2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some men, old or young, are susceptible to believing the loudest, most confidence voice in the room. If you tell them that football team X will win by 21 tonight, or that Biden is working to give your job to a illegal alien, they are prone to accept that as truth. And act on it.

happy season 4 GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, TeeDubya said:

Branson “Baptist Vegas” would like a word with you….

52 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

FIFY

Nah, I'll give that group some benefit of the doubt. Meemaw and peepaw, in their 50's, spent 3 years planning the trip of a lifetime to Nevada. They stayed off the strip, went to one show, gave the penny slots and $1 blackjack table a good what-fer, and they still talk about it 30 years later. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some men, old or young, are susceptible to believing the loudest, most confidence voice in the room. If you tell them that football team X will win by 21 tonight, or that Biden is working to give your job to a illegal alien, they are prone to accept that as truth. And act on it.

Many men also work in male dominated fields. At the end of daily safety meeting, why wouldn't you believe your boss who says that the Dems will destroy your industry. And he heard it from his boss the day before. I imagine these are daily talks in the O&G fields. Those with critical thinking skills may recognize that the facts don't match the rhetoric but also why wouldn't you vote for Trump and his drill, baby, drill mantra.

Well, and straight men are also very emotional but they try to suppress it because of social pressures. We call this the “Cowboy Syndrome” in academics. When I taught, I reworded it to call it the “Machismo Syndrome” as that resonated with students more. Then we’d get into the discussion of how this impacts males as they grow older and get into relationships and why some of their relationships don’t last or why they can’t get into one (or another one) because of it. Straight males are also the least likely of all to go to therapy for their issues. 

But that is getting waaaayyyy off topic. Back to the topic at hand.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well, and straight men are also very emotional but they try to suppress it because of social pressures. We call this the “Cowboy Syndrome” in academics. When I taught, I reworded it to call it the “Machismo Syndrome” as that resonated with students more. Then we’d get into the discussion of how this impacts males as they grow older and get into relationships and why some of their relationships don’t last or why they can’t get into one (or another one) because of it. Straight males are also the least likely of all to go to therapy for their issues. 

But that is getting waaaayyyy off topic. Back to the topic at hand.

Hulk Hogan is like their Susan Lucci

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

And Keith should cruise to an easy victory, since most of the MAGA voters will actually weigh voting for a white woman  as less of a mortal sin than voting for a black man…

to the MAGA, racism is a bigger influence than misogyny. 

I think most true magas will either throw the municipal ballot away because they don't see the party line and have no idea who the people are, or because Van Norman already told them that both are dirty libruls. I think moderate republicans and low information voters who remember her as a newscaster and might have come across her name during her the last 16 years she served as a county commissioner will put her over the top. I know Karen personally and like her, I think she'd do a great job administering municipal government they way it should be administered, but I like Monroe too although I don't know him personally, and the significance of electing Tulsa's first Black mayor is important.

After the Tulsa World endorsed Monroe and I started seeing my contemporaries all in for him, I took a calculated risk and voted for Karen in the primary thinking that she needed it more than Monroe to get Van Norman out of the way. Looks like I was right but by the narrowest of margins. I don't know who I'll vote for in November yet. Some of Monroe's more vocal supporters are rubbing me the wrong way a little trying to portray Karen as maga (she's very moderate but has taken decidedly democratic stances when it becomes relevant, including being vocally opposed to the covid trump rally) but I know better than to hold stuff like that against him personally. I do think she'll win by a decent margin from the middle and yeah, maybe some maga racists who hate her, but hate his skin tone more. Either way, we're going to get a good mayor who will treat the job in the nonpartisan way it was intended.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Siri, show me people who have never ventured farther away from their hometown than Las Vegas.

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Walz is becoming more relatable by the minute.

Eight members of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz's family in Nebraska posing for an image showing their support for Republican rival Donald Trump

Walz and his brother aren't on speaking terms.  I've seen this story a thousand times.  One sibling does better than another and the other is either butt hurt about it or thinks they're owed something.  Walz moved to MN and seems to have done well.  The rest are back in bumblefuck Nebraska and wonder why they can't a job without having to leave their little town.  Tim is now "too good for them" or something or they wanted to borrow money and he said no or he did help out and they squandered it or.....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The Magats are too stupid to figure out the possessive before printing up T-shirts and posting for millions of people to see.  

Or that losing family to the maga cult makes him very relatable to many people in this country. I'm 100% certain that  either the brother disowned him for being a librul, or refused to stop making it an issue every time they spoke causing the strain in the relationship (this is where I am currently with my mother). That old lady definitely harassed Black folk for sitting at a lunch counter back in her day, maybe even just last week.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Or that losing family to the maga cult makes him very relatable to many people in this country. I'm 100% certain that  either the brother disowned him for being a librul, or refused to stop making it an issue every time they spoke causing the strain in the relationship (this is where I am currently with my mother). That old lady definitely harassed Black folk for sitting at a lunch counter back in her day, maybe even just last week.

