2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

58 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Just a little reminder about election fuckery fighters 

Honestly,  I'm less concerned about the actual vote these days, than I am about the rat-fucking the GQP is planning to suppress and override the vote. Lawyers dont work for free, so where does the money come from to bankroll all of their work? Am I misguided in seeking a way to steer my donations to the legal effort? I see Elias' tweets here and it sounds like he has a much bigger team now than 2020, who bankrolls all of that? 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And really, why would they?  Why would we expect anyone--politician or otherwise--to maintain the same position year after year?  Why would we expect anybody not to change position as they receive new information?

oh i get it.  i think "flip flopping" is overused.  views can certainly evolve over time.  but Trump's don't.  he just says what people want to hear in the moment.  very transactional.  but alas, it doesn't matter.  just nauseating that we have think pieces on Harris's supposed flip flopping while can say wholly contradictory things in the same speech and it's always a nothingburger.

speaking of burgers, i need in on a lunch at the Tavern with y'all next time i'm in Austin.  i need that air condition.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

oh i get it.  i think "flip flopping" is overused.  views can certainly evolve over time.  but Trump's don't.  he just says what people want to hear in the moment.  very transactional.  but alas, it doesn't matter.  just nauseating that we have think pieces on Harris's supposed flip flopping while can say wholly contradictory things in the same speech and it's always a nothingburger.

speaking of burgers, i need in on a lunch at the Tavern with y'all next time i'm in Austin.  i need that air condition.

Give us a shout--we're always up for a warm, warm cheddar blanket.

39 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Pretty good coincidence that this great Rick Pearlstein piece on flip flopping and effective political communication just dropped yesterday:

19 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--I don't know about all that.

But what I will say is that the Democrats have finally flipped back to playing traditional politics against Trump.  And the traditional style of politics had a tradition behind it because it worked.

From 2015 to just a couple months ago, Democrats were purely reactive to Trump.  They framed themselves as the Contra-Trump.  Whatever Trump said he was for, they were against.  And for the most part, that worked because Trump is generally in favor of policies that are noxious, racist, or often just plain dumb.

Harris has abandoned that.  Now, Trump says "I will get rid of taxes on tips."  It's kind of popular.  So Harris, instead of instinctively rejecting it, steals it and makes a few tweaks to ensure that it can't be used by hedge fund managers to evade taxation.  

That's fucking old-school politics.  Your opponent has a popular policy proposal?  Fucking steal it.

Democrats were so drawn offside by Donald Trump for sixteen goddamned years that we forgot how to do that.  It's good to see us remember how to actually do electoral politics.  And now it's Trump who's completely off balance.

I don't agree with everything in that article, but I do think it's on to something with the Harris/Walz ticket, and I would call it "authenticity."  Most politicians speak, and you pretty quickly realize you are listening to a politician -- a shady salesperson hawking ideas bought and sold with votes.  With the truly gifted politicians you don't get that sense.  You feel like you are just listening to someone with a lot of common sense telling it like it is and presenting ideas against problems.  When I listen to Harris and Walz, I don't feel like someone is trying to sell me a lemon.

Trump is interesting in this regard.  I think he is authentically an asshole, moron and disruptor of the status quo.  That speaks to the politically disenfranchised who value his authenticity in that regard.  But I don't think he's authentically attempting to make anything better for anyone other than himself and a small minority of would be oligarchs.  He's the ultimate manifestation of this meme, and a good number of people have been made so angry and afraid that they cannot recognize they have a lot more in common with the minority sitting with them at the table of the common man than the wealthy asshole who has stopped by to rile them both up.

image.thumb.jpeg.c4bf3f67a830833d6603c5ea4a430fa4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Flip flopping is also simply incorrect here. The vote here is just about the wall. And it isn't even about getting new funding for the wall. It is about extending the timeline to spend the previously approved funding for the wall combined with another immigration reforms, including a lot of additional money for immigration lawyers and judges. Harris doesn't believe the wall is good expenditure of funds any more than she did before. But when you combine that with the compromise of getting needed additional funds to speed up the asylum process (which is like 90% of the "problem" at the border), agreeing to allow the wall to continue being built isn't so bad. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I'd love for this to be the second question asked of Trump in the debate:  "Mr. Trump, you recently indicated that those who desecrate government property should go to jail for 10 years. Does this include those who attacked the capitol building on Jan. 6, 2020? Why or why not?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Honestly,  I'm less concerned about the actual vote these days, than I am about the rat-fucking the GQP is planning to suppress and override the vote. Lawyers dont work for free, so where does the money come from to bankroll all of their work? Am I misguided in seeking a way to steer my donations to the legal effort? I see Elias' tweets here and it sounds like he has a much bigger team now than 2020, who bankrolls all of that? 

Elias Law Group - Wikipedia

In a 2021 interview[2] with The New Yorker, Elias said the firm "represents only clients who meet at least one of three criteria: they must be Democrats or an organization that helps Democrats win elections; they are bringing cases that challenge laws that restrict voting; or they are a progressive group that meets the values of our firm."

