2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Can someone explain to me what role, if any, the President makes in insurance rates going up or down? Yes, insurance is expensive but isn't that due to there's a shitload more catastrophes now? Is he going to make hurricanes, tornados, and flooding no longer happen?

What you don't understand is that "NOBODY UNDERSTANDS MORE ABOUT INSURANCE THAN ME," and "he's a billionaire successful businessman, he knows all there is to know about insurance," and "I'll get China to pay for it."

Duh.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Just now, honolulu horn said:

When we lived in Belize they were having a presidential election. One candidate took a bunch of food to the town we lived in, cooked chicken for everybody, and gave everyone $50. Even he had more integrity than Trump. 

Edited by honolulu horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, locodos said:
  1. I'm not going to tell her how to vote 
  2. She knows how the wife and I feel about the top of the ticket 
  3. She's aware that her/women's rights have been attacked 
  4. I told her that she should get a sample ballot and research the smaller races and amendments so she's not overwhelmed / surprised by the 30+ questions on the ballet
  5. She's a smart girl and who she votes for is her business and hers alone

I am VERY confident she'll make good decisions

I must have missed the picture of her and her college roommates.  We have rules around here! -creepy old man who posts on message board

Also, Trump is getting desperate as he is just finding anything to promise people to get them to vote for him.  It won’t be too long until he tells everyone that if they vote for him he will personally have his friend, the Nigerian Prince, send them a check for a million dollars.  People will believe it because they are dumb.  

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Seems that would be even harder since an amendment requires 3/4 of the states while the compact would need every state to agree. No way in hell any red state agrees because they know popular vote goes against them most elections.

you just need enough states to add up to 270 electoral votes to agree.   the idea is those states all agree to pitch their ECs to whoever wins the national popular vote.  doesn't matter what a single other state does outside of that group.

problem is some pretty concerning constitutional issues are apparent to even a 1st year law student.

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I must have missed the picture of her and her college roommates.

i can send you mine.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

When we lived in Belize they were having a presidential election. One candidate took a bunch of food to the town we lived in, cooked chicken for everybody, and gave everyone $50. Even he had more integrity than Trump. 

Well, yeah  At least the folks in Belize got some tasty chicken and fiddy bucks.  Trump expects the voters to pay HIM (buy my trading cards!  buy my crypto! etc.), not vice-versa.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I dunno. I moved from tx to wa and my auto insurance went down.  Also my homeowners insurance went down.  Come to think of it my property taxes went down around 50% too.  Electricity- you guessed it also down.  

1. Farther from the border and fewer uninsured drivers.

2. Fewer natural disasters and weather events.

3. You have an income tax to offset Texas’s stifling regressive property taxes.

4. Experienced the same when I moved from AZ to TX, except in the opposite direction.

Overall, our taxes and utilities went up when we moved to the low tax, deregulated utopia of Texas. Voters in this state are dumb or, perhaps worse, don’t even bother to vote.

Wanna know a way to reduce auto insurance? Authorize undocumented immigrants to obtain drivers' licenses to ensure public safety, require that they purchase insurance like everyone else, and immunize them from deportation if they are involved in an auto accident for which the insurance applies. Anything else, uninsured driving, reckless driving, DUI, etc., all remain crimes for which deportation is a possible repercussion. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

you just need enough states to add up to 270 electoral votes to agree.   the idea is those states all agree to pitch their ECs to whoever wins the national popular vote.  doesn't matter what a single other state does outside of that group.

problem is some pretty concerning constitutional issues are apparent to even a 1st year law student.

i can send you mine.

The easiest thing to pass would be a law adjusting the size of Congress with every census. Its obviously Constitutional - we did it every census until 1930. It was literally the original first amendment so the FF would approve. Just need a majority of both the House and Senate. F a filibuster.

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

1. Farther from the border and fewer uninsured drivers.

2. Fewer natural disasters and weather events.

3. You have an income tax to offset Texas’s stifling regressive property taxes.

4. Experienced the same when I moved from AZ to TX, except in the opposite direction.

Overall, our taxes and utilities went up when we moved to the low tax, deregulated utopia of Texas. Voters in this state are dumb or, perhaps worse, don’t even bother to vote.

no income tax in wa

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

more than made that up with "people who are finally excited by Trump fully committing to total racism."  It's not even a wash, it's a negative for the rest of us.

They were already in the bag for him. If I'm looking at the polling correctly, the Nikki Haley primary voters will not all come around for him and he needed every bit of that support.

https://pro.morningconsult.com/trackers/2024-presidential-election-polling

Only 91% of Trump 2020 voters will be voting for him in 2024 (vs 93% of Biden 2020 voters who support Harris) with 5% of them saying they will be voting Harris (vs. 4% of Biden 2020 voters who will support Trump).

