2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

That’s less than ideal

Estimates aren’t polls. It’s some statistical analysis from their national poll. They don’t get counted as “polls”

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

"It's the flu" was the one I always chuckled at.

Do any of you understand what a motherfucking killing machine the flu is when a fairly novel or highly virulent strain of it hits?  

I did my own research!

- Some dead trump supporter 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 hours ago, Tuco said:

The one poll that shows Trump leading in PA, AtlasIntel, has Trump with a slight lead with men and leading with women by 6-7.  

538 is showing another poll that shows Trump with a lead in Pennsylvania.  The polling company is Patriot Polling.  It is run by two college sophomores.  They started it two years ago, when they were in high school, as part of young leaders organization.    

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 2

12 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Might be anecdotal, but sure seems like Elon has taken off any attempt to curate Twitter feeds based on activity and are just actively pumping pure right wing nonsense to everyone.  Just nonstop bullshit from the moment I logged on today.

He's absolutely doing that - I've got an account just to follow Ukraine and some sports stuff, and a couple of professional accounts I had to spin back up fro a website, and none of them have ever liked or retweeted or anything involving alt-right bullshit, but in the notifications Leon is promoting the hell out of MAGA.

The amusing thing is with all of that money in the world, he and the people who are being promoted on twitter come off as incels.  Just absolute losers.

Leon has no excuse, he should be on a yacht in the Mediterranean or Caribbean with a bunch of hotties, not trying to get a bunch of bots and basement-dwelling MAGA types to like him.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Here's the map of flooding

Severe flooding from Helene hits western NC; App State/Liberty game  canceled | WAVY.com

here's the map of voting.  obviously, western NC is blue Asheville and red elsewhere.

North Carolina Election Results 2020: Maps show how state voted for  president

Man, I can literally pick out multiple NASCAR and short-track racetracks on that map.

No, seriously, I can.

13 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'll give you the first personal example I can think of. 

I play in an annual golf tournament with 40 dudes that are all around 40-50 years old. Vast majority went to private school, grew up in classic conservative families, married with multiple kids, and work in O&G, attorneys, private equity, etc.  Honestly I truly like all of them, but I'd guess that at least 75% are Trump voters (we don't talk politics on this trip, thankfully). 

Every one of them smokes weed or takes gummies. Don't think it would change many of their votes, but it's a no brainer to loudly be pro-marijuana. 

I thought one of the major reasons to support legalization is that it would get legally reclassified so that actual medical research can be done on it.

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

Batman is a Harris/Walz fan... 

Today I learned that Keaton isn't his surname (it's Douglas, which created an obvious conflict), that he grew up in Pittsburgh, and that one of his first professional gigs was on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood as one of the Flying Zookeeni Brothers:

David Newell on X: "Michael Keaton and Flying Zookeeni brothers. He has a  connection to working on the neighborhood in the earlier days. It's where  he got his start and Fred said

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Do any of you understand what a motherfucking killing machine the flu is when a fairly novel or highly virulent strain of it hits?  

. . . and more Americans died of Covid in the first 2 months of the pandemic than die in a bad flu year.  One year in, almost 10X as many had died.  No big deal.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

The Office Thank You GIF

This has bee one of my pet peeves for years, way before Covid. Every time someone gets a minor head cold and goes 'oh I have the flu'. No motherfucker you do not have the goddamn flu

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

This has bee one of my pet peeves for years, way before Covid. Every time someone gets a minor head cold and goes 'oh I have the flu'. No motherfucker you do not have the goddamn flu

I've had the flu twice that I know of.  The flu sucks.  It's so far beyond a cold or allergies, but time can dim those memories.  I'll usually pity myself for a few minutes and then realize "hey, remember when you had the flu, and were bedridden for days with a high cycling fever, intense body aches, and overwhelming fatigue?"

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've had the flu twice that I know of.  The flu sucks.  It's so far beyond a cold or allergies, but time can dim those memories.  I'll usually pity myself for a few minutes and then realize "hey, remember when you had the flu, and were bedridden for days with a high cycling fever, intense body aches, and overwhelming fatigue?"

The last time I had it i was 6 years old. It was the sickest I've ever been in my life.... till I got Covid this year. Nothing else I've ever had comes close to those two events.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Troy Smith has a Heisman and Vince Young doesn’t. The world has been fucked for a long time.

Plus Kris got 1,000x more out of his 88 years than the orange cunt has in his abomination of a life.

