2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

36 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I bet if you made a $ spent advertising vs. votes changed graph, it would looks something like this.

Logarithmic curve

graph doesn't start at 0,0  I assume $ on the X and votes on the Y

57 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The amount of money spent in politics is just sickening. 

Most of it goes into the pockets of consultants if you're not independently wealthy and funding things yourself. That's where the big money is. If you can start your own Mayes Media, Murphy Nasica, etc and win you'll be rolling in the dough 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Interesting and fun historical fact that Lobo would appreciate (RIP 😪)

Only once in US history has a President, their VP and their VP's VP all been elected president - Washington, then his VP Adams, and then his VP Jefferson.  Which was under the old system where the VPs were elected separately. 

Eisenhower, his VP Nixon and then his VP Ford all served as president, but we know Ford was not elected.

We have a chance to do it again - Obama, his VP Biden, and his VP Harris. 

they'll make nice bookends for our country

• Haha 2

My kid proudly mailed off her voter registration today. She turns 18 a few days before the election. 
Gen Z is ready to save America from the boomers while us Gen Xers get black out drunk on election night.

Mine turns 18 Dec 10. She’s bummed.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Looks like we've got our "Willie Horton".

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Ah... the old "Willie Horton" play.  

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It won't matter.  Trump could have killed the agent and strangled the wife himself and it won't matter.

It's infuriating, actually.  On almost a daily basis there is something that would DQ any other candidate from either party but nothing matters.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Trump's campaign will just answer with stories of migrants killing young white women and blaming that on Border Czar Kamala. It's a lose-lose proposition. 

I'm fascinated by how much the political landscape has shifted in just a few decades.  

I remember vividly how the Bush campaign was chastised by Democrats for the racist dog whistle sounded by the Horton ads.  In case you've forgotten, here's a refresher: https://www.history.com/news/george-bush-willie-horton-racist-ad

I doubt the actual Harris/Walz campaign touches this issue because of the above.   However, there is an army of supporters on Twitter and other social media platforms that will continue to publicize it.

If we are all in agreement that it won't actually hurt Trump, there is very little value in hammering this issue, and a lot of collateral damage that could result.

Attacking Trump isn't going to win this election.  Highlighting the Harris/Walz character, competence, and vision will.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I'm fascinated by how much the political landscape has shifted in just a few decades.  

I remember vividly how the Bush campaign was chastised by Democrats for the racist dog whistle sounded by the Horton ads.  In case you've forgotten, here's a refresher: https://www.history.com/news/george-bush-willie-horton-racist-ad

I doubt the actual Harris/Walz campaign touches this issue because of the above.   However, there is an army of supporters on Twitter and other social media platforms that will continue to publicize it.

If we are all in agreement that it won't actually hurt Trump, there is very little value in hammering this issue, and a lot of collateral damage that could result.

Attacking Trump isn't going to win this election.  Highlighting the Harris/Walz character, competence, and vision will.

Agree it's hard to damage Trump sice the bar is soooooo low.

However, unlike Willie Horton which was the result of a program, this is a direct "you in particular" type of deal.

There have been so many.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Interesting and fun historical fact that Lobo would appreciate (RIP 😪)

Only once in US history has a President, their VP and their VP's VP all been elected president - Washington, then his VP Adams, and then his VP Jefferson.  Which was under the old system where the VPs were elected separately. 

Eisenhower, his VP Nixon and then his VP Ford all served as president, but we know Ford was not elected.

We have a chance to do it again - Obama, his VP Biden, and his VP Harris. 

Harris is simply bringing home and solidifying the Obama coalition.

20 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Belittling him will likely win the election with this electorate. 

I don't know why you would waste time highlighting the character of someone running against this piece of shit.  

• Haha 1

I think you have run some ads really calling him out.

Like one that just says who wants an old, senile, hateful, racist, rapist, felon, weird, con man as President. While showing a bunch of imagery of the above in the background.

Over. And over. And over. And over.

But what do I know.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

ads really calling him out.

I think they could tap Adam McKay and Brian Cox to make a spot reminding voters that Trump is a moron.

Reminding voters that he can't keep them safe, he wouldn't have cared about COVID if it had struck in 2017 or 2018, the only serious person he had advising him on COVID was a holdover from previous administrations, and Trump ran him off.

A montage of all the clowns he appointed, and all the clowns he wants to appoint.

borat-giuliani.gif

When there's a serious situation, America needs serious people. These are not serious people.

LoganRoyCharacterInfobox.jpg

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Most of it goes into the pockets of consultants if you're not independently wealthy and funding things yourself. That's where the big money is. If you can start your own Mayes Media, Murphy Nasica, etc and win you'll be rolling in the dough 

The R side seems to have a particular problem with it because a fish rots from the head down. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is beyond sad. Like, “JD Vance trying to interact with normal humans” sad. 

They had their reporter all mic'd up for the big gotcha question and you can see on his face the moment he realized she kicked his fat ass.

image.thumb.png.d8f523d90b769ebfdfe2858fa44a13f9.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

They had their reporter all mic'd up for the big gotcha question and you can see on his face the moment he realized she kicked his fat ass.

He's still going to brag about this to his buddies at the bar tonight like it's his greatest journalistic achievement. 

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I think you have run some ads really calling him out.

Like one that just says who wants an old, senile, hateful, racist, rapist, felon, weird, con man as President. While showing a bunch of imagery of the above in the background.

Over. And over. And over. And over.

But what do I know.

I agree.  Not doing this is like running the ball over and over against 2023 UT defense and refusing to test the secondary.

On 8/30/2024 at 8:51 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Did y'all catch what Trump was saying near the end of this clip? Talking about two flags that blew together and formed a "perfect angel" at the Butler rally? 

I just looked it up. 

The guy is completely out of his mind. JFC. 

Lucifer was an angel

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

wouldn’t shock me if thomas and scalia law clerks are pouring through old cases to find a way to help trump here, down the line 

It would not shock me in the slightest if the Supreme Court ruled that all RFK votes in all states should be added to the Trump vote counts.  Plus 10% extra votes just cause people may have been confused by the ballot.  Fox News will then say this is the right thing to do and CNN will try and play neutral on it except Scott Jennings who will cry about how great the Supreme Court is to do something so bold.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

wouldn’t shock me if thomas and scalia law clerks are pouring through old cases to find a way to help trump here, down the line 

Worth mentioning that 3 current Supreme Court justices took part in the Brooks Brothers riot: Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Roberts. 

edit - they worked on the legal side of the bid to gift the election to Bush but the part about the riot is...

giphy.gif

Edited by Chopper
  • Rage+1 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

What is 1LT McCain doing with sergeant's stripes.  And why isn't he in the US Navy?  McCain is USN royalty.

ETA:  Well, he's been in the Army for 17 years, so mustang, I guess, albeit a very slow one.  What a fuckup given the family pedigree.

Edited by TwiceHorn