2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

The only way I can solve that is by going back in time and killing Newt Gingrich before he became Speaker.
he is the author of the GOP paradigm shift that says you can’t be against the other person on ideas and policy, you have to personally demonize your opponent.   I am not saying that he invented negative campaigning, but he did insist that his contract with America troops start personally attacking Democrats and accusing them of horrific things to gain an electoral advantage.   It was so tremendously effective that it was adopted universally by the GOP.   Karl Rove fine tuned it - in that he discovered inventing bullshit wedge issues - like flag burning laws - allowed the GOP to accuse Democrats of being anti-American…. (Instead of being advocates of protecting constitutionally permissible rights. )
Newt was the Godfather of the current lack of congeniality.  He also coordinated with Rush Limbaugh and others to make sure that the talking points were spewed all over America on the regular. 

Newt, Rush, and Fox. 3 things I could really do without.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I’m honestly surprised the campaign still lets this chud out in public. Every appearance is a new embarrassing soundbite.

Same is true for Trump.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

As long as Kamala doesn't get some bullshit injury because Sark left her on the field in the fourth quarter with the game easily put away, we're going to win the whole fucking thing.  

It's starting to feel like a game where you know you're the better team but trail all the first half, make some halftime adjustments and start chipping away at the lead.  You tie it up or take a lead going into the 4th quarter when the other team's will to continue totally breaks.  Rout city the rest of the way.  Walk-ons will be playing the last couple of possessions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's starting to feel like a game where you know you're the better team but trail all the first half, make some halftime adjustments and start chipping away at the lead.  You tie it up or take a lead going into the 4th quarter when the other team's will to continue totally breaks.  Rout city the rest of the way.  Walk-ons will be playing the last couple of possessions.

Texas/Rice 2023

• Rage+1 1

Nate Silver reminding everyone why he sucks - posts a long article that Harris as a "PA problem" while citing 4/5 polls that are purely R-partisan polls (Cygnal, Inside Advantage, Rasmussen, Fabrizio) showing a tied or Trump +1 race, while ignoring a bunch of polls pre-DNC that had Harris up in PA. 

Siena, Susquehana, Franklin & Marshall all had Harris up 3-4

Not How It Works Bounty Hunter GIF by DefyTV

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The only way I can solve that is by going back in time and killing Newt Gingrich before he became Speaker.

he is the author of the GOP paradigm shift that says you can’t be against the other person on ideas and policy, you have to personally demonize your opponent.   I am not saying that he invented negative campaigning, but he did insist that his contract with America troops start personally attacking Democrats and accusing them of horrific things to gain an electoral advantage.   It was so tremendously effective that it was adopted universally by the GOP.   Karl Rove fine tuned it - in that he discovered inventing bullshit wedge issues - like flag burning laws - allowed the GOP to accuse Democrats of being anti-American…. (Instead of being advocates of protecting constitutionally permissible rights. )

Newt was the Godfather of the current lack of congeniality.  He also coordinated with Rush Limbaugh and others to make sure that the talking points were spewed all over America on the regular. 

Go back further to Reagan and his embrace of the "moral majority" where being a democrat was not only wrong on policy but literally evil in the eyes of god, which of course was a distraction for trickle down economics and the ensuing economic inequality that saw nearly all of our economic gains consolidated at the top. I think Rove was also the one who coined the "mainstream media" as a pejorative so that anything they did that was reported as negative to the economy or rights was just "fake news" (the later catchphrase for the concept). “The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Lots of bastards to share the blame for where we've ended up, and none of them realize it, or care. My sincere hope is that sometime in the near future one of these people has a come to jesus revelation and lays it all out and apologizes for letting their political ambitions go so far as to result in political violence and the death of objective truth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Go back further to Reagan and his embrace of the "moral majority" where being a democrat was not only wrong on policy but literally evil in the eyes of god, which of course was a distraction for trickle down economics and the ensuing economic inequality that saw nearly all of our economic gains consolidated at the top. I think Rove was also the one who coined the "mainstream media" as a pejorative so that anything they did that was reported as negative to the economy or rights was just "fake news" (the later catchphrase for the concept). “The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Lots of bastards to share the blame for where we've ended up, and none of them realize it, or care. My sincere hope is that sometime in the near future one of these people has a come to jesus revelation and lays it all out and apologizes for letting their political ambitions go so far as to result in political violence and the death of objective truth.