Yeah but Troy Smith has PTSD from that Fiesta Bowl

BOWLED OVER

Interesting article about female Gen Xers having outsized support of Trump.

https://wapo.st/3ZGWAI0

Premise is shaky, but it is this:

In an August poll of registered voters, sponsored by The Washington Post, ABC News and Ipsos, 51 percent of female voters preferred Harris, compared with 44 percent for Trump. Broken down by generation, Gen Z favored Harris over Trump 60 to 30; millennials favored her 61 to 35. (Some respondents said they supported neither candidate.) Boomers’ and older women’s support of Harris was roughly equal to their support of Trump (48 percent for Harris and 47 percent for Trump), which makes some sense if you believe that voters get more conservative as they age.

But the numbers from Gen X, a cohort younger than boomers, were the opposite. Only 41 percent of Gen X women (born 1965-1980) said they supported Harris, compared with 54 percent who said they supported Trump.

(Author acknowledges premise is shaky later in the article.  Maybe that poll cited is just wrong).

She goes and contacts some of the people polled who said they're open to discussing.  Reasons include the retarded:

One woman mentioned that she’s grateful that Trump had given up his own money to the American public during the pandemic. It was only after getting off the phone that I realized she was probably referring to the stimulus checks that had borne Trump’s name — even though the money didn’t come from his personal account, but from the government.

Not really any conclusion drawn except that this is a generation of scared people.

When I asked that question, one woman grew emotional as she described going to the food bank for her groceries in recent years — years that happened to coincide with the Biden administration — because her cost of living had increased too much for the supermarket. Some of her friends were considering getting roommates, after years of living independently.

That wouldn’t have been a big deal if they were all in their 20s, when being poor is a rite of passage, the woman said. But it feels humiliating in their 50s. She said they didn’t feel as if they could vote with the forward-looking idealism of younger generations or the backward-looking benevolence of the boomers. She talked about what it means to be a woman approaching 60, middle age in the rearview, scared and broke and wanting to shop at a grocery store again.

Tonight Walz needs to explicitly state that JD is the driving force behind MAGA and the campaign. Several times. Trump will be seething if anyone even implied the campaign wasn't solely about him.

I believe Trump would put JD on the sidelines if Walz made this comment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 6:11 PM, cactusflinthead said:

I'm sure all of those remarks and his befuddled delivery of them were thoroughly discussed on CNN and the network news.

• Unleash police officers for (more) brutality.
  • He cheated workers.
  • He continues to lie about the past election.
  • He is rabble-rousing about that lie to discredit the coming election.
  • He can't stay on point for more than a few phrases and can't even generate a compound sentence.

America is so polarized now. Both sides are basically the same, they're just polarized and bickering all the time.

Real jounalists must be throwing up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

We have journalists? Sure feels more like we have a bunch of sales people pretending to be journalists and newspeople by peddling fear and horse races for profit in slave to their corporate overlord bosses 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tonight Walz needs to explicitly state that JD is the driving force behind MAGA and the campaign.

But he has to use terms like Walz is the "idea guy". He's the "smart one of the two".  He's the likely President given Trump's "age, his confusion at his rally's and his obvious poor health."

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

(Author acknowledges premise is shaky later in the article.  Maybe that poll cited is just wrong).

She goes and contacts some of the people polled who said they're open to discussing.  Reasons include the retarded:

Not really any conclusion drawn except that this is a generation of scared people.

I'm in the middle of the GenX age range and it wouldn't surprise me that GenXers are on the Trump side. Many are scared of the future and retirement is rapidly approaching. When you have uncertainties of your economic future, it's easy to fall prey to lies that today and the future will be financially worse under Harris.

Social media has proven that people are more likely to engage with negative than positive. Saying, "Harris will destroy America" hits emotions more than "Trump will improve the economy." Many Gen X women love their Facebook. 

4 hours ago, G650 said:

The Office Thank You GIF

The line I always use is if you have the energy to complain about it, you have a bad cold.  With the flu, its a struggle to make it to the bathroom to piss. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The line I always use is if you have the energy to complain about it, you have a bad cold.  With the flu, its a struggle to make it to the bathroom to piss. 

The only 3 things to kick my ass like that were Covid, the flu and mono

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The only 3 things to kick my ass like that were Covid, the flu and mono

The only thing that kicked my ass like that was Dengue and it damned near put me down.  

We just had Phil Cox talk to us at our conference - he runs Elon's America PAC. First off, he was a great speaker with great insights and for a guy that is clearly team Trump, he kept it about as neutral as you can imagine. It was refreshing.

