2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

20 minutes ago, linux said:

I honestly don't care if there was COVID back then democrats need to start mail in voting right the fuck now.

I don't know how many voters are taking it under consideration, but the Republican PA Legislature passed a law that requires all in person votes to be counted before any count of write ins is done. Dems need to vote in person so Harris leads on election night.

• Hook 'Em 7

17 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

I don't know how many voters are taking it under consideration, but the Republican PA Legislature passed a law that requires all in person votes to be counted before any count of write ins is done. Dems need to vote in person so Harris leads on election night.

Every single election during the Trump terror have had democrats counted last, that is how the conspiracy theory works on the dumbasses, they think they go to sleep with Trump up, and wake up with Democratic victories and pout and cry like children.

And of course Donald has also used the excuse to STOP THE COUNT! and steal an election.

At the end of the day Democrats vote in cities, these cities have fewer voting centers than rural areas per capita. Over there they go vote and go home in 10 mins, in cities you have to stand in line,  the smaller the line because you voted by mail the higher the turnout in cities.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Surprised there's not more talk here about this one. There was a great segment on it tonight on Out Front with Erin Burnett.

Seems that in a 2016 blog post/article,  JD Vance derided the Republican Party's immigration stance and much more. So, later on, after reversing his stances on so many issues, I guess it's only natural that he'd try to get any evidence of his old views wiped off the internet. Didn't work though, thanks to a CNN reporter's detective work on one of my favorite websites - the Wayback Machine (wayback.archive.org)

Entering the segment, the CNN reporter said, "JD Vance eviscerated the Republican Party in this blog post. He attacked their position on women, minorities, people of color, immigrants. He attacked the very same positions that he is advancing today".

The reason that I changed my mind on Donald Trump is actually perfectly highlighted by what’s going on in Springfield,” Vance said. “Because the media and the Kamala Harris campaign, they’ve been calling the residents of Springfield racist, they’ve been lying about them. They’ve been saying that they make up these reports of migrants eating geese, and they completely ignore the public health disaster that is unfolding in Springfield at this very minute. You know who hasn’t ignored it? Donald Trump.”

Nelson, who spoke highly of Vance in messages with CNN, calling him one of the brightest students he’s taught, said Vance’s post had “ruffled some feathers in some campaigns” that Vance was thinking of working for.

Vance’s past anti-Trump rhetoric is well-known, as he was a vocal critic of the former president during much of Trump’s first year in office. And though Vance defended many of his supporters, he wrote on Facebook in 2016, “His (Trump's) very existence helps discredit nearly every idea and belief I care about... There are, undoubtedly, vile racists at the core of Trump's movement". 

Nelson, who spoke highly of Vance in messages with CNN, calling him one of the brightest students he’s taught, said Vance’s post had “ruffled some feathers in some campaigns” that Vance was thinking of working for.

JD Vance, Trump’s VP pick, once called him a ‘moral disaster,’ and possibly ‘America’s Hitler’
“I was a bit surprised at the blowback he apparently received from the GOP, as I thought his post was fairly innocuous,” Nelson told CNN. “Anyway, I liked JD and wanted to help him out, and so I went ahead and deleted his post.”

“He didn’t suggest that his thinking on the topics he wrote about in his post had changed,” Nelson added in messages to CNN.

CNN found the article through X, where it was mentioned by the think tank in 2012.

Two other blog posts Vance wrote for the website are still active, but CNN noticed the “Blueprint” article had been removed from the website. The Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine, where the post was saved, shows it was deleted sometime between March 2014 and February 2016.

‘Appealing only to White people’
Vance began his article by launching into a blistering critique of the GOP’s strategies and candidates, which he blamed for the party’s failures in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections.

“When the 2008 election was called for Obama, I remember thinking: maybe this will teach my party some very important lessons,” Vance wrote. “You can’t nominate people, like Sarah Palin, who scare away swing voters. You can’t actively alienate every growing bloc of the American electorate—Blacks, Latinos, the youth—and you can’t depend solely on the single shrinking bloc of the electorate—Whites. And yet, four years later, I am again forced to reflect on a party that nominated the worst kind of people, like Richard Mourdock, and tried to win an election by appealing only to White people.”

Mourdock’s Senate campaign imploded that year after he said that pregnancies resulting from rape were “something God intended.” During his own Senate run in 2022, Vance made his own controversial comments about rape and pregnancy, which have resurfaced after he secured the Republican nomination for vice president.

