2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Nate Silver:

-has lizard brain

-is a degnerate gambler

-is deeply conflicted because he's a degenerate gambler

-and has a webstie he's trying to make a name for that's all about gambling, so even more of a conflict.

The less y'all mention moronic Nate Silver, the better off we'll all be for it. Thank you. 

Don't forget the funniest:

- used chatGPT to write his book

• Haha 3

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Don't forget the funniest:

- used chatGPT to write his book

Please don't make me look this up. That's hilarious. I've read a little about his book - have not seen the chatGPT reference - and the comments were brutal.

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

Please don't make me look this up. That's hilarious. I've read a little about his book - have not seen the chatGPT reference - and the comments were brutal.

From Dave Karpf’s review thread on bluesky:

3873123e-efa6-4739-9802-27c631fc86b5.thumb.png.ab40b68378f85cc1536fab0f8254abb2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Even though they’ve lived with a dem potus quite often and the communism thing never happens and jeez how horrible was it under Clinton, obama, and Biden?  

. . . and they still have their guns.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'd be fine with arresting him, if he knowingly tried, many different ways, to steal an election he knew he lost.

He didn't know he had lost THEN, he only knows it NOW, and it's because of his extraordinary efforts to get states to carefully check their vote counts.  (probably)

Edited by jimmyjazz

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

White pols have been doing this for literally decades.  You see someone who has went to elite academic institutions who now talks like an auto mechanic from Bumblefuck, Alabama.

6451718493756.image.jpg?crop=1763,926,0,

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Adam Kinzinger was on Kimmel tonight. Jimmy asked him about this tweet:

cc8149cdb6b8d68abeef531d87038128.jpg

Jimmy asked what it smelled like. Kinzinger said it was a mix of armpits, ketchup makeup and butt.

So Trump smells like how Gary Busey looks like he smells?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

9/4 Bloomberg/MC

PA Harris +5

WI Harris +8

MI Harris +2

AZ Harris +2

NV Harris +2

GA Harris +2

NC TIE

CNN released it polls today, which is virtually the opposite in several areas.  

Wisconsin Harris +6

Michigan Harris +5

Georgia Harris +1

Nevada Harris +1

Pennsylvania Dead Heat

Arizona Trump +5

I find their Pennsylvania and Arizona numbers to be highly suspect.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

CNN released it polls today, which is virtually the opposite in several areas.  

Wisconsin Harris +6

Michigan Harris +5

Georgia Harris +1

Nevada Harris +1

Pennsylvania Dead Heat

Arizona Trump +5

I find their Pennsylvania and Arizona numbers to be highly suspect.  

I posted them earlier.  You know what you do?  You throw them in the pile, average them, and move on. 

Actually if you do that -

WI Harris +7 (probably too high)
Michigan Harris +3.5 (sounds abought right)
Georgia Harris +1.5 (sounds about right)
Nevada Harris +1.5 (sounds about right)
PA Harris +2.5 (sounds about right)
Arizona Trump +1.5 (probably too high)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I posted them earlier.  You know what you do?  You throw them in the pile, average them, and move on. 

Actually if you do that -

WI Harris +7 (probably too high)
Michigan Harris +3.5 (sounds abought right)
Georgia Harris +1.5 (sounds about right)
Nevada Harris +1.5 (sounds about right)
PA Harris +2.5 (sounds about right)
Arizona Trump +1.5 (probably too high)

It's increasingly clear to me that CNN deliberately sandbags for the purposes of the fear driven ratings, the Arizona and Pennsylvania numbers being indicative of that.  It's irritating.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

13 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Walz is becoming more relatable by the minute.

Eight members of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz's family in Nebraska posing for an image showing their support for Republican rival Donald Trump

Of course the photo comes from Charlie Fucking Herbster. The guy runs an ag-chemical MLM and got smoked running for Governor in Nebraska as well as being notably too creepy even by the local party standards. (He's also from a county know for a murder cult, as well as the murders that inspired the Hilary Swank vehicle Boys Don't Cry) 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

It's increasingly clear to me that CNN deliberately sandbags for the purposes of the fear driven ratings, the Arizona and Pennsylvania numbers being indicative of that.  It's irritating.  

CNN doesn’t conduct their own polls. SSRS does. I will say their polls tend to be less favorable for Dems. Fox’s tend to be better, but again, Fox contracts out to  Beacon (D) and Shaw (R), who jointly does the polls 

19 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Walz is becoming more relatable by the minute.

Eight members of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz's family in Nebraska posing for an image showing their support for Republican rival Donald Trump

Siri, show me people who have never ventured farther away from their hometown than Las Vegas.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

From Fortune:

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. economists gamed out the potential economic implications of a Republican or Democratic victory in the November elections, cautioning that US GDP faces a hit in the case of a win for Donald Trump.

“We estimate that if Trump wins in a sweep or with divided government, the hit to growth from tariffs and tighter immigration policy would outweigh the positive fiscal impulse” from maintaining most tax cuts, Goldman economists including Alec Phillips wrote in a note Tuesday.

Gross domestic product would see a peak hit of 0.5 percentage point in the second half of next year in that scenario, with the effects abating in 2026, the Goldman team estimated. They assumed a 20 percentage-point hike in China tariffs under Trump, along with higher duties on auto imports from Mexico and the European Union, and a reduction in immigration that would slow growth in the labor force.

Should Vice President Kamala Harris win and Democrats secure control of both chambers of Congress, “new spending and expanded middle-income tax credits would slightly more than offset lower investment due to higher corporate tax rates,” the Goldman economists wrote. That would result in “a very slight boost to GDP growth on average over 2025-2026.”

Should Harris win the White House in a divided-government scenario, where Republicans control at least one chamber of Congress, “the effects of policy changes would be small and neutral on net,” Phillips and his colleagues wrote.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

From Fortune:

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. economists gamed out the potential economic implications of a Republican or Democratic victory in the November elections, cautioning that US GDP faces a hit in the case of a win for Donald Trump.

“We estimate that if Trump wins in a sweep or with divided government, the hit to growth from tariffs and tighter immigration policy would outweigh the positive fiscal impulse” from maintaining most tax cuts, Goldman economists including Alec Phillips wrote in a note Tuesday.

Gross domestic product would see a peak hit of 0.5 percentage point in the second half of next year in that scenario, with the effects abating in 2026, the Goldman team estimated. They assumed a 20 percentage-point hike in China tariffs under Trump, along with higher duties on auto imports from Mexico and the European Union, and a reduction in immigration that would slow growth in the labor force.

Should Vice President Kamala Harris win and Democrats secure control of both chambers of Congress, “new spending and expanded middle-income tax credits would slightly more than offset lower investment due to higher corporate tax rates,” the Goldman economists wrote. That would result in “a very slight boost to GDP growth on average over 2025-2026.”

Should Harris win the White House in a divided-government scenario, where Republicans control at least one chamber of Congress, “the effects of policy changes would be small and neutral on net,” Phillips and his colleagues wrote.

GS libtards

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

9/4 Bloomberg/MC

PA Harris +5

WI Harris +8

MI Harris +2

AZ Harris +2

NV Harris +2

GA Harris +2

NC TIE

So PA and AZ are 5-7 points in Harris's favor with this poll compared to whatever poll it was posted yesterday?  Don't nobody know shit.  Can't take anything for granted, and let's go out there and run up the score.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Hell, I'm pretty sure my MAGA brother and his family would vote for Trump over me.

I have a friend from small town Nebraska. She ran for the Senate, but didn’t get past the primary. Her dad didn’t vote for her, even against other Dems, because it would have meant registering as a Democrat. He just didn’t want that on his record.
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

This is dumb young men voting against their own self-interest because a)frail masculinity and b)crypto.

Some men, old or young, are susceptible to believing the loudest, most confidence voice in the room. If you tell them that football team X will win by 21 tonight, or that Biden is working to give your job to a illegal alien, they are prone to accept that as truth. And act on it.

Many men also work in male dominated fields. At the end of daily safety meeting, why wouldn't you believe your boss who says that the Dems will destroy your industry. And he heard it from his boss the day before. I imagine these are daily talks in the O&G fields. Those with critical thinking skills may recognize that the facts don't match the rhetoric but also why wouldn't you vote for Trump and his drill, baby, drill mantra.

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I have a friend from small town Nebraska. She ran for the Senate, but didn’t get past the primary. Her dad didn’t vote for her, even against other Dems, because it would have meant registering as a Democrat. He just didn’t want that on his record.

As far as my parents/bro, I'm certainly the only one voting Harris.

I spend so much time fact-checking the garbage my dad comes across... 