Chambers and Partners, the leading independent professional legal research company, described[3] Elias Law Group as "a political law boutique boasting a deep bench of experienced practitioners able to advise on complex election law matters. The firm offers particular prowess in voting rights and redistricting litigation and is well placed to assist Democratic campaigns and institutions, as well as nonprofit organizations."

In 2022, POLITICO reported[4] that Elias Law Group represented 950 clients, including more than 150 Democratic House and Senate campaigns and Members of Congress.

He resigned from one of the largest corporate law firms to start ELG, and brought a large group of his old firm's lawyers, and of course clients, with him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, Blotto said:

bankrolls all of that? 

Funding

Democracy Docket Legal Fund was financed by numerous left-of-center grantmaking foundations through the Hopewell Fund in 2020. The Sandler Foundation, after committing to donate $200 million to “racial justice groups” after the police-custody death of George Floyd, 4 gave $1.5 million. 5 The Sherwood Foundation, the charitable grantmaking foundation of Susan A. Buffet, gave $500,000. 6 The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation gave $800,000, by far its largest donation to the Hopewell Fund. 7 The Omidyar Network, the grantmaking foundation of eBay-founder Pierre Omidyar, gave $1.5 million. 8

In April 2021, Bad Robot, the film production company run by J.J. Abrams, along with the Katie McGrath and J.J. Abrams Foundation, donated $1 million to DDLF. 9 10

https://www.influencewatch.org/organization/democracy-docket-legal-fund-ddlf/

And from the opposition 

Arabella-managed funds act as a conduit for deep-pocketed liberal donors to stealthily bankroll numerous left-wing groups. It manages three separate funds in addition to Hopewell: the Sixteen Thirty Fund, the New Venture Fund and the Windward Fund. 

Wealthy Democratic donors use these funds to pour cash into dozens of initiatives that fall under Arabella's umbrella. 

According to the network's most recent tax forms, the four funds combined to haul in $715 million in cash from secret donors in 2019 alone. The group also pushes money to outside organizations that do not fall under its auspices. 

____

"Marc Elias just launched his new firm, but what has not been reported is the funding source for his lawsuits," Americans for Public Trust Executive Director Caitlin Sutherland told Fox News. "Mr. Elias frequently raises money for the Democracy Docket Action Fund, but what he isn't telling his loyal followers is the fund is a project of the Arabella-connected North Fund."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dark-money-network-gives-dem-lawyer-nearly-unlimited-funding-for-voting-rights-lawsuits-watchdog-says

• Hook 'Em 5

32 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

won more on emotional connection to the candidates who can provide a vision of a brighter future - and not the candidates who have the strongest wonky plank of issues that can be matched against the other party’s  platform.

About damn time too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I've been in Austin for about two decades now. I've never eaten at the Tavern 😔

Without the haze of nostalgia ever present you’re not missing much.  It’s pretty generic bar food and $8 for a pint of beer is a little extreme.

• Hook 'Em 1

Without the haze of nostalgia ever present you’re not missing much.  It’s pretty generic bar food and $8 for a pint of beer is a little extreme.

Sometimes it’s worth $8 to see all my ghosts wandering around in there.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

#MeToo

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Well she is a dumb, nasty woman who decided to turn into a black person.   People are saying. 

You seen Don lately? His orange face is slowly becoming brown. By November, hes gonna tell everyone he now goes by El Doñald Trompo

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Politico is hilarious. I can give 5 warning signs for Turnip:

His favorables have nosedived

Hes Now lagging with independents

His lead with women and college educated suburban voters is gone 

His Vp is historically unpopular

Hes old as fuck and Harris is not 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They just can't help themselves.

The biggest issue with this article and all media actually is they nitpick on Kamala and try and find issues for her but they totally ignore that the other candidate is a rapist, liar and convicted felon who lead an insurrection.  Nothing about what a shit show his presidency was either.  I swear she could be running against Jeffrey Dahmer and the media would ignore that he is a serial killer and ask why Kamala won’t do more interviews with the media.  

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Politico is hilarious. I can give 5 warning signs for Turnip:

His favorables have nosedived

Hes Now lagging with independents

His lead with women and college educated suburban voters is gone 

His Vp is historically unpopular

Hes old as fuck and Harris is not 

He tried to steal the last election, and people aren't generally fond of dictators. 

We could do this all day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

can they replace him at this point? I sincerely don't know how that would work

It’s very unlikely. Ballots go out in less than 2 weeks in some places 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, it started with RFK Jr getting horny over Tulsi Gabbard officially jumping on the Trump Train.

Linda Carter can still get it, so this hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, safe sex said:

I've been in Austin for about two decades now. I've never eaten at the Tavern 😔

All HELL naw. You gotta go. I loved it so I am shocked that it still exists. Can you still shoot pool in that little upper area?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, it started with RFK Jr getting horny over Tulsi Gabbard officially jumping on the Trump Train.

Bitch please. More like Cheetah joined the Legion of Doom.

21678240%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

All HELL naw. You gotta go. I loved it so I am shocked that it still exists. Can you still shoot pool in that little upper area?

No fucking clue; I've never been

• Drool 1