In the article he asked Nelson to delete, Vance argued the Republican Party would have problems if it did not adjust for the country’s changing demographics. He criticized the GOP’s adherence to supply-side economics, comparing it to supporting outdated policies like Soviet containment. He said during the Bush years this economic approach led to wage stagnation and concentrated growth, which alienated minority voters who found Democratic policies more relevant and appealing.

“Republicans lose minority voters for simple and obvious reasons: their policy proposals are tired, unoriginal, or openly hostile to non-whites,” Vance wrote.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/17/politics/jd-vance-delete-2012-blog-post-attacking-gop-anti-immigrant-rhetoric/index.html

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

All y'all planning to move up here to the great PNW, be aware of some things:

1) Everything between Vancouver WA and Olympia is basically Alabama with scenery. By all means help to change that if you want - we can always use the votes especially as that House seat just barely flipped blue in 2022.

2) WA state tax is technically a "sales and use tax", so take the shit you buy in Oregon home with you to avoid paying it. Don't have it delivered or you'll get dinged.

3) Don't bother going to Oregon to buy groceries; groceries haven't been charged sales tax in WA for decades (prepared food, yes). Prescriptions are also exempt. Weed tax is 37% but worth it, if you partake. 

4) Fairly sure if you physically work in OR you still have to pay state income tax to OR, even if you live in WA.

5) We don't do "Horns down". You're welcome here.

6) UO sucks just as OU does. It is known. 

WA Trumpers are like Texas centrists. California is the same. Tickles me to think yall think its the same. The far right of Texas would still be chaining black people behind cars and dragging them to their deaths. We did that less than 30 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

WA Trumpers are like Texas centrists. California is the same. Tickles me to think yall think its the same. The far right of Texas would still be chaining black people behind cars and dragging them to their deaths. We did that less than 30 years ago.

Fair point. My first work visits to Texas were 30 years ago and I recall that. I'd posit that part of the difference is the Black community in that part of WA is tiny (although ironically two of the most important pioneers in WA were Black men kicked out of Oregon in the 1860s when the entire state of Oregon became a "sundown state"; WA Territory had no such laws, nor did WA enact anti-miscegenation laws when OR did). But yes, the far right here has a much greater hard right, violent libertarian/"sovereign nation" bent to it than a particularly racial animus. That was particularly reserved for the Chinese in the 1880s.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, linux said:

I honestly don't care if there was COVID back then democrats need to start mail in voting right the fuck now.

I can’t right now. Ohio Republicans shortened the window for absentee voting (among other suppressive restrictions) so I can’t send in my ballot until 28 days before the election (Oct. 8).

https://www.acluohio.org/en/news/hb-458-what-changed-and-why-does-it-harm-ohio-voters

1 hour ago, flatdawgs said:

Fair point. My first work visits to Texas were 30 years ago and I recall that. I'd posit that part of the difference is the Black community in that part of WA is tiny (although ironically two of the most important pioneers in WA were Black men kicked out of Oregon in the 1860s when the entire state of Oregon became a "sundown state"; WA Territory had no such laws, nor did WA enact anti-miscegenation laws when OR did). But yes, the far right here has a much greater hard right, violent libertarian/"sovereign nation" bent to it than a particularly racial animus. That was particularly reserved for the Chinese in the 1880s.

Also it's beautiful up there man. My daughter was in the running for a vball scholarship up there for a bit and we were hoping and praying so we could have an excuse to relocate. As it stands she got it in NY. Ugh. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, linux said:

5 hours ago, linux said:

Every single election during the Trump terror have had democrats counted last, that is how the conspiracy theory works on the dumbasses, they think they go to sleep with Trump up, and wake up with Democratic victories and pout and cry like children.

And of course Donald has also used the excuse to STOP THE COUNT! and steal an election.

At the end of the day Democrats vote in cities, these cities have fewer voting centers than rural areas per capita. Over there they go vote and go home in 10 mins, in cities you have to stand in line,  the smaller the line because you voted by mail the higher the turnout in cities.

This is stupid fucking advice. Considering the post office is still a shit show and is expected to have issues, and the whole conspiracy aspect in no way disappears with the “going to bed red waking up blue” aspect because of how different states voting rules are laid out, the correct answer is: don’t vote by mail, vote in person early. Your “vote by mail now” actually exacerbates the problem. 

Which is what I’m going to do. That way my vote is counted the second the polls close. There’s no post office ballot to get lost or misplaced. 

