2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Even when the Joe Biden of the last year or so misspoke, you knew what he was trying to say. Yeah he had trouble finishing sentences sometimes, but he still didn't spew nonsense like that. 

And the response to "We beat medicare" at the debate was "holy shit we have to get this guy off the ticket", not applause followed by silence.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't know about the rest of the country, but out here nurses and firefighters make a shitload of money.  They don't belong in the same mention as teachers.

She has to include them for rhetorical purposes because our nation clearly doesn't give a shit about teacher compensation. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That should have been Beto. But he threw it away with a vanity run for POTUS. Dumbass 

The dude ain't dead.

Stacy Abrams worked under the radar for almost a decade getting people registered. Wikler and Co lost a bunch before they won.

Somebody else can also pick up the baton.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Curious as to what the republican talking point is re: tariffs and how they aren't anything more than a tax on Americans. It's obviously not a vehicle to change the amount of money spent by us as a whole. What was that dude trying to say about how it works with some countries? I understand there are benefits in certain industries to allow American producers to compete on a level playing field (that's irrelevant to the issue being discussed), but do they actually have some sort of nonsensical argument as to how increased tariffs will translate to better childcare options?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My wife and I do ok, but I have no idea how a family with an income of less than 100k affords childcare. Because as you said, the places that were $800 a month were literally like a run-down house next to a tire shop and we were not super comfortable there. I've heard some people find like licensed home daycare options for a mom who will turn who house into a daycare and have 5-6 kids there. Except my first instinct is "That woman must be insane. No thanks."

There's a huge "underground" of unlicensed day cares run out of apartments and private homes, often paid by the day in cash.  The parents often aren't very comfortable leaving their kids in those places and often do not have a better option. 

Look- there's a core of economic reality to JD Vance's weird, misguided musings about women working outside the home.  I used to post on it a lot, going back to the Obama era when GOPers like Clear Lake and others would whine about "real unemployment" and the Labor Participation Rate.
The advent of the dual income family and expansion of the LPR has not been an unalloyed good, as household incomes have stagnated and workers received a smaller share of the additional productivity they generated, while their costs went up. It is quite common for the lower income parent to be well beneath the minimum wage, net of the hard costs of employment - ie child care, transportation, additional prepared foods, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Honestly what is there left to see? This shouldn’t be close.

Gotdamnit that makes my blood boil. The worst part about it, well, not the worst part ... the worst part is him saying we just have to accept it as a part of life ... but the second worst part is that he's so close to saying what a majority of the country would be in favor of re: gun control.

We aren't ever going to take ALL guns away from everybody. It just ain't gonna happen, at least not in the foreseeable future, and its not even something I personally support. But he says "if you're a psycho and you want to make headlines..." Hey, dipshit, that's what a lot of us are begging for! Make it impossible for "psychos" to get guns! Have far stricter requirements for who can get a gun. Make sure people that develop mental illnesses have their guns taken away until they are mentally stable again. Invest in mental health to prevent people from going down that path, and help them get out of it when they do. That's not enough in my opinion, but it's a huge first step. A step that the majority of Americans are in support of. And we'll never get to the second, third, fourth, etc steps without taking the first one.

And then he admits that he doesn't want his kids to have to go to school feeling like they need tons of additional security. Great! Let's focus on things further upstream in the pipeline that are both a) more effective, and b) much less expensive. Fuck! Fuck these monsters! 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

While this is good for our current circumstance, I guess, how fucked up is it that we are raising the most money for campaigns (both sides) in history and 90% of voters have been decided for years?  Will we ever have another discussion about campaign finance reform or is this just how we are now?

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Like everything else, there are diminishing returns for political spending past some point. We’re probably well past that point.

Counterpoint: The fact that 90% of people already have their preference is irrelevant. Ensuring that your people stay engaged and actually show up to vote is what really matters. And with the way things have been in recent elections, grabbing a few of those "undecided" 10% can be all the difference, especially in down-ballot races, which is one reason why it was so great to see the Harris campaign giving a huge chunk of their money to be used for those races. 

• Hook 'Em 2

She's always mentioning the middle class and the rich, but what about raising taxes on the impoverished?  They don't have a lot of political clout. 

Yeah, tariffs. Tariffs, like sales tax, are regressive taxes which land disproportionately on the impoverished.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Welp the first ballots of the election were supposed to go out today and they did NOT thanks to mr. brain worms.

