2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

This is great, but isn't it very close to Hillary's majority in 2016, when she lost?

Also, if RFK was going to get something like 2% nationally (allegedly), where do they land, if they still vote at all?

This still feels way too close.  Bafflingly close.  And therefore very dangerous.  I'm just gonna sweat for the next 80 or so days.

If you go read the RFK Jr reddit or any of the other social media/websites devoted to him, a whole shitload of long-time supporters are pissed at him, so I'm thinking a lot of them may just stay home.  And I mean they are really pissed - they feel betrayed twice - first, that he tried to get something with Kamala and then betrayed again when he went for Donald "Operation Warp Speed" Trump.

Those forums/social media sites are now being flooded by Trumpers and Dems trying to upvote/downvote and post to influence them where to vote in November, but the long-time people can be easily spotted with their histories.  A bunch of them say they are going to vote for RFK where he's on the ballot as a "fuck you" to Trump.  

Just from reading their main subreddit, they were clearly never going to vote for Kamala, and most wouldn't vote for Trump because "he let Fauci run loose". The anti-vaccine crowd is a pretty "burn it all down" type of crowd.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Look at him, he knows exactly what kinds of donuts he prefers.  The problem is that he has no idea how to relate to real people face to face- so he comes off as a cone head. 

bet he struggles communicating with his human wife when her mouth hole opens up and starts making noises.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Dog said:

Rove is smart. 

My uncle has lived in the Bay Area for over 20 years and told my late mother about her back when she was still AG or maybe a senator. He said "she's going to be president."

She gave a commencement speech at a relative’s law school graduation at UCLA back in 2009 or so. We were in attendance and I was incredibly impressed with her at that graduation. That’s why I was so surprised and disappointed by her performance in the 2020 Primaries. I was pretty pissed when she was anointed a few weeks ago because of that. But she’s really impressed and basically played everything perfectly.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

BTW I am a construction business owner and a CPA, so by all accounts the results should be swapped.

Being in the construction business as well, I feel like a unicorn sometimes, but it does seem to be changing a bit.

Hope you don't get too down about your brother. Bike rides always help

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you go read the RFK Jr reddit or any of the other social media/websites devoted to him, a whole shitload of long-time supporters are pissed at him, so I'm thinking a lot of them may just stay home.  And I mean they are really pissed - they feel betrayed twice - first, that he tried to get something with Kamala and then betrayed again when he went for Donald "Operation Warp Speed" Trump.

Those forums/social media sites are now being flooded by Trumpers and Dems trying to upvote/downvote and post to influence them where to vote in November, but the long-time people can be easily spotted with their histories.  A bunch of them say they are going to vote for RFK where he's on the ballot as a "fuck you" to Trump.  

Just from reading their main subreddit, they were clearly never going to vote for Kamala, and most wouldn't vote for Trump because "he let Fauci run loose". The anti-vaccine crowd is a pretty "burn it all down" type of crowd.

The sooner they all get sick and die, the better. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The capital gains tax thing would fuck me so hard I’d probably get pink sock’d and shit blood for a year. But you know what, I’m still voting Harris. 

But plenty of people I know will use it as absolute proof to vote trump. They probably would have anyway, but now I’ll have to hear about it for the rest of my fucking life. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The capital gains tax thing would fuck me so hard I’d probably get pink sock’d and shit blood for a year. But you know what, I’m still voting Harris. 

But plenty of people I know will use it as absolute proof to vote trump. They probably would have anyway, but now I’ll have to hear about it for the rest of my fucking life. 

Even if the policy were to be enacted, it affects the ultra wealthy

What to know: Harris didn't release a new tax plan. Instead, her campaign said it agrees with a series of items in President Biden's last budget proposal, the most relevant of which were nonstarters in Congress and didn't become law.

This includes the new tax on unrealized capital gains.

It applies only to individuals with at least $100 million in wealth who do not pay at least a 25% tax rate on their income (inclusive of unrealized capital gains). Payments can be spread out over subsequent years.

Within that $100 million club, you'd only pay taxes on unrealized capital gains if at least 80% of your wealth is in tradeable assets (i.e., not shares of private startups or real estate). One caveat for this illiquid group is that there would be a deferred tax of up to 10% on unrealized capital gains upon exit.

In short, it would not apply to most startup founders or investors. If any group should be tweeting mad face emojis, it's top hedge fund managers.

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/23/kamala-harris-unrealized-capital-gains-tax

So if you're in that $100M net worth class that meets the additional caveats, congrats. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I need bout treefiddy for a new startup I'm doing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Anecdotal but this election cycle so far I am not noticing many Trump flags flying on trucks when I'm driving around. I feel like I couldn't go anywhere in 2020 without seeing those things...

Me too, but we also haven’t done our annual Labor Day trip to Port A yet.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

51 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Even if the policy were to be enacted, it affects the ultra wealthy

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/23/kamala-harris-unrealized-capital-gains-tax

So if you're in that $100M net worth class that meets the additional caveats, congrats. 

I haven’t read the policy, is it really not for above 100m? I’m taking about REALIZED capital gains. 

Because if it’s all capital gains, it would be horrendous for me because my retirement is based on my ability to sell my business. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I haven’t read the policy, is it really not for above 100m? Because if it’s all capital gains, it would be horrendous for me because my retirement is based on my ability to sell my business. 

Its 1B+ in assets or 100M in earnings 3 years in a row. 

It's also only on the unrealized gains during that time if your tax rate is sub 25% 

There is no change to normal cap gains based on this new tier AFAIK. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think what @SydneyCarton is trying to say is he is now in that group.  Complaining about unrealized capital gains is the new class indicator.  

lol. See my post above. You guys hand wave away anything financial as “oh the rich class” at times and it’s absurd. I’m talkinig about realized capital gains. Not Peter thiels billions in a Roth IRA bullshit. Which means it would also apply to home sales, etc. 

My ability to retire is pretty much tied in my ability to sell my business at some point. The government taking 40 or 45% of those profits versus 23% is a pretty big deal. And I’m not talking about tens of millions of dollars here so it’s easy to say “boo hoo.” 

And I’m still voting for Harris. But a lot of mother fuckers will blanche at the capital gain tax thing. 

48 minutes ago, immamac said:

I need bout treefiddy for a new startup I'm doing. 

What’s the business plan? 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That sound all of you heard across this great nation was the sound of my asshole unpuckering like Iconoclast Texan’s after making eye contact across a bar with Brisco Cain. 

I don’t think any politician but the most crazy left would ever dream of taking so much in capital gains from the first many millions, even with a carve out for real estate.  Would kill support from, and motivation to be, small business owners. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think what @SydneyCarton is trying to say is he is now in that group.  Complaining about unrealized capital gains is the new class indicator.  

There is zero chance this Supreme Court allows a tax on Unrealized Capitol gains. They’ll accept the argument the 16th Amendment doesn’t provide sufficient coverage. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What’s the business plan? 

Put the cloud in a closet.

???

Profit. 

Haha seriously though I am raising for a startup if you and g650 want to hear more I'll do that not in a thread. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

???

Profit. 

Haha seriously though I am raising for a startup if you and g650 want to hear more I'll do that not in a thread. 

Sure man, I,  in all seriousness, have been impressed your job growing this joint so I'm all ears for any tech venture you may be contemplating

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

???

Profit. 

Just say "AI" a lot and people will throw money at it.

• Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

48 minutes ago, immamac said:

???

Profit. 

It’s a Jump To Conclusions mat, isn’t it?

• Like 1