2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2008 Counties won by Obama:

County Barack Obama
Democratic
John McCain
Republican
Various candidates
Other parties
Margin Total
# % # % # % # %
Lake 139,301 66.64% 67,742 32.41% 1,996 0.95% 71,559 34.23% 209,039
Monroe 41,450 65.39% 21,118 33.32% 819 1.29% 20,332 32.07% 63,387
Marion 241,987 63.67% 134,313 35.34% 3,790 1.00% 107,674 28.33% 380,090
Perry 5,141 60.55% 3,202 37.71% 147 1.73% 1,939 22.84% 8,490
LaPorte 28,258 60.10% 17,918 38.11% 842 1.79% 10,340 21.99% 47,018
St. Joseph 68,710 57.87% 48,510 40.85% 1,519 1.28% 20,200 17.02% 118,739
Vigo 25,040 57.06% 18,121 41.29% 723 1.65% 6,919 15.77% 43,884
Delaware 28,384 56.80% 20,916 41.85% 676 1.36% 7,468 14.95% 49,976
Vermillion 4,003 56.10% 3,010 42.19% 122 1.71% 993 13.91% 7,135
Tippecanoe 37,781 55.05% 29,822 43.45% 1,033 1.50% 7,959 11.60% 68,636
Porter 39,178 52.77% 33,857 45.60% 1,211 1.63% 5,321 7.17% 74,246
Madison 30,152 52.49% 26,403 45.96% 889 1.55% 3,749 6.53% 57,444
Vanderburgh 39,423 50.60% 37,512 48.15% 978 1.26% 1,911 2.45% 77,913
Starke 4,778 50.41% 4,473 47.19% 228 2.41% 305 3.22% 9,479
Spencer 5,039 49.42% 5,001 49.05% 156 1.53% 38 0.37% 10,196

Probably not.  That NW section of Indiana is basically a Chicago suburb and knew Obama very well. 

He also fucking destroyed McCain and Romney in Wisconsin, which probably gets a lot of shared media with Chicago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

When roll call started with the cheesy DJ, I think most of us groaned at first. But then you realized it was just a joyous and energetic occasion.

The roll call has been and is supposed to be cheesy AF - it's basically 50+ little pep rallies to show off your state or territory.  It's usually the lamest part of the convention - look at this famous person or big name politico from our state while we recite some of our famous landmarks, foods, cultural icons, etc. 

It's just a chance for state delegations to flex a little and have a good time

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I am still stunned and pleased with how the Democratic Party has absolutely CRUSHED it since Biden dropped out. They are hitting on all cylinders everyday. 

Last night at the DNC was unbelievable. The production was top notch. When roll call started with the cheesy DJ, I think most of us groaned at first. But then you realized it was just a joyous and energetic occasion. They turned the most fucking boring party of a convention into a dance party. Incredible!

I'm not a rah rah Democrat. I've been very cynical about the party apparatus, particularly over the last 10 years. But I'm happy to admit their instincts are absolutely on point right now, and I get the feeling that it wasn't only Biden that stepped down a month ago. The old establishment finally let the younger generation take the reigns within the party itself. And it's firing on all cylinders. Keep it up. This is amazing. 

Yeah I was thinking about first time convention watchers earlier this morning. There's never been a political convention anything like this. They're typically dreadfully boring with an exciting speech at the most. Their team put together not only a great night at the DNC on the most difficult and boring of nights (state roll call) but packed an arena all the way in Milwaukee where the candidates appeared.  

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oh so you want to go back? Interesting.

I feel like with how her campaign and messaging has been run so far we shouldn't worry about that. They seem in touch with the base and the bases they're trying to pull from the grasp of MAGA as it continues to ostracize itself further and further.