Maybe don’t speak so definitely about stupid shit. Of course I realize who I’m talking to on the Internet, I’ve seen your posting for decades. But try, please. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So under Obama, things were a bit rough but he made it work.  But under Trump his overhead went from $200 to $600 and then went out if business and the red hat idiots in the background are just nodding along cause they aren’t listening to his words.   Is he a Soros plant?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Have you been to the Palouse?   Or easern Oregon?   Some of those Trumpers would be right at home at a southern Trump meeting.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

WA Trumpers are like Texas centrists. California is the same. Tickles me to think yall think it’s the same. The far right of Texas would still be chaining black people behind cars and dragging them to their deaths. We did that less than 30 years ago.

A lot of the rednecks in eastern Washington/Oregon are the same people who used to be east Texans dragging black people to death. A bunch of the most hardcore southern racists began moving to the PNW 20+ years ago because they saw it as their last redoubt. They even came up with a fancy name for it most of them probably can’t even pronounce: the northwest territorial imperative.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

(Pepper your) Angus Reid

Harris 49-45 (+4) - previous was also +4 (48-44)

AJC/University of Georgia

Trump 47, Harris 44 (Trump +3) - down from +5 in July (51/46)

They are tied with young voters in GA (lol) and most of the undecided are black/others.  They did two polls in September 2020 (tie and Trump +2) before their October poll was Biden +1

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's not blue states versus red states.  For the most part, it's urban versus rural. 

As has been the case since about 2010 or so.  

The rural areas got decimated in the Great Recession and have been further left behind.  The kids graduate HS and flee to the cities, further leaving behind the rural areas, or they go off to big state school and get indoctrinated....er, actually spend time around different people of different backgrounds and don't want to go back to bumfuck town.   Manufacturing jobs are dying or being exported to cheaper countries, further killing them.  Now you have Jeff Yass buying GOP politicians with voucher programs that are going to destroy small town public schools - the lifeblood of these communities. 

But y'know, it's the libs and the nig-.... migrants who are killing small town rural America! 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's not blue states versus red states.  For the most part, it's urban versus rural. 

It's Austin/Houston/San Antonio/Dallas versus the large swaths of rural areas in most of the rest of Texas.

It's Atlanta v. the Georgia mountains.

It's Seattle versus central/eastern Washington.

It's Portland/Eugene versus central/eastern Oregon.

It's southern California/Bay area versus Northern California.

The advantage the blue states have over Texas is that the blue urban areas outnumber the red rural areas, so Democrats control most of state government.  That's the advantage of blue states, from a political perspective (setting aside weather and other factors).  There are politically batshit crazy people all over blue states.  You can't escape that, unless you want to live in a big city or suburb.

Yes, I understand there are a lot of generalizations baked in this post.  But if you're dreaming of relocating to a nice small town in Washington or Oregon, be prepared for your Republican/MAGA/white nationalist neighbors stopping by for a cup of milk.

I care less if my neighbor is a loony toons dumbfuck, as long as a) I'm on enough land to not have to think about them and b) those loony toons also don't control state government. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yes, I understand there are a lot of generalizations baked in this post.  But if you're dreaming of relocating to a nice small town in Washington or Oregon, be prepared for your Republican/MAGA/white nationalist neighbors stopping by for a cup of milk.

Anton Chigur No Country For Old Men GIF - Anton Chigur No Country For Old  Men Javier Bardem - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Why does it feel like I only see Vance, out of the 4 candidates, on TV interviews right now? If you interpret his words on these shows, it's nonsense but he does project a calm demeanor in stark contrast to his boss. It creates the shallow illusion that a Trump/Vance administration will competently steer this country.

And while it's easy to say that only morons will fall for Vance's act, that moron's vote counts as much as anyone's. More so if the moron is in a swing state.

Walz and Harris need to get in the studio (CNBC, CNN, etc.) and communicate to wider TV audiences rather than focusing on rallies. IMO rallies offer limited benefit as the crowd is already 99% voting for that candidate. I don't see these rallies converting many independents or undecideds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why does it feel like I only see Vance, out of the 4 candidates, on TV interviews right now? If you interpret his words on these shows, it's nonsense but he does project a calm demeanor in stark contrast to his boss. It creates the shallow illusion that a Trump/Vance administration will competently steer this country.

And while it's easy to say that only morons will fall for Vance's act, that moron's vote counts as much as anyone's. More so if the moron is in a swing state.

Walz and Harris need to get in the studio (CNBC, CNN, etc.) and communicate to wider TV audiences rather than focusing on rallies. IMO rallies offer limited benefit as the crowd is already 99% voting for that candidate. I don't see these rallies converting many independents or undecideds.

