2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, HalfSack Horn said:

What an utterly stupid and factually incorrect statement.  Are there Maga fucks as teachers and coaches, yes, but nowhere to the levels seen with cops.   Teachers as a whole, lean heavily towards Dems.  

I thought we were talking about small town football coaches.

29 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Didn't you hear Tim Walz's speech on Wednesday night? He's going to be reminding everyone in the campaign to play to the whistle/buzzer. Plus Minnesota sports fans have a long memory of seeing what happens when you take the foot off the gas too soon.

That line bugged me. It’s supposed to be play through the whistle. Maybe some would find that confusing. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

How crazy would it be that two things turnip and radical republicans did during this convention would end up costing them bigly—

- making fun of Gus

- saying assistant coaches aren’t real coaches

Jesus.

LFG!

there is no doubt that I've begun the long slide into cynical old "this country is fucked while shaking fist at clouds" man , but that moment with Gus was for me probably the highlight of the entire damn convention. That scene was  emblematic of what politics at its best can be for an individual or even a country, and it put a huge smile on my face while simultaneously getting me  choked up. If I run into any MAGA cucks in real life that run their mouth about that moment, I'm gonna f'n go off bobby hill style.

bobby-hill-king-of-the-hill.gif.3406c250a1845a22891ddf50f0b55e40.gif

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

https://www.nj.com/politics/2024/08/harris-vs-trump-latest-presidential-poll-indicates-small-lead-is-exploding.html

Harris has a seven-point advantage over Trump — 50% to 43% — nationally, per the latest Fairleigh Dickinson University survey. The poll showed “Harris’ lead grows substantially” over questions of race and gender.

key takeaways from the survey:

Harris leads Trump 50 to 43 among likely voters.
Both Trump and Harris have the support of 95% of their respective political parties.
Harris leads Trump 38 to 33 among independents who do not lean toward either party
Seven percent said they will support someone else.

• Hook 'Em 7

59 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don’t know man, most football coaches are white guys in small rural towns and maga as fuck. He could call them cocksucking whistle jockeys, rape their wives on the 50 yard line, and they’d still weep for joy in support of their Cheeto god.

Biden won Arizona and Georgia by around 10k votes each - 0.31% and 0.24% margins respectively. There are no undecideds to persuade, despite what CNN thinks. Trump insulting his own voters isn't going to change their minds, but it might blunt their enthusiasm, which might cause them to stay home. And every little bit counts.

• Hook 'Em 8

On 8/21/2024 at 3:36 PM, Sawbonz said:

Who the fuck goes to the dps to register to vote? I avoid that place like the plague 

Well, fuckstick I assume is referring to "motor voter" registrations, where you can do it concurrently with renewing a DL.

Obviously, fuckstick doesn't know what a clusterfuck DPS is.  And maybe we know now why DPS is such a clusterfuck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I'm curious why the DNC hasn't seized on this story, by the way. Maybe the family didn't want to be involved for understandable reasons.

A young woman in Luling was killed by a Trump Abortion Ban (Cruz-Abbott Abortion Ban if you're Collin Allred).

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/01/15/abortion-high-risk-pregnancy-yeni-glick

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 7

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I know Pancho was probably watching, but Lawrence O’Donnell brought up a good point - the media was made aware of a very low profile race for California AG back in 2010, led by Karl Rove, who recognized that Harris was a future star/POTUS and was dead set on stopping her in that election. 

They failed. 

Rove is smart. 

My uncle has lived in the Bay Area for over 20 years and told my late mother about her back when she was still AG or maybe a senator. He said "she's going to be president."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Rove is smart. 

My uncle has lived in the Bay Area for over 20 years and told my late mother about her back when she was still AG or maybe a senator. He said "she's going to be president."

And they got close to stopping her - 46.1, 45.3 in a very red midterm. She knows tough races 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Beto is my guy. Texas doesn't deserve him at this time. I hope that one day this state will some day get to a point where we can send him to DC as a US senator.

Yeah, maybe after a cooling off period, he can try again.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Get real,  a staffer snuck onto Trump's account while he was napping to post this.

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The C is either a liar about the grade, their undecided status, or is a policy honk. Guessing it’s 2 since watching that moved them to team Trump. 

The C vote on the speech is a Real Estate Agent.  He likes Trump's pardon policy for J6 rioters

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, I don't remember being very much impressed with her in the 2020 primaries, but she's killing it right now.

