2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If Trump wins that will make the third time in the last four Republican victories that the will of the majority has been thwarted.

That doesn't seem tenable.

It'll take a full on armed revolution to undo the constitution and start from scratch. The red states aren't going to budge on this issue through traditional means. He would need to not only win but follow through on Project 2025 like nationwide abortion ban, end same sex marriage, mandatory prayer in public schools, or doing away with public schools altogether. I think he's fundamentally lazy and stupid and won't pull all of that off and the majority of the middle class regardless of the president and inflation and all that shit is just comfortable enough to not worry about burning down the palace.

Edited by 'stache

5 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

JL Partners is a UK-based pollster set up by ex-Tory advisors. So take it for what it's worth. 

According to the write-up in the Daily Mail, Trump has lost 17 points of support with Hispanics (now 45-27 Harris) half his support of black voters (13 to 6%) and Harris leads with independents. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

JL Partners is a UK-based pollster set up by ex-Tory advisors. So take it for what it's worth. 

According to the write-up in the Daily Mail, Trump has lost 17 points of support with Hispanics (now 45-27 Harris) half his support of black voters (13 to 6%) and Harris leads with independents. 

I mean, they have the demographics right at least.

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You’re getting your Nates confused. Nate Cohn works for the NYT not Silver.

I guess it wasn't apparent by the rest of the post, but it was a joke. Nate Silver sucks balls and is in the tank for Thiel so of course he'd write a headline like I wrote. I wasn't gonig for factual accuracy, dude. 

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If Trump wins that will make the third time in the last four Republican victories that the will of the majority has been thwarted.

That doesn't seem tenable.

What about anything in this country seems tenable at this point?

• Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It'll take a full on armed revolution to undo the constitution and start from scratch. The red states aren't going to budge on this issue through traditional means. He would need to not only win but follow through on Project 2025 like nationwide abortion ban, end same sex marriage, mandatory prayer in public schools, or doing away with public schools altogether. I think he's fundamentally lazy and stupid and won't pull all of that off and the majority of the middle class regardless of the president and inflation and all that shit is just comfortable enough to not worry about burning down the palace.

Texas Reps are already lining up to implement our own electoral college on all statewide offices, in an effort to offset the popular vote potential in the large Metro areas.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I've already touched on that one.  Insider Advantage was the worst pollster in 2022 and was 5-6 points to the right in all of their results.  They are one of the most biased pollsters for Republicans, behind Trafalgar and Rasmussen.   They're were not much better in 2020 either - consistently to the right in all of the states they polled. 

They conveniently waited until that Harris +3 dropped and then they dropped theirs. They don't release crosstabs or MOE either. 

IA is just another right-wing spam poll - we are finally going to get high-quality PA polls (Suffolk, another in-state polling company this week) but the zone is still being flooded with crapola. 

Thanks boss. Saw it on twitter then immediately went into a meeting and couldn’t keep up with surly

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mitch ain't dumb - he's probably the politically shrewdest Republican in the Senate.  He knows, or as has seen polling, that a shutdown is going to kill them in November

Highlights by OnTexasFootball (@ontexasfootball) / X

If you'd have told me 10 years ago that today, I would be distracting myself from a country already engaged in soft-civil war and a political party that's gone full xenophobic fascist with....the glorious escapades of the nation's #1 football team...I'd have referred you to involuntary commitment and shock therapy.

Yet here we are.

GO HORNS!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Mitch, you stupid dishonest mother fucker, you would be blamed because its you're fucking fault! Republicans have spent the last 50 years vilifying the very existence of the federal government, big fucking surprise that you're base and several of your elected people in congress think that shutting down the government is a good thing! Reap what you sow fuckface.

Um, your. 🤪

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Mitch, you stupid dishonest mother fucker, you would be blamed because its you're fucking fault! Republicans have spent the last 50 years vilifying the very existence of the federal government, big fucking surprise that you're base and several of your elected people in congress think that shutting down the government is a good thing! Reap what you sow fuckface.

When I think about the ineffective Republican leadership that allowed Trump to gain control of the party by lying and taking advantage of a gullible public, probably the number one guy to blame is Mitch McConnell. He was the only one who theoretically had the power to shut down Trump, and his feeble effort was a disgrace. 

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, locodos said:

about that 20K Haitians dropped on Springfield

1. It's bullshit
  2. *IF* it were true, who does he think dropped them there?  *Cough*shitbagredstategovernors*Cough*

They keep saying it grew by 30% in two years.  If that were true, it would have made all the lists for fastest growing cities.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

And they've done nothing but commit fuck up after fuck up since Kamala became the nominee.  And no one is going to stop the mistakes because everyone around Trump is either a bootlicker, a grifter, a nut or some combination of the 3.  The ship isn't going to magically stop sinking.

And Steve Bannon is still in prison. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

5 minutes ago, locodos said:

Let me just share this ...  Not more than an hour ago I was talking to my daughter who is now off at college.  Amongst the usual updates on how things are going, she hits me with "Hey dad, how do I check my voter registration and make sure that I can vote up here in the election.  My roommates and I are all going to go vote together and we don't want to miss this."  She is not a Swifty, she's not interested in politics at all as far as I'm aware, but she is jazzed to vote in this election.  So maybe there's a little something something going on below the radar.  Will the youth vote FINALLY show up and change the playing field?  God I hope so.  

Hide contents

No pics you assholes!