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 2

I know a guy, former DA (D) that was out of office for many years , but still popular and the seat was open. He tried to register his campaign with the Republican Party because he knew there was a less than zero chance as a Democrat and they turned him away. Wound up running Independent and came in 2nd.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

sometimes the accent reclamation thing is organic. , 

My ex (what a piece of ass BTW) was from Grand Forks, ND.  She had lived in Vegas and OC for 20 years.   She had a normal voice like any other woman in Newport Beach.  It's her mom's birthday, so she calls a Grand Forks florist to order flowers.  5 minutes into the conversation with the Grand Forks lady, she's all "dontcha' know" just like one of the women on "Fargo". 

Yeah, my wife has lived in CO for 25 years but when she visits Texas it doesn't take long for the accent to come back out.

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

The “Harris plans to end the free speech” from twitter yesterday that was propped up by Elmo makes me so fucking ragey. At least this morning, you’re seeing outlets and media members tweeting that it isn’t true. 

Elmo is fucking obsessed with free speech

He's obsessed with censoring speech he doesn't like.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

The fact that Trump won in 2016 was shocking but understandable.  A lot of shit came together.  But the fact that 2020 was close, and that he is the GOP nominee in 2024, and that the race is still projected to be extremely close (PA +1 for Trump?!?!  Wtff?!?!)…it’s such a brutal indictment of our electoral college system.  Everyone knows what kind of shitbag he is.  How little character he has.  How quick he is to denigrate the vulnerable and blame others for his problems.  Everyone knows how he’ll govern.  How can this race be close?????

FIFY. Trump will lose the popular vote by over 5 million. The problem is 75,000 swing voters in rural corners of 3 states deciding the election. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

19 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What is 1LT McCain doing with sergeant's stripes.  And why isn't he in the US Navy?  McCain is USN royalty.

ETA:  Well, he's been in the Army for 17 years, so mustang, I guess, albeit a very slow one.  What a fuckup given the family pedigree.

I've come to notice this is how it tends to go. Was at Annapolis last month and Col was talking about his sons in Army and USAF. Their own path and whatnot.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some men, old or young, are susceptible to believing the loudest, most confidence voice in the room. If you tell them that football team X will win by 21 tonight, or that Biden is working to give your job to a illegal alien, they are prone to accept that as truth. And act on it.

Many men also work in male dominated fields. At the end of daily safety meeting, why wouldn't you believe your boss who says that the Dems will destroy your industry. And he heard it from his boss the day before. I imagine these are daily talks in the O&G fields. Those with critical thinking skills may recognize that the facts don't match the rhetoric but also why wouldn't you vote for Trump and his drill, baby, drill mantra.

Think about it in terms of shit states like W Va. Mining or manufacturing used to be the main industries, and men were the dominant employees. This extends to parts of PA and OH now, as well. Now the men are unemployed or underemployed, and many of them are reliant upon women who work. The women work in healthcare or school jobs. "Not real" jobs per their men. They're resentful and because of that prefer to vote for the supposed mas macho candidate. I'm stealing part of an argument Paul Krugman made earlier this week. edit - then combine that with the percentage of young men who've "invested" in crypto. There's apparently a lot more of those than we tend to think, and they're of course voting for the grifter candidate. 

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I've come to notice this is how it tends to go. Was at Annapolis last month and Col was talking about his sons in Army and USAF. Their own path and whatnot.

Well, yeah....go into the same service as your father, there's some baggage.....

63b79c20-b871-4045-83aa-6e92b071537c_tex

22c42691-5364-41aa-9f59-f6477766f42f_tex

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Yet again, a dude who absolutely thinks that not only does he not need to get more votes, but that he doesn't even need to win the electoral college. 

I wonder, if someone got him on tape saying "My plan is to steal the election, and if that doesn't work, hopefully my justices on the Supreme Court will just give it to me".... would he lose a significant number of votes? 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yet again, a dude who absolutely thinks that not only does he not need to get more votes, but that he doesn't even need to win the electoral college. 

I wonder, if someone got him on tape saying "My plan is to steal the election, and if that doesn't work, hopefully my justices on the Supreme Court will just give it to me".... would he lose a significant number of votes? 

Not. A. Single. One.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

The numbers for black and hispanic voters going to Trump is starting to get concerning.  But the topline numbers suggest similar stuff as 2020.  Does that mean there is a white shift that offsets it?

black people are 12% of the population and are mostly concentrated in red states in the south where the EC kicks in and reduces that population effect to very little... we're more thermometer than thermostat. It is good to see white people get excited about a black woman President. Do your thing.

• Hook 'Em 2