Agreed. It really doesn’t seem to matter what Vance is saying in these interviews. People prone to want to vote R won’t look up what he’s talking about or push back on false statements at all. But the fact that they see him on TV, speaking calmly and confidently, in complete sentences and finished rational thoughts, gives them a reason to think someone smart and under control is on the ticket. That gives them cover to hold their nose and vote for Trump. 

Harris and Walz need to reach the same wide audience and show the masses they are intelligent, calm, rational leaders that can answer questions with unscripted responses in a confident way during a televised conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Vance is a media whore because he can't draw more than 24 people to his events.  No one likes him and nobody wants to go see him.

The same media that is fellating the shit out of Vance will be incredibly hostile to Harris. 

"Your plans aren't realistic"

"Your policy isn't specific enough"

"Why did you flip flop?"

"Let's just talk about Trump"

Harris did the NABJ yesterday and a radio show with a widely popular Latina entertainment reporter.   Walz was in the southeast at some college campuses and doing events in GA/NC. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Agreed. It really doesn’t seem to matter what Vance is saying in these interviews. People prone to want to vote R won’t look up what he’s talking about or push back on false statements at all. But the fact that they see him on TV, speaking calmly and confidently, in complete sentences and finished rational thoughts, gives them a reason to think someone smart and under control is on the ticket. That gives them cover to hold their nose and vote for Trump. 

Harris and Walz need to reach the same wide audience and show the masses they are intelligent, calm, rational leaders that can answer questions with unscripted responses in a confident way during a televised conversation. 

Harris needs to bite the bullet and address the "ban fracking" comments that she did make in 2019/2020. I don't see it as tough.

Just say, "When I stated ban fracking, it was in context to poor safety practices by a minority of operators. I know and I fully expect that competent drillers perform fracking at the highest levels of safety to the environment, the nearby community and their employees. As long as the operators continue to demonstrate that level of safety, I have zero intention of stopping them from making America energy independent."

If the media disagrees about the context Harris can follow it up that as a senator and VP she has never pushed to ban fracking. Actions speak louder than misinterpretation of a statement.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

A lot of the rednecks in eastern Washington/Oregon are the same people who used to be east Texans dragging black people to death. A bunch of the most hardcore southern racists began moving to the PNW 20+ years ago because they saw it as their last redoubt. They even came up with a fancy name for it most of them probably can’t even pronounce: the northwest territorial imperative.

I get what you are trying to say but what I mean is the average Trumper in a blue state has been accustomed to working inside a more liberally run infrastructure than a Texan. Everything from worker laws and rights to what happens at your kid's school is just different. A Trumper Texan would walk in there swinging his far right dick around and get told to fuck all the way off even by fellow Trumpers. West coasters, no matter their political affiliations, are just more attuned to liberal systems.  It's the same way here. We have this idea that Austin is liberal. Let the people that say that go to where my wife was born, Berkeley and see what REAL liberal is.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Harris and Walz are starting to do local-affiliate interviews, which is really smart.  For one thing, you get generally softer questions from interviewers who are less experienced and maybe a bit intimidated by interviewing a VPOTUS.  Second, there's an implied message in there that "this candidate cares enough about me and my community that she/he is taking time to talk to us on our local television station."  Third, it's more targeted--you can talk about how important it is to you to do the local thing for the local project that is going to benefit a bunch of these local people.

CNN and CNBC is a fucking waste of time.  People who watch those stations are doing so for entertainment; they've already made up their minds whom they're voting for.

The one national platform that I still think it's worthwhile to do an interview on is 60 Minutes.  The ratings for that show is still bonkers.  That post-football timeslot on Sunday evening is the closest thing we still have to a national television appointment.

I think 60 Minutes is a fantastic idea, if I had to pick one for her to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Harris and Walz are starting to do local-affiliate interviews, which is really smart.  For one thing, you get generally softer questions from interviewers who are less experienced and maybe a bit intimidated by interviewing a VPOTUS.  Second, there's an implied message in there that "this candidate cares enough about me and my community that she/he is taking time to talk to us on our local television station."  Third, it's more targeted--you can talk about how important it is to you to do the local thing for the local project that is going to benefit a bunch of these local people.

CNN and CNBC is a fucking waste of time.  People who watch those stations are doing so for entertainment; they've already made up their minds whom they're voting for.