Reagan had the 11th commandment: “No Republican shall speak ill of another Republican. “

That one did not hold up so well.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I was just telling @Ghost of LL that it feels a whole lot more like a game against North Texas, and folks are getting giddy that the odds look good for us to win by a FG.

A win is nice.  But for fuck's sake, let's put on our "let's see the whole world as it is" glasses.  Trump and Trumpism are fucking horrible.  Any one thing about them (being rapists, being convicted felons, shitting on CMOH recipients, getting in a fight with staff at Arlington, and LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF OTHER THINGS) is totally disqualifying in any other world/political climate.  This is a candidate and movement that should lose the EV in all 50 states.  We should trounce them 60-10 (I give 'em the late TD, because we put in scrubs in the 4th Q).  Yet we're here working our asses off and having to play through the whistle HOPING that we can pull off a 3 pt win.

What the fucking fuck?  WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCKING FUCK?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

Hell, I didn't even list all of my college jobs.  No one needs to know that I was so desperate that I took a job cleaning shower stalls at a truck stop for 2 months.

You probably should have stopped leaving your phone number then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This might be my favorite screenshot from any of these poll dorks ever.  Check the first and third columns.

If you think that we won't see a headline from the NYT in the next 30 days along the lines of "Why Kamala Harris getting more Electoral College votes than Donald Trump means she will lose the election," you haven't been paying attention.

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

If you think that we won't see a headline from the NYT in the next 30 days along the lines of "Why Kamala Harris getting more Electoral College votes than Donald Trump means she will lose the election," you haven't been paying attention.

They've put the poor Pitchbot guy out of business.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I thought UT was more liberal than that?

It's truly a large school in terms of student body diversity and as you can imagine the field of study. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, YChang said:

It's truly a large school in terms of student body diversity and as you can imagine the field of study. 

I was just making a joke that you guys are now one of the schools you've made fun of forever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

17 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This might be my favorite screenshot from any of these poll dorks ever.  Check the first and third columns.

So this is saying, in public, that Harris only has a 64% chance of winning the national popular vote?

out of 40k simulations, Trump wins the PV in over 14k of them?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So this is saying, in public, that Harris only has a 64% chance of winning the national popular vote?

out of 40k simulations, Trump wins the PV in over 14k of them?

This is what I wonder about these things. If your numbers spit that out, instead of publishing, maybe take another look. "Well that's obviously not right...."

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

This is what I wonder about these things. If your numbers spit that out, instead of publishing, maybe take another look. "Well that's obviously not right...."

It can’t be our formula that is wrong. Must be wonky data. GIGO. Oh well.

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Wow she looks like she could be Shari Headley's sister or cousin.

JKqc9fkNkaPZbr5PyKSXhWg62hiB1Z.jpg

Wait....so we get this song about Kamala?  IN.

6cbe1ca9-e371-479c-8334-30bcf1b53bd0_tex

And yes, I know that's from the beginning of the movie, not the end when he hooks up with his eventual love, but goddamn, it's just a great song.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

If Dems hit their 2020 marks in SEPA and Allegheny, PA is not going to be won by Trump

There should also be more voters voting in person this time, compared to 2020, for obvious reasons.  So PA shouldn't take 3 days to count the votes.

• Hook 'Em 6

34 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Ridiculous.

Nate is falling into the 2022 problem a lot of pundits did (and he did as well) - the GOP floods the zone with partisan R polls, the narrative becomes that the GOP is winning, then the results come in and everyone is like...

My s gop GIF en GIFER - de Kall

Ideally, we start getting weekly or bi-weekly state level polls starting next month

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nate Silver reminding everyone why he sucks - posts a long article that Harris as a "PA problem" while citing 4/5 polls that are purely R-partisan polls (Cygnal, Inside Advantage, Rasmussen, Fabrizio) showing a tied or Trump +1 race, while ignoring a bunch of polls pre-DNC that had Harris up in PA. 