This country needs to get election litigation under control.  First off, our elections are already too long, and we get delayed results due to legal challenges.  Secondly, every state has different ballot requirements, which invites legal challenges. And third, JUST GET ON WITH IT

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This country needs to get election litigation under control.  First off, our elections are already too long, and we get delayed results due to legal challenges.  Secondly, every state has different ballot requirements, which invites legal challenges. And third, JUST GET ON WITH IT

I agree fuck lawyers

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I bet we don’t see an official winner (assuming Harris comes out on top on Election Day) until at least December because the Rs will scream fraud and file lawsuits in every blue state. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Curious as to what the republican talking point is re: tariffs and how they aren't anything more than a tax on Americans. It's obviously not a vehicle to change the amount of money spent by us as a whole. What was that dude trying to say about how it works with some countries? I understand there are benefits in certain industries to allow American producers to compete on a level playing field (that's irrelevant to the issue being discussed), but do they actually have some sort of nonsensical argument as to how increased tariffs will translate to better childcare options?

the strategy is not new - in politics, when you don’t have a good answer, you pivot to your talking points and your issues and policies. you basically make every answer a portion of your stump speech. 

the problem the gop/maga has is that they have no talking points, they have no issues or policies, and the trump stump speech is him complaining for 2-3 hours. 

hopefully he does these every day. his daily covid briefings helped him lose in 2020. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I bet we don’t see an official winner (assuming Harris comes out on top on Election Day) until at least December because the Rs will scream fraud and file lawsuits in every blue state. 

Harris should declare herself the winner on ejection night if it’s obvious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Paxton might shut down UT, if we did something similar here. 

Carrie Issac already tried.  Introduced a Bill last session to prohibit voting on campuses of higher education, HB 2390.  She claimed it was a security issue.  Never mind that k-12 wasn't included in her bill.  She did later submit a similar bill for K-12, but only after she was called out on it.

42 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Sounds like they won…

If true, I really hope this backfires and they still lose the state.

They can now "accidently" mail the old ballots out and then discard the results because the voter used an invalid ballot.

• Rage+1 3

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

He sold his business so he could focus on shit like rock bottom prescription drugs for people. What a monster. Yes, I fucking know who he sold it to, as well. 

Fuck him. He’s business partners with monsters. I’m sure he could have found another buyer to be partners with that doesn’t have Trump’s stench.

Appeals court in Michigan also just reversed RFK Jr. staying on the ballot.  Emergency relief sought with SCOMI. 

It's fucking PATHETIC that any slapdick moron can run a vanity campaign for POTUS as an "independent", drop out less than 3 months before the election and then sue to get their name taken off the ballot, but only in some states and not others.

American elections are absolute ass, my dude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Appeals court in Michigan also just reversed RFK Jr. staying on the ballot.  Emergency relief sought with SCOMI. 

It's fucking PATHETIC that any slapdick moron can run a vanity campaign for POTUS as an "independent", drop out less than 3 months before the election and then sue to get their name taken off the ballot, but only in some states and not others.

Everything you said is correct, but I cannot get over the fact that we have a system where the LEADER OF OUR COUNTRY might be determined by how many people in a handful of states decide to vote for a guy who has said he no longer is running for President.

An indictment on both the system and the citizens of this country.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

POD guys talking about how the race is a toss-up, and referencing Nate Silver as supporting evidence. Um, am I the only one who thinks if the election were held tomorrow, Harris might win every swing state? 

Maybe these are things we just shouldn't say out loud.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

POD guys talking about how the race is a toss-up, and referencing Nate Silver as supporting evidence. Um, am I the only one who thinks if the election were held tomorrow, Harris might win every swing state? 

I fully expect Harris to win all the swing states and think Florida is close to 50/50.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Paxton might shut down UT, if we did something similar here. 

Do it. No downside.

The Rs want to talk about election integrity. Expose the corrupt officials.

This is what democracy looks like.

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They’re unskewing polls again

High on their own supply.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We shouldn't.

Look, I don't think there's any question that polling has moved slightly in Trump's direction in some of the swing states over the last few days, and that the Trump campaign has gotten off their back foot, and are driving the discourse in many places. That's to be expected and there's no need to sweat that. Harris has superior field organization in every swing state and at least equal enthusiasm, not to mention more positive (as opposed to negative) enthusiasm, and she can get it back with solid campaigning.
But the fact is that this is an extremely tight race in the places that matter and  right now there's 5-7% of potential wiggle in any given one of those places and we should expect it to show up that way in polling. 

I still maintain that that 5-7% who will decide this election, they will lock in as a group, as soon as the week following the debate and by the end of September at the latest, and they will harden from that point absent some kind of major exogenous event*. The debate could not be more important and will quite possibly decide the future of the Republic, not just the outcome of the election. So there's no use in talking about what would happen if the election were held today, because it isn't. 

* The Harris campaign and the DOJ should both be extremely vigilant about adversary state actors on this point. Surely someone is planning something. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It sure doesn't seem to be consistent with the recent SCOTUS ruling in the Colorado ballot case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, you shoudn't say that shit outloud. Whether you're superstitious, or you don't want Democrats to get overconfident and stay home, it's a bad look. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

25 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

in what state? Wyoming?

Animated GIF

I think Dick Cheney is a war criminal, but some people view him as a rock-rib patriot (pains me to type this).

Cheney father and daughter need to cut an ad endorsing Harris with Kelly, McMaster, and Mattis walking into the frame in sequence.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

but what about raising taxes on the impoverished?  They don't have a lot of political clout. 

Harris is correctly pointing out that Trumps tariffs are indirect taxes which will impact poor people more.

• Hook 'Em 1