Yes they've been doing great. As @Tucopointed out it seemed spontaneous. From a messaging standpoint I'd prefer it be a positive message. During Michelle's speech last night, the spontaneous chant was, "Do Something." The audience is energized and looking to participate. I listened to KH last night in Mwk and to my ears, "Not going back" was heard too often...I'm already tired of it and I just worry she would benefit from a different rallying cry. All due deference to her incredible campaign team...they have been absolutely amazing so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think it was intended to be a slogan. It was a line from an early speech, the crowd started chanting it, and the campaign realized they hit a nerve.

It wasn't - it's become a rallying cry and it was totally organic. Never seen anything like it.

I think the "we're not going back" thing is a good pushback to the GOP. It's a chance to flip the narrative from the GOP being able to say "we can make it better" to the Democrats being able to say "no, they will make it worse - and they wrote a book on how they will do it (Project 2025)." The GOP wrote down exactly how they plan to govern and a lot of it is very unpopular.

That said, wet blanket time for the Democrats:

The Democrats have a lot of momentum right now, but inflation and a tighter job market still loom large over everyone's lives.

Yes, gouging is a thing and so is corporate greed, but all the average person knows is things are more expensive and it's harder to find a job. Inflation has slowed, but things are still more expensive and wages haven't kept up. Those are facts and voters need someone to blame. The Democrats were in the White House as that occurred and there isn't an easy counter like there is on immigration with Trump killing the border bill. 

The good news for the Democrats is that Trump and many of the GOP candidates are terrible and can't stay on message to save their lives - and it's easy to pull them offsides with psyops like filling their convention arena on the night of the "official" nomination. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yeah I was thinking about first time convention watchers earlier this morning. There's never been a political convention anything like this. They're typically dreadfully boring with an exciting speech at the most. Their team put together not only a great night at the DNC on the most difficult and boring of nights (state roll call) but packed an arena all the way in Milwaukee where the candidates appeared.  

Yes they've been doing great. As @Tucopointed out it seemed spontaneous. From a messaging standpoint I'd prefer it be a positive message. During Michelle's speech last night, the spontaneous chant was, "Do Something." The audience is energized and looking to participate. I listened to KH last night in Mwk and to my ears, "Not going back" was heard too often...I'm already tired of it and I just worry she would benefit from a different rallying cry. All due deference to her incredible campaign team...they have been absolutely amazing so far. 

I mean lil Jon yelled and got a chant going for we're not going back during his performance. I like we're not going back I don't think it's a bad rallying cry. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, G650 said:

Heaven forbid I dissuade anyone from piling on JD Vance, but black shoes and navy suiting is the classic combination.

12 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

Agree with @Red Five, I won't knock anyone for it, but navy with some shade of brown shoes is where it's at. Fight me 

You brought it upon yourselves.

2554904758_750c5786c6_c.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

33 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I listened to KH last night in Mwk and to my ears, "Not going back" was heard too often...I'm already tired of it and I just worry she would benefit from a different rallying cry. All due deference to her incredible campaign team...they have been absolutely amazing so far. 

The Trumpers really got tired of “Lock her up” in 2016. Never really did resonate with that crowd and it quit energizing them after a couple of weeks.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Isn’t Polymarket crypto only and invested in by Thiel?

Another difference is that polymarket blocks US residents from  signing up. Now I've read that they don't really  try that hard to block people connecting via a VPN, but markets that are predominantly or significantly populated by non US residents may have a different bias than markets like PredictIt. 

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s a good counter to MAGA - it was not great back then, so why would we want to go back to that 

I think its a great battle cry when framed with  the GQP's project 2025 and its regressive agenda as the other outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Is the schedule published? I looked earlier for lineup and times but couldn’t find it.

Each day's official schedule has been published sometime around 1pm, give or take 45 minutes. edit - meaning times and the full list of speakers. Tonight is Buttigieg and Bill Clinton. Oh and Pelosi and Walz! 