Some interesting tidbits based on their internal polling - they feel strong about GA and AZ for Trump. Like outside margin of error. He also said PA and WI are outside the margin of error for Harris. MI and NC are the dead heats in their view. 

From COVID, PA has seen net migration from NY, bolstering their registered Dems. FL has shifted from +300k D to +1M R and a lot of that came from PA, WI - hence why they think they are both safe D states. AZ has seen CA Rs migrate. MI is a Muslim problem for the Democrats - they are pissed at the D party and they have no home with the Rs so they may stay home.

Senate goes R pretty clearly in their view. 

Apologies for the disorganized recap but it was a very interesting talk.

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Well, she's broke because she's a fucking moron who thinks Trump gave his own money as stimulus.  Geezus jumped-up Christ.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

I find the whole Gen X Trump support so bizarre as it's antithetical to everything I know and lived about my generation. So many Gen X stereotypes were real in a lot of ways, but also one has to recognize the complexity of human lived experience obviously, so I always temper this with the fact that the vast majority of people are just very average suburbanites. And it wasn't a monoculture that people make it out to be either. It's still jarring to see.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

He also said PA and WI are outside the margin of error for Harris.

They certainly aren't campaigning like that is true.  Considering Trump is in WI today (right smack dab during a Brewers' playoff game) 

Just now, G650 said:

I find the whole Gen X Trump support so bizarre as it's antithetical to everything I know and lived about my generation. So many Gen X stereotypes were real in a lot of ways, but also one has to recognize the complexity of human lived experience obviously, so I always temper this with the fact that the vast majority of people are just very average suburbanites. And it wasn't a monoculture that people make it out to be either. It's still jarring to see.

The older Gen X that came of age under Reagan have never really waivered from the GOP.  They've always been there.  Unfortunately/fortunately, as a Gen X, I can confidently say: It probably doesn't matter since their are hardly any of us to begin with.  

Gen X: nobody gives a fuck about you except for your quality taste in music. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Michigan is not a toss up.  The Democrats have decimated the Republicans at every level.  They're not going to turn around and vote Trump, regardless of the Dearborn Caucus.

Hey remember in 2022 with Tudor Dixon (lol) was polling neck and neck with Whitmer?

Whitmer defeated Dixon by a margin of roughly 10.5 percentage points, a wider margin than polls indicated as well as a wider margin than Whitmer's first victory four years prior.

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

The older Gen X that came of age under Reagan have never really waivered from the GOP.  They've always been there.  Unfortunately/fortunately, as a Gen X, I can confidently say: It probably doesn't matter since their are hardly any of us to begin with.  

Gen X: nobody gives a fuck about you except for your quality taste in music. 

Over the next 8-10 years as boomers continue to die and millennials and genz take root in voting they're largely irrelevant because numbers

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

IMG_7418.png

IMG_7419.png

Yep, and we all know people or are related to people who did similar shit - going to weddings, movies, games, restaurants, clubs, etc while knowingly infected. There's a special place in hell ...

16 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Is anyone else seeing the Kamala changes her mind a lot, but one thing she hasn't and won't change her mind on is Israel commercial during football? 

It is playing itself as a Pro Harris ad but seems very back handed with the "compliments" if not subtle insults. Then it dawned on me that there is a large contingent of Arabs in my metro area. Interesting.

I looked for the ad on YT but couldn't find it. 

@chainsaw Found the pac when the same ad started littering my Twitter feed. As I suspected, it's a fake Pro Kamala ad. Turns out they are running similar ads that paint her as Pro Palestinian in areas with high populations of Jewish people. 

https://jewishinsider.com/2024/09/future-coalition-pac-kamala-harris-microtargeting-muslim-jewish-voters/

Michigan does have a bit of an Arab problem. On the Christian side they are all Pro Cheeto because they have long been single issue voters tied to the abortion issue. On the Muslim side they are pissed at Biden about Israel and for some reason think that Trump is going to be less Pro Netanyahu, which I cannot understand. 

I still think we will be firmly blue come November but stuff like the Mayor of Hamtramck publicly endorsing Trump continues to amaze me. 

https://www.wxyz.com/news/voices/hamtramck-residents-react-to-mayor-amer-ghalib-endorsing-donald-trump

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep, and we all know people or are related to people who did similar shit - going to weddings, movies, games, restaurants, clubs, etc while knowingly infected. There's a special place in hell ...

I can't put any data to it, but I actually think Covid has killed off a statistically significant portion of the GOP voter base, and it's effecting outcomes at the polls.