2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

It's not blue states versus red states.  For the most part, it's urban versus rural. 

It's Austin/Houston/San Antonio/Dallas versus the large swaths of rural areas in most of the rest of Texas.

It's Atlanta v. the Georgia mountains.

It's Seattle versus central/eastern Washington.

It's Portland/Eugene versus central/eastern Oregon.

It's southern California/Bay area versus Northern California.

The advantage the blue states have over Texas is that the blue urban areas outnumber the red rural areas, so Democrats control most of state government.  That's the advantage of blue states, from a political perspective (setting aside weather and other factors).  There are politically batshit crazy people all over blue states.  You can't escape that, unless you want to live in a big city or suburb.

Yes, I understand there are a lot of generalizations baked in this post.  But if you're dreaming of relocating to a nice small town in Washington or Oregon, be prepared for your Republican/MAGA/white nationalist neighbors stopping by for a cup of milk.

Sure, you can borrow some milk

dumb and dumber prank GIF

• Haha 2

One thing the Trump/maga movement has shown me is 40% of Americans (and probably 70% of white Americans) are absolutely mean, ignorant, selfish pieces of shit. 
I didn't think that before 2016.  It's really depressing to think that but it's true. 

Definitely selfish. Got into it with another soccer coach. He said he’s a conservative and a constitutional originalist. He wants the government out of “our lives.” What he really means is he wants the government out of his life and doesn’t care about the interference into other peoples lives. He also said he’s a states rights guy. Cool - slavery was also a states issue, along with all the other insane shit the Fed has had to correct. .

You guessed it - middle aged (48?), white, evangelical, upper middle class guy.
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

One thing the Trump/maga movement has shown me is 40% of Americans (and probably 70% of white Americans) are absolutely mean, ignorant, selfish pieces of shit. 

I didn't think that before 2016.  It's really depressing to think that but it's true. 

Heavy lean on ignorance. i.e. a relative of mine who is otherwise a great person telling me a few weeks ago "Oh those aren't real felony charges against him, and thankfully no one believes that they are". Because that's what the talking head on Fox told them, and they believe that they're watching "the news". Just straight up ignorance. 

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harris needs to bite the bullet and address the "ban fracking" comments that she did make in 2019/2020. I don't see it as tough.

Just say, "When I stated ban fracking, it was in context to poor safety practices by a minority of operators. I know and I fully expect that competent drillers perform fracking at the highest levels of safety to the environment, the nearby community and their employees. As long as the operators continue to demonstrate that level of safety, I have zero intention of stopping them from making America energy independent."

If the media disagrees about the context Harris can follow it up that as a senator and VP she has never pushed to ban fracking. Actions speak louder than misinterpretation of a statement.

I don't understand this either. "After 4 years as VP, I've changed my outlooked and opionion on things, much as the world has changed in the last 4 years, starting with ending the dependance on fuels that come from Russia. Changing your mind with new information isn't a gotcha, it's an asset you want in a leader."

37 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

People think this man is intelligent. 

This. Fucking. Idiot. His answer to every question is "Energy" or "Tariffs." That's all he can fucking say. And if he lowers energy costs 50% during his term, this country's economy is fucked for a decade.

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

thanks for sharing but you're shaking my belief that Americans are good. While wrong, I can somewhat understand why southerners could cheer on the South in a civil war reenactment but people in WA? 

What if those people are all transplants from southern states? Also, fox news and the internet reach everywhere...that liberal polices have brought broadband internet to, at least. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

People think this man is intelligent. 

It’s infuriating that none of the rubes even question his nonsense about cutting energy bills in half in 12 months. 

They’re too dumb to even wonder how it could be possible to cut energy prices to 1980s rates. 

And it’s that way with every absurd claim he ever makes. It’s not even questioned. 

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Heavy lean on ignorance. i.e. a relative of mine who is otherwise a great person telling me a few weeks ago "Oh those aren't real felony charges against him, and thankfully no one believes that they are". Because that's what the talking head on Fox told them, and they believe that they're watching "the news". Just straight up ignorance. 

Meanwhile they’d never consider hiring someone with a felony conviction on their record, regardless of the circumstances, let alone dozens of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

They can work remotely 

My point is that contrary to popular belief: They aren't here in DC fucking around.  They are mostly back in their districts.  Congress hasn't been heavily DC based in decades. 

I don't disagree with your point that the House needs to be expanded. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Trump is in a secure location and he’s fighting from there, alongside loyal forces of the US military who are preparing for decisive action against the deep state traitors who are desperate to remove Trump from power by any means necessary.

January 6, 2021 post by Ttom Terrific.

Do you remember that happened? Because I don’t remember that whole thing where Trump and the loyal military took decisive action against the traitors who were trying to remove him.   

What amazes me is not only that people exist who believed that - but the fact that none of it was true simply finds no entry into their current thought process.

The fact at the most basic and simply disproven facts are false in no way dissuades them from thinking they are on the right team - or that the information they currently hear is different than the information that was false that they totally believed in a few years ago. 

it’s like Trump has locked up the mentally ill vote. that is how he got to 45%.

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Rage+1 1

I think the thing that confuses me most about Trump supporters is that a lot of them know he lies all the time, and yet somehow they think the things he says will really happen or are true. Anyone with the brain the size of a walnut understands that you can’t trust anything a liar says about anything, so you can’t trust him to do what you want him to do. It’s crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is stupid fucking advice. Considering the post office is still a shit show and is expected to have issues, and the whole conspiracy aspect in no way disappears with the “going to bed red waking up blue” aspect because of how different states voting rules are laid out, the correct answer is: don’t vote by mail, vote in person early. Your “vote by mail now” actually exacerbates the problem. 

Which is what I’m going to do. That way my vote is counted the second the polls close. There’s no post office ballot to get lost or misplaced. 

Maybe don’t speak so definitely about stupid shit. Of course I realize who I’m talking to on the Internet, I’ve seen your posting for decades. But try, please. 

Voting by mail or voting early in person accomplishes the exact same thing, avoiding logjams on election day.

2 minutes ago, linux said:

Voting by mail or voting early in person accomplishes the exact same thing, avoiding logjams on election day.

Except one is prone to fuckery at the post office, and depending on the state in question, the mail-in votes won't start to be tallied until after the polls close, not before, and after electronic returns as well. Which is why we spent days and days counting various fucking states last election with counts and recounts. 

All of which are factors I addressed in my first response to you, which as usual, you characteristically ingored while doggedly sticking to your initial stupid fucking opinion. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Except one is prone to fuckery at the post office, and depending on the state in question, the mail-in votes won't start to be tallied until after the polls close, not before, and after electronic returns as well. Which is why we spent days and days counting various fucking states last election with counts and recounts. 

All of which are factors I addressed in my first response to you, which as usual, you characteristically ingored while doggedly sticking to your initial stupid fucking opinion. 

There was no evidence of mail in voting being tampered with in the previous elections. You can also track your mail in vote if you are that paranoid about the postal service

https://www.fox9.com/news/track-absentee-ballot-2022-midterm-elections-state-by-state-guide

If you can vote today vote today, by mail or in person.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, heso said:

It’s infuriating that none of the rubes even question his nonsense about cutting energy bills in half in 12 months. 

They’re too dumb to even wonder how it could be possible to cut energy prices to 1980s rates. 

And it’s that way with every absurd claim he ever makes. It’s not even questioned. 

But Kamala hasn't released a 1000 page thesis on each policy position!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, linux said:

There was no evidence of mail in voting being tampered with in the previous elections. You can also track your mail in vote if you are that paranoid about the postal service

https://www.fox9.com/news/track-absentee-ballot-2022-midterm-elections-state-by-state-guide

If you can vote today vote today, by mail or in person.

Because roughly 1%-3% of mail goes missing. We mail hundred of items a week, a shitload of it never gets where it's going. Voting in person is much safer.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, G650 said:

Because roughly 1%-3% of mail goes missing. We mail hundred of items a week, a shitload of it never gets where it's going. Voting in person is much safer.

Very bigly good news that SCOWI re-approved drop boxes then.  Best part of voting in CO - ballot shows up at my mailbox, check off all my options and then I'd drop it in a drop box on my way to work. 

• Hook 'Em 5

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Virginia and Minnesota start early voting on Friday! 

wayward pines GIF

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Very bigly good news that SCOWI re-approved drop boxes then.  Best part of voting in CO - ballot shows up at my mailbox, check off all my options and then I'd drop it in a drop box on my way to work. 

Yeah, I mean that's what I do in Va. Get my mail in ballot and then drop it off. No fuss, no muss.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Again verify that your ballot made it, there are state tools to track your ballot, if it got lost then vote in person.

I never said vote and forget, vote verify and if you need to head out in person. The goal is to avoid logjams on election day, seeing long lines voting in urban centers depress the vote at much greater rates than 1-3% the obvious solution would have been to prevent Republican interference on closing voting centers but it is too late for that.

If you can vote early in person then it is preferable to the above.

Edited by linux
  • Hook 'Em 1