The one national platform that I still think it's worthwhile to do an interview on is 60 Minutes.  The ratings for that show is still bonkers.  That post-football timeslot on Sunday evening is the closest thing we still have to a national television appointment.

national cable shows vs. local tv don't have to be a OR. Harris and Walz can do both. There is not a net negative in appearing on CNN or CNBC.

The other aspect of national shows is that they can also influence a wider range of voters including those in states that are already decided. Those voters can change the national polls that say who is ahead overall which does matter at this point of the race. 

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's Austin/Houston/San Antonio/Dallas versus the large swaths of rural areas in most of the rest of Texas.

It's Atlanta v. the Georgia mountains.

It's Seattle versus central/eastern Washington.

It's Portland/Eugene versus central/eastern Oregon.

It's southern California/Bay area versus Northern California.

The advantage the blue states have over Texas is that the blue urban areas outnumber the red rural areas, so Democrats control most of state government.  That's the advantage of blue states, from a political perspective (setting aside weather and other factors).  There are politically batshit crazy people all over blue states.  You can't escape that, unless you want to live in a big city or suburb.

Donald Trump got more votes in California than any other state.

Logically it makes sense, but I think people tend to forget about how many fucking people live in these big states.  Even a 60/40 Dem split is a fuckton of MAGA.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Logically it makes sense, but I think people tend to forget about how many fucking people live in these big states.  Even a 60/40 Dem split is a fuckton of MAGA.

Yeah, Trump got more votes in California (that he lost by 29 points) than he got in Texas (which he won). 

Biden's votes in TX+FL combined is still fewer than what he got in California, and he lost both of those states by not close margins.  California's population is just fucking staggering. 17.5 million votes in California and the next closest was Texas at 11.3 million.  California was 11% of the total votes cast in 2020 out of 50 states + DC

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

We don't drink raw milk in my house so those idiots won't be stopping by for a cup of milk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

True, and you find them even in the bluest of blue areas. In 2020 Trump lost Seattle 92-8, on 91% turnout. Even that means that statistically 1 out of every 11 people you see here voted for Trump, which is weird to think of when you're in the store or on the train or whatever.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, Trump got more votes in California (that he lost by 29 points) than he got in Texas (which he won). 

Biden's votes in TX+FL combined is still fewer than what he got in California, and he lost both of those states by not close margins.  California's population is just fucking staggering. 17.5 million votes in California and the next closest was Texas at 11.3 million.  California was 11% of the total votes cast in 2020 out of 50 states + DC

Still only 2 senators!  *Laughs in Wyoming* (pop 580K)

• Rage+1 6

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I try to explain what most of California, in terms of area, is actually like, but people really don't get it if they haven't been there.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I try to explain what most of California, in terms of area, is actually like, but people really don't get it if they haven't been there.

People don't get it.  California would be the 38th most populous COUNTRY in the world if it was its own country. That's ridiculous.

Texas and Alaska may be bigger in terms of land, but population-wise, it aint close. 10 million more people than Texas.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

People think this man is intelligent. 

As I listened to the excrement coming out of his mouth and he started talking about his meeting with farmers I immediately thought, here comes a "quote" that will include the word "Sir".  Sure enough.  A sure tell that it's a lie.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

My wife’s family (not MAGA in the least) has a lake house in rural WA. Most MAGA place I’ve ever been. We went up for the 4th two summers ago. MAGA flags everywhere. On every house, on every boat, on every business, on every truck. I saw more confederate flags than I’ve ever seen in Texas. The local small town was having a berry festival complete with a civil war reenactment. Guess which side the locals were cheering for? After that, we decided no more visits on holiday weekends. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, royiv said:

My wife’s family (not MAGA in the least) has a lake house in rural WA. Most MAGA place I’ve ever been. We went up for the 4th two summers ago. MAGA flags everywhere. On every house, on every boat, on every business, on every truck. I saw more confederate flags than I’ve ever seen in Texas. The local small town was having a berry festival complete with a civil war reenactment. Guess which side the locals were cheering for? After that, we decided no more visits on holiday weekends. 

thanks for sharing but you're shaking my belief that Americans are good. While wrong, I can somewhat understand why southerners could cheer on the South in a civil war reenactment but people in WA? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

thanks for sharing but you're shaking my belief that Americans are good. While wrong, I can somewhat understand why southerners could cheer on the South in a civil war reenactment but people in WA? 

Vance is from OHIO - a Union state - and talked about siding with the confederacy. Like bro, some of the best Union generals were from Ohio - Burns, Custer, Garfield, Grant, Hayes,  Sherman. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1