Adam Kinzinger has the exact same story.  Said some relatives stopped speaking to him because he opposed Trump's insurrection.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

9/4 Bloomberg/MC

PA Harris +5

WI Harris +8

MI Harris +2

AZ Harris +2

NV Harris +2

GA Harris +2

NC TIE

WTF has happened in Wisconsin?  I have thought over the last eight years that it was the least secure of the Blue Wall states.  But polling over the past six weeks has consistently had it as the most secure (occasionally showing it outside the MOE, as is the case here).  What's up with that?

Pennsylvania is always close, but it almost always comes home for the Dems.  I suspect it'll be the same here--five points feels high.  If Harris wins it by more than three points, I'd be surprised.

Pennsylvania is not more Dem than Michigan.  It's just not.  And I don't want to hear any bullshit about Dearborn; Harris is not going to run three points in Pennsylvania ahead of where she is in Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Walz and his brother aren't on speaking terms.  I've seen this story a thousand times.  One sibling does better than another and the other is either butt hurt about it or thinks they're owed something.  Walz moved to MN and seems to have done well.  The rest are back in bumblefuck Nebraska and wonder why they can't a job without having to leave their little town.  Tim is now "too good for them" or something or they wanted to borrow money and he said no or he did help out and they squandered it or.....

It's worse.  His brother moved to Florida.

And that big truth reveal by Walz's brother that the Trumpfucks have been teasing?  As a kid, Tim Walz got car sick and no one wanted to sit next to him because he puked all over everything.

6ab3540c-e88f-4469-9f38-4322e6f4a0fd_tex

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

WTF has happened in Wisconsin?  I have thought over the last eight years that it was the least secure of the Blue Wall states.  But polling over the past six weeks has consistently had it as the most secure (occasionally showing it outside the MOE, as is the case here).  What's up with that?

Pennsylvania is always close, but it almost always comes home for the Dems.  I suspect it'll be the same here--five points feels high.  If Harris wins it by more than three points, I'd be surprised.

Pennsylvania is not more Dem than Michigan.  It's just not.  And I don't want to hear any bullshit about Dearborn; Harris is not going to run three points in Pennsylvania ahead of where she is in Michigan.

Joe Biden exiting the race is what happened in PA.  Hopefully, he goes there 5 or 6 more times in the next 7-8 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Wisconsin feels like an outlier. Honestly if I had to rank them by blueness, it’s Michigan, PA and then Wisconsin 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

After 2016, WI has elected a Dem governor (a flip from Scott Walker) and two Dem Senators and flipped the state Supreme Court to Dem control.  There was also a referendum pushed by the right, which failed a few weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Nothing. Wisconsin is a notoriously difficult state to poll. Trump out-performed the RCP average by 6 in 2020 and 7 in 2016. Some very high-quality pollsters were WAY off in those two cycles - but only in determining Trump support. They weren't that far off in the numbers for Hillary (RCP average 46.8; actual 46.5) or Biden (RCP average 51; actual 49.6).

So the key is to look at Kamala's average support. She needs to be consistently at or above 50% in the polls. 

18 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

After 2016, WI has elected a Dem governor (a flip from Scott Walker) and two Dem Senators and flipped the state Supreme Court to Dem control.  There was also a referendum pushed by the right, which failed a few weeks ago.

I think Wisconsin has a large "ride or die with Trump" group who only show up to vote for Trump. Once he's out of the picture they'll disappear and never vote again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Correct on MI.  PA has voted for a statewide Dem most recently.  Whitmer & Co single handedly destroyed the Republican party in MI.  Both states, though, have voted Dem for every statewide since 2020 so I find it hard to believe they all vote Trump now.  You'd have to have people who voted Whitmer and Shapiro just two years now vote Trump.  That's not happening.

43 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Also, one more thing on MI.  I go there from time to time and from what I understand, the Muslim vote in Dearborn is a very loud but very small minority.  Unions, the black vote, and suburban whites are a much bigger factor.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This lunch counter make their onion rings in house, cause those can be hard to come by at times. 

Unidos poll of Latinos - Harris 59, Trump 31. On par with 2020 

Mexicans go for Harris 59-30 and she’s tied at 47 with Trump with Cubans. Puerto Ricans go 57-31 Harris 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Unidos poll of Latinos - Harris 59, Trump 31. On par with 2020 

Mexicans go for Harris 59-30 and she’s tied at 47 with Trump with Cubans. Puerto Ricans go 57-31 Harris 

tied at 47 with cubans? I'll take it but I don't buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

tied at 47 with cubans? I'll take it but I don't buy it. 

It was a poll of 3000 Latinos. I buy this poll more than the tiny subsamples of 100 or so 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

God....I hate us....so, so, so, so much.

31% of us are full on voting for the leopards to eat our faces.  We are SO.  FUCKING.  STUPID.

Aren't you part Cajun as well? Bet you'd really hate to those crosstabs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1