2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Did not know they were moving. Thanks.

Shit, I am moving to Puerto Rico.

To be fair Puerto Ricans are pretty "normal" aka more democrat than republicans, but they needed to be voting like Mexican immigrants tend to vote after what Trump did during Maria.

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Good.

Good, although there’s no way there would be another march at the capital. Nothing organized by trump at least, or that he even co-signs off on. 

He’ll just tell people to “fight.” It’ll be done fucking militia that organizes something somewhere else. Like altogether governor kidnapping or some shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good, although there’s no way there would be another march at the capital. Nothing organized by trump at least, or that he even co-signs off on. 

He’ll just tell people to “fight.” It’ll be done fucking militia that organizes something somewhere else. Like altogether governor kidnapping or some shit. 

Agreed on something like a governor or secretary of state kidnapping event in a state where Harris wins.

I was in DC on business the week of the 2004 election.  Things seemed to be incredibly secure; all major intersections around the white house and capitol had military checkpoints, you had to stop your car and get profiled, lots of automatic weapons on display, so on.  I know why it was that way at the time, and as the years passed, I'm guessing the feds didn't feel the need to have such a show of force.  I'm pretty sure from now on DC will be locked down during this period.

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They don’t agree with her, the point is Trump is such a threat they are willing to vote for a democrat. I’d like to see her point that out more. “These are people with whom we fundamentally disagree on many things but they see what is obvious, Donald Trump is unfit to hold office.” They’re not conceding any issues to these assholes but you know some of the more naive progressives are gonna start grumbling about this shit which is asinine. Hopefully Cheney can sway enough traditional educated conservatives to not only not vote for Trump but to vote for Harris that the a wing states are a clean sweep.

I agree 100% but wouldn't it be nice if she said "See, even a pro-torture POS like Alberto Gonzalez and a war criminal who should be tried at the Hague Dick Cheney thinks doTarD is unfit." 

edit; but with better grammar

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

I agree 100% but wouldn't it be nice if she said "See, even a POS like Alberto Gonzalez thinks doTarD is unfit." 

If she’s gonna go full Kamala she gotta say muthafucku, with a u, and I’m all for it, Cheney especially.

I'll understand if someone else besides Jon Stewart tells Cheney to fuck off and fake vomits. 

Dammit I'm sitting here trying to think of some common ground. A least common denominator. 

We both agree that Trump is a known threat to democracy. 

That's it.

I haven't forgotten or forgiven him for his part in getting us here. But, I'll take his vote too. We're united by a desire to see some semblance of democracy continue in this country. That we can't allow Trump anywhere near the WH. I don't know if he's putting his money where his mouth is, but he's still providing cover for neocons like him to vote against Trump. I'm for Kamala but voting against Trump counts the same. 

God loves a cheerful giver, but he'll take money from a grouch too.

• Hook 'Em 9

I honestly might hate this even more than Cheney. Talk about motherfuckers who paved the road for Trump.
But hopefully this, Cheneys, and other republicans help create the permission structure for Republican voters who aren’t part of the cult to vote Dem this time.

Yep, this isn’t for you. But if it makes even a few lifelong Republicans that hate Trump feel more comfortable pulling the lever for the other side, then it’s a win.
A big outcry against it, though, will backfire. “He’s endorsing your candidate and you still attack him! Why should I?” would be a logical reaction. Just ignore it and hope it resonates outside our comfortable political circles.
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Making sure a mentally ill severely stupid unfit criminal doesn’t hold the nuclear football ever again is the only common ground that matters right now.

I said essentially this to a Trumper yesterday and was told "Well Kamala slept her way to the top, so they both have their warts". 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I said essentially this to a Trumper yesterday and was told "Well Kamala slept her way to the top, so they both have their warts". 

That Montell Williams is a gateway to power.

I mean forget about all the other individual achievement thru out her life, both academic and professional.  Nope, what got her on the path to power was Montell Williams, perfectly sound logic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

She slept her way to the top, so I'm voting for the serial aldutering rapist rageaholic.

mkay

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

She slept her way to the top, so I'm voting for the serial aldutering rapist rageaholic.

mkay

It's something I see from every Trumper. "Well Hillary/Biden/Harris whoever once got a parking ticket or something in 1988 so I have no choice but to vote for Trump."

It's fucking insane, obviously. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Take a moment to think about all the people that post on Surly who are above posting in CR.  They’re not pieces of shit that are gonna pull the lever for dictator Trump, in unison with many an aggy.  No sir, they’re just above a good party like we having here.  Lol.  

Fuck ‘em!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, the severity in difference of results might be more than a slight consideration.

• Hook 'Em 1

A Fulton County judge ruled Cornell West is not eligible for the ballot in Georgia.  Another Fulton County judge ruled De La Cruz is also not eligible for the ballot.

TBD on what comes next - the judge who ruled De La Cruz off the ballot says there's time to re-print and make sure she is not listed, but the one who ruled Cornell West off said there is insufficient time to remove him, but his votes cannot be counted 

Brad Raffensperger ruled all West, De La Cruz and Stein qualified to make the ballot, but 3 judges have overruled him.  Chase Oliver is still on the ballot. 

Literally, West's 0.5-1% could make or break Georgia. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A Fulton County judge ruled Cornell West is not eligible for the ballot in Georgia.  Another Fulton County judge ruled De La Cruz is also not eligible for the ballot.

TBD on what comes next - the judge who ruled De La Cruz off the ballot says there's time to re-print and make sure she is not listed, but the one who ruled Cornell West off said there is insufficient time to remove him, but his votes cannot be counted 

Brad Raffensperger ruled all West, De La Cruz and Stein qualified to make the ballot, but 3 judges have overruled him.  Chase Oliver is still on the ballot. 

Literally, West's 0.5-1% could make or break Georgia. 

Our system was not meant to withstand the pressures of Trumpism.  

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Our system was not meant to withstand to pressures of Trumpism.  

It is not just Trumpism. Independent candidates have been bad actors for a long time. Greens only ever run people for president or big state races, like Senate, with Russia and GOP money backing. Independents never aim to win local offices first - they just grift for presidential runs.

lack of standardized ballots and deadlines makes this so much more difficult. 50 different laws and deadlines 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It is not just Trumpism. Independent candidates have been bad actors for a long time. Greens only ever run people for president or big state races, like Senate, with Russia and GOP money backing. Independents never aim to win local offices first - they just grift for presidential runs.

lack of standardized ballots and deadlines makes this so much more difficult. 50 different laws and deadlines 

SCOTUS was just so sure a couple of months ago that this wasn't how it worked!

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Take a moment to think about all the people that post on Surly who are above posting in CR.  They’re not pieces of shit that are gonna pull the lever for dictator Trump, in unison with many an aggy.  No sir, they’re just above a good party like we having here.  Lol.  

Fuck ‘em!

Meanwhile, there is a person with the username "magabro" who posts frequently in the football forum, and I've yet to see one of the self-appointed moderators that screeches about CR posts have any sort of problem with it. So strange, so perplexing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

We used to celebrate the crossover voter. I'm old enough to remember Reagan Democrats. If Darth Cheney can fill in the circle for Kamala I'm not going to holler about it. I'll even hold off on calling him a bloodthirsty sonofabitch until a more appropriate time. 

I do celebrate the crossover voter, call a Cheney or Michael Hayden or Olivia Troye what you want- at least it was an ethos that guided their actions. Happy to welcome them with their convictions, even though I’m still horrified by many of the things they’ve been involved in. I agree - give a small number of conservatives a permission framework to break from their party.

Gonzales, on the other hand, is a career yes man who dishonored the United States and legitimized torture for the sake of expediency and client service, in addition to lying to congress and a host of other crimes of low integrity. His vote for Harris is welcome, but I can’t imagine he’ll bring anyone along and it does nothing to rehabilitate his well-deserved ignominy. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Politics is about making unlikely coalitions to win. Don’t we make fun of the far left who demand only pure voting blocs and that’s why they lose? 

True, but we should still get to send Cheney and Gonzales to Gitmo when this is all over with. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

True, but we should still get to send Cheney and Gonzales to Gitmo when this is all over with. 

We only need them until November 6 and then they can fuck all the way off

• Hook 'Em 1