2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I do have some concern about the juxtaposition between the campaign styles where KH is almost entirely rallies/in person while maga has been much more about podcast and tv. Worried that we look back on it as maga being at the leading edge to some degree of how national races are won via those megaphones. 

Any time she rallies in a town, she makes the local news. Usually it will come with a view of the crowd, maybe a shot of long lines going into the venue, and maybe a brief clip of her saying something interesting/inspirational.  She also gets a headshot in the local paper.  It also drives discussion about her on social media for the residents.  There is a lot of earned media with every rally. 

Also, something the campaign is making a point of is contrasting her schedule with Trump's schedule.  She is demonstrating that she is younger and has more energy.  If Trump tries to match her schedule, he will get even more unstable.  

I think interviews with media outlets that have paywalls (NYT, WSJ, WaPo) are practically worthless.  If anyone is paying for those services, they already know who they are voting for.  Interviews on CNN, NBC, etc. will reach more people, but still have limited value for similar reasons  I like that she gave an interview to a local station in Pennsylvania.  I think local news is less associated with national politics, and therefore can reach a wider cross-section of a particular city/region.  I would like to see more of that.  

I don't know much about the podcast stuff.  I am old. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Dana Bash should be taken off the air for that. Absolutely embarrassing to have such feeble pushback to a VP candidate admitting he’s taking pages directly from the Nazi playbook 

Well, she's horrible, so yes, she should be taken off the air . . . years ago.  An absolutely unlikeable, untalented hack who mostly just interrupts people.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, she's horrible, so yes, she should be taken off the air . . . years ago.  An absolutely unlikeable, untalented hack who mostly just interrupts people.

On the latest Sarah Longwell podcast/video, Bash tried to justify her and Tapper’s failure to fact check in the first debate… and somewhat criticize ABC’s decision to fact-check in last week’s debate.  it was infuriating.

Her halting speaking style sucks too.  I always assume I’m somehow just missing her appeal.

7 weeks to go, key dates for things that could change the outcome:

9/17: Fed meets on Sep 17-18; their announcement about rate changes could have dramatic impact on the stock market and sentiment toward Harris.

9/20: Early voting begins; exit polling and other insights might start showing up.

10/1: VP debate; for now it looks quite likely that Walz/Harris will receive another bump, but a major snafu could erode their momentum.

10/4: Sept jobs report released

10/10: Sept inflation report released

11/5: Election Day 

Unscheduled or unknown events that could change things:

Assassinations and assassination attempts

Health problems for either candidate or their running mates 

Scandals (affairs, etc.)

Developments in Ukraine/Israel wars

Significant stories involving illegal immigrants

I think there’s more downside for Trump in the unknowns than for Harris.  I think Trump is more likely to get killed, have healthy problems, or have a scandal.  Harris is more vulnerable to negative outcomes related to stories on the economy, Ukraine/Israel, and immigration, but I think it’s limited.  I don’t think the majority of Americans actually would prefer Trump to handle something like the aftermath of Putin firing off a nuke, or Iran escalating with the Israelies.  Interestingly, it doesn’t look like the actual crimes that Trump has been indicted for are going to have any material impact on the election; that’s insane to me.

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think Trump is more likely to get killed, have healthy problems, or have a scandal. 

The most likely scenario is that batshit crazy Laura Loomer can’t keep her big mouth shut and tells someone who tells the press that she’s been sucking Trump’s micropenis. 

Glad he wasn’t harmed….

With that said, something is up. Whether it was the major blowback from JV on this Haitian stuff, JV’s terrible morning shows, turnip’s “i hate swift” tweet, or what but it’s just odd that this randomly happened….now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Or blame the Cubans.

MAGA turning against the Cubans would be a prime example of leopards eating faces.

Probably swing FLA to Harris

Nawwwwww man, the cats were shooting at the Haitians.  Hatin' them Haitians eatin' us!!!

23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Glad he wasn’t harmed….

With that said, something is up. Whether it was the major blowback from JV on this Haitian stuff, JV’s terrible morning shows, turnip’s “i hate swift” tweet, or what but it’s just odd that this randomly happened….now. 

WTF?  I thought it was a couple of West Palm homeboys shooting at each other?