It’s obvious that Nate Silver is the Billy Luicci of poll pundits.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Does this mean that Kamala's EC wins are by much, much larger majorities than Trump's? In other words, he wins the EC 52.4% of the time they run the sim but his margins are by a couple of EC votes like in that 270-268 range but Kamala's getting closer to 300 in the 47.3% that she wins. Could that be it? Otherwise, that don't look right.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Red Five said:

I don't get it. Just being dicks for the purpose of being dicks?

It worked in 2016, but Trump is not new and he’s not running against Hillary. 

Dotard threatened in print to have Zuckerberg arrested. I have mixed feeling about it tbh. My first inclination is for Biden to order them both "neutralized." https://www.politico.com/news/2024/08/28/trump-zuckerberg-election-book-00176639

image.thumb.png.df34626f3620998b5b4590fb376114f1.png

Spoiler

Mark Zuckerberg earlier this week wrote that the Biden administration had tried to “pressure” Meta to downplay certain content about Covid-19. | Andrew Harnik/AP

By Alex Isenstadt

08/28/2024 04:57 PM EDT

Former President Donald Trump writes in a new book set to be published next week that Mark Zuckerberg plotted against him during the 2020 election and said the Meta chief executive would “spend the rest of his life in prison” if he did it again.

It represents Trump’s most recent attack on Zuckerberg, who he has repeatedly accused of intervening in the last presidential election. And it comes as Meta has taken steps to assure conservatives it will not influence this year’s campaign.

“Save America,” a Trump-authored coffee table book being released Sept. 3, includes an undated photograph of Trump meeting with Zuckerberg in the White House. Under the photo, Trump writes that Zuckerberg “would come to the Oval Office to see me. He would bring his very nice wife to dinners, be as nice as anyone could be, while always plotting to install shameful Lock Boxes in a true PLOT AGAINST THE PRESIDENT,” Trump added, referring to a $420 million contribution Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, made during the 2020 election to fund election infrastructure.

“He told me there was nobody like Trump on Facebook. But at the same time, and for whatever reason, steered it against me,” Trump continues. “We are watching him closely, and if he does anything illegal this time he will spend the rest of his life in prison — as will others who cheat in the 2024 Presidential Election.”

Trump has made similar remarks about Zuckerberg before. Trump wrote in a July post on Truth Social that if elected he would pursue “ELECTION FRAUDSTERS at levels never seen before, and they will be sent to prison for long periods of time. We already know who you are. DON’T DO IT! ZUCKERBUCKS, be careful!”
Donald Trump speaks while gesturing with his hands.

Former President Donald Trump has repeatedly accused Zuckerberg of intervening in the last presidential election. | Carolyn Kaster/AP

A Meta spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Republicans have criticized Meta for suppressing content that would have damaged President Joe Biden in 2020, most notably reporting about the then-candidate’s son, Hunter. At the time, the FBI warned the coverage may have been part of a Russian-orchestrated effort to influence the election.

Zuckerberg sent a letter on Monday to the Republican-controlled House Judiciary Committee acknowledging it was a mistake to have suppressed the story, saying it has “since been made clear that the reporting was not Russian disinformation, and in retrospect, we shouldn’t have demoted the story,”

In the same letter, Zuckerberg wrote that the Biden administration had tried to “pressure” Meta to downplay certain content about Covid-19, which he said was “wrong” for the White House to have done. Zuckerberg also said he would not make similar contributions to fund election infrastructure ahead of this year’s election, though he also stressed that the funding was not intended to appear partisan in nature.

“Save America” is being released by Winning Team Publishing, which was co-founded by Donald Trump Jr. and Sergio Gor, a Trump ally.

Edited by Chopper
link

Quinnipiac nstional - Harris 49, Trump 48. 49-47 with the full field

Their last poll was Trump +4 over Biden in June and Trump +2 against a hypothetical Harris (before the drop out) and +4 against the full field. So a 6 point swing left in the full field of candidates 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5