2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Vance's eyes are just...dead inside. Every picture of him. Like a fuckin' doll's eyes. Reminds me an awful lot of the still closeted gay/trans kids I see at work (reLAX I'm old enough that I can call people in their 20s kids). Who knows if Vance is queer to whatever degree, but there is something inside of him that he is not able to express in his public life; it is slowly and inexorably killing him.

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Vance's eyes are just...dead inside. Every picture of him. Like a fuckin' doll's eyes. Reminds me an awful lot of the still closeted gay/trans kids I see at work (reLAX I'm old enough that I can call people in their 20s kids). Who knows if Vance is queer to whatever degree, but there is something inside of him that he is not able to express in his public life; it is slowly and inexorably killing him.

I liked him when the book came out.  The more I've learned about him lately, I think he's a latent but self hating gay.  (Pretty text book, actually.)

About his eyes, I was surprised to learn he's only 39.  He's 11 years younger than I am and if you color the hair, he looks 5-10 years older.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd like to know where that kid hid his gun before blowing away 4 innocent people and injuring 9 others.  We know he was in class, got up, and left.  Did he hide the gun in the school?  What "security" measures would have prevented that?  Are they going to TSA-search every student upon entry?  Really?  Has Vance ever been anywhere near a middle school or high school when first bell is about to ring?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I imagine one of the worst jobs in America right now would be prepping Trump on policy questions for debates or interviews. 

Do you think they even try at this point? You'd have a better chance of teaching that fat fuck to fly. He's got one routine and he's not deviating. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Honestly what is there left to see? This shouldn’t be close.

Yeah, these shooters choose schools because they are soft targets. Has nothing at all to do with them being 14 year old students at the school and their dad keeping an AR 15 propped up against the fireplace.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd like to know where that kid hid his gun before blowing away 4 innocent people and injuring 9 others.  We know he was in class, got up, and left.  Did he hide the gun in the school?  What "security" measures would have prevented that?  Are they going to TSA-search every student upon entry?  Really?  Has Vance ever been anywhere near a middle school or high school when first bell is about to ring?

Security is mostly performance theatre to make people feel secure. It definitely helps, but it's very hard to actually stop a shooting before it happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah, these shooters choose schools because they are soft targets. Has nothing at all to do with them being 14 year old students at the school and their dad keeping an AR 15 propped up against the fireplace.

Or their dad buying them one of their own.

I just watched Doug Emhoff on Kimmel.  He's been hidden behind the scenes during the Biden Presidency, for good reasons, but holy shit it's nice to see normal, decent, smart, funny human beings supporting our elected officials.  Not that Vance's wife is a psycho (narrator: she is) or that Melania Trump is disinterested, pissed off, and AWOL (narrator: she is).

Between Harris, Walz, and their spouses I am supremely confident that our country will be in good hands if the vote just gets out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I just watched Doug Emhoff on Kimmel.  He's been hidden behind the scenes during the Biden Presidency, for good reasons, but holy shit it's nice to see normal, decent, smart, funny human beings supporting our elected officials.  Not that Vance's wife is a psycho (narrator: she is) or that Melania Trump is disinterested, pissed off, and AWOL (narrator: she is).

Between Harris, Walz, and their spouses I am supremely confident that our country will be in good hands if the vote just gets out.

I agree, however we will still have soulless ghouls like Mitch McConnell running around, so we will still have to combat him and people of his ilk.  This isn't a one off battle, it's going to be a long fight if we want real change.  (Though I will say, the day McConnell turns room temperature, I'm not lowering my flag to half mast, I'm going to double the flag pole size and fly Old Glory as high as I can).  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, safe sex said:

No it’s not killing him; what’s getting killed are the puppies he strangles just to feel something

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Tangential, but funny:  we had a HS classmate who was a damn genius.  He never did his homework.  Our Calculus teacher would ask kids to put homework problems up on the board, and when it was his turn he would just bring the textbook up and solve the problem (correctly) in real time.  He's now a Chemical Engineering prof at U-Wisconsin.

I don't consider myself a genius by any stretch but that was me. My high school GPA was 2.8, 0 percent average for homework, 98 or so for tests. Got a scholarship to CofC behind testing scores too.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

and how stupid do you have to be to vote for that !!!!

Who are we kidding?  They are clapping for cheap, big booty Venezuelitas to mingle with after the speeches and round tables and breakout sessions.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Holy shit—I’m in a swing state.

So many Kamala ads. Actually some good positive ads.

Watching the nfl game last night at one point I had 2 consecutive commercial breaks that were each 3 consecutive ads that were anti bob casey and then anti Kamala.

• Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

This.

Childcare has to be one of the biggest drags to the US economy out there.

It incentivizes people to pay under the table, it keeps people out of the work force, and the front line workers don’t make close to a living wage.

There needs to be public childcare starting at 3. Super head start or whatever. I’d even try and make it 2.

I shouldn’t have to pay more for day care than I would for private college. 

Childcare doesn't start at age 2 or 3 for majority of parents in the US. It starts at 6-16 weeks old depending on birth circumstances, FMLA, and vacation time.

16 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not nit picking here, but the general range of daycare in Houston was 11-1500 a month per kid. You'd get like a 1-200 discount for multiple kids per month, but it's a fucking rake. That being said, private school starts at around 24k a year per kid, and goes up to 40, and I think private colleges now are 25-40 as well. 

Listen, I'm all for NC being a purple battleground with a douchebag for a Gubernatorial candidate, but I'd rather not have to count on "Well, if we don't get PA we can win anyway with these other 5 states."

Researching childcare back in the spring because these fucking places, especially the decent to good ones, have ridiculous wait times to get in was eye opening price wise. The really nice places were $300-350 a week. We were able to find one that is nice and relatively affordable and that shit is $260 a week. We also looked at a "budget" daycares there were $175-190 a week and they were just very trashy looking facilities that we were hesitant to use. In home care is roughly that $175-200 range as well. This is all in San Antonio but I couldn't imagine the prices of some locations in Houston, Austin or DFW. You're 100% right that that 10% "discount" for having multiple kids go there is laughable. It makes me not want to have another kid because we'd be looking at $20-25k a year for 2 kids in childcare alone at our nice "affordable" facility.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

While this is good for our current circumstance, I guess, how fucked up is it that we are raising the most money for campaigns (both sides) in history and 90% of voters have been decided for years?  Will we ever have another discussion about campaign finance reform or is this just how we are now?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I have no idea what this means. Is it supposed to influence my vote?

It’s a contrast to JD Vance, who can’t help but being a Grade A weirdo even when doing something as simple as ordering donuts. Maybe you missed that clip from a couple weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

While this is good for our current circumstance, I guess, how fucked up is it that we are raising the most money for campaigns (both sides) in history and 90% of voters have been decided for years?  Will we ever have another discussion about campaign finance reform or is this just how we are now?

Like everything else, there are diminishing returns for political spending past some point. We’re probably well past that point.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova