2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Because roughly 1%-3% of mail goes missing. We mail hundred of items a week, a shitload of it never gets where it's going. Voting in person is much safer.

LOL, no.  All states should do it like CO does it.  Ballots sent out ~4 weeks prior to the election (along with a blue book that explains each ballot issue and the pros/cons of each).  You can send them back at any time.  And if you don't want to mail it, there are secure dropboxes everywhere (public libraries, DMV offices, etc).  There are probably 5 dropboxes within a 3 mile radius of my house.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Very bigly good news that SCOWI re-approved drop boxes then.  Best part of voting in CO - ballot shows up at my mailbox, check off all my options and then I'd drop it in a drop box on my way to work. 

I just posted the same thing.  People who have never voted here don't understand how much better it is.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, linux said:

Again verify that your ballot made it, there are state tools to track your ballot, if it got lost then vote in person.

That's one other item about voting in CO I forgot until you mentioned this.  I get a text when my ballot is received and another one when it's approved to be counted.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

LOL, no.  All states should do it like CO does it.  Ballots sent out ~4 weeks prior to the election (along with a blue book that explains each ballot issue and the pros/cons of each).  You can send them back at any time.  And if you don't want to mail it, there are secure dropboxes everywhere (public libraries, DMV offices, etc).  There are probably 5 dropboxes within a 3 mile radius of my house.  

Same here in Washington.  And not just for federal elections - even the shitty little local ones get mailed ballots and explainers.  

And I was asked if I wanted to register to vote when I went in to get my DL (which was also ridiculously quick and easy).

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Same here in Washington.  And not just for federal elections - even the shitty little local ones get mailed ballots and explainers.  

And I was asked if I wanted to register to vote when I went in to get my DL (which was also ridiculously quick and easy).

Yep.  Same, same.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I just posted the same thing.  People who have never voted here don't understand how much better it is.

My dude, I am like 4 weeks from being back in Denver for good.  Everything picked up so fast from "oh maybe November" to "ummm, 4 weeks?" 

I think I can still register in time to vote in CO before the election - I think the deadline is like, 10/26?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

When I moved from Bellevue to North Seattle (rental to rental), I was automatically re-registered for the new location. It is staggering how different it is when your government wants you to vote.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My dude, I am like 4 weeks from being back in Denver for good.  Everything picked up so fast from "oh maybe November" to "ummm, 4 weeks?" 

I think I can still register in time to vote in CO before the election - I think the deadline is like, 10/26?

You can register on November 5th for in person voting, although it may be more complicated if you don't have a state ID.  (Not suggesting you test that theory.) 

link

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

The rural vs urban thing is more logical.  Rural people don’t engage in society in the same way urban people, 

Well, kinda....

As my wife and I drove home yesterday from the palouse back to our island on the coast, she asked me why the wheat farmers showed such strong support for trump. After trying to come up with contrasting examples to non-trumpers,  I had to settle  for 'lack of education'.

On another note, our new pup was exceptional on his first pheasant hunting trip. Waaaay beyond my expectations. He was worth the drive to Wisconsin.

52 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My MIL is like this.  She justifies it by saying they all lie all the time, so his lying is somehow justified because everyone does it.

These are not serious people. They know they are wrong, but use this flimsy argument to convince themselves they aren’t bad people. They are wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

can anyone not a finance bro give me a 1-2 line summary of why this rate cut is happening now and if it's good/bad and what it's indicative of? wish US economics was on my continuing education list for my license, but sadly it's not.

it's kinda cool after all the iterations of this board over the years I feel comfortable asking this question here. past versions of the cloak room would have seen hyenas pouncing on meat after that question. also loaded with insults. lots and lots of insults.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

can anyone not a finance bro give me a 1-2 line summary of why this rate cut is happening now and if it's good/bad and what it's indicative of? wish US economics was on my continuing education list for my license, but sadly it's not.

it's kinda cool after all the iterations of this board over the years I feel comfortable asking this question here. past versions of the cloak room would have seen hyenas pouncing on meat after that question. also loaded with insults. lots and lots of insults.

Fuck you for asking this you useless pustule!

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Overall the fed as seen enough data to show inflation lowering and their other mandate is a healthy employment rate. Which unemployment rate has been ticking up. They don’t want the economy to cool too much to slip into a recession. 