No where did you say she is voting for Harris. What if she is one of the 40%?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know this video was posted before, but the Kamala campaign HAS to get Walz in front of the young male demographic more often. Like others have mentioned, Rogan or Theo Von podcast would be fine. I would love an appearance on ESPN or at a football game, but that's probably unlikely as sports media probably wants to avoid getting into the political conversation. 

Young men are incredibly impressionable, and they are only being fed Trump shit all the time. These kids are are not gonna tune in for the VP debate. Give him an hour deep dive conversation with someone. Walz can handle it, there is zero downside.

The youngster in my house explained to us what rizz means. It’s a play on the word, charisma - as in, she rizzed me first, Dad.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Actually, the better analogy is this:

-Democrats played a hideous first half. Sluggish, no energy, penalties, drops, dumb mistakes. Somehow, they get to the locker room at halftime only down 10 and receiving the second half kickoff.

-Coaches make some changes in the locker room. New QB and a different coach calling the defense. First play of 2H is play action that the entire GOP back 7 bites hard on. Deep man waltzes untouched into the end zone for a 75-yard TD. Game on. 

-Since that play, the GOP is making more and more mistakes while the Dem OL is finally opening gaps on the ground.  

Biden:Jalen Hurts

Harris:Tua

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.salon.com/2024/09/17/depressed-disgusted-and-horrified-these-lifelong-say-theyre-finally-done-with/

"Depressed, disgusted and horrified": These lifelong Republicans say they're finally done with Trump

Former Republicans opposed to Donald Trump are working to give conservatives "permission" to vote for a Democrat

Robert Nix, a 62-year-old lawyer from Philadelphia, was a lifelong Republican before Donald Trump came to office. He’s voted red in every election since he turned 18, and things were no different in 2016 when he voted for the GOP candidate.

But Nix quickly felt he had made a mistake. He was bothered by Trump’s boisterous comments and attacks on freedom of the press. By the time the next election rolled around in 2020, Nix put aside his ideological differences with President Joe Biden and voted Democrat for the first time in his life.

“I wasn't happy about it, but I didn't see any choice,” Nix said in an interview with Salon. This year, he’s encouraging others to do the same.

Nix is one of hundreds of Republicans sharing their experience in the hopes it will resonate with center-right voters in swing states like Pennsylvania. He is part of Republican Voters Against Trump (RVAT), a $3.5 million ad campaign started by Defending Democracy Together, an advocacy organization for conservatives "dedicated to defending America’s democratic norms, values, and institutions." In 2020, the same group launched a similar project, dubbed Republican Accountability, to share testimonials from conservative voters on their decision not to vote for Trump and encourage others to vote blue.

This year's campaign has the same objective: to use personal stories to reach center-right voters in battleground states who are concerned about Trump but hesitant to vote Democratic for the first time.

“The campaign is a community of these voters who feel politically homeless, who need a new home, who want to reject Donald Trump, but don't necessarily identify as Democrats,” John Conway, RVAT's director of strategy, said in an interview with Salon.

RVAT’s website has over 300 recorded testimonies from former-Trump voters who are voting Democrat this time around. Voters share the dangers of a second Trump term and encourage other conservatives to vote for Vice President Kamala Harris. Many of the testimonies, including Nix’s, are also on billboards and streaming service ads in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Kyle Sweetser, a 35-year-old construction worker and father of two from Mobile, Ala., voted for Trump in both 2016 and 2020. As a small business owner in the South, Sweetser liked that Trump was "business minded" and thought he would bring a fresh perspective to the Oval Office.

When Trump imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum in 2018, Sweetser directly felt the effects on his construction business and started to question Trump's economic policy. He still voted Republican in 2020, but did so reluctantly. After the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, however, Sweetser lost all faith in the former president.

Trump winning the Republican primary earlier this year "shook" Sweetser "to the core," he said. He decided he would vote Democrat for the first time in his life this fall.

Like Nix, Sweetser started speaking out against Trump, mostly criticizing his views on the economy and approach to foreign policy. With his children's futures in mind, he even spoke at the Democratic National Convention in August.

"I really started to really look at Trump's record under a microscope and realize how wrong he was, you know, on foreign policy, on trade, on the economy," he said in an interview with Salon. "I've never really been somebody that goes online and talks about things, but I felt like it was the right thing to do."

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Texas Reps are already lining up to implement our own electoral college on all statewide offices, in an effort to offset the popular vote potential in the large Metro areas.

I hope the blowback to this will be epic enough that it reignites a national movement to abolish the electoral college.Yeah, I know, I know…

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Can someone explain to me what role, if any, the President makes in insurance rates going up or down? Yes, insurance is expensive but isn't that due to there's a shitload more catastrophes now? Is he going to make hurricanes, tornados, and flooding no longer happen?

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Blah blah blah.  Republicans who voted for Trump but now have "finally had enough" amounts to about .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of his support.  And he's more than made that up with "people who are finally excited by Trump fully committing to total racism."  It's not even a wash, it's a negative for the rest of us.

Assume that everyone who has ever voted for Trump is an evil and/or ignorant (both, it's both) piece of shit.  You will be correct at a 99.9999999999999999999% pace.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Can someone explain to me what role, if any, the President makes in insurance rates going up or down? Yes, insurance is expensive but isn't that due to there's a shitload more catastrophes now? Is he going to make hurricanes, tornados, and flooding no longer happen?

Well a president with a sharpie can do a lot to move the catastrophes….

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Just move them with his magic sharpie so the threats even out for everyone.