2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

I think their goal is to get Trump to cancel the debate.   He will look old and cowardly if he bails over a disagreement over terms, no matter what the earlier terms were.  
True, his myrmidons will believe whatever he says, but to independent ( and whatever undecided are remaining) voters he will look weak and old for ducking.
I think this is part of the playbook that they are successfully running to make him look small and non-threatening.

Him cancelling the debate will certainly be a counter to the argument that Harris is a coward because she won’t do interviews.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

I think their goal is to get Trump to cancel the debate.  

If that were true, it seems like an odd goal.  Whether mics are hot or not, I'd think Harris wants any debate to further show the contrast between her and Trump, which could be a lot worse than that between Biden and Trump back in June.  The mic issue is just gravy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woland said:

Him cancelling the debate will certainly be a counter to the argument that Harris is a coward because she won’t do interviews.

Oh please, the media gives him a pass in everything. They’ll say she changed the terms and that’s why no debate.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oh please, the media gives him a pass in everything. They’ll say she changed the terms and that’s why no debate.

“Is Harris running a campaign of bad faith and dishonesty because Trump cancelled the debate? What happened to the politics of decency and respect for an opponent and how can voters trust the Democrats to be honest public servants after they ruined political campaigns?” - NYT

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

there were never any terms for a Harris Trump debate. Any discussions were about a Biden Trump debate.

And I don’t think the media matters. “Trump cancels debate” will be the headline.     One thing about Trump is that he bloviates so much is there is most assuredly some clip of him talking about ‘anytime anywhere’ I’ll debate.   He can’t help himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think their goal is to get Trump to cancel the debate.   He will look old and cowardly if he bails over a disagreement over terms, no matter what the earlier terms were.  

True, his myrmidons will believe whatever he says, but to independent ( and whatever undecided are remaining) voters he will look weak and old for ducking.

I think this is part of the playbook that they are successfully running to make him look small and non-threatening.

Take it easy there thesaurus boy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

You are correct in that point.

However, they've used the argument that the agreement was settled before in order to keep Trump from bailing and doing additional debates. Now they are trying to flip the script and make changes? 

The Harris campaign is trying to have it both ways.

Not really. They are ridiculing him and playing up the “any time any place” boast he made. Wanting the other side muted is a clear sign of weakness. Make trump demand it and play that demand for all it’s worth

11 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Even if you feel really great about going to trial, it is not unusual for there to be some moment in the trial where your key witness testimony does not go as planned, and somebody makes a mistake and says something stupid or wrong on a crucial thing.

The reason you settle good cases too is that you want to eliminate the chance of a bad result. If you can get a jog-to-third triple with no chance of an out - - instead of a Home-run possibility with a chance of striking or flying out - you take the triple.    

If you can make Trump look weak and feeble and scared and remove any possible downside of a misspeak in a debate against the pathological liar, campaign manager Ubet would take the no debate in a heartbeat at this point.   And if he won’t back out, you can force him to use your own terms.  Which is in and of itself a power-play that diminishes Trump.

I applaud the strategy.

Yeah, at this point Kamala is winning. She shouldn't back out of debates, but Trump really can't do that. He needs them a lot more than she does.

• Hook 'Em 2

It probably doesn't really matter to the Harris camp.  The point may be that they're able to make Trump play defense on small stuff.  He'll ramble on about muted mics in speeches for a week.  He'll looks like a confused, old man doing it.  Meanwhile, she keeps campaigning and taking ground.

1 hour ago, tx ind said:

I just want there to be some actual fact checking on Trump.

My simple brain doesnt even understand how that could transpire. Every batch of verbal diarrhea that spills out of his fucking mouth is full of inaccuracies and lies. You cant even keep up. What would it look like? a 90 second rant by dotard, followed by a 10 minute fact checking explanation 10 minutes after the fact, and after the debate has already moved on. He is incapable of telling the truth, the entire fucking thing would bog down. 

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

My simple brain doesnt even understand how that could transpire. Every batch of verbal diarrhea that spills out of his fucking mouth is full of inaccuracies and lies. You cant even keep up. What would it look like? a 90 second rant by dotard, followed by a 10 minute fact checking explanation 10 minutes after the fact, and after the debate has already moved on. He is incapable of telling the truth, the entire fucking thing would bog down. 