I could be off but what I vaguely remember is she had one pretty decent debate performance early but then seemed to trail off and not really distinguish herself.  I seem to recall my personal preference towards the end was Delaney (never had a chance), then Biden, Klobuchar/Pete/Kamala with a pretty big gap after Biden.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Yeah, I don't remember being very much impressed with her in the 2020 primaries, but she's killing it right now.

A lot of really good candidates got lost in the noise of 20 people running.  She had a really good debate moment with Biden, but its damn hard to break out with 20+ people, many of whom were much higher household names than her (Biden, Bernie, Warren). She participated in the first 5 primary debates, which featured 10 in the first debate (on the 2nd night), 10 in the second debate (again on the 2nd night), 10 in the third debate, 12 in the fourth debate and 10 in the fifth debate.

When Biden stepped down and some stuff came out from her 2020 run, including a couple of ads, people were salivating over them and just likely never saw them since she dropped out pre-Iowa. 

She's improved substantially - 2020 VP run was very good, her debate with Pence was very good and she's had 4 years basically just giving speeches and politicking. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Agreed.  It was pretty impressive.  When she first took over the nomination I was of the opinion it wasn't likely she would have risen to the top of a true open Democratic primary.  After watching that speech (which is the definitively the most I've paid attention to her since the 2020 nomination process) I think pretty likely she would have come out on top in any event.  Not that it matters now, but in hindsight in an alternative scenario where Biden was still running, he really should have put her more in the spotlight. She had low favorability partially because she didn't seem to really do much or be highlighted as VP.  I was (wrongly) in the category believing she was a liability to Biden.   But the Kamala we saw last night would have put any concern about her taking over for Biden to bed.  Of course, that might have been the exact reason Biden staffers didn't want to put her in the spotlight if they were trying to avoid Biden stepping down.

In any event - I have not gone back and read the thread but I assume the consensus is she absolutely knocked it out of the park and I agree.

The timing of the switch was perfect whether planned or not.

1. Trump focused everything on Biden and it was like Kamala who?  for uncommitted voters
  2. The election was framed about which old guy was the least bad - but both old low energy guys
  3. She got through without a primary to defend herself against other Dems.
  4. The switch was after the RNC and it's focus was still on sleepy Joe
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

The switch was after the RNC and it's focus was still on sleepy Joe

LMAO, 60% of the time, Don-old is running against some mythical Biden-Shapiro ticket anyhow.  He living in his own reality, sometimes lucid enough to remember he's running against Harris until the Adderall wears off and he goes back to his low-energy shitposting on Truth Social about Joe Biden.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Good lord. Fox and Friends served up a meatball right down the middle of the plate and Trump whiffed.

In fairness, the Walz clip was about a minute long.  No one can expect a 78 year old dementia patient to pay attention for that amount of time.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Per MSNBC

Dem insiders saying their internal polling isn’t “as rosy” as the general polling in the swing states and they hope this convention will help with some separation

My concern in PA with the switch from Biden to Kamala is that the latent racism and misogyny in a portion of the old white dems lowers turnout. 

There’s a house I drive by when I go get tacos for lunch that has had a Biden Harris sign for like 6-8 months. Since the house next door has blossomed into full maga regalia. Last time I drove by the Biden sign is gone with nothing replacing it. 

Obviously just a single observation that likely means absolutely nothing. But my fear is that PA doesn’t come through for Harris the way it did for Biden. 

It was clear that enthusiasm for both old men was way down across the board. 

I’m hopeful that there a lot of people that haven’t yet formed an opinion of Kamala.  Hopefully they were watching last night.

That first debate could absolutely sway the battleground states significantly. The Trump campaign knows that which is why they were trying hard to get a Fox News debate out in front. I fully expect him to host a town hall on Fox and then say “well since she didn’t come to the one on Fox, I’m not going to the abc one.”

Im not sure how real any of my concerns with PA should be, vs just irrational fear. 

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A lot of really good candidates got lost in the noise of 20 people running.  She had a really good debate moment with Biden, but its damn hard to break out with 20+ people, many of whom were much higher household names than her (Biden, Bernie, Warren). 

It didn’t help that, for better or for worse, a lot of people had already picked Biden aka “Help us Joe Biden, you’re our only hope!” Both because of his being Obama’s VP (mostly that) but also he had been around and could handle Trump.

• Hook 'Em 2