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Lower interest rates are good for folks trying to buy homes. It's also good for folks who are trying to sell their businesses, or borrow money to attempt to grow their businesses. When interest rates are high, big corporations hoard their cash and sit on it, where it does nothing beneficial for anyone, becuase they don't want to "waste" a massive chunk of their investments and potential profits in paying interest on loans they take out to finance whatever the fuck they're doing. In that vein, it also inhibits large and small scale construction, automobile purchases, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

I have no problem with anyone endorsing or not endorsing any candidate, and like Mahomes, I can get along with people who disagree with me politically. I operate on the belief that the vast majority of us in the middle want similar outcomes and mostly disagree on the best routes to those outcomes ... and it's the fringe extremists that are fucking things up.

Favre, though. Just such a fucking pos hypocrite. Basically he's fine with anyone endorsing Trump, fine with people not endorsing a candidate at all, and has a problem with non-QB celebs endorsing candidates. Such a bizarre, self-unaware take.

I understand that he is a hypocrite, I am not denying your post, I am just working from strategic thinking, I peruse F16 on Texags not because I care what they think, but because I have noticed a rapid drop in morale and mobilization, which is the real goal (so many decades long fascist posters don't even post anymore because they are burnt out). Having Favre whine about endorsements, having Trump cry that he hates Taylor Swift, are all wins.

Edited by linux
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lower interest rates are good for folks trying to buy homes. It's also good for folks who are trying to sell their businesses, or borrow money to attempt to grow their businesses. When interest rates are high, big corporations hoard their cash and sit on it, where it does nothing beneficial for anyone, becuase they don't want to "waste" a massive chunk of their investments and potential profits in paying interest on loans they take out to finance whatever the fuck they're doing. In that vein, it also inhibits large and small scale construction, automobile purchases, etc. 

just to add on, lower interest rates are fantastic for everything as long as inflation isn't running away. It's why we had such a long period of low interest rates here with appropriate inflation. You want people to spend "future" money as cheaply as possibly and confidently so they can scale/grow the economic engine. When you have a much higher interest rate, for a long period of time, it's meant to be restrictive and force people to "de-leverage" their debt either by paying it off (because they can't refi when it comes due) or by not adding to the debt pile because it's unattractive to grow unless it's a slam dunk. 

In the financial markets lower rates also help with the debt servicing requirement of the treasury as that rate will go down and the government will owe less in interest payments because of that. It's a big deal, they can also "refi" their current debt holdings at lower interest rates as they are lowered by the fed. 

Eventually when rates return to something in the 3-4% range when we get back to the "new normal" in the next 18 months you'll see quite a bit of deleveraging and the national debt service will become substantially less of a burden. The US gov will also likely stop borrowing as aggressively because corporations themselves will borrow and hire to grow vs the government needing to borrow to subsidize etc.

The government took one on the chin and the American people are "on the hook" for it, but there's a way to gracefully deleverage with issuance of new debt at much lower interest rates paying off the principle of the old debt. There aren't that many long term bonds that are at the insanely high rate (10/15/20/25/30 year coupon treasuries).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, linux said:

I understand that he is a hypocrite, I am not denying your post, I am just working from strategic thinking, I peruse F16 on Texags not because I care what they think, but because I have noticed a rapid drop in morale and mobilization, which is the real goal (so many decades long legacy posters don't even post anymore because they are burnt out). Having Favre whine about endorsements, having Trump cry that he hates Taylor Swift, are all wins.

Sorry. Didn't mean for it to sound like I was trying to convince you of anything. I get where you're coming from & I agree. I was just continuing my rant on the idiotic Favruh take.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Teamsters decline to endorse -

what fucking gutless pussies. 

I dont know why anyone is surprised. Considering their president showed up at the Republican national convention, I didn't see a world where they'd endorse harris unless that yutz was fired at the same time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

3d03000d-69dd-4241-868b-0bd826572d10_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont know why anyone is surprised. Considering their president showed up at the Republican national convention, I didn't see a world where they'd endorse harris unless that yutz was fired at the same time. 

Weirdly enough, the rank and file backed Biden 44-36 but back Trump 58-31 over Harris. So maybe a good thing the leadership did not endorse