Not at all.  You have one person who says "that was a lie" to a team of a half dozen or so fact checkers, and they take turns rotating through a quick google search after which they put up a simple refutation.  It probably wouldn't take a minute per.

22 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

there were never any terms for a Harris Trump debate. Any discussions were about a Biden Trump debate.

And I don’t think the media matters. “Trump cancels debate” will be the headline.     One thing about Trump is that he bloviates so much is there is most assuredly some clip of him talking about ‘anytime anywhere’ I’ll debate.   He can’t help himself.

Oh please, you think the media cares about that nuance? The headline will be "Harris Spurns Debate." At best, it will be "Debate Cancelled as for Inability to Agree to Terms." Only MSNBC will tell the truth that trump cowered his way out of the debate. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

you guys are smoking some insane drugs if you think Harris is going to "back out of the debate" or get blamed for it not happening and Trump backing out. 

Yes, if the debate doesn't happen, the media will blame Harris. That's what they do, truth be damned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Someone should ask him directly if he'd want microphones muted in the debate whenever he's not speaking.

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

????????????????

Good enough for me.

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yes, if the debate doesn't happen, the media will blame Harris. That's what they do, truth be damned

I simply agree to disagree. If Trump backs out, he looks bad. Full stop. I also said if she pushes it like a boss, he will have to agree or look bad.  He just agreed to open mics.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Don't repeat the same lines that the right says about the mainstream media. It's a bad look

I'm not calling them the enemy of the people or bullshit like that, but their inability to call Donald Trump out for his constant bs and constantly giving him the benefit of the doubt as though he's just another ordinary politician is becoming infuriating. The "NY Times Pitch Bot" exists for a reason, the media's disparate treatment of the two party candidates is too blatant to ignore. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The fact that it would even matter whether the microphones are on or not is a terrible thing and a sign that society is fucked. These are supposed to be two people who are in a job interview for a pretty serious position and one of them can't stop saying stupid ass shit for more than 5 seconds.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

JD who?

LOL you know there's been convos, serious or not, within Trumpworld about how do we get Vance off the ticket and add Kennedy.  It would be HILARIOUS, but it's not going to happen. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

IMG_5997.gif

apropos to nothing, Julia Sweeney being chosen for that role was always odd to me. seems like they forgot to cast someone for that part and grabbed whomever was on set that day. maybe there's more to it than I know. anyway, carry on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I simply agree to disagree. If Trump backs out, he looks bad. Full stop. I also said if she pushes it like a boss, he will have to agree or look bad.  He just agreed to open mics.  

I would guess the majority of concerns the Harris team might have is from the moderators, not Trump. There will be pointed questions on wedge issues with no great upside and plenty of land mines.

I think you still have the debate, regardless of the mic rules. I think the contrast will be striking and there are plenty of people still not paying attention. (They won’t see the debate, but they will see clips, hear summaries, and laugh at parodies.) But I can get the motivation if you think you are ahead. Although, I think the campaign has aspirations to kill the MAGA movement,not just win this election.

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

apropos to nothing, Julia Sweeney being chosen for that role was always odd to me. seems like they forgot to cast someone for that part and grabbed whomever was on set that day. maybe there's more to it than I know. anyway, carry on

I've always thought the same.  I never really cared for her on SNL, and she's not that attractive and not someone I would think is in the same league as The Wolfe.

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Trump campaign putting a small ad buy in West Palm Beach.  I assume because he wants to see his ads on TV when he's at MAL, doing nothing. 

There are several Trump billboards on I-95 in Palm Beach.  I just assume their only purpose is so Trump can see them on his way to the airport.

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It damages the movie, IMO. Just doesn't match the rest of it. 

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've always thought the same.  I never really cared for her on SNL, and she's not that attractive and not someone I would think is in the same league as The Wolfe.

Julia Sweeney is friends with Quinton Tarantino, who did an uncredited rewrite of the script for “It’s Pat.”

5 minutes ago, locodos said:

There are several Trump billboards on I-95 in Palm Beach.  I just assume their only purpose is so Trump can see them on his way to the airport.

Yep. They’re reinforcing his bubble by making sure he sees his ads in person and on TV at MAL