Edited by Chopper

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

I think the "we're not going back" thing is a good pushback to the GOP. It's a chance to flip the narrative from the GOP being able to say "we can make it better" to the Democrats being able to say "no, they will make it worse - and they wrote a book on how they will do it (Project 2025)." The GOP wrote down exactly how they plan to govern and a lot of it is very unpopular.

I think we're not going back is a great counter to "Make America Great Again" for the people that view "MAGA" as a dog whistle on many levels:

• overt oppression and racism
  • hatred and intolerance from dear leader
  • retribution and division
  • overt political violence in the name of a fascist
  • lack of equality

It's vague enough to encompass many things, all bad, that Trump represents.  I also like the "I've seen that movie before" line that Barak threw out along with the "Sequels are always worse"

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 8/19/2024 at 5:30 PM, gmr548 said:

Along this line, Georgia Republicans are making it very clear they will not certify a Harris victory should it happen. Harris is in a tough position. She has to contest the state for variety of reasons but it also can't be counted on at all. Any path to victory hinging on Georgia as the tipping point is implausible. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/georgia-election-board-approves-new-rules-critics-fear-112960772

Even is she prevails in the electoral college without georgia, Harris needs to be suing the fuck out of those cocksuckers. And pressing federal charges.  

This is in addition to the mob that should storm the capital, of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Fantastic. Thread goes on to call out every member that signed as retired that is full of shit such as a Senior Airman E3.

Isn't "Stolen Valor" against the law? Aren't people sometimes prosecuted for that shit? Or do you actually have to gain something of tangible valor for it to be illegal?

@surlylawdogs

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Isn't "Stolen Valor" against the law? Aren't people sometimes prosecuted for that shit? Or do you actually have to gain something of tangible valor for it to be illegal?

@surlylawdogs

Dunno.  I only recall that I thought it was unconstitutionally vague. I remember thinking it might apply to actors in a military movie - or to family members who wanted to honor another family member by wearing a division patch on a piece of clothing - like I wore my fathers armored division patch on a baseball cap to honor him.  

I just assumed nobody thought that I was a veteran of a war fought before I was born - by wearing a patch of a division that is no longer in existence. 

I think the whole concept behind the law is stupid military knob jobbing, and a law that needed to be passed once every other problem in the country was solved.

• Hook 'Em 2

American Research Group with some numbers that help Kamala (no actual horserace numbers):

Biden approval at 45/49
Biden handling of the economy at 43/51
36% of people polled say the economy is getting better / 25% say its the same - so 61% do not think the economy is getting worse
54% do not believe we are in a recession

The better voters think of Biden + the economy, the better chance of Kamala winning 

• Hook 'Em 7

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I am still stunned and pleased with how the Democratic Party has absolutely CRUSHED it since Biden dropped out. They are hitting on all cylinders everyday. 

Last night at the DNC was unbelievable. The production was top notch. When roll call started with the cheesy DJ, I think most of us groaned at first. But then you realized it was just a joyous and energetic occasion. They turned the most fucking boring party of a convention into a dance party. Incredible!

I'm not a rah rah Democrat. I've been very cynical about the party apparatus, particularly over the last 10 years. But I'm happy to admit their instincts are absolutely on point right now, and I get the feeling that it wasn't only Biden that stepped down a month ago. The old establishment finally let the younger generation take the reins within the party itself. And it's firing on all cylinders. Keep it up. This is amazing. 

I agree, but....

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 12.40.17 PM.png

Edited by squib
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Money quotes:

How novel! Decrease abortions by enacting ACTUAL "pro family" policies! 

This would require a pretty big shift in how the GOP views things, unfortunately.

Yes, let's take care of the kids after they're born with healthcare, child tax credits, school lunches, good public education, etc.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Trump is speaking outdoors in Asheboro, NC.  

Weird stop.  One of my best friends from my first two years of college at N.C. State is from Asheboro and I've been there a few times.  It's a tiny shithole in BFE, not really close to any major metropolitan area.  Maybe it's the best place his campaign could find to which he didn't already owe a bunch of money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1