-for-an-informed-publics   

They will feature rapid analyses of how emerging rumors about voting and election administration are spreading across social media platforms as well as insights into broader patterns in election rumors (e.g. the network structure of online influence, common techniques of content manipulation).

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, MrBig said:

Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood would have been better at reaching Southern whites than Jason Isbell.

Nah, Garth Brooks is too woke now for southern whites after he sided with Bud Light last year or whenever that was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

It’s not legal. It’s a crime. Logan act.

. . . that is never enforced, in part because there are major First Amendment issues with it.

But anyway, yeah--go on you fun Palestinian protestors and tell me how awful "Genocide Joe" and the Democrats are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Someone explain to me how it's legal or acceptable for this to happen. Biden needs to handle this with Netanyahu immediately. 

Its not legal, just like buying cocaine isn't legal. You only get in trouble if you get caught with the bag

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

All I know is Biden looks like an absolute fool letting this happen. Bibi is a criminal looking for a soft landing if Trump wins the election.

Cut off the damn money or force a ceasefire now. 

Calm the fuck down. This is an unproven report in the last 48 hours tops. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Calm the fuck down. This is an unproven report in the last 48 hours tops. 

Bibi and Trump met at Mar-A-Lago recently and are talking on the phone as well. It's completely unacceptable and compromises national security. In normal times this would be a massive scandal. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Sure sure sure. So let's get biden to do something drastic and massive on unconfirmed anything. That's definitely the right thing for the president of the United States to do based on rumors and major foreign policy. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Sure sure sure. So let's get biden to do something drastic and massive on unconfirmed anything. That's definitely the right thing for the president of the United States to do based on rumors and major foreign policy. 

Do you even presidential immunity brah?