2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Winning for Kamala is as simple as during her opening remarks telling the viewers every time Trump lies I’ll touch my ear or some other tell. It’ll be so over the top and come Wednesday most of America will be using that tell among friends family and office mates when calling bullsh on something. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This evening, the kids and I went to a local greasy spoon for dinner.  The booth behind me had a couple, probably mid-60's, who were finishing up.   They were talking about the debate as if it was a football game that was upcoming; they were excited.  Within about 10 seconds I figured out they were Team GOP.

The husband was asking the wife questions about format, network, etc.   The wife was using her phone and looking up basic information about the debate, and then when she told him it was 90 minutes long, he said that was bad news for her---she couldn't debate for that long.  Plus, the network was so biased that she obviously already had all the questions and whatnot.   The wife came back with each person would get 2 minutes, then 2 minutes for a rebuttal, then a minute for a follow up if needed.    Husband said Trump wouldn't need the full 2 minutes, because he gets straight to the point and could answer any question in 30 seconds or less, and his answers would be so great Harris couldn't reply.

My wife and I thought that was you.   Next time, buy our dinner, you broke, woke, libtard, commie, illegal alien loving dumbocrat…. 😂

Edited by TeeDubya
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

36 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I don’t believe any poll that has a dem candidate for senate or Gov ahead of the republican candidate and also has Trump ahead of Harris. That is complete bullshit

Generally I agree, but I'd say in North Carolina this is probably the favored outcome at this point in time.  If Harris nabs NC, she's going to win the whole enchilada of swing states and put Florida within spitting distance.  Texas, of course, will remain stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Good start.

When the orange dipshit lies, instead of debunking him with the truth, I hope she just says "You're lying, AGAIN" and move on because there's not enough time in the world to debunk all of his lies.

aintnobodygottimeforthat.jpg.bed83bfd2a518d2995bce1ad004297ea.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

If Trump goes off on one of his diatribes, Kamala should call him out on that being one of his weaves.  And she can tell people she has seen a weave or two.  And wait for the blackness hatred to be revealed by goldylocks. 

This country is cooked. 

Built on murder and slavery of 'immigrants' in the name of Jesus, because In God We Trust. 

If that was acceptable, how is anything a surprise? 

Doing the right thing will surprise the heck outta me.

Good luck. Your new emperor awaits.

Genuinely believe you will be able to accurately forecast the election in 24 hours. Anything other than a clear win for Kamala tonight will set in motion the path for another Trump victory. The good thing is I think she has it in her, but she can’t let Trump turn it into another “are these really the two best options we have?” event.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Generally I agree, but I'd say in North Carolina this is probably the favored outcome at this point in time.  If Harris nabs NC, she's going to win the whole enchilada of swing states and put Florida within spitting distance.  Texas, of course, will remain stupid.

im-texas-spongebob.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, Slacks said:

This country is cooked. 

Built on murder and slavery of 'immigrants' in the name of Jesus, because In God We Trust. 

And what do we say to the god of death?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

This country is cooked. 

Okay, Imani Perry. 

I'm reading South to America right now. A really great book. 

13 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

The fact that these polls aren't way more lopsided is absurd. People flat aren't listening to anything he is saying and are just on a team. The guy is a blathering dangerous idiot. This country needs a hard reset and I have no idea how that is even possible at this point. Some of the shit I hear people quote out in the wild as truth makes so little sense and is EASILY proven false. It just gives me little hope that anyone on one team gives two shits about this country. I take weeks off from the media for my sanity and just exist in the world. Then I step back in and see what crazy shit happened. Oh boy, it is wild to see how transparently bullshit of a world we live in.

If more people would step away from socials, mainstream, cook bullshit and just exist, it would possibly solve some issues. We don't all have to be so gd wound up all the time. I am guilty as hell of it too. I dont have socials, but i haven't opened CR for awhile just to stay sane. Just have to unplug some and reset.

The polls aren't more lopsided because of idiotic and uncritical reactionary centrists that will always be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. See: anastasis 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Genuinely believe you will be able to accurately forecast the election in 24 hours. Anything other than a clear win for Kamala tonight will set in motion the path for another Trump victory. The good thing is I think she has it in her, but she can’t let Trump turn it into another “are these really the two best options we have?” event.

It's a stain on our populace that you're correct.  The fact that Harris isn't up 10 points in this election, is a fucking embarrassment.  I work for a British firm and I'm ashamed every time our politics come up (I'm in EHS software so regulations and politics are part of it).  Half of our voting public are scumbags. 

I hope Harris wins, But if she doesn't, I'll be pulling for the complete collapse of our government.  It's what we deserve.  Hopefully, we can avoid Nazi Germany's fate. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

She has to be perfect. Meanwhile, Trump can blather on about whatever nonsense he wants and can tell 100 lies and it won’t matter.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The polls aren't more lopsided because of idiotic and uncritical reactionary centrists that will always be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. See: anastasis 

Let's go look at the polls in mid-September the last few cycles (via RCP) - the leader at this point (except 2008, different circumstances) won the popular vote.  Obviously 2016, Clinton did not win the EC.  

They actually weren't too far off for the winner's final total, except for 2008 (Lehman Bros collapse) and 2012 (Obama ended up almost 3 full points better than his polling at this point).  2016 is also an anomaly (Clinton finished almost 3 points better than her total, but they were both so hated and were both polling pretty awfully) 

2024 - Harris 48.4, Trump 47.3 (538 has it Harris 47.2, Trump 44.4) 
2020 - Biden 50.5, Trump 43 (Biden 51.3, Trump 46.9) 
2016 - Clinton 45.6, Trump 42.9 (Clinton 48.2, Trump 46.1) 
2012 - Obama 48.3, Biden Romney 45.4 (Obama 51.1, Romney 47.2) 
2008 - McCain 47.4, Obama 45.2 (Obama 52.9, McCain 45.7) 
2004 - Bush 49, Kerry 43.2 (Bush 50.7, Kerry 48.3) 

Everyone whines and cries about the "silent Trump vote," which is not a thing in 2024.  Obama underpolled his final support in both 2008 and 2012 - why not a silent Harris vote (i.e., young voters and voters of color who don't get represented well in polling) 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

hope Harris wins, But if she doesn't, I'll be pulling for the complete collapse of our government.  It's what we deserve.  Hopefully, we can avoid Nazi Germany's fate. 

If our country ends up blown to pieces, maybe at least we will get a good national commuter rail line in the rebuild.  

• Drool 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If our country ends up blown to pieces, maybe at least we will get a good national commuter rail line in the rebuild.  

Depends who is writing Constitution 2.0. If they win out and write it, everyone is going to be given an F-350 to drive. No bike lanes, no EVs, just gas guzzlers for life 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Depends who is writing Constitution 2.0. If they win out and write it, everyone is going to be given an F-350 to drive. No bike lanes, no EVs, just gas guzzlers for life 

Fuck it. Let's just do it. How much do I really care about my unborn great grandkids?

• Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I'm lame. And I wish I was away wrong.

To be honest, US history is really pretty shitty if you're not white.  Its pretty factual based on slavery, Native American extermination, eradication of the buffalo (to subdue the Native Americans), Jim Crow, etc etc.  Lots of bad history.   Some people want us to pretend it never happened.  Shoot... I just saw a documentary on the endangered ocelots of Texas and they shoed how the government funded wholesale slaughter of jaguars, pumas, wolves, etc in Texas.  Had no idea we once had jaguars in Texas.  Well, we killed every single one.  At least there are more people today looking to learn from our mistakes and make some decisions to not repeat history.  Are they the majority?  Maybe.  Hopefully those people can vote to bring Harris over the line.    

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No bike lanes you say? Do I still have to listen to clickity clack of bikers shoes walking in my cafe where their sweaty asses in spandex really need to have that large coffee and speak loudly of the new crank on their bike?

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't think a lot of the polls are as favorable to Trump as they are being made out to be.  Look at the Trumpkins in your life - if they are anything like the ones in my life, they are not that enthusiastic for him these days, unlike in 2016 and especially in 2020.

I'm still not seeing a lot of Trump signs, flags, and bumper stickers from 2024 either. They aren't going to vote for Harris, but I think a lot of them won't bother showing up at all, and it's not helped by the fact that as we speak, he is promoting the idea that it will be stolen from him, which can further depress turnout ("they stole it in 2020 and he's says they are stealing it again, why bother voting?").  

We can argue whether he actually believes that the election will be stolen or is just grifting off of it, but I think that he's recently been shown internal numbers that show he is going to lose bigly and so he's ramped up his rhetoric about the election being stolen and him arresting people who steal the election (hint: If the election is stolen, he won't be in office to arrest anybody, even if he could).

I got home from the game late last night. Girlfriend is a UM grad and grew up in rural Michigan about 45 minutes NE of Lansing. We spent a couple extra days on the trip so she could visit some family and such. Man, rural and small town Michigan is more enthusiastically MAGA than any place I've ever been. Tons of MAGA flags and Trump Vance campaign signs in every yard.  We met a couple of her cousins for dinner Friday night in the slightly larger town next to where she grew up and their entire "town square" area looked like the 4th of July, except the flags were all Trump and FJB flags. If you just glanced at it, it looked like "Patriotic Small Town USA"...but it was 100% MAGA

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Let's go look at the polls in mid-September the last few cycles (via RCP) - the leader at this point (except 2008, different circumstances) won the popular vote.  Obviously 2016, Clinton did not win the EC.  

They actually weren't too far off for the winner's final total, except for 2008 (Lehman Bros collapse) and 2012 (Obama ended up almost 3 full points better than his polling at this point).  2016 is also an anomaly (Clinton finished almost 3 points better than her total, but they were both so hated and were both polling pretty awfully) 

2024 - Harris 48.4, Trump 47.3 (538 has it Harris 47.2, Trump 44.4) 
2020 - Biden 50.5, Trump 43 (Biden 51.3, Trump 46.9) 
2016 - Clinton 45.6, Trump 42.9 (Clinton 48.2, Trump 46.1) 
2012 - Obama 48.3, Biden Romney 45.4 (Obama 51.1, Romney 47.2) 
2008 - McCain 47.4, Obama 45.2 (Obama 52.9, McCain 45.7) 
2004 - Bush 49, Kerry 43.2 (Bush 50.7, Kerry 48.3) 

Everyone whines and cries about the "silent Trump vote," which is not a thing in 2024.  Obama underpolled his final support in both 2008 and 2012 - why not a silent Harris vote (i.e., young voters and voters of color who don't get represented well in polling) 

I’ve wondered about this.  For one thing, if a rural/suburban wife in a swing/red state wants to vote Kamala, you know she’s “silent” otherwise her hubbie will beat that ass.

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I’ve wondered about this.  For one thing, if a rural/suburban wife in a swing/red state wants to vote Kamala, you know she’s “silent” otherwise her hubbie will beat that ass.

Some are silent and others drink the koolaid as a coping mechanism. I've lost count of the number of normal/fun/cool women from high school and college who got married, had kids, and turned into frothing-at-the-mouth Facebook MAGATs who live in Lakeway

Edited by chainsaw
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, locodos said:

After careful consideration and quiet contemplation, I've come to the realization, that in almost every scenario, I'd prefer a Hattian cat dish to Cincinnati Chili.  

As of yesterday I can confirm this is correct. 

28 minutes ago, texasdago said:

To be honest, US history is really pretty shitty if you're not white.  Its pretty factual based on slavery, Native American extermination, eradication of the buffalo (to subdue the Native Americans), Jim Crow, etc etc.  Lots of bad history.   Some people want us to pretend it never happened.  Shoot... I just saw a documentary on the endangered ocelots of Texas and they shoed how the government funded wholesale slaughter of jaguars, pumas, wolves, etc in Texas.  Had no idea we once had jaguars in Texas.  Well, we killed every single one.  At least there are more people today looking to learn from our mistakes and make some decisions to not repeat history.  Are they the majority?  Maybe.  Hopefully those people can vote to bring Harris over the line.    

The one thing driving from Michigan through Ohio and Kentucky has gotten me is perspective on this. White people are certainly living terribly in those states. Its wild how obviously shitty everything is in Ohio Kentucky and Tennessee doso far. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I got home from the game late last night. Girlfriend is a UM grad and grew up in rural Michigan about 45 minutes NE of Lansing. We spent a couple extra days on the trip so she could visit some family and such. Man, rural and small town Michigan is more enthusiastically MAGA than any place I've ever been. Tons of MAGA flags and Trump Vance campaign signs in every yard.  We met a couple of her cousins for dinner Friday night in the slightly larger town next to where she grew up and their entire "town square" area looked like the 4th of July, except the flags were all Trump and FJB flags. If you just glanced at it, it looked like "Patriotic Small Town USA"...but it was 100% MAGA

Uh they tried to kidnap and murder Big Gretchen. Michigan MAGA is quite a different breed 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

As of yesterday I can confirm this is correct. 

The one thing driving from Michigan through Ohio and Kentucky has gotten me is perspective on this. White people are certainly living terribly in those states. Its wild how obviously shitty everything is in Ohio Kentucky and Tennessee doso far. 

Drive from Austin through Texas... you drive through one dump after another. Towns that are falling apart and in terrible shape and yet they keep voting for the same R leadership over and over again.  Drive through places like Santa Anna (which has potential based on the scenic location, in my dumb opinion) and its falling apart but by God, Trump signs a plenty.  What is someone like Donald doing for them?  Nothing.  And yet Coleman county was 88% for Trump in 2020.  Same for state leadership.  

• Hook 'Em 6

Mooch turns face.

Didn’t this guy last like 5 min in the cabinet?

I know most normal capable people that the orange cunt hired have turned on him. But is this guy one of them? Or is he a true wack job too?
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Drive from Austin through Texas... you drive through one dump after another. Towns that are falling apart and in terrible shape and yet they keep voting for the same R leadership over and over again.  Drive through places like Santa Anna (which has potential based on the scenic location, in my dumb opinion) and its falling apart but by God, Trump signs a plenty.  What is someone like Donald doing for them?  Nothing.  And yet Coleman county was 88% for Trump in 2020.  Same for state leadership.  

America outside of cities has mostly failed. It's wild. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Superhero said:

When the orange dipshit lies, instead of debunking him with the truth, I hope she just says "You're lying, AGAIN" and move on because there's not enough time in the world to debunk all of his lies.

aintnobodygottimeforthat.jpg.bed83bfd2a518d2995bce1ad004297ea.jpg

All of you are way overcomplicating this.  When dotard steps over the line, she needs to walk over to his podium and slap the living shit out of him.  That's it, nothing less / nothing more.

• Hook 'Em 1

Debates are not actually debates. They're more like stock shows. Whoever looks most presidential wins. Literally nothing else matters. Least of all, the facts.

The last debate was mostly a "No Contest" but because Biden's underperformance dominated the news cycles, people forgot that Trump also looked incredibly unpresidential.

Harris needs to look and act presidential. That means answering the question that was asked. Don't bore people with too many details or numbers (whoever prepped Biden to do that should be fired and never work again). Get a jab or two in, but do it presidentially. If Trump lies, don't give it air by pointing it out or trying to debunk it. Let your surrogates handle that on TV afterwards.

• Hook 'Em 8

They call it democracy.

I've been doing my meditation and mindfulness stuff lately, and you have to accept that people are just going to vote against your interest and their interest for the craziest and depressing reasons.   

The problem is American politics is not all based on "reactions".  I know this is going to sound way off point, but I there was one particular World Cup where "watch party" reactions to Landon Donovan's goal all went viral.  I remember thinking - who the fuck cares?  Quit panning back to all these fat fucks jumping for joy and just show the goal.  

We've become a nation of people for some strange reason who are obsessed with the reaction and opinion of the rabble to things that actually happen.  We don't have time to correctly analyze the underlying policy or incident because all our time is spent on caring what dumb shit MAGA people do, or what radical progressives do.   

Until people are starving, they are going to keep doing stupid stuff.  And when they are starving, they are going to do especially stupid stuff. 

I don't know, I'm talking out of my ass, but I think it's a waste of time to worry about how others will vote or how stupid they are.   I'm going to try not to add to that pile of useless criticism. 

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Debates are not actually debates. They're more like stock shows. Whoever looks most presidential wins. Literally nothing else matters. Least of all, the facts.

The last debate was mostly a "No Contest" but because Biden's underperformance dominated the news cycles, people forgot that Trump also looked incredibly unpresidential.

Harris needs to look and act presidential. That means answering the question that was asked. Don't bore people with too many details or numbers (whoever prepped Biden to do that should be fired and never work again). Get a jab or two in, but do it presidentially. If Trump lies, don't give it air by pointing it out or trying to debunk it. Let your surrogates handle that on TV afterwards.

I would have agreed until Trump. To the MAGA crowd what does looking Presidential mean? He says what they want to hear. He was on TV (which we for some stupid reason glorify), etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

This.  I've always said this about campaigns in general but debates specifically.  The candidate has to look presidential and an example is that are they believable as a CEO or senior executive at a major company.  Trump does not look like a CEO at all, which is why he's not popular with white collar types who realize he's a fucking buffoon.  Blue collar or rural types think all exec's look like that and they don't.  Harris looks the part.  Biden was too old.  Hillary looked the part but came with baggage.  Obama looked the part.  McCain didn't.  Mitt looked the part.

A debate won't win the election but it can lose it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1