2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

Think about it in terms of shit states like W Va. Mining or manufacturing used to be the main industries, and men were the dominant employees. This extends to parts of PA and OH now, as well. Now the men are unemployed or underemployed, and many of them are reliant upon women who work. The women work in healthcare or school jobs. "Not real" jobs per their men. They're resentful and because of that prefer to vote for the supposed mas macho candidate. I'm stealing part of an argument Paul Krugman made earlier this week. edit - then combine that with the percentage of young men who've "invested" in crypto. There's apparently a lot more of those than we tend to think, and they're of course voting for the grifter candidate. 

I can’t recall the exact details but I saw a short form documentary about these underemployed men in WV. When asked if they were open to school or healthcare jobs, their answer was hell no. Maybe the filmmaker edited the video to support his narrative but it was believable.

whats completely backwards is how so many of these voters now support the billionaire class and many are anti-union at the macro level. Perhaps they hope some crumbs will fall to them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If you start the email with "team" you're automatically a fucking knob and I have lost what little respect I had for you.

"Fam" or "Family" is a typical get ready for a butt-fucking of some sort starter as well. 

• Haha 1

I can’t recall the exact details but I saw a short form documentary about these underemployed men in WV. When asked if they were open to school or healthcare jobs, their answer was hell no. Maybe the filmmaker edited the video to support his narrative but it was believable.
whats completely backwards is how so many of these voters now support the billionaire class and many are anti-union at the macro level. Perhaps they hope some crumbs will fall to them.

Back in trumps presidency, that was one of the things that pissed me off the most, and that I thought was exceptionally cruel: Trump telling all of them that “he’s gonna bring back their coal jobs.” No. He wasn’t. Ever. Those jobs went away because of market forces. But he kept them holding onto hope for something that was never going to happen, instead of telling them “hey, I found your coal jobs! They’re now construction jobs in other states!”
He doesn’t care about people suffering. He only cares about how he can gain. And the suckers keep buying what he’s selling.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If you start the email with "team" you're automatically a fucking knob and I have lost what little respect I had for you.

In my experience, 9 times out of 10, the tool that does that has never actually played on a team.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Well, and straight men are also very emotional but they try to suppress it because of social pressures. We call this the “Cowboy Syndrome” in academics. When I taught, I reworded it to call it the “Machismo Syndrome” as that resonated with students more. Then we’d get into the discussion of how this impacts males as they grow older and get into relationships and why some of their relationships don’t last or why they can’t get into one (or another one) because of it. Straight males are also the least likely of all to go to therapy for their issues. 

But that is getting waaaayyyy off topic. Back to the topic at hand.

Wait. Hold up. Are you saying crying during Terms of Endearment is optional as a man?  Was one of you assholes going to clue me in or where you just going to let me get the ugly cry forever?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

You guys are all assholes. Losing touch with family just because they are no longer capable of completing an adult conversation about literally anything without mentioning trans people in sports, operating on kids without parental consent, California, "I'm okay with abortions being legal, but up to nine months?", Joe Biden's senility (RIP), who they saw still wearing a mask, inflation, student loan repayment, equal outcomes, god in schools, migrant crime, "gay people sure are everywhere these days", Chicago, Joe Rogan, crypto, "shouldn't all lives matter?", electric cars, gas ovens, windmills, DEI, what's gone woke, vague references to George Soros and a deep state, what Jews are in control of...

forrest gump cooking GIF

Damn it...this is almost an exact summary of my Thanksgiving visit home every year.

21 hours ago, F250 said:

Mexicans do this too. Mario Lopez put out a video about this awhile back when people were confused as to why he suddenly sounded "Mexican" on some food videos he was making versus his Access Hollywood voice.

I know the phrase is black don't crack but Mario can still get it.

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

No offense but if Trump wins I hope people like her get deported to a shit hole country and they spend the rest of their lives in misery since they would have caused the same for us still living here. 

She is 16. She likely has Trumpy parents and believe what they tell her.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

*when

This clip really is the perfect encapsulation of the difference between the two parties.

Sure, the “weird” meme evolved into everyone on the internet laughing at JD, but it started with Walz pointing out how *weird* the policies are that Republicans support. I could be mistaken, but I do not believe “weird” has ever been used by either of the candidates as describing anything other than Republicans as a group or Republican policies.

Trump, however, uses “weird” as a pure personal attack. It’s not an observation, it’s simply bullying, and it completely misses the original message and why it hit so hard the first time everyone heard it.

The two choices in a nutshell.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

No offense but if Trump wins I hope people like her get deported to a shit hole country and they spend the rest of their lives in misery since they would have caused the same for us still living here. 