That polling information plus the "look around you" test tells me there's lagging enthusiasm among Trump 2020 voters, which is why they're pushing their chips in on the ridiculous racist bullhorn agitation propaganda. Aurora, then Springfield, and there will be several more until November.

But like the people in the Salon article are saying, the average person regardless of where they sit on the political spectrum is just EXHAUSTED with this shit. They might not agree about who's responsible for it (Trump? MSM? Dems? All of the above?) but only one political party's viability is completely dependent upon the constant culture war bullshit, and we all know which party that is.

I bet if you talk to the 9% who aren't coming back to Trump, a lot of them will sound like the people in the Salon article, and a lot of them voted Haley in the primaries.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

The easiest thing to pass would be a law adjusting the size of Congress with every census. Its obviously Constitutional - we did it every census until 1930. It was literally the original first amendment so the FF would approve. Just need a majority of both the House and Senate. F a filibuster.

no income tax in wa

Dammit, I always get WA and OR confused. OR=no sales tax, WA=no income tax.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Can someone explain to me what role, if any, the President makes in insurance rates going up or down?

They can ignore the effects of climate change, gut the EPA, and thus indirectly increase risks for home insurance companies so that they no longer can offer affordable rates or have to avoid insuring homes in drastically affected parts of the country like Florida or California.

Oh, wait…

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, locodos said:
  1. I'm not going to tell her how to vote 
  2. She knows how the wife and I feel about the top of the ticket 
  3. She's aware that her/women's rights have been attacked 
  4. I told her that she should get a sample ballot and research the smaller races and amendments so she's not overwhelmed / surprised by the 30+ questions on the ballet
  5. She's a smart girl and who she votes for is her business and hers alone

I am VERY confident she'll make good decisions

I'm glad to hear it, which must be a sign of maturity on my part.  When I was younger, I certainly preferred young women that made bad decisions.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

I confused OR and WA. Already cleared up earlier. Anyhoo, was agreeing with you that the myth of Texas being a low tax, low cost state is all a facade.

I’m sure that after the past 5 years many Texans would prefer a tax tied to their income instead of their property value.   If they could think about it rationally.  Maybe.  

sorry, that’s asking for a thread derail I realize. Nip it in the bud. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Dems build momentum in Texas 

But several recent polls show Cruz struggling to cross the 50-percent mark, making the Texas Senate race a potential bright spot for Democrats as they battle to hold their slim majority in the upper chamber.

“If you’re Ted Cruz or a Ted Cruz fan, if in the closing months of an election, you’re not at 50 percent and you’re not closing that margin up towards 50 percent, that’s going to be problematic,” Loyd said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-build-momentum-texas-senate-100000336.html

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It was in reference to the national championship game where Hurts got pulled at halftime and Tua won it for them in the second half. 

Yeah, no shit. I understood the reference. Did you know that after that game, Tua went on to play in the NFL and has had multiple concussions? He is currently unable to play the game and possibly considering retirement due to potential long term issues like brain damage. That’s why I said it wasn’t a good analogy THIS WEEK. 

According to numbers from Voto Latino, which targets young Latinos for registration, the group facilitated 36,000 registrations in the six months leading up to July 21. In the weeks since, Voto Latino has registered 120,000 additional voters.

Of those voters, 59 percent are under 30, and 29 percent are in their 30s.

Those age groups, Kumar said, are connecting to Harris’s message not only on new platforms, but through language that’s lost on older demographics.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Welch said:

But it’s infuriating to hear these “experts” say this is a tied race.  It simply isn’t.  And if the numbers were all reversed and Trump had a 4-6 point lead in big reputable national polls, not one of those experts would be calling the race tied.

From late June to late July, any poll showing Trump ahead was regarded as GOSPEL. Trump up 6 points! Going to win 350+ EVs and pick off NM, MN, VA, CO!!!!! This race is over!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m fine with all of it and I want Democratic voters to feel like their individual vote is the most crucial vote in history

Counterpoint 1

People tend to quit when they are getting beaten soundly. 

Counterpoint 2 

This type of reporting is what feeds January 6 type batshittery

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I dunno. I moved from tx to wa and my auto insurance went down.  Also my homeowners insurance went down.  Come to think of it my property taxes went down around 50% too.  Electricity- you guessed it also down.  

As a recent transplant I can confirm all of this.  Well, except property taxes, because holy shit is property expensive in the Seattle area. 

• Like 1