They will blame democrats.  When you get to a certain point, everything you think is good was done by your team and everything you think is bad was done by the other team.  Maybe if he does establish a dictatorship first it would change but I doubt it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

He's a good man, and I'm not going to shit on his love for Liz, even though I think she sucks big time.

Sigh, my dad still has a Karly for Prez sticker on the back of one of his cars. But he's a good man.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yesterday I had a conversation with a 16 year old Latina(my daughter's age). She said she wanted to be an immigration attorney. We got on the topic of how the people coming over the border just want to work hard for a better life, and how she wanted to help because she sees the process is very difficult for immigrants. I was smiling while she was talking, and then she said "and that's why I think Trump gets a bad rap". My smile went away as she went on to wax poetic about Donald J Trump. I couldn't figure out what kind of mental gymnastics she went through to arrive at Trump loves brown people as is the guy to vote for if you love immigrants. Wild.

I understand you had that personal experience in real-time coming from an unexpected source so it struck you more powerfully, but we see that kind of cognitive dissonance/idiocy all of the time:

• "I'm really concerned about the economy. That's why I'm voting for Trump!" (Job growth is generally faster under Dems than Goppers.)
  • "I'm really concerned about inflation. That's why I'm voting for Trump!" (His proposed 10% across-the-board tariffs would greatly increase consumer costs.)
  • "I'm really concerned about our national debt. That's why I'm voting for Trump!" (His administration and GQP partners in Congress increased the debt by $8 trillion. That's trillion with a T.)

It's akin to those folks mentioned in an article a couple of months ago who blamed Biden for us overturning Roe v Wade without realizing it was Trump's Supreme Court picks who scrapped a 50-year-old precedent. Also, the same goes for Freedumb of Speech advocates who are happy to censor library books.

These people are misinformed, stupid, brainwashed, or some combination of the three. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I recently told a relative to “wake up bro, it’s a fucking cult”.

Response: “an elected cult”.

These people ARE FUCKED in the head. 

(He also thinks aliens will descend upon us really soon…right after the government tells us about them.)

Edited by texas08
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

sometimes the accent reclamation thing is organic. , 

My ex (what a piece of ass BTW) was from Grand Forks, ND.  She had lived in Vegas and OC for 20 years.   She had a normal voice like any other woman in Newport Beach.  It's her mom's birthday, so she calls a Grand Forks florist to order flowers.  5 minutes into the conversation with the Grand Forks lady, she's all "dontcha' know" just like one of the women on "Fargo". 

Oofdah

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

My dad LOVES Liz Cheney. He was already going to vote for Harris, but he's smitten with Liz. Stems from 2020 when he kept waiting for SOMEONE in the party to stand up to the madness. 

He's 70. Voted for Obama, Romney, DNV, Biden. He's a good man, and I'm not going to shit on his love for Liz, even though I think she sucks big time.

I’d dunk on him but I’m pretty sure I’ll be like this about AOC long before I’m 70.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

And Keith should cruise to an easy victory, since most of the MAGA voters will actually weigh voting for a white woman  as less of a mortal sin than voting for a black man…

to the MAGA, racism is a bigger influence than misogyny. 

Don’t sleep on Ray as a middle name.  I had a cousin named Stanley Ray.

He was rough….  He’d vanish for years at a time.  Finally figured out he was serving prison sentences….

He would reappear, tell us a story about finding Jesus, and getting his life back on track.  Then disappear again….

That you Terry Wayne?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Back in trumps presidency, that was one of the things that pissed me off the most, and that I thought was exceptionally cruel: Trump telling all of them that “he’s gonna bring back their coal jobs.” No. He wasn’t. Ever. Those jobs went away because of market forces. But he kept them holding onto hope for something that was never going to happen, instead of telling them “hey, I found your coal jobs! They’re now construction jobs in other states!”
He doesn’t care about people suffering. He only cares about how he can gain. And the suckers keep buying what he’s selling.

What’s with the Bill Raftery voice inflection? He’s been doing it at least since Biden’s withdrawal 

I keep waiting for him to shout “ONIONS!!!”

Ok, so what’s the alternative to x/twatter for normal people? Fuck that platform!!! What a cesspool beginning with that asshole Musk. I was thinking there would be a Tesla in my garage in the not so distant future, but now, fuckkkkkk no. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Neighbors on our daily walk route go all out with holiday decorations for Halloween, Xmas and Easter. My next-door neighbor and I are plotting to relocate the Trump signs to the graveyard some night when we get deep into the sauce.

dd5baf44817ed68a6aeaedff7681fcd4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1